• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Stitch

Gold Member
I don't think the voice acting, double boost, or reduced difficulty options are really big losses.

Hmm actually I would like to have reduced difficulty options. Don't really like difficult games. My backlog is huge and I don't have the time or patience to die over and over again in a game.

Eusis

Lol, we'll see about that, but I kinda blame myself for not getting into it back then. I was going through my "need story driven games" phase.
Meanwhile I played it when Xenosaga II cured me of that notion! And it's just what I needed afterwards, a fast, fun as hell action RPG.

Sara

Hmm actually I would like to have reduced difficulty options. Don't really like difficult games. My backlog is huge and I don't have the time or patience to die over and over again in a game.

The Steam version has Easy and Very Easy difficulties available out of the box. How it works on PSP is more that if you're losing a lot to a boss, you can choose to drop to a lower difficulty temporarily so that you can beat the boss.

Volcynika

Couldn't get into Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. At this price point why not take another stab at the series. Maybe this will raise interest for XSEED to release more stuff on steam, so it can't hurt. XSEED if you are reading this. I want TITS on steam!

Since the Trails in the Sky games are on PC already (I'm fairly sure), we just need to show them and Falcom that there is a market to be had! Give them all the monies!

Also, Felghana isn't that hard. The last boss is a nightmare on nightmare (aptly named). But normal is not that bad.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Just play it on normal or easy, then.

But one of the nice things about Ys is how quickly it moves. If you die, you don't really get pissed off like you would in games that take for-fuckin'-ever to get anywhere.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Since the Trails in the Sky games are on PC already (I'm fairly sure), we just need to show them and Falcom that there is a market to be had! Give them all the monies!

Honestly, the fact that Ys games are coming to Steam now has me reluctant to start TitS on PSP, just because I know it'll be a much more enjoyable experience on PC.

Eusis

I wonder if half the problem there is the fact that, for the most part, Japanese developers don't take PC seriously unless they're indie ones or very big companies (and even then it's usually second fiddle to consoles/handhelds). Having a lot of bigger games, like at least Falcom "big" would probably be easier to sell to Valve than just indie efforts, nevermind how some of the scene there is stubbornly anti-digital, aren't Touhou games only officially sold via physical discs?

Varion

So why couldn't they add back in the PSP additions? I'm genuinely curious having never played it before. Outside of voice-acting where those additions worthwhile anyway?
Because it'd be a fair amount of work for little reward? Honestly, I don't think any of them would be worth it anyway. In particular I'd rather play a version of Felghana that didn't have double boost at all, because it makes the game too easy, but if it's there you're tempted to use it.

Looking forward to paying up for this, doubt I'll actually play it (I'll probably uninstall Steam straight afterwards actually - do you have to install the client to buy games?) but I do want to support XSEED getting the PC versions of Falcom's games out.

Aeana

Because it'd be a fair amount of work for little reward? Honestly, I don't think any of them would be worth it anyway. In particular I'd rather play a version of Felghana that didn't have double boost at all, because it makes the game too easy, but if it's there you're tempted to use it.

Looking forward to paying up for this, doubt I'll actually play it (I'll probably uninstall Steam straight afterwards actually - do you have to install the client to buy games?) but I do want to support XSEED getting the PC versions of Falcom's games out.

You can buy games on the website.

Volcynika

You can buy via the website: http://store.steampowered.com/

EDIT: Damn you, Aeana!

Honestly, the fact that Ys games are coming to Steam now has me reluctant to start TitS on PSP, just because I know it'll be a much more enjoyable experience on PC.

We just have to convince everyone everywhere to buy, buy, buy! They did say these two games were the start of the publishing of games on Steam, so hey. It could happen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, if I'm correct, the chronology is:
Ys (0) Origin
Ys I & II -> Remade a number of times, including as Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun -> There's another game called Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, but that's made by a different dev and not canon?
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys -> remade as Ys III: Oath in Felghana
Ys V: Kefin, The Lost City of Sand
Ys (VI): The Ark of Naphistim
Ys VII

*boggles*

Sara

I don't believe you need to, no. The client is pretty unintrusive and doesn't do anything when it's not running though, although it uses a lot more resources than it used to.

Edit: Yup, double-beaten to the punch.

Eusis

I think you have it right. Mask and Dawn are interchangeable, but I think the current stance is that Dawn isn't canon, and both will be overwritten by Celceta anyway. And Ark of Napishtim IS officially marked as VI, just not when released by Konami.

Aeana

So, if I'm correct, the chronology is:
Ys (0) Origin
Ys I & II -> Remade a number of times, including as Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun -> There's another game called Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, but that's made by a different dev and not canon?
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys -> remade as Ys III: Oath in Felghana
Ys V: Kefin, The Lost City of Sand
Ys (VI): The Ark of Naphistim
Ys VII

*boggles*

Yes, although I must note that Falcom has never made a version of Ys 4 itself.

2San

Meanwhile I played it when Xenosaga II cured me of that notion! And it's just what I needed afterwards, a fast, fun as hell action RPG.
I think Xenosage 2 burned most people, especially if you played the first right before it. I am in the mood for an action RPG though. :D

Yeah, I knew about the PC version. Wish there were more JRPG's released in the west on the PC, actually even on consoles or even on handhelds not much is getting localized these days. I really hope this does well.

