• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda 3DS Impressions and Gameplay footage

Tnetennba

Really impressed with the speed it seems to be moving at. Still not completely sold on the art-style but as long as the gameplay's tight then that really isn't a problem

duckroll

Didn't watch much of the gameplay footage yet, but I read a few of the previews. Seems pretty positive. Still don't see any confirmation if they're making subweapons infinite yet. But I'm less worried about that if the game holds up in general. I want lots of dungeons, and lots of GOOD puzzles and bosses. At least Nintendo isn't going to make us wait too long for this.

Woah. First dungeon publicly shown and they're already getting crazy with this mural thing.

Sessler's video got me excited- the footage looks effin' great. The idea that Zelda is finally getting truly portable is certainly an exciting one.

Now bring back Kinstones.

(Oh, and Dream Team looks like a GOTY candidate already.)

Davey Cakes

Just watched Sessler's impressions. He seemed really enthusiastic and his impressions of Zelda in particular (but also M&L4) really quelled my fears about it.

Didn't watch much of the gameplay footage yet, but I read a few of the previews. Seems pretty positive. Still don't see any confirmation if they're making subweapons infinite yet. But I'm less worried about that if the game holds up in general. I want lots of dungeons, and lots of GOOD puzzles and bosses. At least Nintendo isn't going to make us wait too long for this.
The footage definetly showed infinite arrows and one previewer noted it in the demo. However SS also gave demoers infinite bombs and arrows so it could change although I'm not sure what the point of linking all the sub weapons to the stamina bar would be other than just not to spam them.

DaBoss

Wouldn't worry about that since it is a demo.

Moxx19

Banned
Excellent. One of my biggest fears was that it would feel as slow as the DS games. One of my favourite things about ALTTP was the general fast tempo of the controls and Link's movement.

duckroll

The footage definetly showed infinite arrows and one previewer noted it in the demo. However SS also gave demoers infinite bombs and arrows so it could change although I'm not sure what the point of linking all the sub weapons to the stamina bar would be other than just not to spam them.

Hmmm... Yeah I definitely don't like such a change, but it's not a dealbreaker. Of course I say this now, and then when they unveil the next console Zelda it'll have regenerating health and a cover system I bet! >_<

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The game looks goddamn great in this footage, no reservations.

It seems strange that this game is being developed by the same team as the recent zeldas. Not too say that I haven't enjoyed them but they usually have things slower paced and more hand holdey. Meanwhile this game takes a lot of effort in speeding things up such as autoscrolling text, no awkward pauses like when Link morphs, no npc companion, and overall faster gameplay.

I think it's easy to read too much into the nature of a development team based on individual games. For example, if one game has an intrusive tutorial people will assume "these guys are obsessed with tutorials". But often such decisions are made on a game-by-game basis.

It's a reason why game players often go off about how X developer has "turned to shit" if the developer makes even a single game someone doesn't like. Might be true in some cases but the truth is probably more complex.

Levyne

Banned
Hmmm... Yeah I definitely don't like such a change, but it's not a dealbreaker. Of course I say this now, and then when they unveil the next console Zelda it'll have regenerating health and a cover system I bet! >_<

Finally a Zelda game not stuck in 1998!

DaBoss

In one of the videos, Link's spin attack doesn't seem to take up any stamina/magic.

Hmm, so X and Y are for tools now, meaning Link gets access to 2 tools and his sword at all times. Hopefully this translates to less need to pause and switch tools too often.

In one of the videos, you can see you don't need to pause to switch items. Dat second screen.

Tuck

So.. is this 2D Link thing an item? Or is it a game wide "gimmick" / "hook" or whatever?

I just hope they don't go through hoops to write the gameplay hook into the story like they did with Spirit Tracks...

serplux

Hmm, so X and Y are for tools now, meaning Link gets access to 2 tools and his sword at all times. Hopefully this translates to less need to pause and switch tools too often.

Shit, this is the first 2D Zelda where you're not limited to having only one item besides your sword at one time! It's definitely going to make gameplay faster, which looks like what the 3DS Zelda is all about.

duckroll

I'm actually pretty happy with the 2-tool system they're going for here. I -really- hope they design puzzles specifically around the new improved limitation. Requiring the player to use more tool synergy would be a great thing for the series.

Circle pad = Move Link in 8 degrees

B button = Swing sword

Hold B button = Charge up sword, starts to glow blue
Release B button = Spin attack

Y button = Swing hammer

X button = Shoot bow and arrow.

Press A button when approaching a wall = Become Paper Link or become normal

Press A button = Advance text or open a chest

Love these lack of stylus controls.

Diablos54

Looking good. Now all Nintendo have to do is change the full health sword effect and I'm in! (I'm in anyway, but it would be nice)

Davey Cakes

Obviously, with Zelda you can't please everyone. There are still some folks who don't like the Wind Waker style of visuals. I'm sure this new game's art style will grow on people, at least.

DaBoss

In one of the videos, Link's spin attack doesn't seem to take up any stamina/magic.

What I was talking about:
alttp2spinailyw.gif

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Looks gorgeous, love how fast and smooth Link's movement is. Anticipation++.

Maedhros

Obviously, with Zelda you can't please everyone. There are still some folks who don't like the Wind Waker style of visuals. I'm sure this new game's art style will grow on people, at least.

I don't understand how people can't like WW style. It makes the game infinitely good looking, even by today standards.

Very happy about this, I was really expecting another 3D touch control Zelda again. If Nintendo listened in this case, maybe we can get a 2D Metroid now? Here's hoping.

I think one could argue that the resource-farming mechanics in the previous zelda games are just relics from the past. I don't think they'd ever go as far as to implement auto regenerating health, but I can definitely see them removing the resource farming almost entirely. And I'm not entirely against that, I think it would make the gameplay slightly less tedious and more focused (or more streamlined, if you prefer).

Broach

Banned
I love the mechanic of turning yourslef into a painting.

As usual really clever puzzle design.

Is it confirmed that this mechanic will be the main gimmick of the game?

Hobbun

I really hope they don't have infinite subweapons. Part of the challenge has always been trying to track down more bombs/arrows.

But I completely agree, I really hope there are a lot of dungeons, and a good amount of them large. It's good to see the dungeon in the demo has over 10 floors, although it seems you mainly only go up than it being spread out. I want a lot of dungeons not only really spread out, but tall, as well. :)

But yes, lots of great puzzles and bosses. Not too happy seeing
Moldrom again. I hope this doesn't just have a repeat of all the ALttP bosses.

zroid

Banned
perfect, this thread was just what I needed. hard to wade through the announcement thread with all the whining! :p

Top Bottom