• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

hirokazu

Ugly new App Store icon.

New maps too, Apple Park!
Both of those are worse than the ones they replace.

The App Store icon doesn't need explanation. Maps conveys the image of a map less now just because they felt the need to add the Spaceship to the icon. And yet it just looks like a curved road or something. Yuck.

App Store icon is bad but I really don't like the iTunes Store one either.
Yeah this too. The new one is basically "We're removing the enclosing circles from the store apps. How do we differentiate iTunes from Music?"

*crickets*

"I got nuthin'."

*20 min later*

"Well how about a star."

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
"Well how about a star."
Makes no sense either since, like Twitter and YouTube before them, they've actively been trying to steer people away from using stars for rating and using hearts for loving instead.

#TeamFavStar #TeamStarRatings #TeamActuallyIPreferLikesOnYouTubeOverTheOldStarRatingSystemSoThatsSomething #TeamIDontEvenBotherRatingVideosOnNetflix

ckfy63a

Makes no sense either since, like Twitter and YouTube before them, they've actively been trying to steer people away from using stars for rating and using hearts for loving instead.

#TeamFavStar #TeamStarRatings #TeamActuallyIPreferLikesOnYouTubeOverTheOldStarRatingSystemSoThatsSomething #TeamIDontEvenBotherRatingVideosOnNetflix

I believe the new iTunes icon intends to depict five spotlights converging on the center, i.e., "spotlighting" the performers' content, right? (Honestly, given the lighting contrast on the five spotlights, I didn't really even notice the star shape until this post.) Pretty good, if you ask me, and represents the fact that within iTunes is not only music, but also TV shows and movies.

Also, the new App Store icon is pretty neat; you can rotate it at 120 and 240 degrees and get the same symbol. Symmetry like that could come in handy down the line.

kiguel182

Just updated and that App Store icon is one ugly icon. Wtf Apple...

Edit; I mean, I get wanting to get rid of the old one but this isn't it. At all.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I believe the new iTunes icon intends to depict five spotlights converging on the center, i.e., "spotlighting" the performers' content, right? (Honestly, given the lighting contrast on the five spotlights, I didn't really even notice the star shape until this post.) Pretty good, if you ask me, and represents the fact that within iTunes is not only music, but also TV shows and movies.

Also, the new App Store icon is pretty neat; you can rotate it at 120 and 240 degrees and get the same symbol. Symmetry like that could come in handy down the line.
This ^

jts

...hate me...
Came here to complain about the App Store icon, guess I'm super late lol.

End of an era.

I guess they are gunning to keep the identifiable shape while introducing further abstraction, removing the legacy object shapes that shouldn't be necessary anymore. It's yet another step to remove skeuomorphism, but I mean there are still lots of other apps that keep it, from settings, to messages, to almost everything bar Photos.

It's commendable, but the execution needs some iteration imo.

Majine

Banned
The icon is fine, geez.

My bigger problem is that Apple still is using the iOS7 style lineart icons in a lot of apps (Safari for example), while introducing filled rounder icons in the App Store, Photos etc.

DOWN

Banned
My iPad downloaded the update but won’t switch from Preparing Update to actually letting me hit the install button

Worst bug so far: 3D Touching on anything in the control center causes a respring. 100% of the time

Edit: looks like this is a complication with “speak screen” turned on, turning it off fixed it

Vuze

Worst bug so far: 3D Touching on anything in the control center causes a respring. 100% of the time

Edit: looks like this is a complication with “speak screen” turned on, turning it off fixed it
ha, that sounds almost as bad as the 80% chance for freezing the iPad when I brought up the multitasking view on beta 5. Luckily it seems fixed on beta 6!

This is my first summer since iOS 4 *not* running the betas on my phone and Mac and I have zero regrets about any of it, lol. All of these sound unstable way longer into the beta cycle than in most past years.

TimFL

This is my first summer since iOS 4 *not* running the betas on my phone and Mac and I have zero regrets about any of it, lol. All of these sound unstable way longer into the beta cycle than in most past years.

Honestly, apart from a few really minor nitpicks, the latest beta feels really solid. I've had a bit of a sluggish experience with beta 5 but beta 6 feels like everything suddenly shifted into the 6th gear.

Still some annoyances like music up next queue having blank songs occasionally or the control center desyncing from actual input values (I change the volume in the music app to 1/3rd but CC still shows it at 1/2).

It's safe to jump in though. Can't really comment on battery life yet.

Aiii

So not worth it

The reason you are hearing more complaints this year is simple. There is now a dedicated beta thread.

Most problems (for the record, I haven't had any myself) are just one factory reset away from being solved anyways. Which is a low impact thing since everything is backed up in the cloud now anyways. I would say running a beta has never been more risk free.

hirokazu

ha, that sounds almost as bad as the 80% chance for freezing the iPad when I brought up the multitasking view on beta 5. Luckily it seems fixed on beta 6!
It wasn't anywhere near 80% for me. One thing that happened a hell of a lot though was freezing when (accidentally) selecting/dragging something, especially in Safari. Haven't encountered it yet in the latest beta but not sure if it's resolved.

soldat7

uRXpoAO.jpg

System is taking up 27.2 GB. Latest Public Beta. iPad 9.7. Multiple restores and wipes.

