• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Anth0ny

I'm watching Armada sets right now and I think there's an argument to be made for Peach's nair being the second best move in the game after shine.

It's fucking amazing.

I'm watching Armada sets right now and I think there's an argument to be made for Peach's nair being the second best move in the game after shine.

It's fucking amazing.

Nair is pretty good, Peach is pretty good.

You get away with beating out so much stuff with it since people try to play impatiently.

Then they wait a few frames and RIP you.

Anth0ny

Nair is pretty good, Peach is pretty good.

You get away with beating out so much stuff with it since people try to play impatiently.

Then they wait a few frames and RIP you.

Exactly. I'm talking real world against real people with natural tendencies. It just fucks you up in so many different ways and it's easy to land, super safe and super fast. Possibly the best out of shield option in the game when you take execution into consideration.

Plus Peach has float, making it even more versatile than it already is.

xezuru

I can't tell, are they fucking up the katakana on purpose because dumb weeb shit? Cause the different promotions have different spellings and they literally just could of asked Toph.

Wonder whos gonna be the wild cards this year anyways

Pappasman

The Kage v Chudat set at Dreamhack was pretty good. Kage really got into his head and just took Chu apart.

Unfortunatly, N0ne happened to Kage lol. Kage should just pick falcon all the way next time. But it was awesome to a canadian GFs.

peter0611

Exactly. I'm talking real world against real people with natural tendencies. It just fucks you up in so many different ways and it's easy to land, super safe and super fast. Possibly the best out of shield option in the game when you take execution into consideration.

Plus Peach has float, making it even more versatile than it already is.
Now I'm curious to know what Armada would think of this, lol.

Her down smash still pisses me off.

Codeblue

What character is Plup using at Summit?

I saw him murder Shiz on netplay in Falco dittos a while back so I'd love to see more of the bird.

Codeblue

I was just looking at that. Top 3 regions are the last to get in.

It's almost like they're voting for who's in grand finals at this point.

Edit: and Socal stays undefeated.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Syrox looking like a beast vs Chu. Didn't get grabbed once in game 1.

0-death in game 2.

That was so one sided. Never seen Chu get beaten like that.

Also, Lovage managed to upset Leffen which is kind of insane.

Amsa with a clean 2-0 vs Plup, outside top 64. Crazy tournament.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lovage is looking like a top 20-30 player, really nice.

Until game 3 at least.

Plup stole two games from Wizzy. Wizzy just got up too early so Plup got the ledge and got the KO on last stock last hit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Android was hilarious. Hbox goes and get coached between GF sets, then Android comes up like he's going to coach Armada but just gives him a Monster and sits back down.

And bag of sleeves is going to be a meme after this tournament.

I wonder if Hbox will ever learn to JCgrab.

peter0611

Clutchbox indeed.

People who criticize Hbox's pop offs for being overbearing\cringey gotta understand how hard performing in those situations is on the brain. It's a combination of feeling yourself and absolute relief for it being over. Not everyone can just give a hand shake and mini fist pump; he'd literally explode from trying to contain all those emotions. :O

ec0ec0

one day mew2king, one day ;_;

also, stage selection in fox vs puff is abysmal for puff, jesus. You win one game, they take you to final destination (you obviously lose). You win another game, they take you to pokemon stadium (you obviously lose). And even then, you have to win on f*cking yoshi story?

it's nothing new, i have seen it hundreds of times, but still, those stages are bullsh*t. They are so bad for puff. And the stages were hungrybox tends to win (battlefield and dreamland) are completelely fine for fox. If hunfrybox loses in any of those two, then the fox only needs to win the final destination and the pokemon stadium games.

It's crazy that hungrybox manages to beat armada twice, even when the stage selection is so loopsided in fox's favour. Fox is already good enough against puff, there's no need for the stages helping him that much more.

Also, hungrybox really does not like fountain of dreams.

ec0ec0

I'm guessing he doesn't like the platforms because he can't get techchases on them consistently like he can on other platform stages.

wow good point, you mean the up throw tech chases? where he up throws them and they land on the side platform, then up throws them from the side to the top platform, and then up throw them again from the top platform? he tends to do that quite often on battlefield.

or do you mean up throw into missed tech on the side platform into rest?

or simply, all of that?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wow good point, you mean the up throw tech chases? where he up throws them and they land on the side platform, then up throws them from the side to the top platform, and then up throw them again from the top platform? he tends to do that quite often on battlefield.

