• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda 3DS Impressions and Gameplay footage

Yes, this is what I was tryinf to say! Paper Zelda is thr dumbest thing I have ever heard. If paper Zelda appears in the final game, I will never, EVER buy a Nintendo product ever again. Looks like I will becoming an XBOX 4 fan!

Totally reasonable reaction. They put something you don't like in a game, you then don't play any game from them ever again even if it's stuff you like. And then, after a 5-7 year break, you come back into the gaming fold as an Xbox 4 fan sometime around 2020.

I don't see any issues here. I think this dude has the perfect plan laid out.

RMI

Banned
Yes, this is what I was tryinf to say! Paper Zelda is thr dumbest thing I have ever heard. If paper Zelda appears in the final game, I will never, EVER buy a Nintendo product ever again. Looks like I will becoming an XBOX 4 fan!

don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Anyway. Link to the Past 2 looks awesome. I know people like to gripe about Nintendo milking their franchises, but It's been too damn long since the original, and honestly I wouldn't care if they just released the same damn game with updated visuals. This kind of stuff has happened how many times this generation for other franchises nowhere near as storied and loved as Zelda?

BowieZ

Banned
So I have a feeling Ninty'll spring for 3DClassics Series II (SNES) in Q3-4* and LTTP will be one of them, leading up to the sequel's release.

Then MM3D in a purple XL bundle with a mask decal in late '14.

*Yoshi's Island could get the same treatment too.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm possibly the only person in the world who liked Fi. I thought she was cute. ;~;

Navi I can't stand, but she's also easy enough to ignore most of the time. So no big deal.

I liked Fi as well. Doesn't change that I hated her interrupting my game with stuff I already knew or would've figured out a second later, though.

RagnarokX

2D Zeldas have been pretty light on this sort of thing, save for the Owl in Link's Awakening and perhaps Ezlo in Minish Cap. Neither were as intrusive/detrimental as Navi, Midna or Fi.

The last 3 2D Zeldas have had companions: Minish Cap had Ezlo, Phantom Hourglass had Ciela, and Spirit Tracks had Princess Zelda (best companion ever). But being that this is a sequel to ALttP, I doubt they will have a companion.

So I have a feeling Ninty'll spring for 3DClassics Series II (SNES) in Q3-4* and LTTP will be one of them, leading up to the sequel's release.

Then MM3D in a purple XL bundle with a mask decal in late '14.

*Yoshi's Island could get the same treatment too.

3D Classics ALttP will not happen unless they feel like modeling the whole game in 3D polygons. It's too much work to be that kind of title.

CorvoSol

I'm possibly the only person in the world who liked Fi. I thought she was cute. ;~;

Navi I can't stand, but she's also easy enough to ignore most of the time. So no big deal.

I didn't like Fi, but I'm not one of the poor fools who think she's somehow worse than the God Queen of Awful Navi.

D-e-f-

Banned
The last 3 2D Zeldas have had companions: Minish Cap had Ezlo, Phantom Hourglass had Ciela, and Spirit Tracks had Princess Zelda (best companion ever). But being that this is a sequel to ALttP, I doubt they will have a companion.

We shouldn't forget how they addressed the future of Zelda games in the January Direct. Granted, Aonuma was talking specifically about the next console entry, but who says they aren't applying the same lessons to the 3DS game (which he couldn't reference since it hadn't been announced).

André from GameXplain said it well in his analysis. The absence of new-item-in-the-dungeon (and no companion) could indicate that they a) adhere so close to ALttP that companions are a strict taboo and b) that this means the game is less linear.

RagnarokX

We shouldn't forget how they addressed the future of Zelda games in the January Direct. Granted, Aonuma was talking specifically about the next console entry, but who says they aren't applying the same lessons to the 3DS game (which he couldn't reference since it hadn't been announced).

André from GameXplain said it well in his analysis. The absence of new-item-in-the-dungeon (and no companion) could indicate that they a) adhere so close to ALttP that companions are a strict taboo and b) that this means the game is less linear.

How does the absence of the dungeon item in the demo indicate that they are adhering close to ALttP? Every dungeon in ALttP had a dungeon item. The demo showed some marked differences from ALttP in that the big treasure chest contained the boss key and the boss key was only for opening the boss door. In AlttP the big key is found in a regular treasure chest, and it opens the big treasure chest (which contains the dungeon item) and big key doors (which there can be more than one of in a dungeon).

I also wouldn't read too much into the demo's items, since Skyward Sword's Skyview Temple demo gave you the beetle, bow, and bombs at the start of the demo. All we can say for certain is that you definitely need the hammer before you enter that section of the dungeon.

I didn't like Fi, but I'm not one of the poor fools who think she's somehow worse than the God Queen of Awful Navi.

Navi never stopped me to point out the batteries in my Wiimote were low. She's factually, objectively less annoying. Or a superfluous "your hearts are low" when there's been a system in place within Zelda games since LttP informing me my batteries are low anyway, if it's beeping, I already know Fi.

D-e-f-

Banned
How does the absence of the dungeon item in the demo indicate that they are adhering close to ALttP? Every dungeon in ALttP had a dungeon item. The demo showed some marked differences from ALttP in that the big treasure chest contained the boss key and the boss key was only for opening the boss door. In AlttP the big key is found in a regular treasure chest, and it opens the big treasure chest (which contains the dungeon item) and big key doors (which there can be more than one of in a dungeon).

I also wouldn't read too much into the demo's items, since Skyward Sword's Skyview Temple demo gave you the beetle, bow, and bombs at the start of the demo. All we can say for certain is that you definitely need the hammer before you enter that section of the dungeon.

I didn't say the one thing relates directly to the other. I should probably have switched a) and b) around, though. Just watch the gamexplain analysis on youtube. He explains it well.

And obviously it's just a theory.

Navi never stopped me to point out the batteries in my Wiimote were low. She's factually, objectively less annoying. Or a superfluous "your hearts are low" when there's been a system in place within Zelda games since LttP informing me my batteries are low anyway, if it's beeping, I already know Fi.

Plus you can press A repeatedly to get through Navi's text boxes fast.... Fi takes things in her own pace.

I think analyzing a simplistic demo dungeon for info on the overall game is pretty weak grounding anyway. Whose to say that dungeon will even be in the final game?

Plus you can press A repeatedly to get through Navi's text boxes fast.... Fi takes things in her own pace.

All in god-awful computer speak that makes fuck-all sense within the context of the game

DaBoss

I didn't say the one thing relates directly to the other. I should probably have switched a) and b) around, though. Just watch the gamexplain analysis on youtube. He explains it well.

And obviously it's just a theory.

He did, and he came up with some great responses: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54654675&postcount=978

Don't you have to actually press the up C-button to make Navi talk? What about Fi? I don't remember either one of them.

Chatin

Having had a few days for this to soak in, I'm definitely not satisfied with the look of the game. If you're going to make a direct sequel to Link to the Past, don't drag Minish Cap/Zelda DS visuals into it.

Also neither fond of Paper Link at this point, nor the demo dungeon. Really hope nothing of that dungeon shows up in the final game, because it felt shades of the dull dungeons in Four Swords on the GBA.

CorvoSol

You didn't have a wii remote, that isn't objective at all. She does pop up on your screen and shriek at you constantly until you pay her attention, though. There weren't batteries in LttP or Ocarina, so I don't know where you're getting that from, and Navi DOES stop you for shit like telling you a room is all twisty.

I'm not saying Fi isn't bad. I'm saying she's not as bad as Navi, which is true, because Navi is the worst fucking thing ever. You can leave Hyrule town headed for Lake Hylia and she will pop up half way, you listen to her, and she's shrieking again by the time you're across the field. She's terrible.

Don't you have to actually press the up C-button to make Navi talk?

There are a few times she butts in whether you want her to or not. I think people only really disliked her for her "HEY LISTEN!" schtick. If you never pressed C-up Navi wouldn't hardly ever ruin the flow of the game, but she would annoy the hell out of you.

Fi just brings the entire game to a halt at every corner.

3D Classics ALttP will not happen unless they feel like modeling the whole game in 3D polygons. It's too much work to be that kind of title.

PH and ST are 3D?

RagnarokX

PH and ST are 3D?

No... they are 2D...

There are a few times she butts in whether you want her to or not. I think people only really disliked her for her "HEY LISTEN!" schtick. If you never pressed C-up Navi wouldn't hardly ever ruin the flow of the game, but she would annoy the hell out of you.

I think Fi is worse, but Navi's not far behind.

::On my way to the forest temple::

"HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY!"

"WHAT?!"

"I wonder what Saria's up to."

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very excited for this game! I've been hoping for a new top down Zelda for years! Very, very excited!

zroid

Banned

This probably sounds weird, but I like that about Fi. The way she's always concerned about you while still seemingly aloof and distant. Earnestly telling you all these obvious things. It was endearing. ^_^

Her character arc was also rather sweet.

Midna is still the best, though.

bear in mind that I'm also not the sort of person who would be opposed to "moe" if that explains anything

Anth0ny

Don't you have to actually press the up C-button to make Navi talk?

She comes out like 5 times in the entire game on her own, and she usually kept those messages short ("Look at this wall! Maybe you can climb it!").

Somehow Navi has this god awful reputation as the most annoying sidekick character in the history of games. Maybe it's because way more people playing OOT than Skyward Sword?

Looking back from this current gen, the gen of handholding and tutorials galore, Navi is like a fucking saint. Fi is 100x worse than Navi in every way imaginable.

DaBoss

I think Fi is worse, but Navi's not far behind.

::On my way to the forest temple::

"HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY!"

"WHAT?!"

"I wonder what Saria's up to."

I don't remember Navi repeated saying "Hey". Wasn't there a gap between each time Navi says "Hey! Listen!"?

She comes out like 5 times in the entire game on her own, and she usually kept those messages short ("Look at this wall! Maybe you can climb it!").

Somehow Navi has this god awful reputation as the most annoying sidekick character in the history of games. Maybe it's because way more people playing OOT than Skyward Sword?

Looking back from this current gen, the gen of handholding and tutorials galore, Navi is like a fucking saint. Fi is 100x worse than Navi in every way imaginable.

OK, I pretty much ignored Navi other than when I'm at a boss just to know more about them. I don't remember Navi being annoying.

I also ignored Fi, and barely remember her. So was she (it?) always coming up even when you don't press the button to bring her up?

RagnarokX

I don't remember Navi repeated saying "Hey". Wasn't there a gap between each time Navi says "Hey! Listen!"?

OK, I pretty much ignored Navi other than when I'm at a boss just to know more about them. I don't remember Navi being annoying.

I also ignored Fi, and barely remember her. So was she (it?) always coming up even when you don't press the button to bring her up?

I didn't know how to express the annoying jingle that she does when she wants to talk to you.

Fi is more annoying because she comes out to tell you stuff like "That looks like a boss door." and chiming to tell you your hearts/battery are low. Everything else she does are things other companions have done, including Midna. Midna just had much more character.

eternalb

I think analyzing a simplistic demo dungeon for info on the overall game is pretty weak grounding anyway. Whose to say that dungeon will even be in the final game?

Because Nintendo has never created a demo out of whole-cloth that I can recall (though some things do change). And with the game releasing in only 6-months, it's very likely to be, at the least, mostly reflective of the game.

Didn't the tree look different when you came back to it though? It looks the same as any other tree in Zelda 3DS. And the video itself said the game takes place after LTTP, but offered some ideas that build upon it. And I mentioned it in an earlier post, but it's likely the shield only looked that way in LTTP due to how small the sprite was, as the artwork always showed it being far more detailed.

However it turns out, I'm curious to see where the game goes exactly. There's so much potential

I'm hoping that this is going to be a "full" experience, not watered down just because it's handheld. I recognize that the dungeons are not going to be the length of a console game, but I don't want them to skimp out on numbers. 7-8 dungeons MINIMUM, please, if they're the length of the Link to the Past dungeons or as seen in the video. I don't want, like, 4-6 short dungeons or anything, just because it's a portable game.

That was only the case with the last few games from Minish Cap onward. LA and the Oracles had the minimum requisite.

The only thing that botters me so far is that weird jumping animation. Looks awkward.

For me its the walking animation of mural!Link.

I'm all for handheld Zeldas staying close to the formula of the great 2D games, but I don't want them to become the New version of the Zelda franchise.

As much as I like the NSMB games, a Zelda without story or connections to other games in the timeline would be pretty dull.

Really.

All of this storyline wankery is pointless. Would you dislike a game for lacking in the story department even if it played better?

Bug catching net isn't dead. Getting fairies was extremely useful for my young self.

They just switched it over to bottle catching.

Hm, the phasing into the wall thing could be cool, it'd be an excuse for little 2D Zelda II/Link's Awakening type sections. Imagine a boss who had the same ability!

That would be pretty sweet.

True, but will they ever be a handheld?

If that's the case, why not a 2d console Zelda?

Thanks for the link. And I definitely would agree.

After all, if this game is indeed going to further the story of the "Failure" timeline in some way, it'd be nice to see what's happened since LTTP/Awakening/The Oracle games.

I'm hoping that this game will be the start of a nice trend of games that will utilize this particular TL. After all, I've only been waiting for a true sequel to Zelda 2 since 1987!

Gameplay, storyline, or both?

We had Wind Waker, we had Twilight Princess, we had Skyward Sword.
We had Minish Cap, we had Phantom Hourglass, we had Spirit Tracks.

If I'm not missing anything we had as many 3D style games in the last decade as we had 2D style ones. :p

People don't count PH and ST for obvious reasons. It's about traditionally controlled action. More gameplay possibilities.

I'm just hoping you get the ability to move vertically at some point with it, like jumping or something. Maybe even combat with other wall hieroglyphs.

Roc's Feather/Cape. Not to mention that of the obstacle-overcoming item mechanics (i. e. hammer, swimming, etc.) jumping is the quickest and most liberating when the situation allows for it.

Replay The Minish Cap. Ezlo is far more intrusive than Navi.

A million times. I remember that bird interrupting me to suggest something I was already in the middle of doing!

As already mentioned, we don't mention PH and ST when we talk of 2D zelda games because they don't play the same as 2D zelda games.

Those games do seem to be quite fun for some people, but me and a lot of others couldn't even stand the game long enough to give it a chance. This puts the next closest title to being Minish Cap. Minish Cap, however, lacks some of the simplicity that made LttP, LA, and the Oracle series so great.

Ugh, cannot wait. Not the biggest fan of the art style, but it doesn't bother me to the point where I'd swear the game off entirely. Besides, it looks better in motion on the 3DS than pictures or YouTube vids.

I wish I could play LttP on my 3DS. Minish Cap is a good Zelda game, but LttP is god-tier. :(

wrowa

People don't count PH and ST for obvious reasons. It's about traditionally controlled action. More gameplay possibilities.

The controls might be different, but the gameplay is as 2D as it gets. I'm not sure how it's possible to even argue about that. Whether or not you think it sucks doesn't really matter, since ALttP2 might suck just as much as its two predecessors. :p

If you associate a certain gameplay style to it, call it "ALttP style" or whatever. Otherwise Zelda 1 and 2 wouldn't be 2D Zeldas either, since both games are about as similar to Zelda 3 as the DS games, lol.

The controls might be different, but the gameplay is as 2D as it gets. I'm not sure how it's possible to even argue about that. Whether or not you think it sucks doesn't really matter, since ALttP2 might suck just as much as its two predecessors. :p

If you associate a certain gameplay style to it, call it "ALttP style" or whatever. Otherwise Zelda 1 and 2 wouldn't be 2D Zeldas either, since both games are about as similar to Zelda 3 as the DS games, lol.

The control methods make all the difference in the world, from how you execute moves to what items are possible, period.

I wish I could play LttP on my 3DS. Minish Cap is a good Zelda game, but LttP is god-tier. :(

I was sure it was announced on the Nintendo Direct presentation that the original was going to released on the eshop prior to the sequel. But I just re-watched the presentation [US & Europe] and there is nothing about it, so not sure where I heard this.

Anyone have any ideas? Would love to play this [only have a 3DS] before the new one is released.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Yeah, Fi was used in a bad way. The hint system should be optional. The handholding is the one thing I can't understand about Nintendo. They have competent game designers. Shouldn't be that hard to convince whoever is calling the shots to add more options.

If they add a hint system they should tuck it away in the book of Mudora. Maybe have it glow in your inventory when there's a hint available.

Edit: to the above post. I see no reason for Nintendo to not hype up the release by announcing SNES VC on the 3DS with Alttp as the launch title. But Nintendo isn't exactly making sense there. The 3DS is more than capable of running a SNES emulator.

is the Minish Cap available on the 3DS via the eshop?

barkley-head-shake-o.gif

Not for non-ambassador scum

Top Bottom