• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Anyone else getting a bug in Night Shift where it doesn’t turn on and off at sunset and sunrise, despite being set to do so? It’s happening on my 7 Plus and my iPad Air 2.

Anyone else getting a bug in Night Shift where it doesn’t turn on and off at sunset and sunrise, despite being set to do so? It’s happening on my 7 Plus and my iPad Air 2.

Thanks for the callout, somehow the setting had gotten changed to 10-7 instead of sunrise to sunset, I never would have checked without this comment. Gonna check my iPad and Mac when I get home

hirokazu

So I can't send a screen shot I take to a group text, it just freezes.
Speaking of screenshots, I love that you can send them out without saving them to the Camera Roll now, but it still saves them into My Photo Stream for some reason. :/

Guess Who

Banned
How stable are the High Sierra betas these days? I'd heard earlier builds were super rough, but I'd like to test it out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How stable are the High Sierra betas these days? I'd heard earlier builds were super rough, but I'd like to test it out.
It's perfect for me. The first beta fucked up my shit real bad, but I jumped in on 3 or 4 and it's been fine since.

Finder is still a POS but that's just the Finder. It's been a POS since 10.0.

LeleSocho

Banned

Beta 1 and 2 were really rough, simple processes ate resources like crazy making the computer really hot and with fans at 100% all the time.

After that it's been really good, once a week it can send you to the computer login page for no reason whatsoever all of a sudden but it retains all the app open so it's really a minor problem.

Guess Who

Banned
It's perfect for me. The first beta fucked up my shit real bad, but I jumped in on 3 or 4 and it's been fine since.

Finder is still a POS but that's just the Finder. It's been a POS since 10.0.

Beta 1 and 2 were really rough, simple processes ate resources like crazy making the computer really hot and with fans at 100% all the time.

After that it's been really good, once a week it can send you to the computer login page for no reason whatsoever all of a sudden but it retains all the app open so it's really a minor problem.

Glad to hear! Any of you running Photoshop CC 17, Logic Pro X, or Final Cut Pro X on it? Want to make sure those aren't going to break if I install a beta.

hirokazu

Glad to hear! Any of you running Photoshop CC 17, Logic Pro X, or Final Cut Pro X on it? Want to make sure those aren't going to break if I install a beta.
At this rate, you might as well wait for the GM to release next week. Or the public release in October.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Don’t know about Photoshop CC 17. I only have CS3 and it somehow still works despite being 10 years old, survived countless OS updates, originally a PPC universal binary (stripped out the PPC and 32-bit stuff years ago), completely gimped to save space and cut cruft and still reliant on Java to even launch. I don’t know how it still works. But it does.

Vuze

Are there any ar kit demo apps available if you're on the beta?
Yeah, there are quite a few on GitHub. You'll need to compile and deploy them yourself via Xcode though. Check out this list of PoCs if you got the means https://github.com/olucurious/Awesome-ARKit

Otherwise, there'll be tons and tons of promising ARKit apps on the AppStore soon. Next week after the keynote or on the 22nd when the iPhones will ship? Dunno when they usually release the stable iOS update and green light apps that require the new APIs

kaskade

These updates have been rapid fire lately. I guess this will be the last one before the GM? Assuming there is some big bug they find between now and the 12th.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
guess i'll go install the high sierra beta on my main computer then thanks for the tip
Well don't be too hasty. lol

I mean I haven't had major problems since the day I had the first beta, which I reverted immediately back to Sierra using my backup drive. I jumped back in with beta 3 or 4 and it's been fine since.

Still, the final version is coming in a few weeks anyway so unless you really want to try it out, you might as well wait. I mean the only major things it adds are APFS, a better Safari (Which I am using the Tech Preview of which is better) and some minor tweaks. (Mission Control and animations use Metal now so they're smoother.)

Well don't be too hasty. lol

I mean I haven't had major problems since the day I had the first beta, which I reverted immediately back to Sierra using my backup drive. I jumped back in with beta 3 or 4 and it's been fine since.

Still, the final version is coming in a few weeks anyway so unless you really want to try it out, you might as well wait. I mean the only major things it adds are APFS, a better Safari (Which I am using the Tech Preview of which is better) and some minor tweaks. (Mission Control and animations use Metal now so they're smoother.)

Yeah there's not a ton of major user-facing anything - this is pretty clearly not a big macOS or tvOS year.

smuf

I wish they'd stop tying Safari updates to the OS. There's a ton of people who never upgrade any of their devices and end up stuck on an outdated browser for years on end.

Makes Safari the new IE as a webdeveloper.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish they'd stop tying Safari updates to the OS. There's a ton of people who never upgrade any of their devices and end up stuck on an outdated browser for years on end.

Use the Technology Preview. It's much better IMHO. It had the High Sierra on Sierra features back before High Sierra was introduced and is better in High Sierra now. And if you're a Dev, you should at least have it installed. Though you are right. It should be a separately updatable app.

Speaking of Safari, in case it matters to anyone, Safari's new "disable auto-playing videos" feature works with YouTube videos if that's your thing.

hirokazu

Use the Technology Preview. It's much better IMHO. It had the High Sierra on Sierra features back before High Sierra was introduced and is better in High Sierra now. And if you're a Dev, you should at least have it installed. Though you are right. It should be a separately updatable app.

Speaking of Safari, in case it matters to anyone, Safari's new "disable auto-playing videos" feature works with YouTube videos if that's your thing.
Yeah, I think his gripe is having to support other users on older versions of Safari, not that he's not able to run the latest version without updating the OS.

That's definitely a fair point when people are still using Macs that can't run the latest version of macOS.

smuf

Yeah, I think his gripe is having to support other users on older versions of Safari, not that he's not able to run the latest version without updating the OS.

That's definitely a fair point when people are still using Macs that can't run the latest version of macOS.

That's exactly what I meant :)

I'm always on the latest OS, but a lot of users unfortunately aren't.

Case in point, one website I maintain has 30% of Safari users on outdated versions (9 or below). This is making me hold out on adopting new technologies like CSS grids for now.

The new Safari is available for Sierra too, how far back do you want them to support?

hirokazu

Sif not leak to the community. Unless 9to5Mac shares the GM with some knowledgeable people, I don't think they can do the sort of deep digging to find even more info on the new phones.

I think the new wallpapers would be one of the biggest changes from the betas for existing phones.

More stuff coming out of the GM...

Face ID seems to be the final name of Pearl ID. Not a surprise. Setup tutorial animation:

Not sure what this is, referenced as Jellyfish:

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd assume it captures facial expressions and animates the emoji accordingly.

Also, a slight AirPod revision. Full article: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/08/ios-11-gm-d22-iphone-8-details/

Vuze

That emoji thing will be YUGE if it actually does what you suspect. That's genius. I never thought about this.

Damn, I feel like I should stop following the news at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a final render of the OLED phone to be found either.

Not sure what this is, referenced as Jellyfish:

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd assume it captures facial expressions and animates the emoji accordingly.

Also, a slight AirPod revision. Full article: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/08/ios-11-gm-d22-iphone-8-details/

Glad to see you and I think a like. The facial capture for emoji usage in imessage is gonna be big. Bigger would be if it can be used with the audio messages and look like your character is talking and emoting.

The Airpod revision looks like to me like it's being done for the LTE Watch 3. They'd have to place a LED on the outside so you knew your watch was charging or the case was charging. Don't expect any huge changes in the actual Airpods themselves.

Whogie

Error 3194. Seems Apple won't sign the update anymore. Getting a Beta profile didn't help.

Ah well, few more days.

Top Bottom