That or the uair platform tech trap. None of it works reliably on FoD due to the weird platforms.

ec0ec0

after reading some comments on the internet... how can anyone watch the fox vs puff matchup and complain about puff!?

the stage selection is super loopsided in fox's favour, and, unless puff lands a grab, up air or such, she has to land a clean hit, and then retreat, in like 5 separated ocassions (catching fox with a single back air each time, as she can't get more). Then, finally, as fox gets knocked down after each hit, she can try presurring fox in the corner or potentially getting an edge guard. Meanwhile, in half the stages, fox can turn a hit or grab in neutral, into a very low percent kill. Puff has to be so clutch!! landing rests, edguards, sdiing fox's up air over and over, all while being forced to aproach fox, which she has to do while being very carefull because fox can kill her super easily. Like jesus, puff does not have it easy.

Fugu

after reading some comments on the internet... how can anyone watch the fox vs puff matchup and complain about puff!?

the stage selection is super loopsided in fox's favour, and, unless puff lands a grab, up air or such, she has to land a clean hit, and then retreat, in like 5 separated ocassions (catching fox with a single back air each time, as she can't get more). Then, finally, as fox gets knocked down after each hit, she can try presurring fox in the corner or potentially getting an edge guard. Meanwhile, in half the stages, fox can turn a hit or grab in neutral, into a very low percent kill. Puff has to be so clutch!! landing rests, edguards, sdiing fox's up air over and over, all while being forced to aproach fox, which she has to do while being very carefull because fox can kill her super easily. Like jesus, puff does not have it easy.
I blame mang0 for this attitude disseminating. There is a notion that Hbox hasn't earned his position on the basis that he's doing it as a Puff player (who is characterized as easy to play despite the fact that there is exactly one relevant Puff player) and that that somehow overrides the fact that the matchup is extremely stacked in Fox's favor, which is of course bullshit.

We should all be glad that the anti-Hungrybox crowd has no actual influence over decision-making given the effect that his presence has on the other top level players.

Anth0ny

Yeah the bias against puff is bullshit and a holdover from like 2012 when the "lol all hbox does is bair bair bair and camp" meme was running rampant. Hbox is incredible and some of the stuff he manages with puff is hype as fuck.

Now that almost everyone plays Fox against him, it's hard to cheer against him imo. unless it's m2k because i'm a fucking fanboy.

ec0ec0

Now that almost everyone plays Fox against him (hungrybox), it's hard to cheer against him imo. unless it's m2k because i'm a fucking fanboy.

Lol this is me watching hungrybox's top 8s.

Me when he is playing against any other fox but mew2king: "the stage selection is completele bullsh*t, how can hungrybox do this", "Neutral is bullsh*t, he has to cath fox a million times (to rack up percent) to be able to knock him down", "please hungrybox don't let this super lame fox win"

When mew2king is playing, though? We need all the help se can get and more. Fox (mew2king) is able to kill hungrybox at super low percent: "good". If the fox is outside of crouch cancel percent? Instead of being excited/relieved for hungrybox landing a hit and knocking down fox (and potencially killing or edguarding them), i go: "please don't get hit, please don't get hit, no, no, no, no, no, no, get the f*ck out of that side platform, get back to center stage, get back to center stage, aaaaahhhh!!" When mew2king is off stage "come back, come back, we need to rack up more damage before loosing this stock!"

Then mew2king loses, so hungrybox is going to play armada's fox, and i do a complete 180, and i'm with puff till death.

Fugu

I tend to cheer for Hungrybox regardless of who he is playing against, and then I cheer for M2K regardless of who he's playing against unless it's Hungrybox.

I just think the hate that Hungrybox gets is absurd and that over the last couple of years he's been almost single-handedly breathing life into a lot of these stacked tournaments by being the guy who can also win a major.

ec0ec0

I tend to cheer for Hungrybox regardless of who he is playing against, and then I cheer for M2K regardless of who he's playing against unless it's Hungrybox.

I just think the hate that Hungrybox gets is absurd and that over the last couple of years he's been almost single-handedly breathing life into a lot of these stacked tournaments by being the guy who can also win a major.

Are you seeing this sh*t, mew2king? You always reach winners finals, only to lose against armada in the last stock. Then you go to losers and end up 3rd. Therefore, people have to put their hopes on hungrybox.

