• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What app is bugging you?
Any of them. If you have or need an app to be able to use your location in the background, it's going to be constantly appearing and resizing the content and getting in the way of your finger when you try to tap the top to go to the top of a page. It's annoting all around and at the very least it should NOT be twice the height when active. At most it should just color the status bar part, and only if the status bar is visible, and at very least it should just make the icon light up.

For example, yesterday I "checked in" on FaceBook then got in a car and the entire trip, until I finally went in and just shut location off, the bar continually appeared and disappeared and appeared and disappeared as I was moving. Obviously it's an oversight and the FaceBook app doesn't mean for it to happen because, obviously, this feature didn't exist before. And maybe a proper iOS 11 updated FB app will stop it somehow, but it's quite annoying.

I want location services in my apps.

I don't want to be constantly told that an app is using my location.

It should be an option, and a "one off" thing that the device warns you about that you can say "It's okay, I want it to do that." to and have it not notify you anymore for that app.

CraigMcD

Apple have probably added it because background apps are abusing it. Why does Facebook need to know your location if it's not the active app? I wouldn't be so sure of it being a bug.

Yeah that ain’t a Facebook bug, they want that info on where you are

The blue bar is meant to shame those apps. Facebook, in this instance, deserves that shame

hirokazu

Any of them. If you have or need an app to be able to use your location in the background, it's going to be constantly appearing and resizing the content and getting in the way of your finger when you try to tap the top to go to the top of a page. It's annoting all around and at the very least it should NOT be twice the height when active. At most it should just color the status bar part, and only if the status bar is visible, and at very least it should just make the icon light up.

For example, yesterday I "checked in" on FaceBook then got in a car and the entire trip, until I finally went in and just shut location off, the bar continually appeared and disappeared and appeared and disappeared as I was moving. Obviously it's an oversight and the FaceBook app doesn't mean for it to happen because, obviously, this feature didn't exist before. And maybe a proper iOS 11 updated FB app will stop it somehow, but it's quite annoying.

I want location services in my apps.

I don't want to be constantly told that an app is using my location.

It should be an option, and a "one off" thing that the device warns you about that you can say "It's okay, I want it to do that." to and have it not notify you anymore for that app.
iOS has two types of location services in the background. One is passive, where the app is given updated data at set intervals by location services and asked to process it quickly. This type displays the pointer in the status bar. The other is active and is always polling your location all time. iOS shows the blue status bar for this type to let you know this is happening. The only apps that really need the active location services is turn-by-turn navigation and other apps where up-to-date location is critical (for example, Pokémon Go with the Go Plus accessory).

I don't think the problem here is iOS, I think the problem is Facebook. Why would you want/need Facebook to always be tracking your location and draining your battery? It makes no sense. They can just as easily do that using passive location tracking if you actually wanted it.

I think iOS has done its job in informing on Facebook's misbehaviour. Just go into Locaton Services settings and for Facebook, turn it to While using app rather than Always.

Apple have probably added it because background apps are abusing it. Why does Facebook need to know your location if it's not the active app? I wouldn't be so sure of it being a bug.
This isn't even new, it's been there since background multitasking and location has been a thing.

Does anyone know if you can safely restore from a backup made when the backup itself is made from a public beta firmware?

in other words iOS11 (Public Beta 3) -> iOS11 (Public Beta 3) BACKUP.

I thought I had a local backup of my iPhone from 10.3.2 but I guess I don't. Oops. And I'm having an issue where Other/System data has grown substantially over the past few days, filling my phone's storage, and I can't seem to get it to revert to normal. If I can't I guess my only option is to restore.

Does anyone know if you can safely restore from a backup made when the backup itself is made from a public beta firmware?

in other words iOS11 (Public Beta 3) -> iOS11 (Public Beta 3) BACKUP.

I thought I had a local backup of my iPhone from 10.3.2 but I guess I don't. Oops. And I'm having an issue where Other/System data has grown substantially over the past few days, filling my phone's storage, and I can't seem to get it to revert to normal. If I can't I guess my only option is to restore.

