• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda 3DS Impressions and Gameplay footage

I love the mechanic of turning yourslef into a painting.

As usual really clever puzzle design.

Is it confirmed that this mechanic will be the main gimmick of the game?

It seems like it's fundamentally integrated into the game.

1. There are options for programmable controls on the lower sreen:
I imagine the default is set to:
X = Bow and Arrow
Y = Hammer
B = Sword

But notice how whenever Link approaches the wall, the "Action icon" on the upper screen (which is not changeable, similar to when you approach chests) automatically prompts a "Turn into Paper Zelda" icon.

Bsigg12

Looks good. I had doubts after seeing the trailer and Direct reveal but it looks solid. Can't wait to hear more at E3.

The game looks goddamn great in this footage, no reservations.

I think it's easy to read too much into the nature of a development team based on individual games. For example, if one game has an intrusive tutorial people will assume "these guys are obsessed with tutorials". But often such decisions are made on a game-by-game basis.

It's a reason why game players often go off about how X developer has "turned to shit" if the developer makes even a single game someone doesn't like. Might be true in some cases but the truth is probably more complex.
While true. Given the trend Nintendo set with WW, TP, SS, PH and ST it does set a precedent that I figured was a philosophy Miyamoto/Aonuma adopted to help new players.

Circle pad = Move Link in 360 degrees

B button = Swing sword

Hold B button = Charge up sword, starts to glow blue
Release B button = Spin attack

Y button = Swing hammer

X button = Shoot bow and arrow.

Press A button when approaching a wall = Become Paper Link or become normal

Press A button = Advance text or open a chest

Love these lack of stylus controls.
Its actually 8 direction according to previewers.

What I was talking about:
alttp2spinailyw.gif
Yeah I thought that was strange.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The animation in this game is so silky smooth. My hype levels are reaching critical mass.

The janky framerate of the Nintendo Direct video made me worry that the game was using some sort of pre-rendered sprites for all characters with limited animation frames. These videos put my concerns about the way it looks and moves to rest.

It sure as hell looks as if it moves and plays exactly like ALTTP and ALTTP is one of my top five games of all time.

Ragus

Banned
Overwold in this entry should be amazing. This dungeon looks very promising. Maybe we will finally get a Zelda, which everyone is going to like?

Who am I kidding. Still, I have very high hopes for this game.

Besides obviously reminding me of ALttP, it also reminds me of Four Swords Adventures. Which is awesome. Kinda makes me wonder if there will be any multiplayer aspect to this game.

Gameplay looks fun, if not familiar.. Art looks meh. I wish they could find a way to make the game ply top down, but include better art and maybe a story.

Anyways, I am looking forward to this.

Raynes

Why are we getting top down when the 3DS can pull more advanced graphics than OOT? The LTTP style can still be emulated in 3rd person. I see no other reason why they did this other than laziness. This shit could be done on a regular DS. I'm not liking the gimicky goofy wall mechanic, doesn't fit in well with the Zelda lore at all. Guess Nintendo has lost so much originality they need hop onto the LTTP franchise and ride of that, whilst stealing a goofy Mario mechanic.

I'd like it more cel shaded I guess, but it looks fine to me.

Not happy about fighting moldwurm again, hopefully this is demo only or a one off.

Ragus

Banned
Why are we getting top down when the 3DS can pull more advanced graphics than OOT? The LTTP style can still be emulated in 3rd person. I see no other reason why they did this other than laziness. This shit could be done on a regular DS. I'm not liking the gimicky goofy wall mechanic, doesn't fit in well with the Zelda lore at all.

I would love to have your DS.

Branduil

Why are we getting top down when the 3DS can pull more advanced graphics than OOT? The LTTP style can still be emulated in 3rd person. I see no other reason why they did this other than laziness. This shit could be done on a regular DS. I'm not liking the gimicky goofy wall mechanic, doesn't fit in well with the Zelda lore at all.

Because top-down Zelda is still a valid game design?

DaBoss

It didn't use magic in the SNES title either

Yup, but we still don't know whether it is a stamina bar or a magic bar. I'm not more inclined to believe it is a stamina/energy bar and Link is given the ability to morph into a drawing on the wall which uses up his energy.

DaBoss - Did you notice any dashing in the demo footages so far? Does it take up Stamina?

I don't remember seeing any dashing in any of the footage.

Pretty sure its a magic bar. When Link goes into the wall it starts to deplete.

