• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
word of warning.. YouTube on tvOS doesn't get rid of the timeline...... don't know if youtube updated recently or not, but this started when I updated to the GM

I swear google is adamant that YouTube on tvOS be utter shit at everything except playing ads...

Vuze

word of warning.. YouTube on tvOS doesn't get rid of the timeline...... don't know if youtube updated recently or not, but this started when I updated to the GM

I swear google is adamant that YouTube on tvOS be utter shit at everything except playing ads...
I've said it before but it's equal shit on Android TV. It took them over a month to get brand account support added back in after their *huge* update and now that I started using it again, they made the refreshing even more uncomfortable instead of adding an automatic pull every minute or whatever. You have to back out of subscriptions/recommended/we, enter another option from the hamburger menu, back out of that and go back to the one you want to refresh. Before it was at least sufficient to back out of the menu. Also extra steps to get to the rating and settings menu. Meanwhile still no HDR support and suppossedly no more 4K. Thanks for nothing but regress. Garbage

Enzom21

I've said it before but it's equal shit on Android TV. It took them over a month to get brand account support added back in after their *huge* update and now that I started using it again, they made the refreshing even more uncomfortable instead of adding an automatic pull every minute or whatever. You have to back out of subscriptions/recommended/we, enter another option from the hamburger menu, back out of that and go back to the one you want to refresh. Before it was at least sufficient to back out of the menu. Also extra steps to get to the rating and settings menu. Meanwhile still no HDR support and suppossedly no more 4K. Thanks for nothing but regress. Garbage

4k is back but you still can't change resolution.

Guess Who

Banned
Threw the High Sierra GM candidate on my 2016 15" MBP because fuck it, why not.

No issues so far! The move to Metal for the Window Server is a noticeable improvement - a lot of the UI animations that hitched on the 15" Pro's puny integrated GPU are dramatically smoother in High Sierra. The only bummer is that 10-bit HEVC playback doesn't get hardware acceleration. Skylake doesn't support it, but the Radeon Pro 460 does (and works great under Windows) - Apple just didn't bother making QuickTime use the Radeon's support, so it just software decodes it (which is very stuttery). 8-bit plays perfectly, though (since Skylake supports it).

Hopefully someone writes a macOS video player that can use the GPU for 10-bit HEVC, it'd be a bummer to have to switch to Boot Camp to watch 4K videos.

EDIT: Played around with it a bit more. GPU performance across the board seems better - guess Apple put some work in on their drivers? Under Sierra, I wasn't able to play Portal at 2880x1800 without dropping frames, but it ran under Windows at 60fps. Now it's running under macOS at 60fps at native res, too.

emag

11 GM is suffering from presumably memory-related crashes and choppiness on my iPad Mini 2 to the point where I just can't play some games (games that ran well on much older hardware, mind you).

I guess I'll be reverting to 10 and not upgrading until a few patches being back the snappy. Will probably hold off until at least one patch on my main device as well.

Threw the High Sierra GM candidate on my 2016 15" MBP because fuck it, why not.

No issues so far! The move to Metal for the Window Server is a noticeable improvement - a lot of the UI animations that hitched on the 15" Pro's puny integrated GPU are dramatically smoother in High Sierra. The only bummer is that 10-bit HEVC playback doesn't get hardware acceleration. Skylake doesn't support it, but the Radeon Pro 460 does (and works great under Windows) - Apple just didn't bother making QuickTime use the Radeon's support, so it just software decodes it (which is very stuttery). 8-bit plays perfectly, though (since Skylake supports it).

Hopefully someone writes a macOS video player that can use the GPU for 10-bit HEVC, it'd be a bummer to have to switch to Boot Camp to watch 4K videos.

EDIT: Played around with it a bit more. GPU performance across the board seems better - guess Apple put some work in on their drivers? Under Sierra, I wasn't able to play Portal at 2880x1800 without dropping frames, but it ran under Windows at 60fps. Now it's running under macOS at 60fps at native res, too.

Would you recommend upgrading? I've been waiting for the GM on my 2017 MBP but I don't know if maybe I should just wait for the main release since it's not that far away. I also can't remember how much of pain it is to go from the GM to the main release...is it easy?

Guess Who

Banned
Would you recommend upgrading? I've been waiting for the GM on my 2017 MBP but I don't know if maybe I should just wait for the main release since it's not that far away. I also can't remember how much of pain it is to go from the GM to the main release...is it easy?

I'd make a backup just in case, but sure, why not? I've had the GM going for a while now and it's been smooth sailing. There's not exactly a lot of huge feature changes, but as someone who's hated how the Sierra UI performs on the Intel HD 530/630 on the 15" Pro, just the Metal-driven UI alone is a very welcome upgrade. Plus, it seems to have ripple effects in GPU performance in other cases too. Logic Pro X, FCPX, Ulysses, Tweetbot, and Photoshop CC 2017 all run fine from what I've tried. I also use FileVault and the APFS upgrade went without a hitch.

As a GM candidate, this could possibly be the final build, but if not, upgrading should be as easy as downloading the final release through the Mac App Store and installing over the beta.

jimmypython

For some reason I can't connect to the "browse" section in the Podcasts app on the GM.

is it a bug?

And I absolutely hate all the changes they made to the Podcasts app. I want "mark as played" back.

God, this beta cycle absolutely wrecked the stability of my iPad Pro. Lots of bugs from prior versions are just hanging around in the GM, unresolved. I expect it's a lot of beta cruft that didn't get appropriately fixed up, so when the real release drops I'm just gonna restore this thing, fuck it.

Might do it on my phone as well, actually.

I'm never doing a summer beta season again. Next year when iOS12 beta comes out and I march into this thread like "Alright people, who's ready??" Ya'll need to shut me down.

Vuze

God, this beta cycle absolutely wrecked the stability of my iPad Pro. Lots of bugs from prior versions are just hanging around in the GM, unresolved. I expect it's a lot of beta cruft that didn't get appropriately fixed up, so when the real release drops I'm just gonna restore this thing, fuck it.

Might do it on my phone as well, actually.

I'm never doing a summer beta season again. Next year when iOS12 beta comes out and I march into this thread like "Alright people, who's ready??" Ya'll need to shut me down.
Yeah, I feel it's the same on mine. It's not bad but there are still glitches like the icon sticking "out" when I minimize and app, the app title glitching in multi tasking or stuff like the "Delete" symbol randomly vanishing on the app icon you hold to initiate the ordering state. They can't possibly have not fixed it in the GM.

Doing an iCloud backup and then restoring the iPad via iTunes with the official release followed by iCloud restore should be good eh?

I know I'll probably do it again for iOS 12 since their Workflow acquisition might play into iOS at that point.

emag

Now that the OS is 64-bit-only, I wonder what the next tech cut off is going to be?

I expect support for 1 GB devices (iPod Touch 6G, iPad Mini 2/3/4, iPad Air, iPhone 5s/6/6+) will all be dropped with iOS12. The performance difference between the A7 and A8 is pretty small, but I could see a split there.

I expect support for 1 GB devices (iPod Touch 6G, iPad Mini 2/3/4, iPad Air, iPhone 5s/6/6+) will all be dropped with iOS12. The performance difference between the A7 and A8 is pretty small, but I could see a split there.

I was thinking that, too, but it almost seems too early to kill the 6. I could see them maybe pushing the use of RAM in 12 and locking the 1GB devices out of some features, and then drop support for 13, but I'd prefer they offer those devices another year of support. Or at least security updates.

Guess Who

Banned

The mini 4 has 2GB of RAM.

I also don’t think for a moment they plan to drop iPhone 6 support that soon. That phone is still extremely widely in use. Honestly, I kind of expect them to pull an iOS 9 and not drop anything next year.

hirokazu

For previous years, the final release was a few builds higher The the GM Candidate but the difference was negligible and you had to either install the final release over the GM Candidate or just wait for the first point release.

This GM Candidate still says ‘beta’ in the installer and About This Mac, so I don’t know what they’ll choose to do this time. That said, it’s working pretty damn well for me. I don’t know, maybe you should just wait the extra week unless you want to install it to start testing on one computer before you update on all of your computers.

Shearie

Something I've been wondering for awhile but keep forgetting to ask to anybody who has used the watchOS 4 betas: Can you double click the Digital Crown button to get back to the Now Playing screen?

hirokazu

Something I've been wondering for awhile but keep forgetting to ask to anybody who has used the watchOS 4 betas: Can you double click the Digital Crown button to get back to the Now Playing screen?
I just tried double clicking it and it seems to go back to the previously open app.

hirokazu

Because it didn't in watchOS 3.
Well I've just tried it for you and it does open Now Playing. I don't use double click the crown so I don't know what difference in behaviour there might be with watchOS 3. Doesn't seem like an easy thing to input - half the time while I tried it I've either gone to the Home screen or invoked Siri instead. I think I'll stick to single-press the side button for the App Switcher.

Shearie

Well I've just tried it for you and it does open Now Playing. I don't use double click the crown so I don't know what difference in behaviour there might be with watchOS 3. Doesn't seem like an easy thing to input - half the time while I tried it I've either gone to the Home screen or invoked Siri instead. I think I'll stick to single-press the side button for the App Switcher.

Cool. This is good news for me since I use double click between 2 different apps pretty often but it not working for Now Playing was always annoying.

Deku Tree

Well if you have the latest PB then you don’t get to download the final release of iOS11. At least on 10.5 iPad Pro. Probably essentially the same. Just deleted my beta profile.

kaskade

Dev beta for 11.1 is out. Wonder if they are brining back iMessage in the cloud. That was one of the features I was most excited for.

burgerdog

I removed the beta profile from my 6S+ and the update prompts 11.1 PB. I don't have the profile tab in my phone anymore because I removed it so no idea why a beta is there instead of 11.0.1.

Vuze

Ohhhhh the new smooth back to top scrolling behavior isn’t exclusive to safari, that’s cool. Just installed 11.1 on my iPad and tweetbot uses it too. Very nice, should mean it’s available in all apps that use the proper function

//ARCANUM

I removed the beta profile from my 6S+ and the update prompts 11.1 PB. I don't have the profile tab in my phone anymore because I removed it so no idea why a beta is there instead of 11.0.1.

Did you get this figured out?

I'm having this same problem on my iPad Pro... I have 11.0, I deleted the beta profile, rebooted, and the beta 11.1 installer is still there. I re-enrolled, deleted profile, rebooted, and it's still there. I'd rather not do a hard reset of everything. Anyone got a solution?

edit - also I just did the whole process on my 7+ (removed beta profile, installed 11.0.2) and it worked perfectly...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I used to always set my GPU to use the 750M to make sure my UI felt smooth on my 2013 15" MBP. But now that it's accelerated with Metal I haven't felt that urge anymore. I don't mind keeping it on the Iris Pro most of the time.

Ashhong

Did you get this figured out?

I'm having this same problem on my iPad Pro... I have 11.0, I deleted the beta profile, rebooted, and the beta 11.1 installer is still there. I re-enrolled, deleted profile, rebooted, and it's still there. I'd rather not do a hard reset of everything. Anyone got a solution?

edit - also I just did the whole process on my 7+ (removed beta profile, installed 11.0.2) and it worked perfectly...

Did your 7+ detect the 11.1 before you removed the beta profile? You could try manually installing the 11.0.2 update to the iPad through iTunes. Or just wait until 11.1 comes out to the general public and update to that

//ARCANUM

Did your 7+ detect the 11.1 before you removed the beta profile? You could try manually installing the 11.0.2 update to the iPad through iTunes. Or just wait until 11.1 comes out to the general public and update to that

yeah my 7+ saw 11.1 before I removed the profile.

Yeah, maybe i'll just wait till 11.1 releases publicly and hopefully it will push it through. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom