• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

Then he should play it. There's a lot more new than two social links.

In his opinion, most of then new events are too short to even amount to anything, and the new dungeon is bad, and etc. It is his opinion, why can your's be ok and his not?

cj_iwakura

I'm pretty sure it'll in fact sell like hotcakes, just like it did in Japan.

Sadly, I really can't fault Atlus USA for passing on EP. It would've bombed like IS did here and EP in Japan, and reviewers would've hated it too.

I think the only people worth getting mad are the fans who only like P3&P4.

Roto13

In his opinion, most of then new events are too short to even amount to anything, and the new dungeon is bad, and etc. It is his opinion, why can your's be ok and his not?

Because the post I quoted is factually wrong and not a matter of opinion.

graywolf323

Sadly, I really can't fault Atlus USA for passing on EP. It would've bombed like IS did here and EP in Japan, and reviewers would've hated it too.

I'm not giving up on EP unless they still don't say anything after P4G is out

Sophia

Dantis, the game has plenty of extra content, and you're just as wrong about it today as you were then. Furthermore, if you project your problem onto Persona 4 Golden and hope that it bombs, how does that help you? Such bitterness should be beneath us.

Because the post I quoted is factually wrong and not a matter of opinion.

We've tried to convince Dantis otherwise in virtually every thread it's come up. I think it's a doomed idea. :(

I am so tempted to get a Vita just for this game. I waaaant it, but I know I'll have buyer's remorse after 100 hours. ><;

Bladenic

Selling like hot cakes for a Persona game and a Vita game combined must be like selling ice cream in the winter for games that actually sell like hot cakes.

cj_iwakura

Selling like hot cakes for a Persona game and a Vita game combined must be like selling ice cream in the winter for games that actually sell like hot cakes.

It topped the charts the week it came out. Pretty sure it broke 100k in its first week.

Compare that to Persona 2, which struggled to break 20k.

And it's not the PSP; a new Idolmaster PSP game just topped the charts this week.

Shinta

Banned
It topped the charts the week it came out. Pretty sure it broke 100k in its first week.

Compare that to Persona 2, which struggled to break 20k.

And it's not the PSP; a new Idolmaster PSP game just topped the charts this week.

But P4 Arena sold like 60k, on a system with a much larger install base. And it's a new game, so no one already owned it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
We've tried to convince Dantis otherwise in virtually every thread it's come up. I think it's a doomed idea. :(

I am so tempted to get a Vita just for this game. I waaaant it, but I know I'll have buyer's remorse after 100 hours. ><;

Shhh don't say buyers remorse

Curufinwe

Dantis

This means nothing. Have you even read the list? 'Trophies'? 'An option to replay animated cutscenes.'? 'The addition of an in-game music player.'? This is not new content, silly. We should add the pretty new title screen and cut in images too, I guess. And they've changed the speech bubbles too. And hey, it's in widescreen now! New content abound!

Thomas Haliburton once said, "When a man is wrong and won't admit he is, he always gets angry."

Dantis, the game has plenty of extra content, and you're just as wrong about it today as you were then.

It has less than I would have expected or wanted, significantly less than Persona 3 Portable and even less of any substance.

When people discuss new content, 'features' such as a new shuffle system for post-battles should not even be mentioned.

Furthermore, if you project your problem onto Persona 4 Golden and hope that it bombs, how does that help you? Such bitterness should be beneath us.

If only.

It's true. I'm too far gone.

Sophia

Shhh don't say buyers remorse

I can't help it. I'm going to have buyer's remorse when dealing with a $300+ system. Even if logically I shouldn't! ;_;

I have no buyer's remorse for P4A tho. <3

It's true. I'm too far gone.

Suddenly, your shadow self appears. :p

This means nothing. Have you even read the list? 'Trophies'? 'An option to replay animated cutscenes.'? 'The addition of an in-game music player.'? This is not new content, silly. We should add the pretty new title screen and cut in images too, I guess. And they've changed the speech bubbles too. And hey, it's in widescreen now! New content abound!

Selectively cherry picking four of the weakest things from that list does not prove your point.

Dantis

I can't help it. I'm going to have buyer's remorse when dealing with a $300+ system. Even if logically I shouldn't! ;_;

Suddenly, your shadow self appears. :p

The Vita is actually a really nice piece of hardware. If you can find enough games to play on it, it's a very worthwhile purchase.

Curufinwe

But you quoted him saying this, which obviously refers to Japan.

We don't even get weekly sales figures for NA, but both 2012 P4 games sold over 100K in their first week in Japan.

MCS-Software-Week-24-2012.jpg

it's strange how I basically went from going against Dantis sort of in gamefaqs to defending him here...but yep.

P4G looks good, but some of the new things should have been given more time, and let stuff like Rise's uberabilities be able to turn off and such, would have went a long way...

Kyon

Banned
You mean to tell me the GREATEST game EVER made is getting FLAWLESS scores AS PER?

The other FLOP games this generationyear certainly tried tho

ifhHnKHMjssXZ.gif

Dantis

it's strange how I basically went from going against Dantis sort of in gamefaqs to defending him here...but yep.

P4G looks good, but some of the new things should have been given more time, and let stuff like Rise's uberabilities be able to turn off and such, would have went a long way...

