• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
but what did drake say wrong?
It's more like...you just shouldn't say it, even if it's true. It's burning bridges.
Drake is the future.
I honestly wonder when people will get tired of him. I like Drake as much as the next person and have been a fan ever since I heard him in 2009, I just think he has run out of things to say. He does have nice catchy hooks though. I don't even like Fake Love, but I do like singing that chorus.

HiiiLife

It's more like...you just shouldn't say it, even if it's true. It's burning bridges.

I honestly wonder when people will get tired of him. I like Drake as much as the next person and have been a fan ever since I heard him in 2009, I just think he has run out of things to say. He does have nice catchy hooks though. I don't even like Fake Love, but I do like singing that chorus.

When people get tired of Future. But Vorheez will tell you differently.

With that being said...yeah More Life gon be on par. Difference is I'm an Aubrey fan.

WaffleTaco

We didn't need Kanye talkin about go pro dicks and bleached assholes anyway. Can only take so much corn lyrics on one track.
Yeah that song is ridiculous, but fun. "What if everybody start fucking?"

Why is Kanye the "Reason Drake is here"?

Honestly curious what you mean; what does Drake's career have to do with Kanye?
^As stated above 808's had major influence into rappers also being singers. Plus he co-produced Drake's first big song: Find Your Love.

riotous

Banned
^As stated above 808's had major influence into rappers also being singers. Plus he co-produced Drake's first big song: Find Your Love.

Ah, I guess I get the 808's thing. (not that I agree completely, but if you want to attribute every single singing rapper's success to Kanye, I won't stop you, but the back of your throat must be sore)

But... Find Your Love his first big song?

Best I ever Had was a huge hit wasn't it?

WaffleTaco

Ah, I guess I get the 808's thing. (not that I agree completely, but if you want to attribute every single singing rapper's success to Kanye, I won't stop you, but the back of your throat must be sore)

But... Find Your Love his first big song?

Best I ever Had was a huge hit wasn't it?
Not every singer, mainly Drake, Wiz and Kid Cudi. And Best I Ever had was popular among rap fans, but I would argue the general public didn't really get a taste of his music till Find Your Love.

riotous

Banned
Not every singer, mainly Drake, Wiz and Kid Cudi. And Best I Ever had was popular among rap fans, but I would argue the general public didn't really get a taste of his music till Find Your Love.

That's just not true...

"Best I Ever Had" peaked at number two on the US Billboard Hot 100, becoming Drake's first top-ten single. It remained his highest charting single in the United States until "One Dance" (2016) peaked at number one.

Was huge among the non-hip-hop fan club girls I knew back then.

Best I Ever Had was #2 on billboard, charted much higher than Find Your Love. Sold a lot more too. Waaay bigger song.

also, there would be no 808s & heartbreak without kid cudi

WaffleTaco

Oh wow, I never realised Best I Ever Had was that big. And I am usually very on top about the charts. Thats just embarrassing.

Goldboy

Oh wow, I never realised Best I Ever Had was that big. And I am usually very on top about the charts. Thats just embarrassing.

Don't sweat it but yeah, Best I Ever Had was huge. I was in high school when it dropped and you couldn't go anywhere without hearing it. Some kid even recorded himself rapping over the instrumental of it via webcam and posted it on Youtube dedicated to his girlfriend of like a week, dude got roasted hard lmao

So, firstly, Drake's kind of a dick for airing out this shit in public. I respect the honesty and candor, but dude suffered a breakdown so severe he went to the hospital and his wife nearly died. And your reaction is to feel hurt that he shit on your Views B-Side with Khaled adlibs? I hope he talked with Ye about this shit first, instead of airing his dirty laundry in public.

Secondly, the XXX thing was dumb as shit. Drake's not going to bite some minor underground rap dude who got 15-year olds claiming he's going to save rap. He only bites from the cream of the underground crop; dancehall and grime.

Thirdly, what shit is this?
Drake said:
Whether people want to admit or not, the influence that it’s had on music, I feel is very evident, whether people don’t wanna say it.
Yes, suddenly people are clamoring for more overstuffed mediocre rap albums that sell gangbusters because your single was popular enough to get Donald Trump to dance to it. Fuck that, your influence is evident in the turgid Toronto sound Roy Woods, PND, Majid Jordan et al. use to make second-tier Drake songs.

