• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

I just got an email from Vinyl Me Please. It looks like they are making more copies of Demon Days. If you signed up on their waiting list it looks like they are sending more emails soon to be able to sign up for it.

Yeah, so has anyone got an update on this? I got that email too, but haven't actually heard of anyone being able to order since?

I'm looking to buy a turnable, hesitating between Fluance or Audio-Technica AT-LP120. There's a good price difference. The later has USB direct drive but I don't care about that, I just want to play some vinyls that's all. Other than that it's not clear what is the difference I should expect.

Any advice is welcomed.

You're probably better off getting a Technics on the cheap.

Scored my SL-D303 on Craigslist for $99 about five years ago. Haven't had any problems with it.

Shaneus

Yeah I'll echo the Technics rec. My SL-D2 has been nothing but reliable over the past couple years.
Same. My SL-23 needs a bit of a going over (one of the speed pots needs a clean and the belt is a little squeaky) but it's solid as all hell and has basically never had a service.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
edit: From what I see on ebay the used ones are still pretty expensive, considering they're used. The black one is almost the same price as those SL on ebay. The difference with the Walnut one is the cartridge which is dual magnet on the walnut one.

Jarrod38

SuGfgU8.jpg
Got my TT in today along with my albums and speakers.

Hey guys, I accidentally just bought the Vinyl Me Please album of the month and I seriously can't afford it. If anyone wants I'm willing to send the vinyl to you, shipped, for $25 in paypal cred. It's Fiona Apple's Tidal.

Appreciate it. Hope it can find a good home...

Hey guys, I accidentally just bought the Vinyl Me Please album of the month and I seriously can't afford it. If anyone wants I'm willing to send the vinyl to you, shipped, for $25 in paypal cred. It's Fiona Apple's Tidal.

Forgot to cancel after Demon Days huh? :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How can I figure out which amplifier to buy?

- Noob

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
How can I figure out which amplifier to buy?

- Noob

what's your price range? what kinda setup are you running? what are you thinking about five years from now (something to last that long or something you can flip and upgrade quickly?) do you want to be able to have control over treble/bass/balance?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The price on the Klipsch R-15PMs has dropped quite a bit in the last couple of months (from $500 to $350 pretty much across the board). They're really awesome – built-in pre-amp, optical in, subwoofer out, bluetooth, etc. I definitely recommend them.

If you're willing to ship to Europe (I'll pay for the extra cost), I'll be thrilled to have it!

The price on the Klipsch R-15PMs has dropped quite a bit in the last couple of months (from $500 to $350 pretty much across the board). They're really awesome – built-in pre-amp, optical in, subwoofer out, bluetooth, etc. I definitely recommend them.

I do own some Klipsch, too.
Amazing speakers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
what's your price range? what kinda setup are you running? what are you thinking about five years from now (something to last that long or something you can flip and upgrade quickly?) do you want to be able to have control over treble/bass/balance?

I'm planning to get this turntable. Something that would last. I just need an amplifier. I have no idea how any of this works.

wenis

I'm planning to get this turntable. Something that would last. I just need an amplifier. I have no idea how any of this works.
If you don't mind dropping the money the Vincent PHO-8 is probably the best budget/starter amp on the market and retains its value incredibly well

I could easily see this lasting you years and if you wanted to trade up could still get $250 back on it for the upgrade. Pair it with some blue jeans speaker wire and you'd be set.

overcast

Really excited to get Tidal in. Vinyl Me Please has killed it for me these first two months.

Likely gonna cancel it next month. Wondering if I should take advantage by buying a VMP exclusive. Any notables?

Really excited to get Tidal in. Vinyl Me Please has killed it for me these first two months.

Likely gonna cancel it next month. Wondering if I should take advantage by buying a VMP exclusive. Any notables?

Well if you've got the chance to get another(?) copy of Demon Days, I'd love to buy it off you and pay postage (of course) :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If you don't mind dropping the money the Vincent PHO-8 is probably the best budget/starter amp on the market and retains its value incredibly well

I could easily see this lasting you years and if you wanted to trade up could still get $250 back on it for the upgrade. Pair it with some blue jeans speaker wire and you'd be set.

