• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I guess PB later tonight then.

Looking forward to the next "50 new features in the latest iOS 11 beta" video on EverythingApplePro.

Has anybody here with an iPhone and iOS 11 experienced that Bluetooth automatically turns on?
I have driving mode enabled and every morning when I get out of the car after driving to work, bluetooth is on. This doesn't happen during every drive though! And I don't ever have Bluetooth switched on. Very rarely. And when I do, it's a very conscious choice.

Haven't read anything about such a behaviour anywhere.

Is there a reason you turn Bluetooth off?

Vuze

Has anybody here with an iPhone and iOS 11 experienced that Bluetooth automatically turns on?
I have driving mode enabled and every morning when I get out of the car after driving to work, bluetooth is on. This doesn't happen during every drive though! And I don't ever have Bluetooth switched on. Very rarely. And when I do, it's a very conscious choice.

Haven't read anything about such a behaviour anywhere.
I experienced a semi-related glitch on my iPad: the bluetooth symbol is always boldened even when nothing is connected. Battery life is perfectly fine though. It's been this way for three beta versions or so at this point.

kaskade

I'm having that issue again where it gets held up on preparing to update. I did the delete and redownload trick but it still seems stuck.

edit: working now

hirokazu

My iPad Pro 10.5 runs surprisingly well with the latest iOS 11 beta.
I'd be more than concerned if it didn't run well on the latest iPad two weeks out from GM release.

My biggest functionality complaint is that the method for opening splitscreen apps is far less intuitive than the old method. If the app you want to use in splitscreen isn't already in your dock, it's a hassle to set up. The old way was uglier but I much prefer it.
At the very least, allow a swipe from the side to bring up the last app you've put on SlideOver. Often I put Safari or Messages on SlideOver and then slide it off screen. Go to another app and want to slide it back like on iOS 10 but nope. Nothing. I gotta drag it back from the Dock again.

Shearie

At the very least, allow a swipe from the side to bring up the last app you've put on SlideOver. Often I put Safari or Messages on SlideOver and then slide it off screen. Go to another app and want to slide it back like on iOS 10 but nope. Nothing. I gotta drag it back from the Dock again.

I haven't used any of the betas but I'm suprised that the slideover app goes away as soon as you go into another app.

erawsd

I'd be more than concerned if it didn't run well on the latest iPad two weeks out from GM release.

I never really used slide over in iOS10 so I don’t remember how it worked. However, what you are describing is exactly how it is working for me in iOS11. I can have iMessage set as my slide over app and then if I go from Safari or anything else as my “main” app Imessage will stay as the slide over, I don’t have to reset it.

hirokazu

I think you're right. It must've been a quirk of the beta, because it does work as expected now. Though there's still a weird cooldown time where it doesn't seem to work immediately after it's been swiped off screen but does when you try a second time.

Giolon

What happens when you have an app in slideover and you tap on the app icon either in the Dock or the Home Screen?

If you're in an app and tap it in the dock, it will slide out. If you're on the home screen, it will open the app normally.

The most awkward thing is when you have an app open in slide over but your main app doesn't support side-by-side. There's no way to get rid of the slide over app entirely. The process for dismissing slide over apps in general is bad (requiring you to change them to side-by-side and then squeezing them off the screen with your other app). I hope Apple improves it in minor releases.

Shearie

If you’re in an app and tap it in the dock, it will slide out. If you’re on the home screen, it will open the app normally.

The most awkward thing is when you have an app open in slide over but your main app doesn’t support side-by-side. There’s no way to get rid of the slide over app entirely. The process for dismissing slide over apps in general is bad (requiring you to change them to side-by-side and then squeezing them off the screen with your other app). I hope Apple improves it in minor releases.

Is that really a problem though if you can just flick it off screen and forget about it?

Giolon

Is that really a problem though if you can just flick it off screen and forget about it?

Well, if for example you wanted to switch to the slideover app in full screen, you have to first quit to the home screen, then open the app that was in slideover. It sort of negates the convenience of the dock being available at all times. Also, slideover apps offscreen can interfere with gestures, like the "navigate forward" gesture in Safari.

I feel like the solution here is so easy - just let users drag the slideover app down off the screen, in an extension of the action that lets you convert from side-by-side to slideover.

I'd also appreciate being able to hide slideover apps off to the left as well as the right.

Shearie

Well, if for example you wanted to switch to the slideover app in full screen, you have to first quit to the home screen, then open the app that was in slideover. It sort of negates the convenience of the dock being available at all times. Also, slideover apps offscreen can interfere with gestures, like the "navigate forward" gesture in Safari.

I feel like the solution here is so easy - just let users drag the slideover app down off the screen, in an extension of the action that lets you convert from side-by-side to slideover.

I'd also appreciate being able to hide slideover apps off to the left as well as the right.

