• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda 3DS Impressions and Gameplay footage

zroid

Banned
Even if "lengthy" sections are ruled out, it is entirely possible for the game to contextualize specific scenarios as required. For example, in the case of a boss, you could suppose the boss casts a spell on Link to turn him into glyph form permanently, and he must do the needful to defeat the boss and transform back. Just a thought.

RagnarokX

It's very possible that time-limit will be extended, either by increasing the magic/stamina bar, or upgrading that ability to use less.

I don't see how jumping makes any less sense than him walking around as is, as he's also not standing on anything. There's really nothing "logical" about his new ability, so the sky's really the limit on what they can do.

If he really does just move back and forth, I think that would be pretty disappointing.

The point is that when you "platform" there are platforms. The way it is now the "ground" is an invisible line running around the wall at the height he was standing when he activated the power. If they're going to add jumping/falling you're going to need to be able to see the "ground" and "platforms" you are jumping to.

eternalb

The point is that when you "platform" there are platforms. The way it is now the platforms are invisible. The "ground" is an invisible line running around the wall at the height he was standing when he activated the power. If they're going to add jumping/falling you're going to need to be able to see the "ground" and "platforms" you are jumping to.

Which they could easily do; we've seen but one area in which the power is used. Or the "jumping" could be an incremental rising/lowering thing, completely independent of platforms, like flying in Balloon Fight (for lack of a better example).

RagnarokX

Which they could easily do; we've seen but one area in which the power is used. Or the "jumping" could be an incremental thing, completely independent of platforms, like flying in Balloon Fight (for lack of a better example).

They'd have to retool the puzzles of that dungeon. The puzzles that they've shown using the wall mechanic are built around Link not being able to move vertically. If he could fall/jump he wouldn't be able to cross the gaps or ride the moving blocks like he does. They'd need to add painted floors to the walls. The trade off is they could have more complex wall segments, but the paintings might make the solutions too obvious.

Fireblend

Banned
It's very possible that time-limit will be extended, either by increasing the magic/stamina bar, or upgrading that ability to use less.

I don't see how jumping makes any less sense than him walking around as is, as he's also not standing on anything. There's really nothing "logical" about his new ability, so the sky's really the limit on what they can do.

If he really does just move back and forth, I think that would be pretty disappointing.

I'm pretty sure they can expand upon the concept without having to add platforming. Suppose for example there are devices attached to walls that can only be reached/activated in glyph form, like switches. Or they could transport you to another wall.

eternalb

They'd have to retool the puzzles of that dungeon.

Nah, they could gradually introduce new mechanics throughout the game. If that temple's early into the game, as expected, it makes sense that power would be relatively limited.

The trade off is they could have more complex wall segments, but the paintings might make the solutions too obvious.

Perhaps, but you could say this same problem applies to Portal 2, which it does to some degree, but it didn't end up mattering that much.

RagnarokX

Nah, they could gradually introduce new mechanics throughout the game. If that temple's early into the game, as expected, it makes sense that power would be relatively limited.

Perhaps, but you could say this same problem applies to Portal 2, which it does to some degree, but it didn't end up mattering that much.

No, they'd have to change that dungeon because if you went back (for whatever reason) after gaining the ability to fall/jump that dungeon would be broken and would be inconsistent with the rest of the game.

eternalb

No, they'd have to change that dungeon because if you went back (for whatever reason) after gaining the ability to fall/jump that dungeon would be broken and would be inconsistent with the rest of the game.

It wouldn't be "broken" in the sense that any number of items in previous Zeldas would make already visited temples easier. And why would you even revisit it anyway? That's rarely happened.

Plus the demo may not even fully represent how the mechanic actually works anyway.

RagnarokX

It wouldn't be "broken" in the sense that any number of items in previous Zeldas would make already visited temples easier. And why would you even revisit it anyway? That's rarely happened.

Plus the demo may not even fully represent how the mechanic actually works anyway.

I didn't mean broken as in easier, I meant broken as in not making sense/being unplayable. Link can walk across gaps, now after getting a powerup he falls because he now has gravity while in wall mode. They'd need to add painted floors to the walls of that dungeon so that it's consistent with later puzzles and so that gravity doesn't feel like a powerdown. But that would make it super obvious that you need to use it.

eternalb

I didn't mean broken as in easier, I meant broken as in not making sense/being unplayable. Link can walk across gaps, now after getting a powerup he falls because he now has gravity while in wall mode.

