• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Soulsborne DLC So Far?

Hypron

Artorias is the best one IMHO. Every single boss is amazing, the areas after Artorias are very good and the first area is all right I guess.

Old hunters has great bosses too but I wasn't too fond of the areas (apart from the visuals, that seaside village was eery as hell, very well done), a lot of the normal enemies weren't that fun to fight. I loved the challenge in NG++ though, that was by far the hardest content in the series.

The dark souls 2 DLCs have their ups and down. Most bosses are good to great, but some of the areas are tedious (crown of the iron king, almost all co-op areas) because either the enemies aren't that interesting or you've got too many of them.

DrD

This thread reminded me that I really need to play Bloodborne. Wish the GOTY edition was available here at retail so I don't have to buy The Old Hunters separately.

IrishNinja

I believe that Ivory King salvaged most of the stuff that was supposed to be there. At the very least the theme is identical.

ah, for real? i gotta get around to that one then, cheers!

This thread reminded me that I really need to play Bloodborne. Wish the GOTY edition was available here at retail so I don't have to buy The Old Hunters separately.

see i was thinking this too, but ive got the LE & don't wanna let it go anyway!

jb1234

I enjoyed The Old Hunters the most. Artorias is pretty good. I was disappointed by DS2's DLC, which had good level design but was unnecessarily difficult to the point of not being fun.

1-Artorias of the abyss.
2-The old hunters
ANd thats it for me
Too poor for Ds3 :l

I wonderful if people don't like DS3 DLC if we will be seeing Scholar vs. DS3 threads for awhile. I for one think that will be a pretty interesting discussion once all is said and done.

wamberz1

Crown of the Old Iron King.

The aesthetics are beautiful.
The level design is amazing.
All the secrets and surprises are really cool.
The bosses are maybe the 1st and 2nd best of all the DLC bosses.

Crown of the Sunken King is a close second.

My man, we're in the minority here tho lol.

I've found my people lol

though I would day ivory king is better than sunken

DaciaJC

Gold Member
1. Ivory King did it better, so "unlike anything in the series" is a little beyond the pale.

2. I never had the chance to notice the music because the fight is like a minute long. It's a mediocre at best boss because his health bar is so pathetic you can just stand there and tank him out. It was such an easy fight I was legit shocked that it wasn't a faux boss and the game didn't start spawning them as regular enemies later on.

1. Ah, you're right, I suppose Ivory King did pioneer the idea, but I disagree that it did it better. That moshpit was more tedious than anything. For me, the more subtle entrance of the rogue Abyss Watcher was much more impactful, in part because it was rather unexpected.

2. Pretty much like Lady Maria, then? That describes my experience fighting her for the first time nearly to a T.

JerkShep

The Old Hunters

Artorias of the Abyss as the runner up.

I'm very fond of Iron King DLC though. Brume Tower is probably my favorite area in DaS2 and Raime my favorite boss as well. Reactivating the Tower with flames and unlocking a lot of new passages was a great moment. Alonne boss fight is good as well but the area preceding it is dreadful. Coop area is bad, but that's nothing new.

Sunken King starts REALLY strong but the Sanctum was really disappointing. I'm not very fond of the boss fight as well: Elana is whatever and Sihn is too similar to Kalameet.

Ivory King has some great moments but the structure, while clever, never did much for me.

Still have no answers on what makes Artorias of the Abyss so great.

The level design is horrendous and bland. Outside of the two great and one good boss, what's so great about it?

Ratrat

The level design is horrendous and bland. Outside of the two great and one good boss, what's so great about it?
I kind of agree with you. But its obvious people liked the story and npcs. Something that felt lacking in the other dlcs.

Artorias, Kalameet, and Manus are all top-tier Soulsborne bosses with Artorias being my 3rd favorite boss in the series behind Lady Maria and Ornstein & Smough. Sanctuary Guardian is good as well.

The lore payoff in the DLC is very satisfying. Getting to go to Oolacile and interact with 3 knights of Gwyn after hearing so much about them in the main game was cool. Seeing Artorias' tragic end and seeing the different cutscene with Sif afterwards was heart-breaking. Marvellous Chester is also a great NPC.

Saying the level design is horrendous is a gross exaggeration. Royal Woods isn't great but Oolacile is fantastic. Lots of narrow twisting pathways and interlocking level design with a good shortcut. In my opinion it's the 3rd best area in Dark Souls 1 behind Anor Londo and Sen's Fortress.

The DLC is also dripping with atmosphere thanks in no small part to the fantastic sound design. The gentle rustling of the trees and the low rumble of the Abyss in the Royal Wood, the distant screams in Oolacile, even the hum of the elevators and the chiming of the little lamps throughout the area. I love it.