So I'm still trying to grasp what an amplifier does exactly. The turntable I mentioned has a built in pre-amp, but I still need an amplifier to better control the sound?

Shaneus

So I'm still trying to grasp what an amplifier does exactly. The turntable I mentioned has a built in pre-amp, but I still need an amplifier to better control the sound?
The pre-amp gets the volume to a level the amplifier can handle. The amplifier then lets you do whatever to the line-level audio before it gets to your speakers (like EQ, reverb effects or whatever takes your fancy, if you like to tinker).

For example, because my amplifier/receiver doesn't have much in the way of EQ, I have my setup like this:
Turntable -> pre-amp -> standalone EQ -> receiver/amplifier -> speakers

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The pre-amp gets the volume to a level the amplifier can handle. The amplifier then lets you do whatever to the line-level audio before it gets to your speakers (like EQ, reverb effects or whatever takes your fancy, if you like to tinker).

For example, because my amplifier/receiver doesn't have much in the way of EQ, I have my setup like this:
Turntable -> pre-amp -> standalone EQ -> receiver/amplifier -> speakers

So presumably I can start with the turntable (which has a preamp built in), and just connect it to the speakers and if I feel I want better control I could add an amplifier later?

Dan-o

So presumably I can start with the turntable (which has a preamp built in), and just connect it to the speakers and if I feel I want better control I could add an amplifier later?
Powered speakers, yes, you could do that. Powered speakers will plug directly into a power outlet.
If the speakers don't power themselves, you'll still need an amplifier between the turntable (with pre-amp) and the speakers.
For example, my setup is:
-Uturn turntable with built-in pre-amp
plugged into
-Monoprice hybrid amp
outputting to
-2x KEF iQ7 speakers

Shaneus

Powered speakers, yes, you could do that. Powered speakers will plug directly into a power outlet.
If the speakers don't power themselves, you'll still need an amplifier between the turntable (with pre-amp) and the speakers.
For example, my setup is:
-Uturn turntable with built-in pre-amp
plugged into
-Monoprice hybrid amp
outputting to
-2x KEF iQ7 speakers
Correct. But if they're powered speakers, they may have individual volume controls and power supplies/switches. So one might have to turn both on and adjust the volume levels individually, which can be especially tricky when the volume is on the back of the speaker.

Dan-o

Correct. But if they're powered speakers, they may have individual volume controls and power supplies/switches. So one might have to turn both on and adjust the volume levels individually, which can be especially tricky when the volume is on the back of the speaker.

I never thought about that, but damn... that would be annoying.

Anyway, the Monoprice amp I have is pretty good for an entry-level amp. It has tubes on it, which some people might find ugly, but I like the way it looks. :) The Bluetooth option is wonky, and I personally avoid using it, but otherwise, it's not bad... especially for someone starting out. It takes a few seconds to warm up, as does any tube amp, but that's part of the experience.

Here it is, for anyone interested:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13194

Greyvvolf

Yeah, so has anyone got an update on this? I got that email too, but haven't actually heard of anyone being able to order since?

I've not heard anything as well. Last time they added more people to sign up was around a week after they added that option. I only found that out by checking their Instagram and didn't see anything on Twitter. They really need to communicate this better.

I've not heard anything as well. Last time they added more people to sign up was around a week after they added that option. I only found that out by checking their Instagram and didn't see anything on Twitter. They really need to communicate this better.

It's really frustrating not knowing whether I'll be able to get it or not, I've already waited years.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Really looking forward to have this in place, but I need to make some space first. Thanks all for the info!

Shaneus

I never thought about that, but damn... that would be annoying.
I know because I'm talking from experience :) Have two Yamaha HS5 studio monitors, and just had to have them hooked up to a separate mixer to control volume, it was that annoying.

Worth it for the insane clarity though!

