• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Karish

tbh all I need my Apple Watch to do is look nice, tell the time, tap me on the wrist when someone texts me, and count my calories. Unless Apple comes up with a mindblowing new use case for it I don't see myself upgrading my S0 in the foreseeable future, even if it stops getting updates.
I sold my s0 and upgraded to s1 and honestly it was 100% worth it.

Guess Who

Banned
I sold my s0 and upgraded to s1 and honestly it was 100% worth it.

What made it worth it for you? Performance hasn't been a major issue for me on the S0, except with third-party apps, but frankly I can't think of any third-party watchOS apps I'd want to use even if they did run well.

i upgraded from steel 0 to space black steel 2 and i'm glad i did. the brighter screen makes a big difference in daylight, performance is a lot less frustrating, battery life is WAY better (can go away for the weekend without a charger), and it's nice to have "official" waterproofing even though the original model was probably fine.

also space black looks great. wish there were more band options with matching lugs, though.

i upgraded from steel 0 to space black steel 2 and i'm glad i did. the brighter screen makes a big difference in daylight, performance is a lot less frustrating, battery life is WAY better (can go away for the weekend without a charger), and it's nice to have "official" waterproofing even though the original model was probably fine.

also space black looks great. wish there were more band options with matching lugs, though.

You did the exact same path I did for the exact same reasons, cheers. Now I’m looking forward to a black ceramic S3

Is there a reason the animations are so slow on iOS 11? I have a iPhone 7 and the animations have that slight delay like they did on iOS 7

wachie

Beta 3 was the worst.

I've been jumping on the Betas since 7 and this was the shittiest version of all-time. Just went back to 10, thats how shitty it was.

What made it worth it for you? Performance hasn't been a major issue for me on the S0, except with third-party apps, but frankly I can't think of any third-party watchOS apps I'd want to use even if they did run well.

I have to imagine OS upgrades no longer take like an hour and a half.

Vuze

Limiting factor is probably pushing a several-hundred MB update through Bluetooth
I’m fairly confident the chip is the limiting factor. The watch certainly verifies the received update data after it received it via BT/Wifi. Then unpacking and installing probably. A side by side S0 vs S1/2 update speed comparison would be kinda interesting. Older iOS devices took ages to update/restore as well if my memory doesn’t fail me.

It would be silly to transfer the data via Bluetooth when the watch is capable of wifi. But I’m just guessing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
My original Watch doesn't take an hour and a half to update. That's nuts.

mine does. honestly yours is literally the only watch I've ever heard of that doesn't. the initial OS4 update was over an hour. subsequent beta updates were like 50+ minutes for beta 2... beta 3 don't even get me started..... it was like over an hour just to get the watch booting up screen.. then I went to bed.. woke up like two hours later and saw the light was still on.. so hard reset it (seriously fuck it at this point.. why not???). went back to bed. woke up a couple of hours later and saw the light was STILL on. hard reset it again. woke up and it appeared to be working. and I've been using it since (fwiw beta 3 has actually returned my watch to being usable... so despite the ridiculously awful update process... I actually don't hate my watch for the first time this beta cycle)

tl;dr don't install the watch beta :p meanwhile iOS 11 beta has been glorious on my 7 and 10.5 Pro. I did not install it on my OG iPad Air however before selling it.. though iOS 10 was getting a little slow on that poor workhorse.

I’m fairly confident the chip is the limiting factor. The watch certainly verifies the received update data after it received it via BT/Wifi. Then unpacking and installing probably. A side by side S0 vs S1/2 update speed comparison would be kinda interesting. Older iOS devices took ages to update/restore as well if my memory doesn’t fail me.

It would be silly to transfer the data via Bluetooth when the watch is capable of wifi. But I’m just guessing.

I wonder if it's some kind of more-intense-than-normal decompression operation, because simple I/O shouldn't be incredibly CPU-intensive. Making a bunch of sacrifices to make sure the actual file size of the OS update is as small as it can be might help explain things (though it wouldn't really explain the slowness of minor point updates, I suppose).

Doesn't the watch use WiFi to talk to the phone as well?

I do not believe the Watch uses wifi to connect to and get information from the phone, just Bluetooth. It’ll use wifi to connect to wifi network when your phone isn’t nearby and for location services while exercising.

The updates definitely download to the phone first and then get pushed to the watch.

Installing the High Sierra beta was a mistake, only because I accidentally said "sure, why not" to enabling FileVault. It's going to take 3-4 days to encrypt my drive. And you can't cancel it.

After about 4 days of terrible battery on my 7+, I turned off location services and it miraculously fixed the drain for me. Only lost 3% overnight compared to the 50% I was losing on PB2.

btkadams

After about 4 days of terrible battery on my 7+, I turned off location services and it miraculously fixed the drain for me. Only lost 3% overnight compared to the 50% I was losing on PB2.
Yeah, battery drain on this one is insane. My 7 Plus died today at around 1300 after coming off a car charger at 100% around 0730. It’s nearly as bad as watchOS 4 beta 2 was on my watch (watch was dying after a few hours). Location services seemed to be the cause of the battery drain on watchOS 4 beta 2’s drain, so I guess it makes sense for it to be causing it in the latest iOS 10 beta as well.

