• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Volcynika

b2Djk.png

0vkVO.jpg

When the adventuresome duo of Adol and Dogi make an unnanounced visit to Dogi's homeland of Felghana, it quickly becomes apparent that things have changed dramatically since Dogi departed on a journey of self-discovery eight years earlier. Hordes of violent monsters roam the outskirts of town, there's an unsettling rumor of a long-dormant volcano suddenly becoming active again, and the lord of the land has become more and more tyrannical with every passing day, most recently depriving the land's citizens of their right to mine for the precious ore known as "raval" - a staple of the economy for generations. As Adol and Dogi befin their search for the source of Felghana's recent tribulations, they find each clue leads them more and more towards the disturbing conclusion that these events are all somehow linked. The closer they get to the truth, the higher the stakes, as the consequences of their actions affect not just Felghana, but possibly the entire world.

5VOjv.jpg

• Platform -- PC http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/
  • Genre -- Action RPG
  • Release Date: 03/19/2012 (NA and EU)
  • Publisher -- XSEED Games
  • Website -- Official Ys: The Oath in Felghana Website
  • ESRB -- T for Teen (Blood, Fantasy Violence, Mild Language, Suggestive Themes)
  • Pricing -- $14.99 (US), 9.99 pounds (UK), 11.99 Euros (rest of EU), 299 ruples (Russia).

Other territories will have the price set automatically, but no region restrictions have been specified -- as far as we're concerned, this is a worldwide English launch.

F7jxZ.jpg

(The following screens are from the PSP version, and they will be edited when I get my hands on some PC screens post-work)

x9VCc.jpg

(The following trailers are from the PSP version, and they will be edited when I get my hands on some PC screens post-work)

br6Gd.jpg

(The following reviews are from the PSP version, and will be edited if there are reviews specifically if reviews are done for the PC release)

qd4aW.jpg

Some quick details from XSEED:

- This release is based off of the original PC version of Ys: The Oath in Felghana, which means it does not contain the voice-acting or other additions present in the PSP version. It does, however, contain Steam achievements with unique icon art, leaderboards for story mode and Time Attack best times and Steam cloud support.

- Widescreen is supported, but as the game is designed for 4:3 resolution, all widescreen settings will result in a stretched display. We're looking into the possibility of at least partially addressing this via patch in the future, but as the game was originally programmed specifically for 4:3 displays, we would recommend using a full-screen resolution during your initial playthrough.

- Ys: The Oath in Felghana natively supports all Windows-compatible gamepads, and this is the recommended input device to use when playing the game.

Finally, my friends, let me leave you with this important piece of advice before you begin your journey, both in the game and posting of your exploits here...

NZpy9.jpg

*Much credit to Celedin for helping me with this thread.
**I realize a lot of this content is the same as the PSP version, but that's all I can work with. Banners/headers seem fine since they were not PSP specific, but will try to get new screens if someone can either take screens to put in the OP or if they release some. I could also put achievements in here if someone gets the list and PMs it to me. I'll spoiler tag it of course.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This was the only Ys game that i finished.

Is there another one that plays like this one?

Ys Origins plays pretty similarly, as does Ys VI. Ys Seven is a lot more action-y than the rest, and is probably my favorite overall.

Anyway, buying this as soon as it's out.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Definitely will buy when it appears, it's a great action game and I really hope this paves the way for other Falcom series released on PC to become available on Steam as well.

Corto

If it had cross platform save between PC/Vita I would jump right in. In this case I'll buy it for the extra eye candy next sale.

Midou

Just bought on Vita, but will buy on steam as well, I just way prefer gaming on consoles and PC. Plus I need to support XSEED in the eventual hope that they release Sora no Kiseki, and it somehow gains enough support to have the sequels localized.

Bought this on Vita, also, doubt I will rebuy for Steam. So far not really enjoying it as much as Ys Seven, the presentation is great but the combat isn't as polished as Ys Seven.

Haven't been following the other thread, but will this have real 16:9 and proper gamepad-support? Would make me rebuy the game, even if I already have it on PSP.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Subscribed. As if I needed a good reason to play through Oath in Felghana again.

So I guess they're holding off on proper widescreen support so it's all fixed at once? I know Sara said she had it working for the world + characters, but everything else was still stretched.

matmanx1

Ooh thanks for the reminder! Forgot this was hitting today. I bet this is going to be blissful with a 360 controller and in a proper PC resolution.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Whoa man, whoa. You put OT in parenthesis?