Yes, it’ll take some work. You’ll want to restore through iTunes, set up the device on 10.3.3 as new, get the beta profile back on there, update to 11, in settings Restore All Content and Settings, then restore from a backup made on iOS11

Or you can try to skip the restore through iTunes part and go straight to Restore All Content and Settings but I wouldn’t advise it if there’s an issue with system data

emag

I can deal with some stuttering and performance issues so if that's as bad as it gets, but I'd classify most of my iPhone 6 Plus usage in year 2 (Sept 2015-2016) as a miserable experience (if you'd like to set a tolerance bar for me). I have an android tablet I use daily (Nvidia Shield first gen) which still works great but I'm far deeper into the iOS ecosystem (and I prefer it greatly). Since you guys are saying the price isn't bad, I'm left with whether I want to pay $100 to tinker with a beta for a couple months, since it won't be getting any future iOS versions. I live with a Macbook Air with 2GB of RAM, only picked that up because of a really great price, so not sure I want to do the same again. All that said... wasn't in the market for an iPad AT ALL; this just fell into my lap.

My iPad Mini 2 runs Public Beta 3 pretty smoothly, except for the minimize animation (four/five finger pinch gesture), which is horrifically choppy. I am having problems with iCloud synchronization of messages and family purchases showing up in the app store, but those bugs don't seem to be performance related.

Then again, I can't compare it to your iPhone 6 Plus experience. I was never troubled with performance on the 5S or 6S.

Vuze

New AppStore features it seems. Love them!
ot1dSiv.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Checking my storage usage (freeing up space to download some videos for a plane trip), I noticed 'system' taking up over 10GB, and 'other' on the storage bar chart being very large.

What sort of things are covered in that? Photos is listed separately as are individual app usage.

Checking my storage usage (freeing up space to download some videos for a plane trip), I noticed 'system' taking up over 10GB, and 'other' on the storage bar chart being very large.

What sort of things are covered in that? Photos is listed separately as are individual app usage.

If you’re on a beta I can imagine crash logs and diagnostics being quite large

soldat7

I’m at 23 gigs os System space. Help!

ramyeon

I'm probably overlooking it but does anyone know where I can find this functionality to change sound output on iOS 11? Specifically on the iPad.
Edit: Found it, feels like it takes longer to get to now :/

I'm probably overlooking it but does anyone know where I can find this functionality to change sound output on iOS 11? Specifically on the iPad.

Edit: Found it, feels like it takes longer to get to now :/

Like you found, it’s in the control center. That’s strange though, did the player you were using not have the airplay icon?

Yes, it'll take some work. You'll want to restore through iTunes, set up the device on 10.3.3 as new, get the beta profile back on there, update to 11, in settings Restore All Content and Settings, then restore from a backup made on iOS11

Or you can try to skip the restore through iTunes part and go straight to Restore All Content and Settings but I wouldn't advise it if there's an issue with system data

Thanks for the advice. I actually wound up doing the latter of the two methods you suggested, restoring from a beta backup seems to have gone smoothly and the system data issue seems mitigated for now. If it resurfaces I might do the totally clean wipe, although I might try to hold off until the stable release of iOS 11.0 is out.

I'm at 23 gigs os System space. Help!

I noticed I had an "iPhone storage full" dialog box hit me when I knew I should be nowhere near full. I checked my storage and found that System was taking up 41GB and growing. Considering I have a 64GB iPhone that's quite a problem. I did a restore and a few days later things seem to have stabilized for now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I get the "Storage is full" message every time I open Photos for the first time that day asking if I want to optimize even though it's not true at all. I still have at least 15% of my 32GB free (Enough for PLENTY of photos) according to both the system itself and iTunes when I plug it in. Though when I plug it in it always miscalculates anyway and shows it being much more full until I sync. I really really REALLY hate how shitty iOS and iTunes are at determining how much space you have. Especially since its not that hard to check empty space or the Spotlight database. (Which is where the tallies of data types comes from for both iOS and macOS.)

My next phone is definitely going to be at least 128GB even though I don't need anywhere near that much. Just so I never have to see that message again. Because if I ever did see it, I'd know it's just iOS being stupid.

I get the "Storage is full" message every time I open Photos for the first time that day asking if I want to optimize even though it's not true at all. I still have at least 15% of my 32GB free (Enough for PLENTY of photos) according to both the system itself and iTunes when I plug it in. Though when I plug it in it always miscalculates anyway and shows it being much more full until I sync. I really really REALLY hate how shitty iOS and iTunes are at determining how much space you have. Especially since its not that hard to check empty space or the Spotlight database. (Which is where the tallies of data types comes from for both iOS and macOS.)

My next phone is definitely going to be at least 128GB even though I don't need anywhere near that much. Just so I never have to see that message again. Because if I ever did see it, I'd know it's just iOS being stupid.