DOWN

Banned
I do not believe the Watch uses wifi to connect to and get information from the phone, just Bluetooth. It’ll use wifi to connect to wifi network when your phone isn’t nearby and for location services while exercising.

The updates definitely download to the phone first and then get pushed to the watch.
My understanding is that the watch uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for transferring data because it is sharing the data in the manner AirDrop sharing is based on

Vuze

Yeah. Download on phone > verify on phone > transfer to watch (possible BT bottleneck?) > verify on watch (CPU bottleneck?) > unpack/install (CPU bottleneck?)

I guess that's how it goes.

Yeah. Download on phone > verify on phone > transfer to watch (possible BT bottleneck?) > verify on watch (CPU bottleneck?) > unpack/install (CPU bottleneck?)

I guess that's how it goes.

Yeah, once it says 'ready to install' I'm pretty sure it's already uploaded to the watch, which is another reason why I don't think that the slowness is about BT bandwidth. Note that there are no warnings about keeping your phone within range for the install to proceed.

Fuck this fucking beta. Maps just straight up does not work, I get nothing but “Directions Not Available At This Time.”

The most destructive thing I’ve ever had happen on a beta

DOWN

Banned
My first 5 days on the beta were rad but then I started crashing in a lot of apps and especially taking or viewing Live Photo’s so now it’s a bit of a yikes but I am weak for anything Apple so I will stay on the beta to brag about having the new features and pretend life is great

Guess Who

Banned
I’m living that beta-on-iPad-stable-on-iPhone life. Pros outweighs the cons on iPad, but I definitely would not tolerate some of this stuff on my iPhone.

Vuze

I’m living that beta-on-iPad-stable-on-iPhone life. Pros outweighs the cons on iPad, but I definitely would not tolerate some of this stuff on my iPhone.
I feel exactly the same way. Semi-random re-springs, visual glitches, issues with orientation, web/app infinite loops, more recently the insane battery drain... no way I'd want that on a daily driver. I have to say I miss the screenshot feature in particular on the phone lol.

Worst bug in the beta for me is the search bar appearing 1-2 seconds after going into favourite on Safari and hitting the wrong shortcut.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Worst bug in the beta for me is the search bar appearing 1-2 seconds after going into favourite on Safari and hitting the wrong shortcut.

I’m gonna finally get used to it just as the next beta fixes it, causing me to still incorrectly tap my favorites. >:[

DOWN

Banned
The Touch ID pop up is very satisfying with the little haptic feedback. Great way to verify app downloads.

Bought the lightning to HDMI adapter for use with my new projector, freezes three seconds into any video. Doesn’t do that on my roommate’s iOS10 phone, just on my iOS11 devices

I would buy an AppleTV instead but I already have one in the living room, and I expect a refresh in the fall so it seems like it would be a total waste of money

I just tried downgrading back to iOS 10 but now a bunch of my apps are just grayed out. I don't seem to be able to update them through the App Store. Do I have to delete and redownload? Was hoping I wasn't going to lose a bunch of data.

Vuze

Beta 4 is out bois, 330mb for my iPad 2017

E: Some observations

* Settings are now using the correct language, they've been in English before on my otherwise German iPad
* New icons for contacts, reminders, notes
* iPad multitasking visual glitches are gone

kaskade

Are there any apps that are completely broken on the iPad? I mostly use streaming ones like HBO Go, Hulu, Netflix all them. I use pixelmator for image editing too.

I bought a 10.5 iPad pro and I feel like I can't go on without trying iOS11 at this point.

Are there any apps that are completely broken on the iPad? I mostly use streaming ones like HBO Go, Hulu, Netflix all them. I use pixelmator for image editing too.

I bought a 10.5 iPad pro and I feel like I can't go on without trying iOS11 at this point.

All those apps work for me just fine on my 10.5” on 11

Beta 4 is out bois, 330mb for my iPad 2017

E: Some observations

* Settings are now using the correct language, they've been in English before on my otherwise German iPad
* New icons for contacts, reminders, notes
* iPad multitasking visual glitches are gone

Sounds like they're still HEAVILY tweaking Notification Center, also.

kaskade

All those apps work for me just fine on my 10.5” on 11

Perfect, thank you. Going to give it a download now. I wanted to wait a few betas for it to stabilize a little. I kind of wanted to wait until the final release but it's kind of fun seeing the changes between each update.

Sounds like they're still HEAVILY tweaking Notification Center, also.

Notification Center is dead, long live Cover Sheet

Perfect, thank you. Going to give it a download now. I wanted to wait a few betas for it to stabilize a little. I kind of wanted to wait until the final release but it's kind of fun seeing the changes between each update.

Definitely make a backup to iTunes and archive it first. Should be instructions on Apple’s beta site

giga

DFhQF-pUMAAn6nT.png

Thicker, bolder lines are welcome. The thin iOS 7 stuff needs to be banished.

The iTunes Store icon being a star is pretty weird to me. That app is *still* the download manager for some other Apple apps (in addition to itself, it also handles app store downloads still, iirc). I can't see Apple simply retiring it because it's still got to be a source of revenue, but the way Apple Music is integrated into the Music app and the iTunes Music Store isn't is... strange. I'd love to see Apple sort that out.

Top Bottom