That's why I said it might be incremental--"jumping" is a bit of a misnomer in this case. Gravity need not be a factor at all. I believe you could have a mechanic that allows you to move vertically in some way without at all contradicting what we've already seen

DaBoss

I really don't see why there should be platforming in the 2D sections. They would put platforms that go up and down if they want the player to go up higher. It seems like they want to keep it simple which can make it easier to make things a lot more complex.

I've been reading the Super Mario 3D Land Iwata asks, and found this comment dead interesting:

Hayashida: This game is for the Nintendo 3DS system, so I think we were able to achieve a lot—like stereoscopic 3D and StreetPass features—that we hadn't before for the Super Mario series. And this game features a course that is a homage to The Legend of Zelda. We tried a room that looks as if you are peeking into it from above, something never seen before in Super Mario.

Miyamoto: Seen from above, only Mario's cap would be visible! (laughs)

Iwata: Mario isn't designed, function-wise, to be seen from above. Hayashida But when we made this, Tezuka-san's reaction was incredibly positive, and we thought, "It's got to be The Legend of Zelda," and we were like, "Put it in!"

Iwata: Oh, more "Put it in! Put it in!" (laughs) Hayashida And we made candles. If you light all of them with Fire Mario, you hear that sound. Iwata Huh? It makes that sound? Hayashida Yes. (laughs)

Iwata: After all, this is the twenty-fifth anniversary of The Legend of Zelda! (laughs)

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/super-mario-3d-land/1/4

I wonder if this game was born from that level? The level is cool because of how Mario jumps upwards towards the camera. Which is basically what happens in the demo we saw of Link to the Past.

Whilst also only being able to see Link's cap from above!

Would be cool if this was where the idea for this game came from!

Neiteio

I've been reading the Super Mario 3D Land Iwata asks, and found this comment dead interesting:

Hayashida: This game is for the Nintendo 3DS system, so I think we were able to achieve a lot—like stereoscopic 3D and StreetPass features—that we hadn't before for the Super Mario series. And this game features a course that is a homage to The Legend of Zelda. We tried a room that looks as if you are peeking into it from above, something never seen before in Super Mario.

Iwata: Mario isn't designed, function-wise, to be seen from above. Hayashida But when we made this, Tezuka-san's reaction was incredibly positive, and we thought, "It's got to be The Legend of Zelda," and we were like, "Put it in!"

Iwata: Oh, more "Put it in! Put it in!" (laughs) Hayashida And we made candles. If you light all of them with Fire Mario, you hear that sound. Iwata Huh? It makes that sound? Hayashida Yes. (laughs)

Iwata: After all, this is the twenty-fifth anniversary of The Legend of Zelda! (laughs)

I wonder if this game was born from that level? The level is cool because of how Mario jumps upwards towards the camera. Which is basically what happens in the demo we saw of Link to the Past.

Yep, I knew as soon as I saw 3D Land's 5-2 that the first all-original 3DS Zelda would be very similar to it.

Moxx19

Banned

Yeah, when I saw Alttp 2 it instantly reminded me of that level and that quote, interesting. It makes me wonder how EAD Tokyo would go developing a Zelda game.

emb

Yeah, when I saw Alttp 2 it instantly reminded me of that level and that quote, interesting. It makes me wonder how EAD Tokyo would go developing a Zelda game.

Koizumi: Aonuma-san, wanna switch with me on Super Mario Bros. sometime?
Aonuma: Hey, that sounds good… Not!
Koizumi: I'll make the next Zelda game. Then you can enjoy playing it.
Aonuma: No way. (firmly)
Everyone: (laughs)

:(

TreIII

Yep, I knew as soon as I saw 3D Land's 5-2 that the first all-original 3DS Zelda would be very similar to it.

It was such an awesome level, too. I can only hope that Aonuma and his crew were taking notes!

Then again, isn't Miyamoto confirmed to be watching LTTP2 much more closely? Maybe that too might be beneficial.

ngower

Not to say I hold an intense loathing for the level, but I really wasn't into '5-2' enough to warrant a full game built around that design. I've been skeptical of the game since I saw the trailer and now having this level as a rumored inspiration makes me all the more weary of how this will pan out.

