• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Teknoman

^crap in a hat

hey, is there anywhere good besides ebay to pick up a few titles (even loose)? looking for Devil's Crush, Ninja Spirit, Legendary Axe, Splatterhouse (JP), Air Zonk, Die Hard (JP) and to a lesser extent Vigilante & R-Type,few others...waiting for non buy it now auctions is a bitch, heh

I'd say PCenginefx.com, pretty cool community over there.

Here is my games collection:

1943 Kai
Alien Crush
Cyber Core
Darius Plus
Devil Crash
Dragon Saber
Image Fight
Mr Heli
New Zealand Story
Operation Wolf
Parodius
PC Genjin
PC Genjin 2
PC Genjin 3
PC Denjin Punkic Cyborg

Power Eleven
R-Type
R-Type 2
S.C.I. Special Criminal Investigation
Salamander
Shinobi
Shubibinman 2
Space Harrier
Splatterhouse
Time Cruise 2
Vigilante

Bolded are my favorite and personal recommendations, Devil's Crash, Splatterhouse and PC Genjin (Bonk) series above all.
I would have loved to see RPG Genjin come to reality but unfortunately it never happened :(

Damn you Konami, why did you kill Hudson :(

I have still 12 games in my wishlist of which 5 are CD games and 7 Hu Cards.
One of those CD games is Sapphire, of which unfortunately I doubt I'll ever own a copy :p

Garland7G

Had one of these back in the day, no idea what happened to it. Some of my favorite games were Bonk and Vietnam 1975, goodtimes.
Oh and splatterhouse, how could I forget that one!

NYCrooner

While not the best console I ever owned, it's easily the most passionate I ever was about a console. Absolutely adored that thing.

IrishNinja

checking out that site tekno, and thanks for the recommendations shinka!

wow air zonk is better than i remember, and atomic robo kid is definitely better than the genesis one i played years back...what other genny games got better versions here? forgotten worlds?

IrishNinja

^right, but...that's neo geo, that scene was always baller

i love how many of these games animate stuff while on pause, it's a cool detail

from shinkansen's list:

Mr Heli - this was tricky at first, but pretty cool
Power Eleven - man this would be way cooler multiplayer, haha
S.C.I. Special Criminal Investigation - didn't know what to expect with this one, pretty fun!
Salamander - this series is so brutal for me
Shubibinman 2 - nice, kind've a mega man thing going here, surprised id not heard of this one

also Neutopia seems cool but its pretty blatantly the TG16 zelda, eh

Power Eleven - man this would be way cooler multiplayer, haha
S.C.I. Special Criminal Investigation - didn't know what to expect with this one, pretty fun!
Shubibinman 2 - nice, kind've a mega man thing going here, surprised id not heard of this one

Power Eleven is amazing in multiplayer, we spent hundreds of hours playing with my friends!
Also because it was the only soccer game available at the time, but yeah! :p
Good thing I had a multitap!

SCI is also one of my personal favorites, I can't think of a more involving arcade police racer.

Shubibinman has a very interesting art style, I always wanted to know the story behind it since I couldn't read Japanese at the time.
1 and 3 are on my hunt list now, if I manage to get the entire trilogy a marathon is in order!
Also watch out, it's pretty difficult!

tebunker

Banned
While not the best console I ever owned, it's easily the most passionate I ever was about a console. Absolutely adored that thing.

This, times 100x.

After reading this thread I got the bug, but I have no idea where to start. It looks like I want the DUO-RX for the 6 button controller, and preferably one that is modded to play all Hucards? Then if I wanted the Arcade card that would be an option. Also, I wouldn't even know if I have a tv that could accept an RGB modded one, where would I look for that info.

I guess a Duo-R is effectively the same as the Rx.

Any other help pointing in the right direction is helpful.

I had a TG-16 that I sold/traded as a kid, and Turbo Duo that I am pretty sure I traded for cash and Magic Cards, and I regret it. I had all kinds of great stuff, nearly 50 hucards, and a ton of Super Cds. Really wanted the second Exile and Dragon Slayer and I regret never getting them.

