• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda 3DS Impressions and Gameplay footage

KarmaCow

I wonder why it feels like a tech demo?

It's probably more on my side, trying to rationalize why they went with a direct sequel to LTTP instead of just making a new standalone game. The place holder idea doesn't hold up, I mean why would they use WW intro art as a place holder when they could just use some rudimentary stick figure. I just don't think mining nostalgia that directly is actually going to be worthwhile. How big is the subset of Zelda fans who like LTTP so much that they will buy this but wouldn't care about a completely new top down Zelda game?

It's probably more on my side, trying to rationalize why they went with a direct sequel to LTTP instead of just making a new standalone game. The place holder idea doesn't hold up, I mean why would they use WW intro art as a place holder when they could just use some rudimentary stick figure. I just don't think mining nostalgia that directly is actually going to be worthwhile. How big is the subset of Zelda fans who like LTTP so much that they will buy this but wouldn't care about a completely new top down Zelda game?

Every Zelda game needs a unique gimmick or two... This one is the LttP nostalgia + 3D. Which would be one more gimmick than any similar standalone game they could have come up with.

RagnarokX

Maybe they're not just mining nostalgia. Maybe they wanted to make a sequel to ALttP; a brand new game set in a familiar world with a familiar artstyle. It's still a new game with a new story and new dungeons. We don't know how different the overworld will be, just that one section of it is relatively unchanged.

Every Zelda game needs a unique gimmick or two... This one is the LttP nostalgia + 3D. Which would be one more gimmick than any similar standalone game they could have come up with.

Gimmicks are features that makes something stand out from its contemporaries. All games thrive on gimmicks, otherwise every game would be the same game. New items? Gimmicks. New mechanics? Gimmicks. New art style? Gimmick.

The gimmicks of this game so far are that it's a sequel to ALttP, vertical gameplay wall Link, top down 3D visuals. We haven't seen new items, but any of those will be gimmicks, as will old items used in new ways.

How big is the subset of Zelda fans who like LTTP so much that they will buy this but wouldn't care about a completely new top down Zelda game?

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that the fans excited for this game wouldn't be excited about, in your words, a completely new top down Zelda? Even though this to me looks like a completely new top down Zelda.

I'm possibly the only person in the world who liked Fi. I thought she was cute. ;~;

Navi I can't stand, but she's also easy enough to ignore most of the time. So no big deal.
But then you get to the badly animated "singing" portion and Fi becomes some ungodly creature gyrating wildly to a melody.

zroid

Banned
Has anyone else found the art style to have really grown on them in the last couple days? I never actively disliked it, but I started off mostly ambivalent. Rewatching the trailer and some of the footage a few times now, I'm starting to genuinely appreciate it. Link just looks so darn cute! I love it when you get a short peek at his face from under the flap of hair, lol. And all the enemies and vegetation appear so vibrant. It's lovely.

Has anyone else found the art style to have really grown on them in the last couple days? I never actively disliked it, but I started off mostly ambivalent. Rewatching the trailer and some of the footage now, I'm starting to genuinely like it. Link just looks so darn cute! I love it when you get a short peek at his face from under the flap of hair, lol.
Unoffensive, and clean. Nothing daring from what we've seen so far.

The New LoZ moniker fits. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it if the core design of the game is competent.

TreIII

There are tons of games with "God" or "Gods" in their names, last year we had the Civ 5 expansion "Gods and Kings" to name one.

Not to mention that this isn't the early 90s anymore. By Ocarina of Time, even the Three Goddesses were referred to as such in-game. And this is from the same company who couldn't even let Agahnim be called a "Priest" in LTTP.

But in any case, I don't think they'll shy away from "LTTP2", "Link to the Past: The Second Chapter" or something to that effect. If they want to play up the connection to the earlier game on both sides of the globe, they might as well use each region's original titles.

Has anyone else found the art style to have really grown on them in the last couple days? I never actively disliked it, but I started off mostly ambivalent. Rewatching the trailer and some of the footage a few times now, I'm starting to genuinely appreciate it. Link just looks so darn cute! I love it when you get a short peek at his face from under the flap of hair, lol. And all the enemies and vegetation appear so vibrant. It's lovely.

I don't really feel any different. It looks ok but to me it's kinda clean and stale like NSMB. The original game looks much better to my eyes despite running on the snes.

RagnarokX

Unoffensive, and clean. Nothing daring from what we've seen so far.

The New LoZ moniker fits. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it if the core design of the game is competent.