But it also gets used up when charging an arrow and when using the hammer.

It seems like they don't want people to be able to spam the hammer and arrows, pretty smart of them to do.

Basing charging arrow thing from this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54441423&postcount=3330

Will make two gifs showing the arrow charges after I come back from errands.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Why are we getting top down when the 3DS can pull more advanced graphics than OOT? The LTTP style can still be emulated in 3rd person. I see no other reason why they did this other than laziness.

It enables a different approach to level design. Which frankly looks far more appealing than wandering through a ton of empty space.

Kai Dracon

People have been asking for top-down Zelda years though many didn't like the style of the DS games.

I'd say the fact that people want to buy a game like this factors into such a game being made.

GCX

Taking the series back to LTTP era seems like a great idea since it seemingly releases Zelda team from the Ocarina of Time complex they've had for the past 15 years.

Why are we getting top down when the 3DS can pull more advanced graphics than OOT? The LTTP style can still be emulated in 3rd person. I see no other reason why they did this other than laziness. This shit could be done on a regular DS. I'm not liking the gimicky goofy wall mechanic, doesn't fit in well with the Zelda lore at all. Guess Nintendo has lost so much originality they need hop onto the LTTP franchise and ride of that, whilst stealing a goofy Mario mechanic.

Because many of us DIDN'T want a 3D Zelda. Many of us have been asking for a return to the top down Zelda for years and years and years. You got your OOT remake and will possibly get a 3D Zelda before the 3DS is put to rest. This is THE game I have been wanting for more than 20 years.

RagnarokX

Because top down Zelda is really good and a change of pace from 3D Zelda. They are coming up with interesting uses of the graphics and 3D. It also looks way better than a DS game. Do you not remember what DS Zelda looked like? How does the wall mechanic not fit with Zelda lore? What piece of lore says "Link never had a power to turn into a drawing"?

Arkam

DaBoss - Did you notice any dashing in the demo footages so far? Does it take up Stamina?

I do wonder if the power glove(s) and Pegasus boots will return. We obviously saw the hammer, so thats a good sign of more LTTP tools.

And I would bet the dash does use stamina. Which I would kinda like.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mr Sessler, you have sold me on this game despite looking like a Skinny less pumped Kane from WWE

short, quick burst gaming sold man, he has the same opinions as me re:console length games on a handheld.

Luigi and Mario, I want it..

Sushigod7

Watched Sessler nice impressions! Super excited for everything the 3DS has to offer via eShop and boxed games. I hope we get a few more games like new 2D Metroid and a Majora's Mask 3DS. The later has little chance since this is in development.

Finally a Zelda game not stuck in 1998!

Yes, this one is stuck in 1992?

I'm not liking the gimicky goofy wall mechanic, doesn't fit in well with the Zelda lore at all. Guess Nintendo has lost so much originality they need hop onto the LTTP franchise and ride of that, whilst stealing a goofy Mario mechanic.

I agree with this. Paper Link isn't inspiring but I guess there has to be a gimmick.

But OOT was just ALTTP in 3D, the structure was pretty much the same. Unless you mean gameplay wise.

Plus it's not like they haven't already been doing differently flavoured handheld entries. Minish Cap for example is hardly a Zelda game with an Ocarina of Time complex, and neither is Phantom Hourglass.

Any way this looks good in the videos. Slowly warming up to it.

Lunar15

Taking the series back to LTTP era seems like a great idea since it seemingly releases Zelda team from the Ocarina of Time complex they've had for the past 15 years.

This. I hope it lets them have fun with classic gameplay, and learn more about the roots of Zelda. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the 3D Zeldas, but they absolutely have this weird desire to make everything like OOT. If they can't do something completely new, then let's go back to basics first.

Kai Dracon

But OOT was just ALTTP in 3D, the structure was pretty much the same. Unless you mean gameplay wise.

OOT introduced a lot of issues the team seemed to have trouble getting past.

- simplified and combat-free overworld
- requiring a vehicle to make travel time reasonable
- lots of empty dead space between points of interest
- long intros to ease players in to coping with a 3d world and 3d puzzles
- reducing combat to one-on-one z-targeting duels

They specifically said with Skyward Sword the LTTP overworld had been missing from Zelda and the dense pre-dungeon zones were an attempt to recreate that. (Which mostly worked imo.)

Top-down style seems to inherently remove most of those problems that get in the way of the classic Zelda flow many desire.

Top Bottom