Also someone asked about Vasteel earlier, I loved that game, crazy jazz soundtrack, and a weird mix of hex based strategy and action based fights.

anyways, appreciate any help pointing in the right direction. I may have to sell something to afford this.

ugh, urge to spend money I don't have is rising. I really want to hunt one of these

Celine

Shubibinman 2
Shubibinman 3 is allegedly the best in the series (with zero on SNES).
Still waiting for my copy to arrive.

checking out that site tekno, and thanks for the recommendations shinka!

wow air zonk is better than i remember, and atomic robo kid is definitely better than the genesis one i played years back...what other genny games got better versions here? forgotten worlds?
That's a big (and long) question to answer to.
So I just left this link here:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6609.1080

meppi

anything i can do to help, lemme know! i used to donate scans to retromag before they lost some stuff when megaupload went down, i really do wish we had more gaming mags archived. totally with you on rare gems too!

Thanks for the offer! :)
I actually helped rebuild that site, but left and created my own after they turned into greedy *ssholes and did some other stuff I don't want to go into.
Let's just say we have different opinions of what preservation means and what it means to actually support publishers in more than just words.
Like not downloading and distributing new copies of Retro Gamer on torrent sites and then pretending to have a subscription when they actually don't...
:-/

But enough of that.
I'm mostly looking for UK magazines, but I'm certainly interested in doing classic Japanese magazines in the future as well. There are actually a couple of nice Japanese PC-Engine magazines that I would love to work on since the system didn't get much coverage around the world.
Overall I have a lot of magazines already and have a difficult time to get through all of them already due to the painstakingly time consuming process I go through when restoring them. And the recent health issues aren't really helping.
But I am missing several UK Club Nintendo issues that I've been looking for for a long time. Mostly the very first ones.

IrishNinja

^that's pretty shitty...also makes me feel shitty for not yet subbing to retro gamers, ive meant to forever but it's about the same price as picking it up from the one bookstore that stocks it out here! what sucks is, i just missed last month's SMS thing and im dying for that issue now

do you guys have a good resource showing the differences in games per region? was trying to find out specifically what things were changed/censored in the US versions of stuff like Devil's Crush, Splatterhouse etc before deciding what to go with...i imagine that PCE forum ive been meaning to join might have a thread

Teknoman

Splatterhouse JP has the white mask instead of raspberry face, and keeps the cross/church imagery in one of the boss areas.

CDs are universal, so dont have to worry there.

IrishNinja

eh, funny to think they might've felt a friday the 13th lawsuit was a real risk at the time...that's not too bad a change, the JP one seems to go for like $20 more on ebay so that one' a toss up. is Devil's Crush just some more pentagrams? cause that one doesn't look cheap on either side.

any other notable games with changes?

eh, funny to think they might've felt a friday the 13th lawsuit was a real risk at the time...that's not too bad a change, the JP one seems to go for like $20 more on ebay so that one' a toss up. is Devil's Crush just some more pentagrams? cause that one doesn't look cheap on either side.

any other notable games with changes?

Bonk 2 and maybe 3, the second power up in the Japanese version is a genderswap, in the US version it was changed to a normal caveman.

woodypop

Went to the Seattle Retro Gaming Expo over the weekend. Not a lot of attractive PCE/TG-16 stuff. Most of it was either too expensive, or stuff I already have. But I did get a few odds and ends for $5.

046F7B23-4F50-4FB3-9C0B-4CD85C5FBBBA-20677-000010D1AB578E5E_zpsebda703b.jpg

Since my TG-16s were bought used/loose, I never had an instruction manual before. Also, I've been short one expansion port cover since one of my units came with a Turbo Booster instead. In my experience, Turbo Boosters are much easier to come by than standard expansion port covers or Turbo Booster Pluses!

Mzo

Just got a TG16 with a Turbo Booster and some games:

Alien Crush, Blazing Lazers, China Warrior, Fantasy Zone, Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, The Legendary Axe, New Adventure Island, Splatterhouse, Vigilante, Victory Run, and Power Golf (who cares).

New Adventure Island is amazing and puts Super Adventure Island to shame. Vigilante is roughly 1000x better than the horrible SMS port.

IrishNinja

aw, booster lets you save without passwords? that sounds handy! wonder if my Duo R can use something like that, heh

Vigilante is roughly 1000x better than the horrible SMS port.

nice haul! and yeah video i saw made it look as such, ive got an offer on ebay for a loose one shipped at $9, think im gonna bite...loved it on SMS in the day somehow

Dicer

Banned
aw, booster lets you save without passwords? that sounds handy! wonder if my Duo R can use something like that, heh

nice haul! and yeah video i saw made it look as such, ive got an offer on ebay for a loose one shipped at $9, think im gonna bite...loved it on SMS in the day somehow

Duo's have built in save memory

woodypop

I'm pretty sure it's the Turbo Booster Plus that adds saves. Vanilla Turbo Booster simply allows for composite output, if I remember correctly.

Teknoman

Damn, I need New Adventure Island in that case. But I guess you just mean gameplay wise? Dunno if anything can top Yuzo's soundtrack for Super. Like summer in a cartridge.

Mzo

Damn, I need New Adventure Island in that case. But I guess you just mean gameplay wise? Dunno if anything can top Yuzo's soundtrack for Super. Like summer in a cartridge.

Gameplay, animation, level design... I think it's better in almost every way =X

Phase 2 of my plan is to get either a Duo R or RX for Japanese HuCards and all the CD games. Soon...

Celine

Today arrived Shubibinman 3.
Soon I'll write my impression.

oh yeah? man this unit is awesome!
It is but keep it hooked up to power or else after awhile (few weeks?) the saves are lost.

That actually isn't half bad for me since that mean I play my Duo-R at least once per week.

New Adventure Island is amazing and puts Super Adventure Island to shame. Vigilante is roughly 1000x better than the horrible SMS port.
Yeah one of the best platform game on the system.
Gameplay is old-style, very simple but addicting.

Bosses could have been better though.

IrishNinja

aw mannnnn.....finally got the AC for my duo R, now whether i put in legit discs or burns, startup seems to load & then spits out "please set disc"...hope i can sort this out on my end without mailing it back to dude in japan to fix

Celine

aw mannnnn.....finally got the AC for my duo R, now whether i put in legit discs or burns, startup seems to load & then spits out "please set disc"...hope i can sort this out on my end without mailing it back to dude in japan to fix
What's AC? Arcade Card?

holy crap...thanks for telling me this! idve been so upset, alternating plugs...this should be written somewhere on the system, haha
BlackFalcon did a good post in the first page:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54652089&postcount=18

Yes Boss!

Are you confirming your Adapter has enough power/rating? Maybe it has enough power to start up and spin a little but not enough to sustain.

In other news, my cheapy PSONE adapter I'd been using for my Duo just all-of-a-sudden died. I leave it always plugged into the wall so maybe that was the culprit. It was a ghetto chinese knock-off. I ordered another one from Retrogamecave.

IrishNinja

What's AC? Arcade Card?

BlackFalcon did a good post in the first page:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54652089&postcount=18

AC/power adapter, my bad...and im gonna go read that post soon, thanks!

Are you confirming your Adapter has enough power/rating? Maybe it has enough power to start up and spin a little but not enough to sustain.

In other news, my cheapy PSONE adapter I'd been using for my Duo just all-of-a-sudden died. I leave it always plugged into the wall so maybe that was the culprit. It was a ghetto chinese knock-off. I ordered another one from Retrogamecave.

hasn't thought of that...i too am using a cheap PS one adapter, voltage matched what the seller said would work. could this be the culprit?

amazon said this about its specs:

Original Sony OEM Power Adapter
Model # SCPH-113 (also 121?)
Input AC 120V
Output DC 7.5V, 3.0A

seller had instructed:

If you have to spare, I recommend to use PSone AC adapter(DC7.5 2.0A).

how much would you guys spend for a boxed cdrom² system in good condition? (with manuals, cabels, powersupply, systemcard and a working cd drive + pc engine.

haven't looked on ebay lately, so i'm not sure about the current price point
i have 2 systems at home.. not sure if i need them both

Yes Boss!

i too am using a cheap PS one adapter, voltage matched what the seller said would work. could this be the culprit?

amazon said this about its specs:

seller had instructed:

Yeah, that is why I used a cheapy PS One adapter. But after sitting idle a month with it plugged in my Duo gets no power. I'm thinking the adapter just was cheap and fried out. I did get the Retrogamecave adapter in my PO BOX today...will likely pick it up on Saturday.

IrishNinja

^yeah post back if you have better luck with the game cave one - i emailed the seller the specs of my AC and he said to "Please try to adjust VR102(#1)."

http://homepage3.nifty.com/moremaco/slv.htm

...man engrish aside this is kinda over my head. really dont wanna send it back to him just to have something happen again en route, hoping to have a friend/fellow gaffer try this out tomorrow. also wishing the PCE forum would approve my registration so i could have a chance at asking people who may've done this about the specifics....

IrishNinja

hey Yes Boss!, keep me in the loop - guy on pcenginefx just mentioned that your retro game cave AC is 9v, while my PSX is 7v...wonder if that's the issue? could it have enough power to startup but now play a game, does that make sense?

Yes Boss!

hey Yes Boss!, keep me in the loop - guy on pcenginefx just mentioned that your retro game cave AC is 9v, while my PSX is 7v...wonder if that's the issue? could it have enough power to startup but now play a game, does that make sense?

Oh yeah, for sure.

But my 7V adapter was working fine (for a few weeks). I'm hoping it is just the adapter and not the unit that is dead. I'll be picking up my my retrogamecave adapter on saturday...trying to maximize my walk out to my PO BOX so that I can get my SMT IV at the same tiem.

baphomet

I'm just going to throw this out here. I've got an RGB modded US N64 I'd be willing to trade for a base PC Engine or TG-16. There's picture in the BST thread if anyone wants to see it. I've got 2 and I really want to start playing some NEC stuff.

IrishNinja

weird...Blazing Lazers showed up, and hucards work fine, just not CD's..PCE forum still says i need to get a proper 9v PSU first (lest i damage the system) so im gonna go by radio shack in the morning, but if that doesnt fix the disc playing issue im gonna be bummed!

Yes Boss!

weird...Blazing Lazers showed up, and hucards work fine, just not CD's..PCE forum still says i need to get a proper 9v PSU first (lest i damage the system) so im gonna go by radio shack in the morning, but if that doesnt fix the disc playing issue im gonna be bummed!

Well, that is weird. Definitely sounds like a power thing.

Also, I tried my old adapter that I though was broken and it is now working fine (even CD playback). It is the knock-off PSONE with the below rating:

IrishNinja

....@#$%

see that's what makes me think i'm gonna buy this AC and still have the same issue/need to open this thing up and mess with it. the seller insisted this voltage was fine, its just a guy on PCengineFX making me think otherwise.

crap now he's saying i need 9 volts and 1000 mA/1A which i don't even see on the radio shack page

*edit we are literally using the exact same PSU there, just checked mine

BoatAck

^that's pretty shitty...also makes me feel shitty for not yet subbing to retro gamers, ive meant to forever but it's about the same price as picking it up from the one bookstore that stocks it out here! what sucks is, i just missed last month's SMS thing and im dying for that issue now

You can still get the Master System issue directly from Imagine Shop.

IrishNinja

my MG2 compatible PSU:

INPUT: 100-240V AC
50/60Hz
OUTPUT: 9V DC 1A (1000mA)

That's exactly the same parameters of my original Duo-R PSU.

can't seem to finding an exact one on ebay, really should just go with retrogamecave already but they ship so slowwww

Yes Boss!

What is a fair price for a PC Engine Duo r with a region free cd card?

$200 minimum. $200-250 average. Maybe a little more with mods. Actual card is built in the later models (unlike the first system). Region-free is a little simpler...maybe a $1 additional value if it is done for you.

But you should be able to find one in J-land for $150 or cheaper...might have to do a little work on it though.

Top Bottom