Not to say I hold an intense loathing for the level, but I really wasn't into '5-2' enough to warrant a full game built around that design. I've been skeptical of the game since I saw the trailer and now having this level as a rumored inspiration makes me all the more weary of how this will pan out.

Yeah. I mean, I didn't hate that level, but something felt off about it. As will the new Zelda game, something feels off about it too.

Koizumi: Aonuma-san, wanna switch with me on Super Mario Bros. sometime?
Aonuma: Hey, that sounds good… Not!
Koizumi: I'll make the next Zelda game. Then you can enjoy playing it.
Aonuma: No way. (firmly)
Everyone: (laughs)
:(
Wow I've never seen this before. It actually makes me kind of angry. I mentioned in another thread after seeing him credited as being responsible for "Z-targeting" and the MM "3-day system" that I think he should be given reign over Zelda. Dude has the kind of thinking the series needs.

Also pisses me off that Miyamoto seems to dislike all the little fairy tale-like stories Koizumi likes to implement. That's right games can have charming stories and still be gameplay focused!

Moxx19

Banned
Wow I've never seen this before. It actually makes me kind of angry. I mentioned in another thread after seeing him credited as being responsible for "Z-targeting" and the MM "3-day system" that I think he should be given reign over Zelda. Dude has the kind of thinking the series needs.

Also pisses me off that Miyamoto seems to dislike all the little fairy tale-like stories Koizumi likes to implement. That's right games can have charming stories and still be gameplay focused!

Didn't Koizumi have to hide the Rosalina storyline in the library because he wanted to keep it in there in some way?

I think this is the first time I've ever not given a fuck about an upcoming Zelda game...which I suspect may have to do with Nintendo's recently-adopted tendency to announce games without bothering to shed light on anything involving the story and game world. (Almost every game announced in a Nintendo Direct and has been unveiled with some short out-of-context gameplay segment and it's not doing much to compel me at all.)

I'm just hoping it's a victim of Nintendo's failed marketing alone and not another Sticker Star.

DaBoss

I think this is the first time I've ever not given a fuck about an upcoming Zelda game...which I suspect may have to do with Nintendo's recently-adopted tendency to announce games without bothering to shed light on anything involving the story and game world. (Almost every game announced in a Nintendo Direct and has been unveiled with some short out-of-context gameplay segment and it's not doing much to compel me at all.)

I'm just hoping it's a victim of Nintendo's failed marketing alone and not another Sticker Star.

WTF? When have they ever done that in a game announcement?

It's almost always minimal information at best.

I think the game is more unfinished than some people are crediting it and I think Nintendo want it announced now so there is not a NSMB2/U situation. That was a cock up.

Now they have both Zelda's (this and WW) in time for E3 with very different aspects to them that everyone understands. Rather than taking away from WW announcement, they work together in building up an exciting few months for Zelda fans!

WTF? When have they ever done that in a game announcement?

It's almost always minimal information at best.

This is one of Nintendo's few game unveilings from the past three years to truly get me hyped.

And if it was first shown off now in a Nintendo Direct instead of three years ago at E3, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if its "announcement" was just a fifteen second gameplay clip of Pit in air mode repeatedly shooting some drones.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, a game can actually be unveiled awesomely AND accurately.

DaBoss

This is one of Nintendo's few game unveilings from the past three years to truly get me hyped.

And if it was first shown off now in a Nintendo Direct instead of three years ago at E3, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if its "announcement" was just a fifteen second gameplay clip of Pit in air mode repeatedly shooting some drones.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, a game can actually be unveiled awesomely AND accurately.

I totally see what you mean with this, and am inclined to agree, but I don't see how this supports what you said that I bolded/underlined in my previous post.

I think the game is more unfinished than some people are crediting it and I think Nintendo want it announced now so there is not a NSMB2/U situation. That was a cock up.

If it were any other company, I'd be inclined to agree, but Nintendo isn't known for releasing Zelda games before they are ready, and this one is due out before the end of the year. I'd say they are quite a bit into it at this point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If it were any other company, I'd be inclined to agree, but Nintendo isn't known for releasing Zelda games before they are ready, and this one is due out before the end of the year. I'd say they are quite a bit into it at this point.

I suspect this has had work since 3D Land; but they'll be pulling strands together. Not near enough to show off a ready product, just the quite lengthy demo we saw.

It'll be half a year till we see it again, especially on 3DS projects thats a very long time of development.

Top Bottom