Stitch

Gold Member
The Steam version has Easy and Very Easy difficulties available out of the box. How it works on PSP is more that if you're losing a lot to a boss, you can choose to drop to a lower difficulty temporarily so that you can beat the boss.

Felghana is not that hard on the regular setting. Pretty well balanced game.

Just play it on normal or easy, then.

But one of the nice things about Ys is how quickly it moves. If you die, you don't really get pissed off like you would in games that take for-fuckin'-ever to get anywhere.

Baaww you guys just want my precious money. Alright you can have it :3 :D

I hope we get more japanese games on Steam. Do it Gabe!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It started on PC. There are multiple editions on PC, and I think Tom was saying on Siliconera that the last release added the extras from the PSP version in. Hopefully they're able to bring them to Steam and the reaction to such text heavy games is positive because it seems to be the only way to possibly see all 3 released in English, unless Falcom decides to port them to Vita or another platform XSEED can release them on.

Eusis

It started on PC. There are multiple editions on PC, and I think Tom was saying on Siliconera that the last release added the extras from the PSP version in. Hopefully they're able to bring them to Steam and the reaction to such text heavy games is positive because it seems to be the only way to possibly see all 3 released in English, unless Falcom decides to port them to Vita or another platform XSEED can release them on.
And honestly their chances of getting them on Steam are probably better than on Vita anyway. Valve sounds like it may have issues with approving some games, but they're definitely more on the laissez-faire end of the spectrum compared to SCEA.

I think Xenosage 2 burned most people, especially if you played the first right before it. I am in the mood for an action RPG though. :D
It was definitely a wake up call on how much I should value story in a game. Funny how gameplay-wise Monolith Soft only got better afterwards though.

Nosgoroth

I don't know why, but I had always assumed the Ys series were turn based JRPGs. I'm glad I was wrong, this looks so goddamned fun. Would you mind if I asked one or two questions?

1) This reminds me of the dungeoning in Recettear, which I enjoyed, but with platforming and much more fast paced. Am I correct?
2) Is this up already? Why isn't this up already?
3) Is Oath in Felghana a good place to start with the series? It must be a really bad place to start for me to not jump right in as soon as it's up.

Eusis

I don't know why, but I had always assumed the Ys series were turn based JRPGs. I'm glad I was wrong, this looks so goddamned fun. Would you mind if I asked one or two questions?

1) This reminds me of the dungeoning in Recettear, which I enjoyed, but with platforming and much more fast paced. Am I correct?
3) Is Oath in Felghana a good place to start with the series? It must be a really bad place to start for me to not jump right in as soon as it's up.

1. It's sort of similar, but Oath is WAY better gameplay-wise, and the dungeons in Recettear were randomly generated and sort of Roguelike as a result.
2. 45 minutes and because Steam almost always updates at a reliable time.
3. Sure, it's one of the harder entries but there's difficulty settings and handicaps to address that. The only game I'd say would be a bad entry point based on story is Ys II, and good luck getting that in English without Ys I.

linkboy

Felghana is a great game to start the series on. The games don't form a story arch, but there are small connections between them.

You're going to love it, one of my all time favorite games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure there is a bad place to jump into the series. Not many better places to start than Oath though.

3. Sure, it's one of the harder entries but there's difficulty settings and handicaps to address that. The only game I'd say would be a bad entry point based on story is Ys II, and good luck getting that in English without Ys I.
Yeah, that's a good point. And I guess Wanderers wouldn't be a great starting point either since it's nothing like the rest of the series, and a lot of people seem to dislike it.

So this game supports widescreen resolutions... but not really?

i remember there being some widescreen hack in the past, wonder if that would work here.

Sara

So this game supports widescreen resolutions... but not really?

i remember there being some widescreen hack in the past, wonder if that would work here.

The widescreen patch that exists may or may not work, but the result would be very similar to the widescreen option XSEED is hoping to add in a future official patch anyway. If it doesn't work, I'm sure it'll get updated.

Edit: vvvvv That was my hope, but it's not going to be in at launch.

Eusis

Yeah, that's a good point. And I guess Wanderers wouldn't be a great starting point either since it's nothing like the rest of the series, and a lot of people seem to dislike it.
Wanderers is probably bad... today. I don't doubt quite a few of us cut our teeth on that first though and had the series stick in our heads as a result, and if it were a bit better designed I'd still recommend it on the basis of being a platformer RPG. Kinda wish we had more like that, the best alternative from that period was probably Popful Mail on Sega CD.

Eusis

It'll absolutely work, but be aware that it's standard gamepad support, not native XInput. You'll need to set up the buttons and such in the config first.
It also won't read the triggers, but it's not as if Oath was sorely missing those, and if you REALLY want to use them there's methods. I may just figure out how to get my PS3 controller working instead though.

Netto-kun

I did a New Game+ Very Easy/Easy run (PSP version) last weekend just to unlock more pictures in the gallery. Ready to jump into Hard mode when the game is up on Steam.

I think the last time I was this hyped for a game was Catherine. The feeling that it's almost here but not really... the closer you get, the more it hurts because it's so close. I'm just sitting here, wasting time away in anticipation.

Top Bottom