Come on mew2king, you were up 2 games to 1 against armada and, you were clearly beating him in neutral (with armada going from 0 to 100 percent, and you barely getting hit, multiple times). Then on the pokemon stadium game (why is that sh*t still legal? serious question), only having to win one more game, you go down to fight f*cking peach (down smash machine) under the tree, with marth!? (and not only once, which is stupid enough, but on multiple ocassions)

I could understand if you were using Fox, but with marth? Are you out of your mind, you basically comited suicide? What is Marth supposed to do down there? All his moves are slow (swinging the sword) compared to fox's aerials/shine, and you can't simply throw them out whenever you need to put out a move in an small space (like under the tree) because, unlike foxes moves, they are not axe kicks and you need to space them. So, even if you do have time to put out a move, if it hits up close, it's going to be unsafe on shield and maybe even on hit. You don't have good out of shield options either.

If peach cathes you under the tree as marth (either hitting you shield or actually hitting you), how are you going to avoid getting destroyed? fox at least has crazy fast moves with good knockback up close, so he may survive, and turn things around, even if peach hits his shield or him, but marth?

One the other hand, peach is godlike down there. She can put out fast, safe, very stong up close aerials (float cancel nair, back air), down smash (eats your shield, murder you under the tree if you get hit), etc...

So you are basically going down there, hoping to land a grab into back throw to get peach out of there and, if you get touch, you get down smashed to death.

Even if you're playing fox, going down there is clearly a bad idea, but you at least have the tools to fight back. Marth clearly does not want to fight up close, without room to "breathe", so fighting under the tree, where you can easily end up traped without any space to retreat, dash dance, or space your moves, seems like the last place where you would want to be?

I swear that armada counterpicks mew2king to pokemon stadium, just because he knows that mew2king is going to fight him in the transformations, just for fear of waiting for the transformation to end and armada getting a stichface in the meantime.

Like, outside of the transformations (and it's very dangerous spots for marth), the default layout with a platform on each side, looks great for marth? can't you just wait for the dangerous transformations to end?

statistically, armada shouldn't be getting a stichface in the downtime, right?

or they can do the common sense thing and ban pokemon stadium already.

GamerJM

Banned
The worst thing about Fox vs. Puff is that I often get a serious amount of deja vu when watching it. It feels like a matchup where, even though it's not even close to being "solved," the amount of creativity and freedom both sides have is more limited. I'm not really sure why, if I had to guess it has to do with Puff as a character.

Grand finals last night was a rare exception to that however. What a set. I was on the edge of my seat both game 5s.

ec0ec0

About what i was saying above.

If i'm mew2king, playin as marth, against armada's peach, on pokemon stadium on the fire transformation, and armada goes under the tree and starts pulling out turnips, i'd repeat on my head "he's not going to pull a stitch face, he's not going to pull a stitch face, he's NOT going to pull a stitch face..." and not go down there under any circunstance.

And if it does happen (which it shouldn't), that's just once, is not going to happen again, let alone a 3rd time on the same game, right? lol

Even then, i'd just repeat to myself that it should not happen and bet on that. Sounds a lot better that forcing your way under the tree.

ec0ec0

I think modded Melee with frozen stadium will be accepted before stadium is banned.

Oh, i was absolutely talking about banning stadium in it's current form. However, i do understand that there's almost no chance of it simply being banned (without being replaced with moded frozen stadium), as the number of legal stages is already very small, so they wouldn't want to lose one stage (probably the reason why final destination is legal, even though it's so polarizing).

Frozen stadium would be great. There's no top platform but there's at least a platform on each side (preventing it from being as polarizing as final destination), yet it offers a layout very different to any other stage. And the platforms are not super separeted from each other, so players could always escape to the platforms to deal with combos and chain grabs.

But i don't think that stadium should be able to stay as it is, simply because the number of legal stages is already low enough. I say, ban stadium, as it would be deserved, then you would have to make frozen stadium legal as people wouldn't want to lose one stage. It would be such a massive improvement holy sh*t.

How can pokemon stadium still be legal, with 3 of it's 5 forms being the rock, the fire and water (windmill) transformations?

The default form (no transformation) is great. It offers a different layout that can be beneficial in many matchups. It should obviously be an standalone stage.

You could even make the grass transformation a standalone stage, but a stage that includes the rock, fire and water transformations!? what are you doing?

Then they could ban final destination while there are at it. Although, obviously, that's asking for way too much.

edited.

Top Bottom