Fourthly,
And you know from there I don’t waste too much time, so I just was like alright cool I’ll finish it, I can rap as good as anybody else, so I’ll just go finish this song and put forth my own version cos I don’t really like… you know no one can dangle anything over my head in this business, I don’t play that.
So you didn't like Kanye's verse or...you thought he out-rapped you? Because Kanye's verse was the most memorable part of that song aside from the whole chorus. I literally only know the hook and Ye's verse from that song because it was full of quotables i.e. "They like, Pablo, why are all the windows tinted on your Tahoe? / Why do you know every single bitch that I know?" or "Chop a thick bitch on a Kawasaki." You want to not be outrapped? Rap something quotable or fun to rap along to.

I don't really like Drake because he chose stagnation and stardom over artistic development. He could have really put something great and actively challenged his sound and instead we get mediocre verses over frankly wasted production. And for the record, he is a bit of a culture vulture. Say what you want about Kanye, but at least he didn't just filter down genres he liked into new hits.

Also, Controlla was way better as a Popcaan song than a Drake featuring Drake song.

So, firstly, Drake's kind of a dick for airing out this shit in public. I respect the honesty and candor, but dude suffered a breakdown so severe he went to the hospital and his wife nearly died. And your reaction is to feel hurt that he shit on your Views B-Side with Khaled adlibs? I hope he talked with Ye about this shit first, instead of airing his dirty laundry in public.
blah blah blah. if kanye can be a dick on stage then drake can be a dick in an interview.
Thirdly, what shit is this?
Yes, suddenly people are clamoring for more overstuffed mediocre rap albums that sell gangbusters because your single was popular enough to get Donald Trump to dance to it. Fuck that, your influence is evident in the turgid Toronto sound Roy Woods, PND, Majid Jordan et al. use to make second-tier Drake songs.
the influx of psuedo dancehall tracks after work, one dance, etc is pretty apparent.
Fourthly,
So you didn't like Kanye's verse or...you thought he out-rapped you? Because Kanye's verse was the most memorable part of that song aside from the whole chorus. I literally only know the hook and Ye's verse from that song because it was full of quotables i.e. "They like, Pablo, why are all the windows tinted on your Tahoe? / Why do you know every single bitch that I know?" or "Chop a thick bitch on a Kawasaki." You want to not be outrapped? Rap something quotable or fun to rap along to.

I don't really like Drake because he chose stagnation and stardom over artistic development. He could have really put something great and actively challenged his sound and instead we get mediocre verses over frankly wasted production.
he's talking about Jay never actually giving a verse.
And for the record, he is a bit of a culture vulture. Say what you want about Kanye, but at least he didn't just filter down genres he liked into new hits.
i mean, drake is no more of a culture vulture than kanye. kanye jumped on cudi's style, travis scott, chief keef etc.
we get mediocre verses over frankly wasted production.
sounds like tlop

Bronx-Man

Banned
Yeezus don't sound a damn thing like what Keef was putting out. And Trav didn't do shit on that album, he just put his name on it when it all done.

Yeezus don't sound a damn thing like what Keef was putting out. And Trav didn't do shit on that album, he just put his name on it when it all done.
never said it did. but torre said drake was a bit of a culture vulture for jumping on different genres. Kanye has a record of jumping on younger artists' style and he's definitely gotten backlash for it
Young Chop said:
"The nigga Kanye don't make it no better," Chop said in an Instagram video, which he posted after previous ones where he discussed issues with Chicago artists. "He right along with the shits. Use you, try to soak up everything niggas know, get you to write songs for the him, and then don't call you after that. Fuck him!"

Jumped on Cudi's style for 808s, travis was a big part of yeezuz etc.

I've never been a fan of Drakes music (don't hate it, I like his features and play a song or two of his every few months or so), but I've always rooted for Drake the character.

Boss Drizzy stepping on people's necks>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've always wanted Jay to give an interview like this where he just goes off, they both get similar types of attacks and Jay is generally closed off.

blah blah blah. if kanye can be a dick on stage then drake can be a dick in an interview.
Context matters. Ye was being a dick because he was having a mental breakdown. Drake was being a dick because...?
the influx of psuedo dancehall tracks after work, one dance, etc is pretty apparent.
Drake jumped on a style that grew popular courtesy of Kygo and Bieber. Where Are U Know came out 5 months before "Hotline Bling." IYRITL had no tropical house influence on it and came out at the same time, and besides, "Hotline Bling" ripped "Cha-Cha" off pretty hard too, so it's not even an original bite.