What's your GFAQs user name by the way? You've mentioned talking to me on there before, but I can't say I remember anyone called Buddha...

What's your GFAQs user name by the way? You've mentioned talking to me on there before, but I can't say I remember anyone called Buddha...

its the same, but I mainly just lurked those days. I just have a pretty damn good memory. It was more that there was always a kind of big reaction whenever you posted stuff there and I sometimes posted against you hah.

Well, do you go by the 3-game rule? How much is your fun per hour worth? You could just wait it out for mem cards and what not to decrease in price which might be a possibility during and after the holiday season.

You could fold envelops in your uncle's upstairs bedroom for money.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So I might as well ask here.

Is the Amazon pre-order faceplate thing a screen protector + film for the rest? A plastic faceplate for the front surface? Something that covers everything but the screen?

Trying to decide if I want to dig in now or later.

Thanks!

Dantis

Havent the graphics been updated as well?

Nope. Here's a comparison.

its the same, but I mainly just lurked those days. I just have a pretty damn good memory. It was more that there was always a kind of big reaction whenever you posted stuff there and I sometimes posted against you hah.

Huh. Yeah, they got really mad at me sometimes. I sometimes wonder how many people have put me on ignore because of the mean things I've said about Persona. It's probably quite a few.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Well, do you go by the 3-game rule? How much is your fun per hour worth? You could just wait it out for mem cards and what not to decrease in price which might be a possibility during and after the holiday season.

You could fold envelops in your uncle's upstairs bedroom for money.

It'll increase your diligence!

So I might as well ask here.

Is the Amazon pre-order faceplate thing a screen protector + film for the rest? A plastic faceplate for the front surface? Something that covers everything but the screen?

Trying to decide if I want to dig in now or later.

Thanks!

Judging by Application Video it looks like that there is a screen protector.

Oh and, just droppin' a bomb here...Chie is an awesome character, shes cool, if far too physically abusive, which is played for laughs, because Japan, but MAN is she massively overrated....then again all Persona characters could be argued the same way...carry on.

Dantis

Oh and, just droppin' a bomb here...Chie is an awesome character, shes cool, if far too physically abusive, which is played for laughs, because Japan, but MAN is she massively overrated....then again all Persona characters could be argued the same way...carry on.

Chie was my favourite female character in the original game. The way the Internet jumped on her has kind of skewed my opinion of her though. Also, the new English voice is yuck.

Comet

This game is going to be my first Persona. I have no idea what to expect. I've seen plenty of pictures and am familiar with the ridiculously quirky art style of the franchise, so I say bring it on. I love rpgs, I love my Vita, this should be a marriage made in heaven right? Can't be worse than Liberation.

GorillaJu

It has less than I would have expected or wanted, significantly less than Persona 3 Portable and even less of any substance.

When people discuss new content, 'features' such as a new shuffle system for post-battles should not even be mentioned.

I played P3P and P4G and of the two Golden is head and shoulders above P3P in terms of expansion.

If your argument is that the extra dungeon, cutscenes etc aren't enough then perhaps you should change your posts to reflect that instead of basically claiming it's the same game with two new social links and a new dungeon.

The shuffle change, addition of bikes, Okina station, etc. may not be huge story additions but they certainly freshen up the game and give a new feel to it. You can't ignore these things and features that people enjoy just because they aren't what you want specifically.

Dantis

I played P3P and P4G and of the two Golden is head and shoulders above P3P in terms of expansion.

If your argument is that the extra dungeon, cutscenes etc aren't enough then perhaps you should change your posts to reflect that instead of basically claiming it's the same game with two new social links and a new dungeon.

The shuffle change, addition of bikes, Okina station, etc. may not be huge story additions but they certainly freshen up the game and give a new feel to it. You can't ignore these things and features that people enjoy just because they aren't what you want specifically.

Wut.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. The female protagonist's story was miles more significant than everything in the Golden combined. Shuffle change? Bikes? Okina station? Minor.

Kyon

Banned
Chie was my favourite female character in the original game. The way the Internet jumped on her has kind of skewed my opinion of her though. Also, the new English voice is yuck.

I hate when my favorite thing gets popular ... Seriously .... That's some elementary stuff no offense

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I think Giant Bomb takes most of the blame for that, maybe, I dunno, I liked her before their ED Run and still do.

This game is going to be my first Persona. I have no idea what to expect. I've seen plenty of pictures and am familiar with the ridiculously quirky art style of the franchise, so I say bring it on. I love rpgs, I love my Vita, this should be a marriage made in heaven right? Can't be worse than Liberation.

Comet, you will love it.

Also, here is a non-spoiler pro-tip for you and your many adventures in Persona 4:

cj_iwakura

Wut.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. The female protagonist's story was miles more significant than everything in the Golden combined. Shuffle change? Bikes? Okina station? Minor.

Who cares about an extra scenario bridging the gap between IS and EP when you can put Naoto in a bikini?

Astra

Bu bu but... the Nexus 7.... and the Wii U.... I ONLY HAVE MONEY FOR ONE THING! *sobs*

Your pain is felt here. Luckily for me, I started saving money months ago, since the AC Vita bundle and the Wii U came out so close together. While my wallet still weeps, it's a little easier to handle.

That said, Persona! PER-SO-NA!

Top Bottom