Just imagine the people that actually paid market value for the album before this announcement.

Okay, I just got a 'spot' for VMP so I now have the privilege to join their 3 month subscription but here's the thing. I only want Demon Days. I have literally no interest in anything in their archive or likely anything else they will ever press. Do I just suck it up and pay for 2/3 bullshit that I'll never listen to just to get that sweet DD 2xLP, or pay a scalper at some point later when I'm desperate?

It shit's me that they're exploring their Demon Days pressing by offering a minimum of 3 months sub instead of 1 month ones. Feels real scummy.

wenis

Okay, I just got a 'spot' for VMP so I now have the privilege to join their 3 month subscription but here's the thing. I only want Demon Days. I have literally no interest in anything in their archive or likely anything else they will ever press. Do I just suck it up and pay for 2/3 bullshit that I'll never listen to just to get that sweet DD 2xLP, or pay a scalper at some point later when I'm desperate?

It shit's me that they're exploring their Demon Days pressing by offering a minimum of 3 months sub instead of 1 month ones. Feels real scummy.
They only have enough to supplant three month subscribers. If they opened it back up to single months every scalper out there would go ahead and scoop them up. Then you'd really pay out the nose.

Demon days is open season for scalpers. The service is worth it and the ability to buy stuff they have in overstock is worth it.

Vinyl is not a cheap hobby but this service allows people to get in on the ground level and enjoy something for the small cost of what they spend on drinks for a night.

wenis

I screwed up and bought two extra Blue Jeans LC-1 cables from Amazon. Now I'm debating a return (that'll cost me 15 bucks in the money i'd get back) or keeping them for when I expand my equipment to a CD Player and maybe a tape deck. decisions decisions.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I screwed up and bought two extra Blue Jeans LC-1 cables from Amazon. Now I'm debating a return (that'll cost me 15 bucks in the money i'd get back) or keeping them for when I expand my equipment to a CD Player and maybe a tape deck. decisions decisions.

Why will it cost $15 to return? "Restocking" fee nonsense?

Keep it and expand later.

They only have enough to supplant three month subscribers. If they opened it back up to single months every scalper out there would go ahead and scoop them up. Then you'd really pay out the nose.

Demon days is open season for scalpers. The service is worth it and the ability to buy stuff they have in overstock is worth it.

Vinyl is not a cheap hobby but this service allows people to get in on the ground level and enjoy something for the small cost of what they spend on drinks for a night.

I guess so, just feels like I will probably end up paying less just for DD via scalper once I factor in 3x records and 3x shipping costs.

Also I assume I can't 'skip' a month and just keep doing so until something actually piques my interest? I have to get one for each of the three months, presumably?

I guess so, just feels like I will probably end up paying less just for DD via scalper once I factor in 3x records and 3x shipping costs.

Also I assume I can't 'skip' a month and just keep doing so until something actually piques my interest? I have to get one for each of the three months, presumably?

Yeah that is a tough call. Album this time last year was going anywhere from 300-400 depending on factors. If you are willing to pay 60-100 for it then go to a scalper.

Edit: I am an idiot they are dirt cheap. Scalp away!

Yeah that is a tough call. Album this time last year was going anywhere from 300-400 depending on factors. If you are willing to pay 60-100 for it then go to a scalper.

Edit: I am an idiot they are dirt cheap. Scalp away!

Just an update, I ended up going with the 3 month plan, but VMP were extremely, ludicrously accommodating to my situation. Because I explained I only really wanted DD, they gave me a bit of a discount on the 3 month. Have never known a company to be so facilitating and compassionate. I think I actually might stay on after the 3 months because I'm just blown away with their customer service.

wenis

Just an update, I ended up going with the 3 month plan, but VMP were extremely, ludicrously accommodating to my situation. Because I explained I only really wanted DD, they gave me a bit of a discount on the 3 month. Have never known a company to be so facilitating and compassionate. I think I actually might stay on after the 3 months because I'm just blown away with their customer service.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom