• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Apple giveth and Apple taketh away. It was super annoying to not be able to swipe the notifications, and totally arbitrary as to why they ever disabled that.

Vuze

The icons on the recent apps have changed, no?
Dr7hneb.png

Also I just adopted my imgur workflow to work as an action extension. Process screenshots with new iOS 11 feature, upload them to imgur and get rid of them right after. Wonderful.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The icons on the recent apps have changed, no?
Dr7hneb.png

Also I just adopted my imgur workflow to work as an action extension. Process screenshots with new iOS 11 feature, upload them to imgur and get rid of them right after. Wonderful.
Mind sharing the workflow?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Getting annoyed by how often my home screen will be randomly landscape while the dock is correctly portrait. Bloody thing even swipes in landscape so I have to swipe up to go to the next page. Often just gets stuck like that. iPad Pro 10.5

Getting annoyed by how often my home screen will be randomly landscape while the dock is correctly portrait. Bloody thing even swipes in landscape so I have to swipe up to go to the next page. Often just gets stuck like that. iPad Pro 10.5

DB3 was doing that all the time on my 7 Plus. Today’s update (seems to have) fixed it.

kaskade

Yeah, ios11 is realluy damn nice for the iPad. Had a few springboard crashes but a restart seemed to fix them. Hopefully PB 3 smooths stuff out a bit more. TYhe ability to save photos from Safari and put them into my files app is awesome. It was annoying having to put save some images to the Photos app.

gamma

That new Touch ID screen really screams fingerprint reader under the screen no? Although it probably wouldn't be in the middle so who knows.

ios11b4notifications-800x708.jpg

That new Touch ID screen really screams fingerprint reader under the screen no? Although it probably wouldn't be in the middle so who knows.

I agree. Maybe you can put your finger anywhere on the display? Don’t know how that would work but that would be nuts

Is it strange to say that iOS11 makes me want another iPad? Like I had/have an iPad 2 but I haven't used it in years. But seeing all the additions like actual workflow redefining additions is making me think about buying an iPad and actually using it.

Shearie

Is it strange to say that iOS11 makes me want another iPad? Like I had/have an iPad 2 but I haven't used it in years. But seeing all the additions like actual workflow redefining additions is making me think about buying an iPad and actually using it.

Do it! My iPad Pro 9.7" is my favorite computer. A jump from an iPad 2 to the new 10.5" Pro would be mind blowing but even if you just got the new regular iPad, that's still a big improvement.

PSYGN

How well does iOS 11 run on Apple iPad Air 2? I have a jailbroken 9.3.something but this iPad update looks very tempting.

DOWN

Banned
How well does iOS 11 run on Apple iPad Air 2? I have a jailbroken 9.3.something but this iPad update looks very tempting.
Quite well but there can be lag when bringing up the multitask/control panel. Who knows if that will be minimized for iOS 11 launch.

Xcode 9 beta 4 keeps crashing on a Mac mini 2014, especially when I try to leave comments. Anyone else getting this issue?

iOS 11 beta on a iPad mini 2 has gotten better though.

Honestly using it on a 10.5” has been really fucking good. I hardly open my MacBook anymore, pretty much just to do homework on sites that won’t load on mobile

Social

Yup, when purchasing/downloading an app on the App Store you also get something that fits very well with a fingerprint reader.

hirokazu

You still need the Touch ID icon where you can see it so you can see its status while reading your fingerprint. If it’s gonna be integrated under ththe screen, the icon isn’t gonna be just where the reader is.

EDIT: wait it doesn’t even animate to display reading status!

kiguel182

You still need the Touch ID icon where you can see it so you can see its status while reading your fingerprint. If it’s gonna be integrated under ththe screen, the icon isn’t gonna be just where the reader is.

EDIT: wait it doesn’t even animate to display reading status!

That seems like it would lead to confusion. I would want to put my finger where the finger print symbol is.

kaskade

Damn, I did forget that apps can’t make use of the drag and drop and iOS11 features until the final release. I guess that does give some more excitement to release day then. It’ll be nice when I can drag images right into Pixelmator.

Furyous

Can you have folders inside of the iOS dock on the iPad? You could setup a workflow and put it in folders inside your dock and those folders could have workflows in them. I hope they include in this in a future version.

Guess Who

Banned
Can you have folders inside of the iOS dock on the iPad? You could setup a workflow and put it in folders inside your dock and those folders could have workflows in them. I hope they include in this in a future version.

Yes, you can have folders in the Dock.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Another neat feature of the latest beta is the App Switcher. If there's no apps open, it just won't show you a blank screen. It'll give an animation and a vibration telling you "Nope, nothing there" where it starts blurring then bounces back to the home screen. If you are closing apps and close the last one it also exits out back to the home screen. So nice. And the removal animation is so smooth now it lightly floats off screen while the next app floats into place. I love it. Feels so much better than the previous beta.

I guess the only drawback to it exiting out immediately is that you can't tap the bottom "Handoff" button. Which is probably a small oversight. Maybe they'll fix it. I mean since it no longer shows up as an icon on the lock screen it's the only place to get Handoff access. Personally I'd rather keep it like this and figure out a better place for Handoff or something. Maybe in the Control Center or something.

kaskade

I noticed Safari View Controller no longer has the grayed about bar making it looks like you could click the address bar. Nice little UI change there.

DOWN

Banned
Notification swiping is gonna make me cry. Can’t fucking believe we had to do that awful force touch to isolate the notification, tap again to request to open it, then put your finger on Touch ID to unlock the phone and get to the app.

Ashhong

Notification swiping is gonna make me cry. Can’t fucking believe we had to do that awful force touch to isolate the notification, tap again to request to open it, then put your finger on Touch ID to unlock the phone and get to the app.

The worst part of that for me was how unreliable it was. I would force touch the notification, and then when I let go it would register another touch. I just wanted to expand it so I could read on the lock screen!

Notifications on the cover sheet is almost perfect... I just need them grouped.

Yeah, it's definitely improving, but it also feels dangerously like there's nobody at the wheel here because the design choices keep self-contradicting and nobody's going for obvious options like grouping by app.

I'd honestly prefer to see app clearing/opening handled *only* by normal taps and swipes and 3D touch to be used for native snoozing and/or jumping straight to that app's notification preferences so you can immediately perma-mute apps that are being shitty.

Top Bottom