• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda 3DS Impressions and Gameplay footage

Lunar15

Remixing music and the boss?

Kinda lame I think. Every Zelda game till now avoided that path.

I guess I'm not really viewing this as the "next zelda", but definitely a throwback game. I understand people are upset about this, but I dunno, I'm cool with a game full of callbacks, assuming it's not the next major production from the team. Plus the remixes seem to have enough variation that I'm satisfied.

RagnarokX

Remixing music and the boss?

Kinda lame I think. Every Zelda game till now avoided that path.

Sarcasm? Plenty of Zelda games have remixed music and bosses.

This game has more reason to do so since it's a direct sequel to the game it's remixing music from.

OMG WANT SO BAD AFTER SEEING NEW VIDEOS! Really, the new paper mario type stuff will be cool for dungeons. Hopefully we see more fresh mechanics like this in the rest of the game.

Shabutaro

Looks REALLY good in action. I honestly don't believe Id hesitate to pick this game up. Looks like a lot of fun, and the whole wall thing looks like it has alot of puzzle potential

You do realize that Link to the Past had "gimmicks" as well to make it as remembered as it is. The Light/Dark World mechanic? Or does that not count for some reason.

Also I'm really not seeing much of Paper Mario in here.

A few more:

-Terrain with different "heights"
-Swimming
-heart pieces (versus only the full heart containers. Obviously a ploy to stretch out the game!!)
-block puzzles (First zelda where you had to manuever objects and blocks to stand on switches. Before you'd only have to push a block one space to activate a secret)

Gimmicks are only gimmicks the first time they are used. You can't have "innovative" without trying "gimmicks". You can't have new "core" gameplay, without first trying out new "gimmicks".

To get the free game, I think you have until April 30th to buy a 3DS XL and either Luigi's Mansion or that Pokemon game.

Ah ok, hm can't decide which I like more the red or blue one. Blue is my fav color but I don't really like that shade of blue and find the red more appealing.

Broach

Banned
I guess I'm not really viewing this as the "next zelda", but definitely a throwback game. I understand people are upset about this, but I dunno, I'm cool with a game full of callbacks, assuming it's not the next major production from the team. Plus the remixes seem to have enough variation that I'm satisfied.

It definitly is for Nintendo...it's the 3D Land of the Zelda series. But I guess Handheld Zeldas haven't been viewed too much as mainline.

Skyzard

Banned
Really? I found OOT just really boring and quite tedious while Link to the Past is my favorite game of all time.

Also, I still would have preferred an art style like this

While that looks awesome imo, I agree it is a bit dark and would likely take more than a Wii U to run properly and look good - does look clay-ish as well I agree, not necessarily bad though.

I really don't mind the reuse of music and such, considering console Zelda games always change things up significantly and this is one of, if not the first time Nintendo have blatantly nostalgia-baited a Zelda game before, so I'm down for a game thats essentially just a big throwback to Link to the Past.

R0nn

It's very nice to see the multi layered puzzles making a return as well. Loved that stuff in LttP back in the day. It really blew my mind how you sometimes had to fall down some hole to reach a certain area on a previous floor. Shit was amazing.

It definitly is for Nintendo...it's the 3D Land of the Zelda series. But I guess Handheld Zeldas haven't been viewed too much as mainline.

Exactly. This game isn't going to be holding back the "true" sequel coming to Wii U anymore than Wind Waker HD is. We all knew we wouldn't be seeing the new zelda game till likely 2015 at the earliest (with maybe a brief mention of it existing this e3, and some demos of it next e3)

zroid

Banned
I watched Sessler's impressions. I don't often find myself agreeing with him on a lot of subjects, but he's one of those few people in the media whom I respect in spite of that. Seeing him excited for this game is infectious.

RagnarokX

the only thing gimmicky about tp was the half-assed sword swinging =[

A gimmick is something unique that makes something stand out from similar things. Gimmick has no negative or positive meaning; they can be good or bad.

Oh do tell me what the wolf is, oh wise one.

You seem to be implying that gimmicks are a negative thing. The wolf mechanic is a gimmick, and it wasn't very good. The Dark World was a gimmick and it was good.

A gimmick is something unique that makes something stand out from similar things. Gimmick has no negative or positive meaning; they can be good or bad.

You seem to be implying that gimmicks are a negative thing. The wolf mechanic is a gimmick, and it wasn't very good. The Dark World was a gimmick and it was good.

This. I think some people have spent too much time on forums during the Wii age and have somehow applied a negative tone to the word.

DaBoss

So the arrow charging thing is a bit weird, look at these two gifs:
diagarrowlpaid.gif

altt2arrowchargev8u9w.gif

The first arrow in the first gif did was a long charge, the second one wasn't, yet took a big chunk of energy.

The first arrow in the second gif was a short charge, but the second arrow, by eyeballing it looks like it took as long as the second arrow on the first gif.

Maybe strafing while charging an arrow takes up more energy? Maybe I'm a lunatic looking into this more than it needs to be and should wait for the game to come out?
Definitely a yes to the second question :lol

This thread is heading to a direction where people will call bombs and arrows gimmicks.

Of course they are!

Grok4Spock

Nintendo finally delivers what I've been waiting for.. A 2D Zelda and even better, it's based off of ALTTP.. Might have to get another 3DS..

RagnarokX

diagarrowlpaid.gif

altt2arrowchargev8u9w.gif

The first arrow in the first gif did was a long charge, the second one wasn't, yet took a big chunk of energy.

The first arrow in the second gif was a short charge, but the second arrow, by eyeballing it looks like it took as long as the second arrow on the first gif.

Maybe strafing while charging an arrow takes up more energy? Maybe I'm a lunatic looking into this more than it needs to be and should wait for the game to come out?
Definitely a yes to the second question :lol

Of course they are!

If arrows really are infinite in the final game, maybe instead of quivers upgrading the amount of arrows you can carry it upgrades the amount of arrows you can fire in quick succession.

http://www.abload.de/img/diagarrowlpaid.gif
[img]http://abload.de/img/altt2arrowchargev8u9w.gif

Maybe strafing while charging an arrow takes up more energy? Maybe I'm a lunatic looking into this more than it needs to be and should wait for the game to come out? [spoiler]Definitely a yes to the second question :lol[/spoiler]

Of course they are![/QUOTE]

Just different losses in stamina in the two vids, I don't think it's anything to do with the charging. It could be less because it's tweaked for the demo build, or an item which doubles stamina/halves stamina loss.

Just watched the 12 minute video with direct captured audio... I just had the biggest nostalgiagasm.

Stages of LttP 2 I've gone through.

Reggie showing it - Must buy.
3DS video - Must buy day 1
Direct feed audio version - I'm going to sneak into NoA and steal a copy months before release.... or stay up and direct download at midnight on release night.

MisterHero

That loading screen is freaking me out.

Loading when entering/leaving dungeons? Okay.
Loading between rooms because of a portal? lol

Top Bottom