• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF article GTA V - X360 vs PS3

Gestault

And suddenly in light of a single article, a vocal subset of the community believes that DF is actually completely professional and trustworthy. Isn't the timing on that interesting.

brogan

Neo Member
So basically, as soon as you do anything, the frame rate hits the low 20's. It's disappointing, but expected given the hardware I guess.

Going to have to wait for the PC version though. My PS3's bluray drive is dead. Poor little guy.

Those of you who are complaining about how this game looks on both consoles, would you be willing to enlighten us as to what you were expecting from these ancient systems?

But why not add that 3rd option if its there? If being so serious about the differences.

Because it isn't there. So even bringing it up is a pointless argument. anyone who is interested in this thread (or at least most people) are interested in playing gta V now.

So basically, as soon as you do anything, the frame rate hits the low 20's. It's disappointing, but expected given the hardware I guess.

Going to have to wait for the PC version though. My PS3's bluray drive is dead. Poor little guy.

yeah its too ambitious IMO, stunning detail if you dont move. but IQ and framerate suffer too much, so def wait on pc or ps4/xbone version otherwise.

disappointed given the insanely high review scores

BigDug13

And suddenly in light of a single article, a vocal subset of the community believes that DF is actually completely professional and trustworthy. Isn't the timing on that interesting.

DF doesn't seem to be biased, just Leadbetter.

This article wasn't written by him.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Both versions have drops to 20 FPS and people are saying "Glad to hear both versions are good this time!"

20 FPS is shit even for consoles.... A little hesitant to actually pick that pre-order up now.

they are correct in this case

both version are identical in their low quality IQ and framerate lol

Both versions have drops to 20 FPS and people are saying "Glad to hear both versions are good this time!"

20 FPS is shit even for consoles.... A little hesitant to actually pick that pre-order up now.

yeah I dont get the rave reviews

like I mentioned before, the world detail is absolutely stunning. the engine just cant keep up unfortunately. if u dont care about low framerates in the 20's thats fine, I cant help but be disappointed however especially given such rave reviews.

Doran902

i'd take 20 fps after playing halo 4 splitscreen mp and having it drop to 3fps and none of the reviews mentioning that

Jburton

Banned

More interesting is the place from which your accusation comes from.

A DF article that slightly slants towards PS3 seems to be your real issue.

Yeah no this game runs like poop honestly, it's suprising the reviews don't mention this at all. Also the jaggies also everything, and I even got the ps3 version :(

vcc

They always dealt with things that are relatively objective. While on the rumor side they and many others gave MS the benefit of the doubt for the PS4 vs XB1, on actual comparisons frame rates, resolution, and jaggies are not things you can be subjective on. Digital Foundry has always been one of my favourite sources for technical comparisons (there are only so many sources).

A lot of reasonable people like Adam Sessler, Kevin Peraria, that guy from ReviewTechUSA, the guys at Digital Foundry, and many others including people here just can't think that MS would throw away a generation and have no response to Sony and the PS4 technically.

MS earned the benefit of the doubt through a very solid showing this gen and doing most of the important things right, although they rapidly showed they probably don't deserve it this round.

It's a testament to how hard MS has worked to change their reputation and improve their brand. As a slightly older gamer and a IT guy; having business decisions make their products stupidly bad is MS hallmark. Windows ME, Vista, Windows 8, Office 2008, Exchange, etc... It's like they have an internal war with business people and technical people and when the business people win the product sucks. XB1 seems to be an example of that. It's their Gaming Windows ME. Maybe next round they'll come back with a Xbox XP.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah no this game runs like poop honestly, it's suprising the reviews don't mention this at all. Also the jaggies also everything, and I even got the ps3 version :(
It's as good as you could expect from a native 1280x720 with post process AA. How nice it looks kind of depends on your TVs scaler as well.

It's as good as you could expect from a native 1280x720 with post process AA. How nice it looks kind of depends on your TVs scaler as well.

My tv is a 2011 Samsung D7000 3dtv I think it should have a decent scaler but you never know. It just looks so jaggy messy and honestly almost looks worse than RDR/GTA IV, I did play those on xbox360 so my televisions scaler didn't touch them but since the xbox360 scaler is nothing to write home about apparently this game just looks and runs bad.

SolidSnake3035

Neo Member
Ugh this verdict is so annoying, if I had more psn friends the decision would be a no brainer.

Yeah this is where I am currently. It's like, there's no way I want to pick the shitty 360 version and deal with the double install, but I don't know about playing it on PS3 and not having anyone in particular to play with on October 1st. Plus not having a headset for PS3...

Metfanant

Why are you upscaling? Upscaling is balls.

I'm not upscaling, my tv is native 1080p it always upscales if shit comes in at 720p which is what gta5 is coming in at according to my display info despite my ps3 being set at 1080p.

There aren't many PS3 games at 1080p though. I don't think. My TV self adjusts to whatever come through it.

It's a 720p native game, why would you want to upscale to 1080p so that it looks blurrier. Have you unchecked 720p in video settings on the PS3?

My TV must be different then. It's 1080p native resolution too but it does not do upscaling on it's own. Whatever signal is broadcast to it is what the TV presents. My PS3 menu comes in at 1080p, but then if I play something like The Last of Us, it switches to 720p.

So if i have a 1080p 55" tv, should i change the settings on my ps3 to 720p and let the tv do the rest?

Yes I do. There may be some TVs out there that do that, but my 1080p TV doesn't.

all modern HDTV's are fixed pixel displays...they can only display one resolution...their native one...if it displays a different resolution in the upper corner of the screen its just showing you the input resolution...the TV itself MUST upscale the image...

My tv is a 2011 Samsung D7000 3dtv I think it should have a decent scaler but you never know. It just looks so jaggy messy and honestly almost looks worse than RDR/GTA IV, I did play those on xbox360 so my televisions scaler didn't touch them but since the xbox360 scaler is nothing to write home about apparently this game just looks and runs bad.

edge enhancement off? sharpness turned down? those can help with the jaggies to an extent...wont get rid of them...but can help

I've just had 3 consecutive hard locks on my slim PS3 and I've just deleted and reinstalling the game data where it stopped at 2100 MB the first time.

Never had this problem and I played a couple of hours before it begun. Faulty disc or is the game killing my console?

I just want to play!!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So has anyone mentioned yet how taxing the game is on the PS3 hardware? Fatties getting wrecked or sounding like ghostships like with TLoU? I mean my 80gig survived three TLoU playthroughs, but I'm a little nervous about playing GTA on the old thing...

^^okay.jpg

Too many pages, while I expected GTA V to be much, much closer than GTA IV and RDR I still expected the XB360 version to eek out the "win". With the PS3 version being demoed I guess that should've been enough after all and that it was more than just the marketing partnership with Sony.

Pleasantly surprised, going to be interesting to see if future patches change this though or if Rockstar can improve both versions further, the XB360 version certainly seems like it has a little room to do so.

As for the not installing the second disc thing, I've been saying since the announcement that there would be a mandatory install that people probably shouldn't bother with the second disc and looks I was right. *Gives a cookie to himself.*

Seanspeed

Banned
Go to 2:20 in the video. Watch the scene. When the action actually starts the 360 drops as low as 18 FPS. If your GTA game play is anything like mine, then you will be experiencing quite a bit of that type of action.
Quite a bit, yea. But you'll still spend more of your time not blowing stuff up.

Hardly any different between the two when it comes down to it, though. Ground textures definitely seem better on the PS3, so that's what I'd consider a difference worth talking about.

Feindflug

The 360 scaler is very good actually, in most TV sets I've seen it does a better job than letting the TV (especially on LCD sets) do the upscaling...well except on a Pioneer Plasma set on which the difference between the two was literally non existent.

Now as a start lower the sharpness settings on your TV (start at around 25-30 and see how it goes), turn off crap like edge enhancement/dynamic noise reduction, 100Hz & DNIe and see if that helps with the IQ.

Truant

Game looks alright for a console game. Funny that this is the game that made me turn on my Xbox for the first time since Halo 4.

PCixty gaming has really spoiled me.

Pain

Banned
Looks like PS3 version comes out on top. Just goes to show how, with Cell development experience, the PS3 can overcome the Xbox 360s GPU advantage.

Looks like PS3 version comes out on top. Just goes to show how, with Cell development experience, the PS3 can overcome the Xbox 360s GPU advantage.

Too little too late, but yeah. We've known this. Shitty vRAM and high price resulting in shitty install base are what doomed the PS3 in hindsight, not the architecture per se.

so.. it performs like GTA IV did on consoles, yet has a more expansive open world, better draw distances, and better lighthing.... but people are upset?

i just picked it up during my lunch break and fully expect to enjoy the game when i get home despite the frame rate being in the 20's.... which i expected, considering i'm a reasonable person who understands my PS3 is 7 years old.

Too little too late, but yeah. We've known this. Shitty vRAM and high price resulting in shitty install base are what doomed the PS3 in hindsight, not the architecture per se.
I think that word is a bit more fitting being used as a descriptor for something like..... the Virtual Boy.

Mzo

It's close enough that I don't mind. I have way more friends on the 360 and I prefer it strongly for online games anyway.

Gonna have to stick to the 360 for this one.

d00d3n

PSN version: any notable difference? Anyone else reporting on that yet?

Many people (me included) complain about pop in with the PSN version, although there are some dissenting voices who can't detect anything wrong. I think pop in of street lights, street signs and big cars are very frequent with the PSN version when you are speeding in a fast car. I have not done side by side comparisons, but I watched the 360 version and ps3 disc version earlier today (brothers) and found no pop in at all with these versions.

There might be differences standing still also. Filmed a really ugly iphone video of pop in while standing on a hill looking down a road. Quite obvious pop in here, but yeah I guess it is far away. Someone in the OT playing a non PSN version said the pop in was not as bad for them.

Thrakier

It is not surprising. The same happened for example for Last of Us, which had severe framerate issues. I do not know why reviewers don't give a shit for technical performance as it just doesn't matter and is not relevant to the overall gameplay experience. I guess most of the reviewers are just like NeoGAF-dudes, they don't give a shit about playability as long as pretty effects and a huge world is in the game.

Top Bottom