he's talking about Jay never actually giving a verse.
This is the full quote.
Yeah, I was dealing directly with Ye and that’s the version that he sent me and that was what we talked about and he was like “man you know this is like ‘Pop Style’ featuring the throne, this is huge” and I was excited obviously anybody would be excited to see them link back up. And then I didn’t know what I was gonna hear. So when I heard Jay had two bars, I was like alright it is what it is, it’s cool I like that, it’s a little intro and Kanye goes off. And then you know I’m not really sure the details between how that conversation was miscommunicated or what they were going through at that time, or what anybody felt towards me or whatever it was, I’m not really sure but next thing I knew it just became a bit of an issue. And you know from there I don’t waste too much time, so I just was like alright cool I’ll finish it, I can rap as good as anybody else, so I’ll just go finish this song and put forth my own version cos I don’t really like… you know no one can dangle anything over my head in this business, I don’t play that. So it just needed to be done and I did it myself and yeah both versions exist, so when Kanye comes out to do it at the shows it goes crazy. I know he was really upset cos at that time we were working together pretty heavy and he really wanted to be on the record but you know…
I misunderstood the original quote, he removed it because Jay didn't want to be featured or something, I don't really remember why Ye said they removed his feature.
i mean, drake is no more of a culture vulture than kanye. kanye jumped on cudi's style, travis scott, chief keef etc.
No way. There's a difference between just biting and doing what Kanye did. Kanye may have used Cudi's style and lyrics, but the vision of 808s is undeniably him. Cudi didn't craft that record, Ye did. Same with Yeezus. I have never heard a Travis Scott song that matches anything on "Yeezus", at all. Ye might have used Travis' work as inspiration, but that album is wholly his own in the way its produced, rapped, and presented. Kanye bites in the sense he takes styles and changes them to make something different. There's a reason Cudi filtered through Kanye has done so much better than Cudi on his own.
sounds like tlop
I'd argue they're different types of mediocrity. Kanye bars are shitty but quotable and hence memorable. Yes, they're dumb but I'll be damned if it isn't hype as fuck to sing along to his songs i.e "Step to your bitch like / I'm the one your bitch like", "What the-What the fuck right now", "We on a ultra light beam", etc. He may not be the strongest rapper, but he knows how to organize elements into making something memorable.

Drake doesn't have that. The only memorable bits about "Views" are the genuinely awful bars. Yes, we know, Kanye has the bleached asshole line, but Drake has "6 upside down is a nine now", "Why you gotta fight with me at Cheesecake", "Key chain go jangalang", "All these handouts, it's getting outta hand", "You go to CVS to buy Kotex in my Bugatti" and these are just in two songs. Drake has them en masse. You could argue I'm just being obtuse, and deeming equally shitty bars unequal because I'm a Kanye fan. And yeah, I kind of am, but there's something different about a Kanye shitty line and a Drake shitty line in my mind, but that may just be bias.

HiiiLife

I've never been a fan of Drakes music (don't hate it, I like his features and play a song or two of his every few months or so), but I've always rooted for Drake the character.

Boss Drizzy stepping on people's necks>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've always wanted Jay to give an interview like this where he just goes off, they both get similar types of attacks and Jay is generally closed off.

Talk that shit Drake. Fuck em.

Talk that shit Drake. Fuck em.
Only so long you can get laid into before you fully embrace your industry Titan status and empty out on people.

"They say a midget standin on the giant's shoulder can see much
Further than the giant.. (the giant..)
So I got the whole rap world on my shoulder they tryin to see
Further than I am... (than I am..)
And I have been tryin to be patient with they preoccupation
With David and Goliath.. (Goliath..)
But sooner or later, that patience gonna run it's course
And I'm forced to be a tyrant."

HiiiLife

Just suck his dick already
Bucket list project - saba
Only so long you can get laid into before you fully embrace your industry Titan status and empty out on people.

"They say a midget standin on the giant's shoulder can see much
Further than the giant.. (the giant..)
So I got the whole rap world on my shoulder they tryin to see
Further than I am... (than I am..)
And I have been tryin to be patient with they preoccupation
With David and Goliath.. (Goliath..)
But sooner or later, that patience gonna run it's course
And I'm forced to be a tyrant."

GOD.

FZZ

Banned
I mean

Honestly

I think Ye's officially fallen off, expecting more Tyga tier tracks from him going forward

Maybe one day he will drop Can U Be tho

tragic

Eos

I mean

Honestly

I think Ye's officially fallen off, expecting more Tyga tier tracks from him going forward

tragic
whoa.png

I mean

Honestly

tragic
He's made nothing less than a good album imo, and TLOP was just a fall off from two classics (but still good).
Not to mention great tracks like All Day and Only One.
No way Kanye's fallen off, people just seem so thirsty to say that's happened.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I mean

Honestly

tragic

You don't actually believe this. You know goddamn well you're gonna be in the Turbo Grafx OT just like the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom