• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Ashhong

Why isn’t swipe right a shortcut for clear notification? It brings up an option for option, which you can do by just simply tapping on the notification. Swiping it right should just instantly clear, like the app switcher does with swipe up!

Vuze

Why isn't swipe right a shortcut for clear notification? It brings up an option for option, which you can do by just simply tapping on the notification. Swiping it right should just instantly clear, like the app switcher does with swipe up!
Just keep swiping to the end and don't stop midway-through; it will go away if that's what you were wondering about

DOWN

Banned
Why isn’t swipe right a shortcut for clear notification? It brings up an option for option, which you can do by just simply tapping on the notification. Swiping it right should just instantly clear, like the app switcher does with swipe up!
? It is. One swipe left all the way across instantly clears it

Swipe right opens it in one swipe. Small swipes bring up the options

Ashhong

Oh shit. Awesome! Lol. I usually stop so the button prompts how. How was I supposed to know....

Edit: it doesn’t work on ios10 tho so I guess that’s new

I’m still getting used to all the drag and drop stuff on my iPad, but there’s some cool things. In Safari you can drag a link all the way to the side and open in split view, or drag it onto the + button to instantly make it a new tab

Edit: the one thing I cannot get used to is the floating window app. Let’s say I place safari there because I want to check something real quick, then swipe it away. No problem, that’s great. But then I want to open the real, full safari. I swipe up my dock where it is, press safari, and the little window slides back over. From what I can tell the only way to now get safari full screen is to either go back to springboard and launch it from there, place a new app as the floating window and then launch safari (but then I have the same problem with that new app), or swipe down on the window to lock it and then close it. All of those add a bunch of steps that should not be necessary

Vuze

I completely agree. Floating window definitely needs some work, it’s very irritating. Adding a simple X in the corner or swipe up/down that ends its floating status should be sufficient.

hirokazu

That seems like it would lead to confusion. I would want to put my finger where the finger print symbol is.
It's not that hard to figure out. The place you put your finger could have the fingerprint symbol encircled by the Touch ID ring. But given the current prompt doesn't even animate to indicate status, who knows what they're doing.

hirokazu

I’m still getting used to all the drag and drop stuff on my iPad, but there’s some cool things. In Safari you can drag a link all the way to the side and open in split view, or drag it onto the + button to instantly make it a new tab

Edit: the one thing I cannot get used to is the floating window app. Let’s say I place safari there because I want to check something real quick, then swipe it away. No problem, that’s great. But then I want to open the real, full safari. I swipe up my dock where it is, press safari, and the little window slides back over. From what I can tell the only way to now get safari full screen is to either go back to springboard and launch it from there, place a new app as the floating window and then launch safari (but then I have the same problem with that new app), or swipe down on the window to lock it and then close it. All of those add a bunch of steps that should not be necessary
Yeah, the floating SlideOver pisses me off. I think there's a kind of lack of consensus right now on how things should function and everything's all over the place. Hopefully it gels by the time the GM is released.

gamma

It's not that hard to figure out. The place you put your finger could have the fingerprint symbol encircled by the Touch ID ring. But given the current prompt doesn't even animate to indicate status, who knows what they're doing.

Might just be that way for regular Touch ID devices.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish Apple would make up their minds whether they want a landscape lock screen on the iPhone Plus or not. For the last two betas I’ve had a bug where the phone randomly goes into landscape because the sensor is too sensitive and occasionally it causes the lock screen to be landscape. While in beta 2 it was messed up, in beta 3 now it’s actually properly laid out with the clock on the left and the notifications on the right.

I say just put it in as a feature.

Speaking of which, anyone know why they got rid of the controls on the left and right side of the landscape keyboard? We’re they too easy to hit? If they’re gonna get rid of them I wish they’d at least add a split keyboard to the Plus landscape mode.

Ironically I find myself not even using landscape much since switching to a Plus even though it was one of the bullet point features I bought it for. I guess portrait is good enough for me I don’t need it except for videos. I wish you could set orientation lock to whitelist video apps. It’s like the only time I use landscape.

I wish Apple would make up their minds whether they want a landscape lock screen on the iPhone Plus or not. For the last two betas I’ve had a bug where the phone randomly goes into landscape because the sensor is too sensitive and occasionally it causes the lock screen to be landscape. While in beta 2 it was messed up, in beta 3 now it’s actually properly laid out with the clock on the left and the notifications on the right.

I say just put it in as a feature.

Speaking of which, anyone know why they got rid of the controls on the left and right side of the landscape keyboard? We’re they too easy to hit? If they’re gonna get rid of them I wish they’d at least add a split keyboard to the Plus landscape mode.

Ironically I find myself not even using landscape much since switching to a Plus even though it was one of the bullet point features I bought it for. I guess portrait is good enough for me I don’t need it except for videos. I wish you could set orientation lock to whitelist video apps. It’s like the only time I use landscape.