I generally move pretty fast through Dark Souls 1 since I've done something like 20 playthroughs, but when it comes to the DLC I always take my time and really enjoy the atmosphere. It's a great place to co-op and PvP as well.

That's why I like it anyway.

The Old Hunters. Some of the best payoff from defeating those bosses too.

Not even Artorias comes close.

tumblr_nyth6cUEfp1uqcakjo1_400.gif

Did someone say Old Hunters? Because its Old Hunters. Ludwig is one of the best bosses I have faced in a game and the musicis subperb

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Old Hunters has Bowblade. I really don't see anything could compete. AotA was great as well but Old Hunters was a constant masterpiece for me. On DSII I actually think it's hard to judge them now. At least for me playing the complete edition I was pretty tired by the time I got to the DLC areas and then, because there are 3 seperate ones each with its own progression, it kind of felt like starting over again and again each time which was tiring so I couldn't really give them a fair go, I'd like to get back to them sometime.

Edit: have I mentioned Bowblade?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Cumulatively, 3 Crowns from DS2 is the best as its length makes it practically a game unto itself. Exquisite level design too.

As a singular piece, Old Hunters because it does such an awesome job of amplifying the cosmic horror aspect of Bloodborne.

Artorias of the Abyss is some of the beat videogame DLC i've ever played! I was blown away by it when it came out.

Old Hunters is a pretty damn close second! The bosses in that DLC were so much fun. Maria is one of my favourite characters in that game now. So badass

Fbh

Artorias of the Abyss was great. Cool new areas and bosses. Also Artorias, I love both that fight and that character design, among my favorite ever.

But Old Hunters is just as good. Awesome new areas and some of my favorite bosses from the Soulsborne franchise. Ludwig was incredible and Lady Maria was, somehow, almost better. Oh and the music was also awesome

Either way, the sould franchise has some of the best DLC in the industry.

CHC

I would say Old Hunters. While I was playing it I got extremely mad at the fact that
Laurence
was more or less a recycled
Cleric Beast
, but even with that being the case, it was a massive expansion in terms of content and it also added an extremely meaningful new dimension to the lore, answering a lot of questions while raising a few new ones along the way.

Artorias of the Abyss was outstanding as well, I'd put it on a similar level.

AALLx

The Old Hunters just for being the awesome package that it is, followed by Artorias of the Abyss for being the culmination of everything in Dark Souls 1.

DaSII DLCs are a continuation of DaSII: random shotgun plot that has vaguely any connection to everything else, random mechanics that are thematically disjointed to each other just like how disjointed the base game is. It's a random, whatever-goes, disjointed DLC for a random, whatever-goes, disjointed game.

Belakor

Banned
Well,the Old hunters might be possibly the best standalone DLC,but the Lost Crown trilogy as a whole is the pinnacle of Dark Soul DLCs and most likely will never be topped

Well Old Hunters is basically two dlcs merged into one, it have the best boss in the entire game so bar , amazing OST , weird lore and amazing art direction.

The best Souls DLC would be Old Hunters and Artorias of the abyss

GonzoCR

As a whole, the Crows Trilogy is easily the best. Such an improvement over the base game, easily the best Dark Souls content.

However, as a stand-alone package, Old Hunters is by far the best, Ludwig and Orphan are all-time greats, and I really liked Hunter's Nightmare and Fishing Hamlet (I didn't like Research Hall very much, not because I got lost or anything but because it was full of really annoying enemies in large quantities, which kinda ruins it).

Artorias of the Abyss didn't do much for me, while the bosses are better than anything in the base game, the levels are pretty boring and it mostly just doubled down on what I didn't like about the base game, which is already my least favorite of the Souls games I've played.

ethomaz

Banned
I did not read the thread but I can say the best is the same for everybody here...

The Old Hunter.

It is just way ahead any other DLC quality wise from From Software that is even unfair to compare with others DLC.

The Old Hunter has better bosses than the main game and that not something to down the main game... the opposite it is because The Old Hunter is that fucking amazing DLC over an already amazing game.

ethomaz

Banned
So apparently in this thread old hunters is more of the same when half of artorias is a copy paste job from the same game, a quarter demons ruins, and a quarter nito's area.

I mean, okay...

There's nothing to artorias that we didn't see in the main game. If it didn't contain the best three bosses in ds1 no one would really care about it.
Nobody said amything of what you complain the thread... maybe one person.

Still The Old Hunter is sometimes better than original.

That is how good the DLC is.

You have to understand that it was good at the time, it answered big lore questions and connected the entire story, it had the series best bosses.
Alot of bosses that followed have been artorias clones, just like now we are seeing maria clones.

The crowns trilogy was good for its time too, theres nothing really great about any of it, it was just great in comparision to dark souls 2.
AoA doesnt stand out much at all in times, all the ideas have been explored before, and ds3 was already known for being polished but lacking imagination.

Top Bottom