I don't think that moniker fits because they are specifically making the game look like the game it's a sequel to. Was ALttP New LoZ when it came out? It's the same artstyle.

Hopefully Nintendo doesn't use the fact that this is a sequel set in the same world as LTTP as an excuse to just reuse or have minor remixes of all of the old songs in the original game. I'd hate to see this game get the NSMB music treatment of rehashing the same tune until it is beaten to death within the first few hours of gameplay.

I don't think that moniker fits because they are specifically making the game look like the game it's a sequel to. Was ALttP New LoZ when it came out? It's the same artstyle.
Well... more emulating the same art style than sticking to it.

I really haven't watched any demo yet. Trying to go into it relatively clean. So I'm just going by the reveal trailer. Got me exited but it does lack some of the environmental detail, the "lived-in" appearance of Lttp.

As long as it plays like Lttp with modern refinements I'll be a happy camper though.

RagnarokX

Well... more emulating the same art style than sticking to it.

I really haven't watched any demo yet. Trying to go into it relatively clean. So I'm just going by the reveal trailer. Got me exited but it does lack some of the environmental detail, the "lived-in" appearance of Lttp.

As long as it plays like Lttp with modern refinements I'll be a happy camper though.

But it doesn't lack any of the environmental detail of ALttP (apart from the cliffs). The dungeon from the trailer and demo is based on the Tower of Hera, which is a lot less detailed in ALttP. We haven't seen what the bridges and Misery Mire-style dungeons look like in this game, but judging by what they've shown they should be as or more detailed than ALttP.

zroid

Banned
I don't really feel any different. It looks ok but to me it's kinda clean and stale like NSMB. The original game looks much better to my eyes despite running on the snes.

Well, the original was a beautiful game, for sure. I'm glad they aren't sticking to the exact same 2D sprite aesthetic. Zelda has always been known for changing its visuals from game-to-game, and making a sequel in the same visual style two decades later would probably rouse more ire than something different which may not be immediately appealing to the same eye.

The fact that LttP was on the SNES doesn't mean we should necessarily expect modern games to look better. That's the beauty of the best art (in any medium) -- it's timeless. What's important is they seem to be leveraging the abilities of the 3DS in useful ways, such as crafting a fully three dimensional world, which as we've already seen is having a significant impact on gameplay.

Well, the original was a beautiful game, for sure. I'm glad they aren't sticking to the exact same 2D sprite aesthetic. Zelda has always been known for changing its visuals from game-to-game, and making a sequel in the same visual style two decades later would probably rouse more ire than something different which may not be immediately appealing to the same eye.

Does it always change it's visual style? I'm not sure that is even true (what about MM and OOT for example). It would be hard to complain about them 'sticking' to the exact same 2D sprite aesthetic when we haven't had a game in that style for so damn long. To me going for a 2D sprite based game would have been going for something different.

What's important is they seem to be leveraging the abilities of the 3DS in useful ways, such as crafting a fully three dimensional world, which as we've already seen is having a significant impact on gameplay.

We'll see, obviously gameplay is what will ultimately decide the quality of the game but i can't really discuss that until there is something to discuss. As someone who doesn't even use the 3D on the 3DS i'm not sure how appealing it is to me.

KarmaCow

Maybe they're not just mining nostalgia. Maybe they wanted to make a sequel to ALttP; a brand new game set in a familiar world with a familiar artstyle. It's still a new game with a new story and new dungeons. We don't know how different the overworld will be, just that one section of it is relatively unchanged.

Perhaps I'm too cynical but at the very least the decision feels it was mostly for fan service rather than any interest in fleshing out the LTTP world. Nintendo doesn't seem like the kind of company that really cares about specific worlds and detailed lore since they focus on the mechanics of the games first. Then again apparently the Zelda timeline stuff wasn't fans overthinking the games so maybe they do care about that, in Zelda games at least. And yea, we haven't seen exactly what percentage is ripped directly from LTTP and locking themselves to that world wont restrict them to make fundamental changes. I'll probably get over it as more footage comes out, but just feels safe and lazy despite how increasingly irrational that feeling might be.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that the fans excited for this game wouldn't be excited about, in your words, a completely new top down Zelda? Even though this to me looks like a completely new top down Zelda.

I guess I worded it poorly. I was working from the assumption that choice to make it LTTP2 was get lapsed fans who would get back in because this LTTP2 and not a unique title. I wasn't saying the people who like this and those who would like a new title are mutually exclusive groups, quite the opposite really.

Moxx19

Banned
The more I watch that Nintendomination footage the more I love the idea of moving through the walls.

And that music better be in the final game somewhere. Sounds amazing.

Kard8p3

The more I watch that Nintendomination footage the more I love the idea of moving through the walls.

And that music better be in the final game somewhere. Sounds amazing.

No reason why that theme wouldn't be in the final game. It's a great remix of the light world dungeon theme.

HoJu

i wonder with nintendo now developing their handheld games thinking that people will only play in short bursts, if we'll see more dungeons, but them being much smaller.

with nintendo now developing their handheld games thinking that people will only play in short bursts, do you think we'll see shorter, but a lot more dungeons?
Well that's kind of how it was for ALTTP. I haven't played the title in a long time but if I recall correctly skilled players could complete a dungeon in 15-20 minutes and there were around 9 dungeons which is on the upper end for Zelda titles.

Kard8p3

Well that's kind of how it was for ALTTP. I haven't played the title in a long time but if I recall correctly skilled players could complete a dungeon in 15-20 minutes and there were around 9 dungeons which is on the upper end for Zelda titles.

Actually alttp had 11 dungeons (or 12 if you count hyrule castle.) It definitely had the most dungeons of the series but some were shorter than others.

Vagabundo

I have to say, I was underwhelmed by the trailer, although positive for the project, but watching the demos gave me a trill of excitement. Maybe it is nostalgia, but I don't care, it looks like it plays like a dream.

Renekun

Neo Member
I like the idea of Wall Link for puzzles. They can basically use it to put a twist on the fixed camera angle; Like it allows you to see the environment from a different angle and allows you to go around things you couldn't from ALttP.

But I feel like they could do more with it. I kinda don't like how it just allows you to go straight left or right and nothing else.

LczUXjA.png

I feel like there should be "floors" on the walls. Not necessarily super obvious ledges like in the image above, maybe they could be painted on the walls. Link would still have his sword and fight pictures of monsters on the walls and get the ability to jump. They could do some AoL-style sidescrolling sections this way.

People keep thinking gimmicks are bad things when they're just unique features that set something apart from its contemporaries. The Dark World is a gimmick, the spin attack is a gimmick, height-based level design (from ALttP) is a gimmick, every new item is a gimmick.
That's a fantastic idea, but what about the stamina/magic bar that deflates while you are fighting? Maybe the longer you play, the longer this ability can last?

Okay, so watching the footage, there is one tiny thing that is bugging me: When you merge into the wall, the camera quickly zooms and adjusts itself to show Link merging. When you are un-merging, however, the camera simply "pops" back into the top-down perspective.

It's not a game-breaking deal, but I find it really disorienting to watch. I really hope they change this in the final product.

TreIII

That's a fantastic idea, but what about the stamina/magic bar that deflates while you are fighting? Maybe the longer you play, the longer this ability can last?

I certainly hope so. If there weren't any enhancements that served to lengthen your gauge as time goes on (a certain irate imp, for example?), I'd be surprised.

But in any case, the possibility of having Awakening-style platforming sections is something that I REALLY hope happens. Those were some of my favorite moments in Awakening and the Oracle games!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The offscreen gameplay footage actually looks so much better than the direct feed shit Nintendo showed us. Feeling much better about this game after watching those gameplay videos.

DaBoss

Okay, so watching the footage, there is one tiny thing that is bugging me: When you merge into the wall, the camera quickly zooms and adjusts itself to show Link merging. When you are un-merging, however, the camera simply "pops" back into the top-down perspective.

It's not a game-breaking deal, but I find it really disorienting to watch. I really hope they change this in the final product.

Haha, I said the same thing earlier. One thing I thought, and someone else also brought up, is the fact that it could be for gameplay purposes and they want you to be ready for what can happen when you change back immediately.

Though I think they can just freeze everything that is happening when Link changes back.

I guess I worded it poorly. I was working from the assumption that choice to make it LTTP2 was get lapsed fans who would get back in because this LTTP2 and not a unique title.

So you really think that they needed to do this to make people interested in their new Zelda game? I dunno, it just seems like it's something they wanted to do and are excited about bringing it to us. They could have did something not related to ALTTP and people would still be interested. Then again the only relation this game seems to have with the original is that it's set in the same world and carries over some of the aesthetics. I don't think it's the same thing, therefore I don't buy the argument that they're just using the ALTTP allure to make people interested. They could have did this or something else and Zelda fans (well, the sane ones... there are sane ones here and there) would have been on board either way.

Zelda isn't a franchise where they have to mine nostalgia from a 20 year old installment. There are a lot of Zelda games that people hold up there: this, Link's Awakening, Ocarina, Majora, etc. that they could have "mined nostalgia" from. I just think it's a terribly weak argument, at least until we've seen more than a bit of footage from the overworld and the dungeon, which itself was completely different, again, save for some of the aesthetics like the hammer and the switches and stuff like that (which are also found in other Zelda games).

Neiteio

This game looks so PERFECT. It's almost painful how perfect it looks, really. I say this as something of a lapsed Zelda fan who was put off by the DS offerings and the slow start of Skyward Sword.

I love the polygonal graphics and autostereoscopic 3D enhancements. I love the shaders on the tile floors and brick walls. I love the buoyant animations of the enemies, the tactile toy-like tangibility and intricately handcrafted diorama look in 3D. I love the tight dungeon design spanning multiple floors and multiple points of elevation within each floor, and the back and forth between interior and exterior. I love the quickened cadence between exploration, traversal, puzzle-solving and combat, perfect for pick-up-and-play portability. I love the unlimited arrows of a stamina-regulated bow, and the hammer's use knocking down switches that pop Link up. I love the ability to strafe with the arrows, to have a dedicated button for the shield in a top-down 2D Zelda. I love the Merge mechanic, how the different camera angle gives a fresh perspective on the same room, how you can wrap around the corners of moving obstacles and platforms and bypass enemies and chasms and even slip past the iron bars of a prison window. I love the triumphant horns-laden music, the extended arrangements of classic Zelda tunes that actually improve on perfection. This games takes everything I loved about ALttP while filtering out the clunkiness inherent in its design and smoothing it all out with silky-smooth 60fps 2D and 3D play.

This game is a marvel to behold. I'm hopeful that when IGN posts their impressions of Mikami's The Evil Within tomorrow, it is just as promising, because then I won't hesitate in saying these two games are my most anticipated of the year.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't like the "magic is every resource" thing, but it could result in either good dungeon design or lazy dungeon design. Depending on if they make you use it in clever ways or not.

Neiteio

We don't know anything about arrows being unlimited. It could just be a demo thing only.
That's true, but it would be nice to see them go that route. I trust it will be balanced in any case.

I don't like the "magic is every resource" thing, but it could result in either good dungeon design or lazy dungeon design. Depending on if they make you use it in clever ways or not.
I see the green bar as a "Power" meter -- feels fitting, then, both as a source of stamina and magic. :)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I see the green bar as a "Power" meter -- feels fitting, then, both as a source of stamina and magic. :)

It essentially serves the exact same purpose, only without the mechanic (MEH-canic) of having to grab magic jars when you're out.

Only place I liked it was boss battles. Bosses could be easier or harder depending on if you had more than just your sword.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So you really think that they needed to do this to make people interested in their new Zelda game? I dunno, it just seems like it's something they wanted to do and are excited about bringing it to us. They could have did something not related to ALTTP and people would still be interested. Then again the only relation this game seems to have with the original is that it's set in the same world and carries over some of the aesthetics. I don't think it's the same thing, therefore I don't buy the argument that they're just using the ALTTP allure to make people interested. They could have did this or something else and Zelda fans (well, the sane ones... there are sane ones here and there) would have been on board either way.

Zelda isn't a franchise where they have to mine nostalgia from a 20 year old installment. There are a lot of Zelda games that people hold up there: this, Link's Awakening, Ocarina, Majora, etc. that they could have "mined nostalgia" from. I just think it's a terribly weak argument, at least until we've seen more than a bit of footage from the overworld and the dungeon, which itself was completely different, again, save for some of the aesthetics like the hammer and the switches and stuff like that (which are also found in other Zelda games).
I don't think this is the actual reasoning, but naming it A Link To The Past 2 makes it so you don't have to deal with the inevitable questions asking why this isn't a fully 3D Ocarina of Time style Zelda game. Not that this is just a sequel in name only, seeing how similar the overworld and dungeon snippets they showed are to their ALTTP1 counterparts makes that apparent.

My impression of the visual style is that it's fairly typical of Nintendo's output on the 3DS thus far: clean and vibrant to work well on the stereoscopic display. I'm really wondering if people would be less critical if the game simply used a darker color palette, or if it was not billed as a LttP sequel.

Top Bottom