Basically. I keep my phone is portrait lock 99.99% of the time. I only take it out for a video in Safari. Apple really has to copy the YouTube app here and let full screen video go widescreen, even in portrait lock. It’s really annoying to turn it off just for the duration of that video

hirokazu

I doon't know how the landscape keyboard works now since I don't have the beta on my iPhone, but even though it sounded like a good idea those extra controls and the change in layout on the iPhone's landscape keyboard was pretty bad in practice.

It always threw me off and made me press the wrong keys to the point where I actively avoid typing landscape on iPhone. So this is probably a move for the better.

DOWN

Banned
I doon't know how the landscape keyboard works now since I don't have the beta on my iPhone, but even though it sounded like a good idea those extra controls and the change in layout on the iPhone's landscape keyboard was pretty bad in practice.

It always threw me off and made me press the wrong keys to the point where I actively avoid typing landscape on iPhone. So this is probably a move for the better.
Totally agree with this post. That keyboard’s inconsistency made it hard to switch back and forth to.

hirokazu

Why do people keep saying the finger print doesn't animate? It totally does on my iPhone 7 Plus...
The new one that appears when you want to open a notification from the lock screen? I didn't animate for me on the iPad so I assumed it doesn't. That's interesting to know.

Deku Tree

Anyone using Google Backup And Sync to upload their photos to the web?

I told it to upload my Apple Photos library to the web but it is taking forever... I have a 100gb photos library with 200k photos in it and it has been syncing for a few days now and it still has 150K photos to upload.

... I have a FIOS internet so unless google is being throttled or throttling themselves then I have not explanation for the slowness of the upload.

I can download or upload 100gb pretty quickly otherwise.

Deku Tree

How does PB3 do with Discord? In all the previous PBs discord would freeze for me randomly after I go back to it. But it would work fine if I opened it up new.

Symphonia

Banned
What’s happening with it?
K7iJTl.png
Just comes up with that.

Just comes up with that.

Mine did that on the first beta as well, I called it, entered my voicemail password and it started working after that

You may also have to call your carrier and have them re-enable visual voicemail on your line if somehow that got messed with

kaioshade

I had to have AT&T reset my voicemail password by googling how to do it. Then I entered the password after hitting Call Voicemail in the phone app and it started working again

Mine was weird. Beta 3 of dev did that, Beta 4 worked fine after that.

Pardon the quick interruption, but this seems to be the most active Apple thread. A coworker is selling his iPad Mini 2 for $100. I'd been wanting an iOS device to mess around with betas on, but this is just barely above the iOS 11 cutoff. Am I heading for a miserable experience? Is the price OK?

tommyguns

Pardon the quick interruption, but this seems to be the most active Apple thread. A coworker is selling his iPad Mini 2 for $100. I'd been wanting an iOS device to mess around with betas on, but this is just barely above the iOS 11 cutoff. Am I heading for a miserable experience? Is the price OK?

Eh. It depends on your tolerance for what a 'miserable experience' is. My girlfriend has an iPad mini 2 that she leaves around the house and doesn't use much anymore. I put iOS 11 beta on it and while it runs, it isn't all that fast, animations aren't very smooth, etc. etc.

The price is good, I’m trying to offload a Mini 2 right now with some cases and such for $200. iOS11 will likely be the last release it gets, so it might do relatively poorly... I already has some loading slowness on mine on iOS10, but nothing dealbreaking. A mini 2 is essentially just an iPad Air which I think a couple people here (Guess Who?) are running on the beta, we’ll see if they chime in. Same if anyone is running it on a 5S

br3wnor

Did anyone run into battery/charging issues with PB2 for the iPad? I’m running a 12.9 Pro that I keep plugged into a 29W USBC adapter for the entire work day. I usually run split screen apps and most of the time my battery % would be in the high 90’s, sometimes dipping down but quickly going back up. I noticed the past few days that my battery would go all the way down into the 60’s at times and I even made an Apple appointment this weekend to have the iPad/charger checked out, but now I’m thinking it could just be the beta.

I downloaded PB3 and will see how that goes the next few days, but did anyone else deal w/ weird battery/charging issues the past PB update?

Did anyone run into battery/charging issues with PB2 for the iPad? I’m running a 12.9 Pro that I keep plugged into a 29W USBC adapter for the entire work day. I usually run split screen apps and most of the time my battery % would be in the high 90’s, sometimes dipping down but quickly going back up. I noticed the past few days that my battery would go all the way down into the 60’s at times and I even made an Apple appointment this weekend to have the iPad/charger checked out, but now I’m thinking it could just be the beta.

I downloaded PB3 and will see how that goes the next few days, but did anyone else deal w/ weird battery/charging issues the past PB update?

PB2 was DB3, which was shit on my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7 Plus batteries.

DB4 is much better.

Guess Who

Banned
The price is good, I’m trying to offload a Mini 2 right now with some cases and such for $200. iOS11 will likely be the last release it gets, so it might do relatively poorly... I already has some loading slowness on mine on iOS10, but nothing dealbreaking. A mini 2 is essentially just an iPad Air which I think a couple people here (Guess Who?) are running on the beta, we’ll see if they chime in. Same if anyone is running it on a 5S

I was running it on a mini 4, which probably fares better than the mini 2, and the first few betas were super rough though it has gotten notably better with each beta. Given how much it's been improving it's hard to say what the final release will look like at this point.

Eh. It depends on your tolerance for what a 'miserable experience' is. My girlfriend has an iPad mini 2 that she leaves around the house and doesn't use much anymore. I put iOS 11 beta on it and while it runs, it isn't all that fast, animations aren't very smooth, etc. etc.

The price is good, I'm trying to offload a Mini 2 right now with some cases and such for $200. iOS11 will likely be the last release it gets, so it might do relatively poorly... I already has some loading slowness on mine on iOS10, but nothing dealbreaking. A mini 2 is essentially just an iPad Air which I think a couple people here (Guess Who?) are running on the beta, we'll see if they chime in. Same if anyone is running it on a 5S

I was running it on a mini 4, which probably fares better than the mini 2, and the first few betas were super rough though it has gotten notably better with each beta. Given how much it's been improving it's hard to say what the final release will look like at this point.
I can deal with some stuttering and performance issues so if that's as bad as it gets, but I'd classify most of my iPhone 6 Plus usage in year 2 (Sept 2015-2016) as a miserable experience (if you'd like to set a tolerance bar for me). I have an android tablet I use daily (Nvidia Shield first gen) which still works great but I'm far deeper into the iOS ecosystem (and I prefer it greatly). Since you guys are saying the price isn't bad, I'm left with whether I want to pay $100 to tinker with a beta for a couple months, since it won't be getting any future iOS versions. I live with a Macbook Air with 2GB of RAM, only picked that up because of a really great price, so not sure I want to do the same again. All that said... wasn't in the market for an iPad AT ALL; this just fell into my lap.

br3wnor

PB2 was DB3, which was shit on my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7 Plus batteries.

DB4 is much better.

Great, thank you, the battery seems much better.

Question for the beta and iPhone texts: anyone having trouble with them going through? My mom is only person I text who doesn’t have iMessage and it seems like my texts won’t go through to her and it keeps saying message send failure, this an issue that’s come up/has a fix?

jiiikoo

Banned
Not sure if it’s a problem with the iOS 11 beta or what, but my newly bought Smart Keyboard for the 10,5 inch iPad Pro lags quite a lot when typing. Hmm.

Gamespawn

Had to go back to 10 on my 6s. Safari would freeze whenever i went to any website, including here. Really loved everything else, especially that customizable control panel.

Not ready for use on primary devices.

Is this good enough yet to put on my daily driver iPhone 7 Plus? I have the beta on my iPad Pro and it seems quite solid, curious how people using it on an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus feel about it though.

BearPawB

Banned
Is this good enough yet to put on my daily driver iPhone 7 Plus? I have the beta on my iPad Pro and it seems quite solid, curious how people using it on an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus feel about it though.

The last one was basically unusable for me.
This beta has been ok. Still some random freezes/odd behaviors.
But it is definitely in a usable state (im on a 7 plus)

Vuze

Is photo stream / iCloud photo sync spotty for anyone else? I just noticed my iPhone pics haven't synced to the iPad since Tuesday 😳
That in general is a thing Apple has to work on, I regularly see these white photos which seem to be iCloud sync errors or sth and don't really go away until whatever happens.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. I’ve officially decided the blue “app is actively using your location” bar is extremely annoying, distracting and needs to go. Just make the icon glow when it’s active. No one really needs to know this that badly. There’s no reason for it to be so in your face. Especially since it causes the app content to shrink and expand and takes away your ability to tap the status bar to get to the top when it’s active which can be jarring if it happens to pop up just as you are about to touch there.

Please Apple. Dump it. Make it an option. Anything. Just not this.

Okay. I’ve officially decided the blue “app is actively using your location” bar is extremely annoying, distracting and needs to go. Just make the icon glow when it’s active. No one really needs to know this that badly. There’s no reason for it to be so in your face. Especially since it causes the app content to shrink and expand and takes away your ability to tap the status bar to get to the top when it’s active which can be jarring if it happens to pop up just as you are about to touch there.

Please Apple. Dump it. Make it an option. Anything. Just not this.

What app is bugging you?

Anybody managed to fix an app not opening? PB3 broke the Bandcamp app and a reinstall hasn't fixed it. App pops up but then immediately just goes back to the home screen.

Top Bottom