The first times I saw iOS 11 multitasking demoed, I assumed sliding all the way down would get rid of the app.

I would also prefer if you tapped on an icon in the dock that's in slideover, it would go fullscreen. There's already an easy way to slide it back, why have the dock do the same thing while making full screen conversion longer?

People talking about toggling radios like they’re on an Android phone.

Just leave everything on - it’s fine. Bet y’all the same people that have to “close” everything running to get “better” battery life.

hirokazu

Mostly for better battery life.
Having Bluetooth on or off makes very little difference unless you have a device that doesn’t support Bluetooth LE connected. The battery drain from leaving the different radios on is mostly negligible these days. The only thing you’d want to turn off is the cell radio if you’re gonna be in an area with very poor or no reception for a prolonged period of time.

So was that the GM? Or another one maybe?
GM will probably come in two weeks if the rumoured date of the announcement is correct. In the meantime, this may be the last beta unless Apple rolls out yet another one next week.

F34R

I could have worded that better. I mean it runs even better than 10.3.3.

Nightfall

Having Bluetooth on or off makes very little difference unless you have a device that doesn’t support Bluetooth LE connected. The battery drain from leaving the different radios on is mostly negligible these days. The only thing you’d want to turn off is the cell radio if you’re gonna be in an area with very poor or no reception for a prolonged period of time.

Not in my experience. My 6s has a significantly better battery life with bluetooth disabled.

hirokazu

Not in my experience. My 6s has a significantly better battery life with bluetooth disabled.
If you say so. That's not been the case from my experience. I think the general wisdom with Bluetooth LE capable devices is it doesn't make much difference.

Either way it's believed Apple has changed it so the Control Centre toggles don't switch off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but merely disconnects the current connections. I think you have to go into Settings to switch them off now. I think there's also a bug in the betas where it gets reenabled if the device is restarted, I'm not sure if that's been fixed in the latest beta.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Really dislike the new widget screen on iPad. So much empty space, they should have kept it how it was in iOS 10.

daxy

Man, after seven beta waves you'd expect them to fix the really obvious bugs and yet I still regularly experience the Safari status bar not scrolling to the top of a page when I touch it. It only responds normally again after I tap the URL box and cancel out.

Tech Crunch: A preview of the first wave of AR apps coming to iPhones

Also somebody plugged their app based on the new depth API in the comments below, its imitation of anamorphic DoF looks quite amazing for artsy portraits. Will keep an eye on this. Next iPhone will be a dual lens model no matter what. http://www.brainfevermedia.com/anamorphic.html

iOS 11 launch will be very interesting, app-wise.

Screw the people saying AR isn’t exciting until it’s not in a phone. I’m plenty excited about it right now, and it’s only going to get better. I’m gonna be dropping mad dollars on AR come September/October

Man, after seven beta waves you'd expect them to fix the really obvious bugs and yet I still regularly experience the Safari status bar not scrolling to the top of a page when I touch it. It only responds normally again after I tap the URL box and cancel out.

Yeah, that’s one I get relatively frequently. Thanks for the URL tip though, I was quitting the whole tab and reopening it

Make sure you report it in the feedback app, I did a couple of weeks ago.

Shearie

The way it was done in iOS 10 worked fine in both landscape and portrait though.

Sure, but the widget ordering wasn't consistent when switching between landscape and portrait. Not saying what's the better implementation, just giving a possible reason why they might have changed it.

hirokazu

Sure, but the widget ordering wasn't consistent when switching between landscape and portrait. Not saying what's the better implementation, just giving a possible reason why they might have changed it.
It wasn't the most elegant, it just put the widgets from the right column beneath the ones from the left column, and the names for the were clumsy and could've been tweaked but it worked. The ordering of the widgets wasn't exactly a mystery.

And most importantly, it's much better than what they've done with it in iOS 11.

You can improve an inelegant implementation by fixing what made it inelegant. Swapping it for an implementation that's worse is objectively a step back.

ESBL

Installing the new PB now, I think we'll have a GM by the time of the iPhone conference or the day of.

Installing the new PB now, I think we'll have a GM by the time of the iPhone conference or the day of.

Following tradition, it would be the 20th (Wednesday before iPhone launch which is a week after the Friday after the announcement. Diagram that sentence, I dare you). They could always change it if they feel like it’s ready/get people to update their phones far earlier than iPhone launch day to relieve some strain on the servers, but yeah. History says the 20th

ESBL

Following tradition, it would be the 12th (Wednesday before iPhone launch which is a week after the Friday after the announcement. Diagram that sentence, I dare you). They could always change it if they feel like it’s ready/get people to update their phones far earlier than iPhone launch day to relieve some strain on the servers, but yeah. History says the 20th

I think they'll release it before the iPhone launch day because of iCloud message sync, RIP iCloud servers.

Top Bottom