• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

Curufinwe

Gamerankings - Persona 4 Golden

Metacritic - Persona 4 Golden

I'll have to update this at the end of December, but currently P4G is the highest rated game of 2012 on gamerankings with at least 20 reviews with an average score of 93.70%. Journey is in second place at 92.46%.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2012&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destructoid have published what I think is the first English review of P4 Golden for the Vita and given it 10/10.

Destructoid - 10/10

The reviewer, Dale North, is of the opinion that the new additions really add to the experience.

Plenty of other new story elements have been worked into the storyline to entertain return visitors to Inaba. Again, I won't spoil the experience, but new school events, trips, locales, holidays and more have been added to the existing content. There are even more Social Links to explore and max out. Returning fans may be surprised to hear that Social Links with detective Adachi are now available. You can even sneak out of the house after dark to explore the town's limited (and sometimes strange) night life. And I love that there's a strange new predisposition with steak. Thankfully, new animated cutscenes accent and support many of these new story bits. Atlus did a fantastic job with these many additions, making Persona 4 Golden feel more like an expansion than a port.

And concludes that P4G is the best reason so far for buying a Vita if you don't already have one.

Any Persona devotee will be thrilled with some of the bonus content Atlus has included in a new television feature. Using the set in your bedroom (or a menu option) you're able to view a page of television listings and select programs to enjoy various video clips and audio content. Songs from the fantastic Japanese Persona Music Live concerts can be viewed, as can introductions and commercials from past Persona series games. Another 'channel' lets you enjoy Persona music, jukebox menu style.

If you're a series fan, there's absolutely no excuse for missing Persona 4 Golden. The world has been enhanced and expanded so much that it feels like a new title, and that's coming from someone who has finished Persona 4 a couple of times beforehand. What started out as a pleasant revisit turned into a new adventure, with new story bits and dialogue constantly surprising me. You will not be disappointed.

For gamers curious about the franchise and looking for a way in, Persona 4 Golden is easily the best place to start, as it's the best looking and playing Persona game yet. And if you don't have a Vita yet, this is probably the best reason yet to get one.

Other reviews:

GameBlog.fr - 5/5 (French)

Le RPG des hipsters

Game Informer - 8.5/10

With an anthropomorphic bear, dungeons inside a television, and a look at characters' psychological issues, Persona 4 is unlike any other RPG – which is probably why it holds up so well. Four years have passed since Persona 4’s PS2 release, and with its transition to Vita, the ride is still addictive and thought-provoking.

GamesRadar - 4.5/5

Persona 4 Golden sports a phenomenal amount of content packed into a single card. One of the PlayStation 2's greatest role-playing games of all time graces the Vita with slick, vivid aesthetic improvements, loads of additional areas to explore, and tons of reasons to come back even if you've beaten the game into the ground.

Gaming Nexus - 9.8/10

I'm absolutely blown away at how much more stuff there is in this game, and I cannot recommend this enough to anyone out there who owns a Vita.

Honest Gamers - 9/10

The new content may or may not be enough to justify a purchase from returning fans, depending on the individual, but those people have already decided whether or not they want to play Persona 4 again. For new players, this is a game that’s not to be missed.

InsideGamingDaily - 9/10

Persona 4 Golden, however, is no simple port. Apart from shiny new visuals (it looks great on Vita’s wide screen), there’s a significant serving of new content in here, enough to make it essential even to those who have finished the PS2 original.

RPGFan - 96/100

If you enjoy RPGs in any form at all, Persona 4: The Golden is a game that you need to experience.

ZTGD - 10/10

Needless to say, Persona 4 Golden is a must buy for Vita owners. Large amounts of gameplay are wrapped in the shroud of an incredibly deep story. It touches on death, murder, other dimensions, moral ambiguity, suicide, celebrities, media exploits and even corporate greed via major department stores; this game has it all. I feel that Persona 4 Golden is a very fitting title; this game truly is golden.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Even if all of the new sections are literally photos of poop as long as the game doesn't have massive fps issues or save bugs it should get very high reviews.

JeTmAn81

I wonder if this could ever show up on the 3DS. Seems like it would sell far better than the Vita version.

Zenaku

Might be down to having played it on the PS2, but I haven't been enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

The beginning was a real drag; I don't remember it taking me as long as it did to get to the actual battles back when I first played it, but it took me 3-4 hours on Golden. I got bored on Risa and swapped the game with Type 0 (only have a 4GB card).

Grisby

Throw all other reviewers into the TV!
I wish I hadn't spoiled myself and watched most of GB's endurance run on this thing. Still the only 'youtube' runthrough I've seen of a game.

I'm still gonna pick it up down the road though as I didn't watch every single one.

Takao

Banned
So it'll be the highest rated game of all time that doesn't sell well?

It sold 260k in Japan, and at the very least Atlus USA has sold 10k of those not so great special editions. Given it's an expanded port I imagine Atlus is making bank.

UberTag

The question mark indicates that it's not a fact yet, just a possibility.

Currently Journey is the highest rated game this year with at least 10 reviews.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2012&numrev=1&sort=0&letter=&search=
Highest rated game this year on the PSV? Possibly.
Highest rated game this year for any system? Hardly.
It'll have some work to do just to match the 90 Metacritic score Persona 4 received on the PS2.
Portable games are inherently penalized by critics just as a rule, you know.
Unless they're on iOS.

Persona 4 on iOS would crack 95 without a challenge.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yea it will most likely be highest rated Vita game for 2012, but not for all the systems.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. I mean sure "highest rated" is a bit ultimate, but landing in the top 5 or even 3 best rated games this year definitely is not impossible.

Takao

Banned
Yeah. Hardly anybody even owns a Vita. There are ten times as many 3DS's out there.

They should release it on iOS. There are more Apple devices than Sony and Nintendo devices combined. Atlus is clearly hurting for money, so donating to the traditional handheld charity is beyond their means.

Shinta

Banned
Destructoid giving this a 10/10 is not at all a surprise. This guy is the biggest Persona fanboy out there. Nothing wrong with being a fan, and I'm sure it's a good port - but yeah, he does this for every Persona game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Doesn't always mean its gonna sell more.

I agree of course, but I think its pretty clear that a game def. has a higher chance to sell more copies on a console with a higher install base.

Pretty amazing though that the game pick up rate was like 3 times higher by Vita owners than 3DS owners (or something, dont quote me on that).

Vita owners definitely try to make up for their small quantity!

Astra

Same

:3

VLR is the other reason to get a Vita, right now. Although you can get it on 3DS if you've got that already, but Vita has the better version regardless.

Yeah, this and VLR were my two main motivations for buying a Vita. Even though one is an enhanced port, and another is available on the 3DS.

Roto13

I'm playing this right now. (As in, I currently have it paused on my lap.) It's pretty great so far. I never played the PS2 version.

If I were to review it right now I'd probably give it an 8 or 9.

MrBS

Regarding some spoilers

I won't spoil the experience.... Returning fans may be surprised to hear that Social Links with detective Adachi are now available..... Why would that be a surprise for returning fans exactly? Probably don't want to draw attention to that at all.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So what's with all the people complaining about the extra added stuff as not really feeling like a Persona game? Or were they just complaining its too fanservicey?

Curufinwe

Highest rated game this year on the PSV? Possibly.
Highest rated game this year for any system? Hardly.
It'll have some work to do just to match the 90 Metacritic score Persona 4 received on the PS2.
Portable games are inherently penalized by critics just as a rule, you know.
Unless they're on iOS.

Persona 4 on iOS would crack 95 without a challenge.

If P4G is the highest rated Vita game it will have to be at 90% or higher since Rayman Origins got to 89.6%. And it's not a huge jump from there to the current top game for any system - Journey at 92.5%.

I actually think that the length of P4G and the fact it's on the Vita will lead some sites that would would have given it 7 to not bother playing it at all, raising it's average score.

Venfayth

So what's with all the people complaining about the extra added stuff as not really feeling like a Persona game? Or were they just complaining its too fanservicey?

Most people who I've talked to that have had issues with it basically said that yeah it's too fanservicey.

But, being able to reroll persona fusions with a single button is a STAPLE addition!

Top Bottom