• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

ApharmdX

Banned
It's IPS not VA.
It's very good (like the Acer XB271HU, PG279Q etc)...if you have some luck and end up with one without issues (no/relatively low backlight bleeding/clouding/ips glow, good uniformity, no dust, etc)
QC on those monitors is pretty bad

I saw "AHVA" and thought it was a VA variety, but you're right, it's IPS.

There really are no VA GSYNC monitors that are higher than 1080p rez? The only one I can find is the HP Omen X35. Which would be awesome but that price is pushing it and it's ultrawide. I might give that a try.

Durante

There are 3 VA monitors with G-sync with 1440 vertical pixels.

All of them use the same 3440x1440 panel. (The Omen is one of them, the others are the AOC Agon AG352UCG and the Acer Predator Z35P)

The only notable difference among these -- other than price, the Agon is significantly cheaper -- is that one of them, the Z35P, supports 120 Hz rather than just 100.

beastlove

Moved to PC gaming last year and got a £150 ViewSonic monitor until I could afford something better. I have a OLED for my console and would now like something decent for the PC. The Viewsonic is washed out when compared to the OLED or my Dell XPS13 laptop.

Can anyone recommend a 4K 27" g-sync monitor with good colour depth? If possible something that would rival the OLED for picture quality.

I am in real no rush if you know of something else coming out in the next few months.

thanks

jorimt

Can anyone recommend a 4K 27" g-sync monitor with good colour depth? If possible something that would rival the OLED for picture quality.

The upcoming ASUS PG27UQ or Acer X27. They have the same panel. The Acer is delayed until next year. There are conflicting reports on the ASUS, but supposedly it's still on track for release at the end of the year.

Pretty crazy specs:
-144Hz 4k IPS panel
-True HDR support with 1000 nits brightness output
-Local dimming backlight with 384 individual zones
-99% coverage of the Adobe RGB color space

Not sure if they'll reach the blacks of your OLED (technically nothing does), but those models are the closest you're going to get.

beastlove

The upcoming ASUS PG27UQ or Acer X27. They have the same panel. The Acer is delayed until next year. There are conflicting reports on the ASUS, but supposedly it's still on track for release at the end of the year.

Pretty crazy specs:
-144Hz 4k IPS panel

Not sure if they'll reach the blacks of your OLED (technically nothing does), but those models are the closest you're going to get.

Thanks for that. Is it worth paying more for 4k or just going with 2K? £800 would probably be the most I would be willing to pay.

jorimt

Probably out of your price range then. They haven't announced a price for those models yet, but they'll likely easily exceed $1200 USD with those specs.

As for 2k G-SYNC monitors, you're best bet for balance of picture quality/performance would be the ViewSonic XG2703-GS or Acer XB271HU (I own the latter myself), but they're also pricey. If you calibrate them for something around 120 nits and use some bias lighting, black levels/contrast ratio will be acceptable, but they aren't going to compare to your OLED in that respect (nor will any current G-SYNC panel).

Zeneric

You guys are right. Gsync is indeed godly. No more stutters I had with some games (American Truck Simulator, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, etc - the unoptimized games). And you don't notice (you still do but not as bad as without Gsync) when FPS drops down to 40 FPS. I tested a game that was capped at 30 FPS - it's more smoother with Gsync enabled. Worth the money.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
(ASUS pg248q) So annoying watching something with dark scenes or black colours, they appear pixelated and/or grainy

Lashley

I have that same monitor and it looks fine on my end. Calibrate more? Probably a defect?

edit:

I used this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/5xv930/asus_pg248q_calibrationsettings/

I went for 40% brightness on nvidia color settings instead of 25% tho. Maybe it'll help.

I'll try, I disabled color settings to try and fix this but no dice

EDIT: ooo this looks much nicer, I'll watch something later and see if the pixelated and grainy dark colours have gone

IMACOMPUTA

I just got the dell S2716DG.

Any tips on setting this up? I downloaded RTSS and set max fps to 141, but I don't think it's working (I only tried it in CSGO and the overlay never shows up).

Turned V-Sync and G-Sync on in Nvidia Control Panel.

I'm noticing that my image sharpens when I turn in CSGO. Is this normal? Sorry, this is my first >60hz monitor.
[EDIT: I guess this was the "fast" mode. It's complete garbage.]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Lashley

I have that same monitor and it looks fine on my end. Calibrate more? Probably a defect?

edit:

I used this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/5xv930/asus_pg248q_calibrationsettings/

I went for 40% brightness on nvidia color settings instead of 25% tho. Maybe it'll help.
Been using this a few days but the colours are so dark when watching something so I have to disable it

Watching defenders and everything is black and dark blue (hyperbole but its really dark)

There are 3 VA monitors with G-sync with 1440 vertical pixels.

All of them use the same 3440x1440 panel. (The Omen is one of them, the others are the AOC Agon AG352UCG and the Acer Predator Z35P)

The only notable difference among these -- other than price, the Agon is significantly cheaper -- is that one of them, the Z35P, supports 120 Hz rather than just 100.

What ended up happening with that HP Omen? It looked really good but I can barely find any reviews for it.

In your experience do any of these VA panels have good motion handling? When I think VA I think slow-ish response time and smeary motion, but I also haven't looked at one in a while.

Loving my 1070 + Dell 1440p GSync combo. I'm deciding between one of the upcoming FALD HDR GSync monitors for my next major upgrade to go along with a new GPU in the next few years. Haven't decided between the 21:9 Ultrawides vs the 4K panels but my understanding is they all will use VA panels?

Arcteryx

I just got the dell S2716DG.

Any tips on setting this up? I downloaded RTSS and set max fps to 141, but I don't think it's working (I only tried it in CSGO and the overlay never shows up).

Turned V-Sync and G-Sync on in Nvidia Control Panel.

I'm noticing that my image sharpens when I turn in CSGO. Is this normal? Sorry, this is my first >60hz monitor.
[EDIT: I guess this was the "fast" mode. It's complete garbage.]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Click the button that says "show own statistics" in RTSS, that will show your FPS. Did you set the FPS limit for global or for CSGO specifically? (IMO, just set the FPS limit ingame for CSGO - ingame limiter > RTSS).

Been using this a few days but the colours are so dark when watching something so I have to disable it

Watching defenders and everything is black and dark blue (hyperbole but its really dark)

Did you remove any previous monitor profiles you might have had? All NVIDIA settings right?

Lashley

Click the button that says "show own statistics" in RTSS, that will show your FPS. Did you set the FPS limit for global or for CSGO specifically? (IMO, just set the FPS limit ingame for CSGO - ingame limiter > RTSS).

Did you remove any previous monitor profiles you might have had? All NVIDIA settings right?

yeah reset monitor, and yeah all channels

CZPnujC.png

So, even with the most recent drivers (Destiny 2 beta drivers), there's still a problem with one monitor having gsync on with a game running and the other monitor with Chrome and like a video or something playing.

Path of Exile gets this weird jittering effect. I wouldn't call it stuttering. It's like... Constant screen tearing, but not screen tearing. It's insane. Finding it ridiculous that I need to turn gsync off for games to be playable, considering how much more expensive this monitor was with the gsync feature.

Edit: It seems to be capping the game at like 116fps even though my monitor's refresh rate is 144fps. Turning off gsync, or tabbing out of Chrome fixes this.

TSM

yeah reset monitor, and yeah all channels

CZPnujC.png

Why are your contrast and brightness controls not at the default 50%? You should always adjust any settings from the monitor if at all possible. Only as a last resort should you attempt to adjust the settings from the Nvidia control panel. Changing the control panel settings tends to have undesirable effects like banding and gamma issues. Having the brightness control at 25% is most likely the cause of your darkened screen. Change everything back to the defaults in the control panel and then use your monitor's controls to make any image adjustments.

To correct video media levels for proper viewing at PC levels:

select "Adjust video color settings" -> select "with Nvidia settings" -> "Advanced" tab -> select "Full (0-255)" in the drop down box -> apply settings

This will prevent video media from being washed out due to PC black being level 0 and Video black being level 16. This will properly scale the levels for viewing on PC.

So, even with the most recent drivers (Destiny 2 beta drivers), there's still a problem with one monitor having gsync on with a game running and the other monitor with Chrome and like a video or something playing.

Path of Exile gets this weird jittering effect. I wouldn't call it stuttering. It's like... Constant screen tearing, but not screen tearing. It's insane. Finding it ridiculous that I need to turn gsync off for games to be playable, considering how much more expensive this monitor was with the gsync feature.

Edit: It seems to be capping the game at like 116fps even though my monitor's refresh rate is 144fps. Turning off gsync, or tabbing out of Chrome fixes this.

Unfortunately g-sync is known to have issues when running multiple monitors at different refresh rates. Running the monitor in exclusive full screen will probably help, but that's probably not what you want to hear.

Unfortunately g-sync is known to have issues when running multiple monitors at different refresh rates. Running the monitor in exclusive full screen will probably help, but that's probably not what you want to hear.
That'd be odd if that's the issue, considering both my monitors are 144hz. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Has anyone else noticed that using in-game FPS limiters leads to jumpy frametimes? I'm aware of the slightly increased input lag when using RTSS but not if it leads to an overall smoother experience.

Here's a comparison using the in-game limiter in Overwatch and then the RTSS limiter, both set at 141 FPS. Just standing still in the practice range with nothing going on.

In-game limiter
https://zippy.gfycat.com/FriendlyWeightyHammerheadshark.webm

RTSS limiter
https://zippy.gfycat.com/LightheartedGoodCoyote.webm

jorimt

@Cannon Goose, two reasons for that:

1. RTSS can't read it's own frametime when the framerate is above/limited by the limiter. If you have a G-SYNC monitor and a built-in refresh rate meter, RTSS will also show slight framerate fluctuation (usually 1-2 frames).
2. RTSS sets a frametime target, while most in-game limiters set a framerate target. This is the reason why RTSS has steadier frametimes over in-game limiters, and the main reason in-game limiters have lower input lag than RTSS is because they can use those fluctuating (usually lower) frametimes to render and deliver frames faster.

If you have G-SYNC, unless the in-game limiter and/or engine are downright horrible and impose some sort of their own frame pacing, frametime fluctuations are smoothed out by G-SYNC's frametime compensation mechanism (the G-SYNC + V-SYNC ON combo that prevents tearing at all times).

I did some high speed camera input latency tests specifically for Overwatch in our forums, and the in-game limiter had much less input latency than RTSS and performed just as smoothly with G-SYNC.

@Cannon Goose, two reasons for that:

1. RTSS can't read it's own frametime when the framerate is above/limited by the limiter. If you have a G-SYNC monitor and a built-in refresh rate meter, RTSS will also show slight framerate fluctuation (usually 1-2 frames).
2. RTSS sets a frametime target, while most in-game limiters set a framerate target. This is the reason why RTSS has steadier frametimes over in-game limiters, and the main reason in-game limiters have lower input lag than RTSS is because they can use those fluctuating (usually lower) frametimes to render and deliver frames faster.

If you have G-SYNC, unless the in-game limiter and/or engine are downright horrible and impose some sort of their own frame pacing, frametime fluctuations are smoothed out by G-SYNC's frametime compensation mechanism (the G-SYNC + V-SYNC ON combo that prevents tearing at all times).

I did some high speed camera input latency tests specifically for Overwatch in our forums, and the in-game limiter had much less input latency than RTSS and performed just as smoothly with G-SYNC.

Thank you for the explanation. I'll keep using in-game limiters and stop worrying about it unless I notice a problem :)

daninthemix

Man, all those posts saying to use a frame-rate limiter with G-sync weren't kidding - I consistent stutter with G-sync without a frame-rate limiter, but if I limit 1 or 2 fps below the refresh rate, it's butter smooth. Seriously Nvidia WTF?

Paragon

Man, all those posts saying to use a frame-rate limiter with G-sync weren't kidding - I consistent stutter with G-sync without a frame-rate limiter, but if I limit 1 or 2 fps below the refresh rate, it's butter smooth. Seriously Nvidia WTF?
It shouldn't be stuttering when the framerate hits the refresh rate, unless you have either disabled V-Sync or enabled Fast Sync.
Optimal settings are to have V-Sync enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel, and an RTSS framerate limit set 3 FPS lower than the maximum refresh rate. In-game V-Sync is optional, though some games may perform better with it enabled.
If it is a known-good framerate limiter, it's possible to slightly reduce latency even more by using the game's own framerate limiter instead of RTSS, but RTSS is universal and will give you a more consistent experience.

I purchased a Predator XB271HU 27".

So from what I understand:

Turn on gsync in Nvidia control panel.
Turn on vsync in Nvidia control panel.
Turn on vsync in the game I am playing
Set refresh rate in game to 144 hz (current monitor refresh rate)
Set up RTSS to have profiles for each game and set the frame rate to 141

Anything I am missing?

Anything I am missing?

I believe you're supposed to disable vsync during in-game. At least that's what I do, anyway. Everything else is identical to my settings.

Wallach

Anything I am missing?

Turn off the in-game vsync. Everything else is fine.

Also you will probably want to remember to turn on the setting in the control panel G-Sync tab to allow G-Sync to activate in windowed applications and not just fullscreen.

I believe you're supposed to disable vsync during in-game. At least that's what I do, anyway. Everything else is identical to my settings.

Turn off the in-game vsync. Everything else is fine.

Also you will probably want to remember to turn on the setting in the control panel G-Sync tab to allow G-Sync to activate in windowed applications and not just fullscreen.

awesome, thanks a lot!

a quick question, can I use the global settings in RTSS? Or do I need to do it per game? Just lazy, that's all lol.

daninthemix

It shouldn't be stuttering when the framerate hits the refresh rate, unless you have either disabled V-Sync or enabled Fast Sync.
Optimal settings are to have V-Sync enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel, and an RTSS framerate limit set 3 FPS lower than the maximum refresh rate. In-game V-Sync is optional, though some games may perform better with it enabled.
If it is a known-good framerate limiter, it's possible to slightly reduce latency even more by using the game's own framerate limiter instead of RTSS, but RTSS is universal and will give you a more consistent experience.

Yes, it definitely shouldn't, but every game exhibits minor stutter once I hit v-sync. A 59fps cap in NV Inspector makes things butter smooth. It's weird.

EDIT - I can actually get rid of the stutter by turning off G-sync. It's the inverse to how it's supposed to be!

G-sync OFF + V-sync ON - SMOOTH
G-sync ON + V-sync ON - STUTTER
G-sync ON + V-sync ON + Frame Rate Cap - SMOOTH

EDIT: a long discussion on the BlurBusters forum has helped me to understand.

The headline is NOT "cap frame-rate below refresh rate, otherwise input lag".

The headline is actually "cap frame-rate below refresh rate, otherwise input lag and / or stutter".

Lashley

When using my 4k tv and not my gsync monitor, what settings are best? I'm too used to GSync

Is adaptive/fast sync any good?

I have been wanting to upgrade to Gsync for a long time now, but I always thought it was not worth the money to buy a new monitor when I still had good working ones. Not sure if posting ebay links is allowed here but if you search for PG248Q there are used ones listed for $220 with free shipping. I ordered one of these last week and I'm loving it.

It really feels like my graphics card was able to run games at over 100fps but my monitor was locking it to 60, which it was. The difference is as clear as going from a 30fps console game to a 60+fps PC version of the game. Playing PUBG with 144hz/gsync makes it feel much more smooth and responsive, closer to the feeling of playing CSGO. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Unai

When using my 4k tv and not my gsync monitor, what settings are best? I'm too used to GSync

Adaptive sync means it will have v-sync on when the framerate is >= your refresh rate and v-sync off when the framerate is less than your refresh rate. There's also half adpative, that's the same thing but with half your refresh rate, so good for games that you want to play at 30 FPS instead of 60.

Fast sync only gets good if your framerate is 2 or 3 times your refresh date.

Personally, when I'm not playing with my g-sync monitor, I just disable v-sync in game and run it on borderless window mode, so it will use the v-sync with triple buffering from the OS.

Lashley

Adaptive sync means it will have v-sync on when the framerate is >= your refresh rate and v-sync off when the framerate is less than your refresh rate. There's also half adpative, that's the same thing but with half your refresh rate, so good for games that you want to play at 30 FPS instead of 60.

Fast sync only gets good if your framerate is 2 or 3 times your refresh date.

Personally, when I'm not playing with my g-sync monitor, I just disable v-sync in game and run it on borderless window mode, so it will use the v-sync with triple buffering from the OS.

Ah, good shout. Thanks for the info :)

Paragon

If latency is a concern, what Blur Busters now recommend is to leave the TestUFO refresh rate monitor open for a while (give it at least 5-10 minutes and make sure that your display does not go to sleep), enable V-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel, and then set a framerate limit in RTSS which is 0.01 FPS lower than the measured refresh rate.
To do this, you need to go into your \RTSS\Profiles\ folder and open the Global profile in a text editor.
In the [Framerate] section, add the line: LimitDenominator=100
This will divide the framerate limit by 100, so to specify a framerate limit of "59.99" FPS for a 60.000Hz display for example, you would set the limit to "5999". I'm not sure what the limit of precision is, but the most you would probably want to use is 3 digits. (denominator=1000)

DKF590

Is the Dell S2716DG still a solid choice in 2017 or is there anything else I should look at?
Currently using a 4K TV for most of my "cinematic" gaming, but I'm looking for a G-Sync 144hz monitor for desk use.

A lot of recommendations seem aimed at a higher price bracket but I'm fine with a cheaper set as it will most likely be strictly for multiplayer games.

Edit: Anything noteworthy at 1080p? Thanks to anyone with any advice. So many monitors to browse through.

Knurek

Edit: Anything noteworthy at 1080p? Thanks to anyone with any advice. So many monitors to browse through.

Acer Z271
PROTIP: Don't buy second hand, some batches have a firmware bug which requires sending the monitor to a service depot

DKF590

Acer Z271
PROTIP: Don't buy second hand, some batches have a firmware bug which requires sending the monitor to a service depot

This actually seems like exactly what I'm looking for, minus the aesthetics anyway. I much prefer VA over TN and am fine with 1080p. After looking at a bunch of reviews this is probably what I'm gonna go with. Thanks for the tip

ghibli99

Is the Dell S2716DG still a solid choice in 2017 or is there anything else I should look at?
Currently using a 4K TV for most of my "cinematic" gaming, but I'm looking for a G-Sync 144hz monitor for desk use.

A lot of recommendations seem aimed at a higher price bracket but I'm fine with a cheaper set as it will most likely be strictly for multiplayer games.

This is pretty much how I have things set up. I have a 43" Sony X800D 4K HDR TV as my main "do everything" monitor, including my PC and all consoles, and just bought the Dell S2716DG as my secondary for PC gaming. I was a little worried because TN and all, but I'm pretty shocked at the overall quality of this thing. Colors aren't quite as good as my Sony, but they're close. Only took some minor adjustments, and games like TW3, Overwatch, etc. pop beautiflly and are insanely smooth. I'm having to somewhat retrain myself to get used to the HFR and improved response, but it's pretty amazing. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this setup, especially since the Dells are relatively cheap.

Mrbob

How far away are we from 4k, HDR Gsync screens?
Q1 2018.

I'm waiting on this Asus if it's offered on Ultrawide:

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...se-republic-of-gamers-announces-swift-pg27uq/

I was looking for a 1440p screen but I think I'll have to go to go 4k to get hdr, which is what I really want in a new monitor.

Though I might just get this 27" version anyway.

Edit:. I did find an Ultrawide bit I'm afraid of what it will cost....

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...nitor-turns-hdr-and-quantum-dots-up-to-200hz/

Lashley

They were originally supposed to come out this year but they got pushed back to early next year. Asus and Acer are both making 4K HDR IPS 144Hz Gsync displays.

Q1 2018.

I'm waiting on this Asus if it's offered on Ultrawide:

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...se-republic-of-gamers-announces-swift-pg27uq/

I was looking for a 1440p screen but I think I'll have to go to go 4k to get hdr, which is what I really want in a new monitor.

Though I might just get this 27" version anyway.

Edit:. I did find an Ultrawide bit I'm afraid of what it will cost....

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...nitor-turns-hdr-and-quantum-dots-up-to-200hz/

Have they quoted prices? I'm guessing at least 2 grand?

Pretty crazy specs:
-144Hz 4k IPS panel

Native contrast ( SDR ) = 1000:1 .

Its the same shit than a classic IPS ... Full led do nothing good in a IPS panel for SDR content...

And with HDR ? You gonna have bad black but bright picture...

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Would someone be kind enough to upload two videos, one showing the stutter effect if fps is equal or higher than refresh rate and the other video showing the same game but with RTSS limiting fps a couple frames below the refresh rate to supposedly resolve this stutter issue?

I'm interested in seeing this solution in action since I never use RTSS and think I always have smooth performance but maybe I'm missing something.

Top Bottom