So frustrating.

Aiii

So not worth it
My phone doesn’t have the new Siri voice on it, my iPad does though. This a bug?
You can set it in the Siri settings. At least, in Dutch you had to download the natural voices or it would default to the old one. One of the betas it put the old
Voice back and would not download the new voices. Not sure why that was, but it is fixed now.

However...
“Hey Siri, for the love of Steve, could you stop draining my battery for no reason?”

I’m sure a restart will fix it.

kaskade

You can set it in the Siri settings. At least, in Dutch you had to download the natural voices or it would default to the old one. One of the betas it put the old
Voice back and would not download the new voices. Not sure why that was, but it is fixed now.

However...

“Hey Siri, for the love of Steve, could you stop draining my battery for no reason?”

I’m sure a restart will fix it.

The voice seemed to automatically change, maybe it was downloading or indexing a bunch of stuff. The new one does sound a lot better.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know if APFS has any benefits on a HDD? They built it with Flash in mind but is there anything that will happen when it’s put on a HDD? My iMac is still a HDD and I haven’t updated yet to High Sierra. Will soon but as long as there aren’t any drawbacks. HDD is slow enough as it is. I was just curious if it would be any faster somehow.

Does anyone know if APFS has any benefits on a HDD? They built it with Flash in mind but is there anything that will happen when it's put on a HDD? My iMac is still a HDD and I haven't updated yet to High Sierra. Will soon but as long as there aren't any drawbacks. HDD is slow enough as it is. I was just curious if it would be any faster somehow.

It'll probably be faster because APFS uses copy-on-write using deltas (redirect-on-write) and doesn't require a journal and the accompanying two hits to the drive every write.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It'll probably be faster because APFS uses copy-on-write using deltas and doesn't require a journal and the accompanying two hits to the drive every write.
Would it speed up my boot time? My iMac with its ancient hard drive takes a few minutes to get to the desktop and then a couple more to finish loading all the programs I have set to load at boot. Eventually I’ll pay to upgrade to SSD but for now I'm stuck on HDD.

Would it be worth it to convert all my external hard drives to it too? I have a lot of big media files on large drives. Would it make any difference there?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
uRXpoAO.jpg

System is taking up 27.2 GB. Latest Public Beta. iPad 9.7. Multiple restores and wipes.

So frustrating.

Back on this, I had success in fixing mine by doing a manual backup in iTunes, then force-killing the Settings app on the device. It cut my "Other" from 20Gb down to 6Gb and also significantly sped up performance overall.

Try that?

Deku Tree

When is gonna be the best time to jump off the beta train? I don't want to install iOS 11.1 PB or anything like that... I just want to have the iOS 11 GM and then jump off the beta train.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When is gonna be the best time to jump off the beta train? I don't want to install iOS 11.1 PB or anything like that... I just want to have the iOS 11 GM and then jump off the beta train.
As soon as the GM is installed I would guess. Once you're on iOS 11 proper, delete the beta profile.

Deku Tree

Question about the iOS 11 files app. I just watched this 45 second video on Apples web site about the files app.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/how-to/

Go to the Files App video. At about the 30 second mark the video shows the person clicking on Box cloud service in the tab on the right and the the iPad instantly shows the one file in the box cloud on the whole screen... It looks like this in the video:

However I only get the full view of my cloud folder in iCloud. Like this:

If I click on my box cloud folder (or any other non-apple cloud folder) then I see a smaller pop up in the middle like this:

Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know how to get the big view for a non-apple cloud folder (similar to the iCloud folder view)? Is it possible?

I would be surprised if Apple used a little slight of hand to make viewing non-apple cloud folders look easier than it actually is in their PR video... or maybe they are showing what Files will look like when it is released versus how it works in the current PB? Thanks!

Vuze

Yeah, I know Dropbox will get proper implementation when iOS 11 stable is out so I’m pretty sure the same goes for any other service as well.

Aleh

They should do something about the Safari and Mail icons next. Always hated them. Weather could use some work too but it's ok.

jts

...hate me...
Um. I know it's always a risk but still don't mind me asking. How is the latest beta on iPhone (mine is 6s+) and especially with Google Chrome?

I need my phone to work and I particularly need Google Chrome for it.

I have it installed on my iPad Pro and I like it a lot. Very smooth. Been itching to get it on iPhone too, now that we're getting to the stabler end. Want that new NC on iPhone.

kennah

Um. I know it's always a risk but still don't mind me asking. How is the latest beta on iPhone (mine is 6s+) and especially with Google Chrome?

I need my phone to work and I particularly need Google Chrome for it.

I have it installed on my iPad Pro and I like it a lot. Very smooth. Been itching to get it on iPhone too, now that we're getting to the stabler end. Want that new NC on iPhone.
hasnt given me any issues with chrome on my se

Vuze

I got no clue if I have the new Siri voice or not. Dutch/ Belgium is there any way to check?
Try to find pre-iOS 11 videos of Dutch Siri on YouTube and compare (if you don't have another device on iOS 10) perhaps. The difference is strikingly obvious in German though but I guess if you never use Siri it might be hard to hear a difference :p

Giolon

Public Beta 6 on iPad Pro 10.5" is starting to feel pretty polished, which is good because release should be only a few weeks away.

Top Bottom