• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda 3DS Impressions and Gameplay footage

Fine with me considering OOT was one of my least favorite Zeldas. LttP>Legend of Zelda>Wind Waker>Zelda II>Links Awakening>OOT>Twilight Princess>Skyward Sword>The rest of the Zeldas.

I like A Link to the Past too but other than it being 2D, it wasn't that different from the 3D Zeldas.

I want A Link to the Past remake in 3D. I don't really want a 2D sequel.

I like A Link to the Past too but other than it being 2D, it wasn't that different from the 3D Zeldas.

Really? I found OOT just really boring and quite tedious while Link to the Past is my favorite game of all time.

Also, I still would have preferred an art style like this

Through_the_night_by_Orioto.jpg

Lunar15

I feel like OOT is ALTTP in 3D. Or at least, the best you could hope for.

The problem is that gameplay in ALTTP is very centered around that grid based overworld and having something in every square. OOT is honestly a godsend in being able to translate something into 3D, although it's definitely different.

I want more top down gameplay. Not because it's superior or anything like that, but because it's good, and we haven't seen much of it in quite a while. The references to ALTTP are just icing on the cake. I wouldn't even care if this was an ALTTP 1.5.

Lunar15

Really? I found OOT just really boring and quite tedious while Link to the Past is my favorite game of all time.

To be honest, that's kind of how it does look. It's just not raining in any of the shots. I'm not saying it's EXACTLY the same, but close enough that I wonder why people keep bringing that up as if it's a wildly different art style. This picture is just at night and while raining.

The 3D Zeldas do seem to move slower, that seemed to happen to many games when they went to 3D, including Mario.

Think about JRPG's on the SNES and then JRPG's on the PS1. Long animations covering up load times.... It feels so nice to go back and play Breath of Fire today.

Those long ass tutorials are here to stay and I am sure this game will waste your time explaining the value of rupees too.

Miyamoto said....

That's enough for me. I think he's out of touch and just needs to retire.

IMO, you don't need to handheld-ize every damn game on the 3DS. Ocarina of Time worked just fine on the 3DS. I guess I'll go to Sony's handhelds when I want a console experience on a handheld.

jwhit28

Miyamoto said the top down formula fit the 3DS 3D perfectly. Looking from the top there is already a sense of depth. This is what he talked about when he originally bought up doing something like Link to the Past a year or so ago. So that is a pretty good reason to do top down over OoT style.

Broach

Banned
I'm not liking the gimicky goofy wall mechanic, doesn't fit in well with the Zelda lore at all. Guess Nintendo has lost so much originality they need hop onto the LTTP franchise and ride of that, whilst stealing a goofy Mario mechanic.

Yes, this one is stuck in 1992?
I agree with this. Paper Link isn't inspiring but I guess there has to be a gimmick.

Wow really now?

Is there now a fine line where a new feature is too "goofy" or "gimmicky"?

Damn, you won't be satisfied with games from Nintendo in general anymore, if you are that finnicky.

To be honest, that's kind of how it does look. It's just not raining in any of the shots. I'm not saying it's EXACTLY the same, but close enough that I wonder why people keep bringing that up as if it's a wildly different art style. This picture is just at night and while raining.

That pic looks like a painting (it kinda is) while the 3D LttP doesn't. I'm not saying that is a bad thing but I don't see how they look similar at all.

Duster

Link's Awakening is my favourite game in the series and I'm a little bit worried it will seem too slow and frustrating after/if I play this.
As that's my biggest concern it's obvious that I think this looks great.

Chuckpebble

It's weird how the 2D parts are more reminiscent of Wind Waker, yet that the rest of the game seems to be trying to distance itself from that style as much as possible. I guess its a lot closer to how LttP looks done in a mesh instead of pixels. Looked good over the shoulder in the Sessler video.

stuminus3

Only watched the Sessler video so far but damn, that actually looks like a whole lot of fun. A speedy arcade action Zelda game. I think I see where they're going with this.

Wow really now?