FOR SHAME!

Danny Dudekisser

Man, I am just too fucking pumped for this. I played this game for the first time back in November, and when I did, I tried playing it on the TV with the PSP's video out. Except the video output looks like shit, and I ended up just playing it on the PSP like a ho.

This will be revenge!

I also just wanted this thread to be back at the top so that people know this game is coming out today. It should be your number one priority, people!

xxczx

I won't be buying Oath in Felghana PC since all I have is a netbook so I'm going to be getting it on Vita instead.

I'll get Origins though, hopefully since it's an old game it'll work

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I won't be buying Oath in Felghana PC since all I have is a netbook so I'm going to be getting it on Vita instead.

I'll get Origins though, hopefully since it's an old game it'll work
Oath came out before Origin and runs on the same engine.

creid

I've said this before, but even though I didn't like the Ys games I've played in the past I'm excited for this anyway just because Falcom on PC is exciting to me. Forget day one, I might try to literally get this on minute one.

Sara

Incidentally, even some netbooks will run these games, at least on lower settings. The requirements are pretty low overall, even for the games' age.

Foffy

Banned
What's missing in the PC version? I know VA is, but what of the gauge that charges? Doesn't the PSP version have a second bar that fills?

Danny Dudekisser

What's missing in the PC version? I know VA is, but what of the gauge that charges? Doesn't the PSP version have a second bar that fills?

Yeah, I think you can only boost once instead of twice, like you could in the PSP version.

But the graphics are so much better...!

They should just rename Ys Origin something like Ys 0 (zero), because so many people are getting confused that it's a remake of the first two Ys games.

Sara

PSP: Voice acting, gallery, in-game 'novel' prologue/journal, game replay bonuses, alternate soundtracks, Double Boost, some VERY minor tweaks to a couple NPCs, who can give you extra random items (Raval etc), you can reduce boss difficulty if you're dying a lot to them

Steam: Better resolution/texture quality/etc, feels a bit better balanced since the game wasn't made for Double Boost, Steamworks features (Steam Cloud, Steam Achievements, Steam Leaderboards)

Did I miss anything? That's probably the important stuff though.

Volodja

12 euros is definitely a good enough price for me to bite right away.
Hopefully I managed to install my sixaxis the right way.

Sara

Double Boost?

For those wondering, on PSP, you eventually gain the ability to charge up two levels of Boost, which is basically a powered-up mode that you build up energy for over time, and the second level is more powerful and helps you regain your HP, so it just kinda... it makes the game a lot easier sometimes. The game wasn't really balanced with it in mind originally after all. But it's not here. Just single level Boost here.

2San

Couldn't get into Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. At this price point why not take another stab at the series. Maybe this will raise interest for XSEED to release more stuff on steam, so it can't hurt. XSEED if you are reading this. I want TITS on steam!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Couldn't get into Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. At this price point why not take another stab at the series. Maybe this will raise interest for XSEED to release more stuff on steam, so it can't hurt. XSEED if you are reading this. I want TITS on steam!

Simple, you played the wrong version. On PC, it is PERFECT.

I'm also semi debating on giving away a copy but I will have to return home to get on my PC first. I will figure out a question. Maybe someone with vast series knowledge like Aeana can give me a 5 question quiz or something and I can go from there and make it a contest. I hope she'd be up for it.

Simple, you played the wrong version. On PC, it is PERFECT.

I'm also semi debating on giving away a copy but I will have to return home to get on my PC first. I will figure out a question. Maybe someone with vast series knowledge like Aeana can give me a 5 question quiz or something and I can go from there. I hope she'd be up for it.

I played the PSP version of VI, and I was still really enjoying it. I can't imagine how much I'd love it on PC.

So why couldn't they add back in the PSP additions? I'm genuinely curious having never played it before. Outside of voice-acting where those additions worthwhile anyway?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
But is it pronounced Weiss or Ees?? because I say Ees.

You're right, it's "ees."

So why couldn't they add back in the PSP additions? I'm genuinely curious having never played it before. Outside of voice-acting where those additions worthwhile anyway?

See post 37. Honestly, none of the things missing from the PSP version are very important. It's primarily just a bunch of bonuses/extras. I don't think the voice acting, double boost, or reduced difficulty options are really big losses.

Backporting the new content would have been more effort than it's worth, especially since Falcom isn't even involved (Sara is the one doing the localization programming for the game).

Top Bottom