For me it's seemingly something that just happened with Public Beta 3. I have a 64GB one and while I don't obsessively monitor how much free space I have on it, I usually have had about 25GB of it free. I didn't even notice anything was amiss until I got the "storage is full" dialog box out of the blue and checked and saw that System Data had exploded to 41GB and crept up every time I checked it over the following days.

It makes me wish that "System" data weren't so opaque and could at least let you observe exactly what in there is taking up so much space.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For me it's seemingly something that just happened with Public Beta 3. I have a 64GB one and while I don't obsessively monitor how much free space I have on it, I usually have had about 25GB of it free. I didn't even notice anything was amiss until I got the "storage is full" dialog box out of the blue and checked and saw that System Data had exploded to 41GB and crept up every time I checked it over the following days.

It makes me wish that "System" data weren't so opaque and could at least let you observe exactly what in there is taking up so much space.
Definitely.

I hate that I can't tell what "Other" is either. My Other storage takes up as much as my free space. But I don't know if it's caches or what. Speaking of which, I really really want to be able to manually clear caches for all apps. Some apps have implemented their own cache clearing, like Tumblr, but with everything else the only way to clear caches is to delete the app. You can't even keep its settings data if you delete the app. Only if you offload it, but I don't know if offloading will clear its cache or keep it too. They also seem to clear themselves occasionally when the OS needs to download something big without having to ask you first. So it can be done. Caches can be huge for apps like Twitter, FaceBook, Safari, Tumblr, basically any app that is or has a "browser".

Let me clear my caches! I bet that "other" section would shrink a lot if I could.

samn

Definitely.

I hate that I can't tell what "Other" is either. My Other storage takes up as much as my free space. But I don't know if it's caches or what. Speaking of which, I really really want to be able to manually clear caches for all apps. Some apps have implemented their own cache clearing, like Tumblr, but with everything else the only way to clear caches is to delete the app. You can't even keep its settings data if you delete the app. Only if you offload it, but I don't know if offloading will clear its cache or keep it too. They also seem to clear themselves occasionally when the OS needs to download something big without having to ask you first. So it can be done. Caches can be huge for apps like Twitter, FaceBook, Safari, Tumblr, basically any app that is or has a "browser".

Let me clear my caches! I bet that "other" section would shrink a lot if I could.

I don't want a manual cache clearer - it will just become the new thing where everyone swipes their apps to close them even though they shouldn't.

It should do it automatically and invisibly, the way that it is supposedly meant to work right now.

soldat7

I don't want a manual cache clearer - it will just become the new thing where everyone swipes their apps to close them even though they shouldn't.

It should do it automatically and invisibly, the way that it is supposedly meant to work right now.

The ability to manually clear the cache or clean the system folder sounds great, especially right now. Best of all, you wouldn’t even have to use it or be aware that others are doing so!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The ability to manually clear the cache or clean the system folder sounds great, especially right now. Best of all, you wouldn’t even have to use it or be aware that others are doing so!
Ditto. It'd be there. You don't have to use it. But if you want it, it's there.

Well, at least we finally got the ability to disable automatic downloading of the Reading List.

Even if we can't have manual cache cleaning, at the very least the OS should not count cache folders in calculating free space and should always empty the cache as a first resort when running out of storage.

But as I said, if I had a 128GB iPhone I wouldn't even care. But I won't have one of those for at least 2 years. (I'm aiming for whatever the 8S or EditionS ends up being next September. If not the 9 the year after.)

Ugh, all the iPhone Pro speculation/analysis going on in the blog world right now is making me want one again, even though not having TouchID sounds annoying as fuck to me. But if it's the size of an iPhone 7 with a screen bigger and higher-res than an iPhone 7+ and has better battery life than either of those due to OLED/10nm SoC and automatic scene detection dramatically altering the RAW processing of camera output... uguu~

Ugh, all the iPhone Pro speculation/analysis going on in the blog world right now is making me want one again, even though not having TouchID sounds annoying as fuck to me. But if it's the size of an iPhone 7 with a screen bigger and higher-res than an iPhone 7+ and has better battery life than either of those due to OLED/10nm SoC and automatic scene detection dramatically altering the RAW processing of camera output... uguu~

Size of the 7 with native 3x scaling and all those other goodies. Join the dark side

keenerz

oddly if the new iPhone is 7 sized with plus res, I'd go for it. as much as I like my plus, making the phone more secure in one hand use is always a plus for me (pun not intended).

TimFL

A manual cache cleaner is as useless as the automatic one if a developer decides to store all of the app files in the permanent storage path. It's been a while since I delved into iOS development but I think there are 3 types of storages an app can chose from, one of them being for temporary/cache files.

Pretty sure there are a lot of apps that avoid cache cleaners by throwing all files into the non-cache storage. Not to mention the probably insane amount of apps that would stop functioning with a manual cache cleaner function (pretty sure loads of apps rely on the cache even though it's more than bad practice to do so).

I agree with the "no manual cache cleaner" opinion. iOS is designed to automatically free up the temporary storage for apps, based on usage of apps, when you run low on storage. Combine that with the other storage optimization stuff like being able to automatically clear voice/messages, music storage, photos and the new offloading apps feature from iOS 11, I don't see how anyone could ever run out of storage at 64GB+.
If you're using a 16GB phone you're already asking for trouble anyways, the highest res images including live photo option take up 20-30mb of storage / photo.
I do have 128GB so there's that, no clue how anyone can survive on 16GB.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When the 'offload apps' has a button but only frees up less than half the space that 'system' uses - then something isn't doing its job properly and is at least like the option to poke it with a stick

samn

Ditto. It'd be there. You don't have to use it. But if you want it, it's there.

The same could have been said about the ability to force close apps. People who don't know what they're doing find out about it and obsessively do it - the 'queue' UI even makes it enjoyable to clear out. The end result is a worse experience - more battery consumed to reopen the apps from fresh. The same would be true of caches that are cleared when they don't need to be.

There is no reason the system could not take care of cache clearing automatically and invisibly. A computer should not ask a question it can answer itself.

i really doubt it's going to be bigger than a 7 plus, even though it sounds like it would be. the screen will be narrower and taller, but smaller in absolute terms — "5.8-inch" is smaller than 5.5-inch at this kind of aspect ratio. if you've used a galaxy s8 or LG G6 you'll know what i mean.

it makes a difference because (for example) while you might be able to see more instagram posts at once, they won't be much/any bigger than what you're used to because there's little to no additional width.

i'll get it either way because it will be hot, but it's likely to feel like a downgrade in sheer size if you're used to a plus. and if they do ditch touch ID altogether, that 7S plus could be tempting if it comes in red...

oddly if the new iPhone is 7 sized with plus res, I'd go for it. as much as I like my plus, making the phone more secure in one hand use is always a plus for me (pun not intended).

That’s what I’m excited for. I’ve had a plus model for three years now and while I like the screen size and usability, I’m sick of (mostly) not being able to use one and and to feel like it’s never secure. These rumors are the best of both worlds

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i really doubt it's going to be bigger than a 7 plus, even though it sounds like it would be. the screen will be narrower and taller, but smaller in absolute terms — "5.8-inch" is smaller than 5.5-inch at this kind of aspect ratio. if you've used a galaxy s8 or LG G6 you'll know what i mean.

it makes a difference because (for example) while you might be able to see more instagram posts at once, they won't be much/any bigger than what you're used to because there's little to no additional width.

i'll get it either way because it will be hot, but it's likely to feel like a downgrade in sheer size if you're used to a plus. and if they do ditch touch ID altogether, that 7S plus could be tempting if it comes in red...

Plus if the top is chopped off for status icons, and the bottom reserved for a 'function area' we'll barely get any additional usable space - but it’ll look prettier.

I would really like a 'plus' screen in a standard size - I don’t think I can go back to the physical size and weight of the 6s+

DOWN

Banned
I feel like it’s gonna be so hard to pre-order the iPhone Edition but I very much want it and am screwed if I don’t get it since I’m gonna wait for it on iPhone upgrade program if it doesn’t launch the same day as 7S

Symphonia

Banned
So I’ve noticed it’s taking longer than usual to simply charge my phone. It takes a good half hour just to get it to 15% - this ain’t normal, right?

Shearie

Something I've been wondering about the new Notes app: is there anyway to draw over text? Or does it only ever move the text away when you want to draw on that spot?

I would love to make Apple Notes my default note taker app instead of OneNote for school but there are cases where typing text and drawing over it is really helpful for my Computer Science class notes.

giga

iMessage icloud syncing delayed. Gonna be an iOS 11 point release it seems. Sad but I'd rather them get it right.

iMessage icloud syncing delayed. Gonna be an iOS 11 point release it seems. Sad but I'd rather them get it right.

That's a bummer but not a huge surprise. Transitioning the entire iMessage backend over to that superior model at scale is (1) probably a bit tricky and (2) really important to get completely perfect.

Vuze

Animations are much smoother for me, feels great!

Never noticed the “recent” section of the dock has hands off support. Pretty dope.
H465raj.jpg

Top Bottom