Is there now a fine line where a new feature is too "goofy" or "gimmicky"?

Damn, you won't be satisfied with games from Nintendo in general anymore, if you are that finnicky.

This is true, I m quickly losing my patience with Nintendo. Let's break Paper Mario for the 3DS and then let's add Paper Link to this game.

You know what, people like A Link to the Past without the gimmick. Why add one to it's sequel, it really isn't needed to sell the game.

Meelow

Banned
Why are we getting top down when the 3DS can pull more advanced graphics than OOT? The LTTP style can still be emulated in 3rd person. I see no other reason why they did this other than laziness. This shit could be done on a regular DS. I'm not liking the gimicky goofy wall mechanic, doesn't fit in well with the Zelda lore at all. Guess Nintendo has lost so much originality they need hop onto the LTTP franchise and ride of that, whilst stealing a goofy Mario mechanic.

Zelda Wii U will be 3D Zelda, so it shouldn't really matter that this is a top down Zelda.

A lot of people wanted a new top down Zelda like the older games and we are getting that, as well as the people that will get the 3D Zelda.

We all win.

Would you have really? I mean, it definitely makes for a nice picture, but translated into a game with 3d polygons moving and stuff, I don't see it looking good. Things would look like clay, imo.

Yeah. It's gorgeous art, but this is a 3DS game. And it looks like a 3DS game. I would maybe like something like that if it were on an HD console and executed properly, but good luck with that.

Sometimes I think people just want things that are kind of beyond feasibility. I'm not saying it's impossible or can't be done, but I think creating such expectations is... strange.

Raynes

Zelda Wii U will be 3D Zelda, so it shouldn't really matter that this is a top down Zelda.

A lot of people wanted a new top down Zelda like the older games and we are getting that, as well as the people that will get the 3D Zelda.

We all win.

No one wanted a top down 3D Zelda game. If you're going to do it fine, but it looks bland, give it the art style it deserves.

Kinda off topic but is that 3DS XL deal still on where you get free SML3D if you purchase an XL and Luigis mansion? Thinking maybe just pick up one of the ugly color xls then sell it when hopefully a ltt2 special bundle comes out (it is coming right gaf?? :))

zroid

Banned
You know what, people like A Link to the Past without the gimmick. Why add one to it's sequel, it really isn't needed to sell the game.

I don't understand what your problem is. It's a new mechanic which will allow them to design different types of puzzles. Is that a bad thing?

God I really hate Zelda threads

CDX

Kinda off topic but is that 3DS XL deal still on where you get free SML3D if you purchase an XL and Luigis mansion? Thinking maybe just pick up one of the ugly color xls then sell it when hopefully a ltt2 special bundle comes out (it is coming right gaf?? :))

To get the free game, I think you have until April 30th to buy a 3DS XL and either Luigi's Mansion or that Pokemon game.

Broach

Banned
This is true, I m quickly losing my patience with Nintendo. Let's break Paper Mario for the 3DS and then let's add Paper Link to this game.

You do realize that Link to the Past had "gimmicks" as well to make it as remembered as it is. The Light/Dark World mechanic? Or does that not count for some reason.

Also I'm really not seeing much of Paper Mario in here.

Holy shit the boss music in the video adds a new bit to the original boss theme, and it kind of sounds like the boss music in Super Mario World.

Velcro Fly

Man I kinda want them to do a LTTP remake in this art style now with 3D. The more I see of it the more I love it. I'm also interested to know about the turning into a drawing on the wall to move around.

Lunar15

Y'know, the soundtrack is going heavy horns, but I always imagined ALTTP dungeon music as violins and chello.

Not an issue, just interesting seeing how my idea of what the music was matches up with Nintendo's. The Overworld stuff we heard in the trailer was PERFECT though.

Man I kinda want them to do a LTTP remake in this art style now with 3D. The more I see of it the more I love it. I'm also interested to know about the turning into a drawing on the wall to move around.

Artstyle and overworld down, maybe we'll get some sweet LttP DLC 6 months after the game is out.

Top Bottom