• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

hirokazu

Glad to see you and I think a like. The facial capture for emoji usage in imessage is gonna be big. Bigger would be if it can be used with the audio messages and look like your character is talking and emoting.
Great assumption, 9to5Mac released a new article that confirms these “animoji” will animate to your voice as well as your face. Really looking forward to it.

Vuze

Great assumption, 9to5Mac released a new article that confirms these ”animoji" will animate to your voice as well as your face. Really looking forward to it.
Pig Animoji spam all day long! I'm quite sad this will be iMessage-exclusive, it's basically dead here. They'll probably add Face API in iOS 12 for third party apps but meh. Guess I'll try to convince some iPhone buddies to switch; Apple Cash etc might help when ever it launches over here

Ninhead

Anyone else having the issue where the dock is only showing Apple Music, even if you're using Amazon Music or Spotify? Won't send track ID/info or let you control over Bluetooth.

Switched from Android (OPO) last year and am digging it wholeheartedly, but I've one huge pet peeve: searching iMessage is so brutal. Does iOS 11 return more than one result per person and/or go back a few days yet, albeit in beta? I figure with Cloud sync they've gotta be looking at it.

Other changes sound nice or alright, but that would be a winner for me.

hirokazu

Switched from Android (OPO) last year and am digging it wholeheartedly, but I've one huge pet peeve: searching iMessage is so brutal. Does iOS 11 return more than one result per person and/or go back a few days yet, albeit in beta? I figure with Cloud sync they've gotta be looking at it.

Other changes sound nice or alright, but that would be a winner for me.
It's been brutal for the past ten years. You might as well delete everything in iMessage that's older than a month because no way in hell you can find what you need going back further anyway.

Deku Tree

Wow the latest PB has been more sluggish on my 10.5 iPad Pro than all the others. It is slow to respond to touch, and the gyro doesn't always respond right away.

Miyahon

Got a bug in the iOS 11 GM. Opened messages and could not send any messages as the message input box at the bottom was gone including the camera button and iMessage apps. Had to force quit the app in order to get it to work again.

hirokazu

iTunes 12.7 is out, including support for iOS 11 (and the removal of the App Store.)
WTF.

Also, the virtual Home button in the AssistiveTouch menu does nothing on the Lock Screen while the device is still locked, rather than bring up the passcode prompt like a Home button press should. Sucks because I use it if my fingers are dirty or sweaty so I don't shit up my physical Home button.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
everything updated to GM, except for Apple TV which is stuck at “waiting for server”

Guess I’ll wait for it to update on its own. Or I’ll fucking blow it up next week when my ATV 4K arrives. 😈

hirokazu

Touch, simply touch, on my iPhone 6 has randomly decided to be unresponsive for about an hour at a time during the entire beta process.
My 6 Plus was unresponsive on the Home screen after completing the GM update setup (enter your Apple ID password, etc) for about 20 seconds. I'm chalking it up to background processes after a fresh upgrade. It has not been on the betas.

Animations are noticeably worse so far on iPhone 6 Plus though.

jimmypython

That's been a problem with all the 3D Touch iPhones throughout the beta process. Guess they decided it's good enough to ship for now.

Touch, simply touch, on my iPhone 6 has randomly decided to be unresponsive for about an hour at a time during the entire beta process.

And they call this GM? LOL

Apple has been consistently dropping balls....well, the only good product they put out recently is their 27inch iMac this year.

Amazon.com (and some other sites) has been very laggy for me in Safari since 10.3 and the 11 GM hasn't changed that. Anyone else experience this?

My 6 Plus was unresponsive on the Home screen after completing the GM update setup (enter your Apple ID password, etc) for about 20 seconds. I'm chalking it up to background processes after a fresh upgrade. It has not been on the betas.

Animations are noticeably worse so far on iPhone 6 Plus though.

Same, but after that freeze it’s been fine

Vuze

Is anyone running the GM on a 5S? I'm contemplating whether to update when it's released next week or ride it out on iOS 10 until I get whichever new iPhone later this year

simonski

Anyone know if the new portrait mode features (studio lightning etc) will work on a 7+? They should, as a depth map is created (as far as I know), but at the moment I can't see it on mine.

Pixieking

Banned
So if the GM is actually out on the Beta track, is it worth updating now to beat the laggy servers/server crash? Or will the signature be different for the public release?

Vuze

Anyone know if the new portrait mode features (studio lightning etc) will work on a 7+? They should, as a depth map is created (as far as I know), but at the moment I can't see it on mine.
Portraight light is explicitly described as 8+ / X feature on their site. Probably related to the neural engine in the A11.
PygostQ.png

Portraight light is explicitly described as 8+ / X feature on their site. Probably related to the neural engine in the A11.
PygostQ.png

Between Apple and Intel, I'm starting to feel like fixed function hardware acceleration is simply a way to market new features while causing planned obsolescence.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ever since the GM i've been having issues with apps stalling when I launch them.
If you're updating straight from beta to GM it's generally recommended to do a backup and restore afterward. Bugs can linger from the beta builds otherwise.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't quite get this. Do you mean that the non-Beta is out before the official release date?

Yes, the final build goes out to developers a bit early so they can build and test their apps against it (and get any necessary updates finished and shipped) before it rolls out to the general public.

Pixieking

Banned
Yes, the final build goes out to developers a bit early so they can build and test their apps against it (and get any necessary updates finished and shipped) before it rolls out to the general public.

Oh, yeah... Sorry, I badly phrased my question (literally only on my first cup of coffee of the day).

I meant, is the non-Beta out on the non-Beta track before the official release date? Essentially, did Apple break the street date of the official iOS release?

I'm guessing not (because that's silly), but the post I was replying to didn't specify GM or "for Beta participants and developers", just that iOS 11 was out.

Does anyone else not have a clear button for notifications from the current day? It appears for every other day but any notifications from the current day I have to manually clear since no clear button is present.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I didn't do the beta and I'm updating to the GM.... Should I wipe my phone? What is the recommendation for big jumps in the OS like this? I really don't want to start over with so many apps and log in again.

hirokazu

I didn't do the beta and I'm updating to the GM.... Should I wipe my phone? What is the recommendation for big jumps in the OS like this? I really don't want to start over with so many apps and log in again.
OTA update is fine if you're doing it using the dev profile. Otherwise just update in place in iTunes. No need to wipe.

K-Gun

My only issue on a 9.7 Pro is choppy animation when opening Safari, I do have a bunch of tabs open, but it just looks sloppy when opening. Haven't had that issue when opening other apps, or rather I've yet to notice it.

Top Bottom