• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Phantom Hourglass Screens

Peru said:
The WW-design is so much better than that generic lump of meat.
Generic is better than the ugly piece of shit that is TWW link's design. Fetus Link ftl.

They should've maded the model similar to the ff3 ds models or dq.

ant1532

Banned
Dascu said:
There is only one big dungeon with a timelimit, namely until the hourglass runs out. You can get more sand for the hourglass by exploration, going to other islands and beating other dungeons.
I bet that it is going to be obsolete once you get the pieces of the hourglass and the time won't even matter at all.

Link Man

Banned
Stitch said:
i love getting rickroll'd.

1171381174400yo6.gif

Overseer

The screens look amazing, seeing that are coming from the DS. I've been craving more Zelda ever since I finished Twilight Princess.

PolyGone

Banned
the thing I'm most excited about is it can't be Ganon, or very likely won't be. I love it when the Zeldas use a different boss / story, such as Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask.

Neo Child

Banned
screenshot_179651.jpg

Thats hot.

screenshot_179661.jpg

Can anyone translate the text and tell us what island it is?

screenshot_179658.jpg

Whats that symbol again? Is it the same symbol on the pearl you get from the winged guy?

PolyGone said:
the thing I'm most excited about is it can't be Ganon, or very likely won't be. I love it when the Zeldas use a different boss / story, such as Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask.

Eiji Aonuma already said Ganon is not in Phantom Hourglass...but you never know, he might have changed his mind by now.

Neo Child said:
screenshot_179658.jpg

Whats that symbol again? Is it the same symbol on the pearl you get from the winged guy?

It's the same symbol that appeared on the Goddess Pearl (Nayru) that you get from Prince Komali on Dragon Roost Island.

Neo Child

Banned
TSA said:
It's the same symbol that appeared on the Goddess Pearl (Nayru) that you get from Prince Komali on Dragon Roost Island.

Yeh cheers, had a brain lapse and couldn't remember the name.

We better be able to visit Windfall + Dragon Roost (I was gunna call it Koholint for a minute) Islands again.

Also:

screenshot_179648.jpg

Is that a treasure chart I see?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
king zell said:

This one here is my favorite. I love the sand cloud around the emerging monster. I still think they are trying too much detail around the textures. Makes it look too busy, plus so much pixelization when zoomed in. But I will be picking this up. Also, i love they have the stylus controls. Definitely looks nice.

Edit, this was before i saw those new pictures that totally blow away most of the first batch.

Neo Child

Banned
DarknessTear said:
lol treasure chart

I am not liking the direction this is going. :(

I liked getting treasure charts.

Probably cause I loved manual sailing - not sure about this Nintendogs-style sailing route planning.

Neomoto

Those new screens look fantastic. Can't wait to play this, hopefully they'll continue with the Wind Waker style (DS or Wii).

screenshot_179651.jpg
screenshot_179668.jpg

screenshot_179653.jpg
screenshot_179647.jpg

vareon

I'm more interested in the new gameplay style, though the graphics are undeniably awesome. The stylus control intrigues me :)

Squeak

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm surprised overall (and again) by how good Nintendo EAD can handle their systems in comparison to Third Parties. I mean, this is DS: a shitty ARM 9 + ARM7 CPU (but the graphics is handled only by the 67 Mhz CPU with 4 MB RAM).

The N64 was clocked at 97 Mhz. But the graphics of this game is far better then any N64 game. EAD knows how to make good games with very limited resources.
The DS also has hardwired transform hardware and rather good texture compression (some kind of vector quantization (not CLUT) I'm told).
If the choice is between bilinear and N64 texture res OR pointfiltering and much higher resolution, I'm all for the latter.

Neo Child said:

We better be able to visit Windfall + Dragon Roost (I was gunna call it Koholint for a minute) Islands again.

Also:

screenshot_179648.jpg

I still can't believe they might cram Wind Waker's entire world into the DS game. That's crazy.

Jaagen

Looking at PH gives me hopes about how Zelda Wii possibly will look, compared to the systems specs. It's debatable whenever TP pushed the GC, but this looks like it pushes the DS to the extreme. In fact, if Nintendo said that they've included an interdimantional portal in the game cart to draw CPU power form another dimantion, I wouldn't have doubted it one second. So now, all we have to do is see if it plays good(the gameplay vids doesn't really show anything) and sounds(music vise) good.

This reminds me of when I first played Link's Awakening. I was astounded at the size & complexity of the world, and the amazing, varied gameplay that managed to nearly outdo A Link to the Past with a black & white Game Boy game.

fernoca

Darunia said:

:lol :lol :lol

Sorry for derailing this..
Can anyone finally tell me, what's the story behind that cat?!
I've seen the Garfield comic and everything else..yet, I want to know why I'm laughing..

RagnarokX

Neo Child said:

Also:

screenshot_179648.jpg

It was revealed a while ago that the game goes something like this: Explore time limitted main dungeon -> find a sea chart -> use sea chart to find another island/dungeon -> find extra sand for PH -> repeat

I don't think any islands from WW will be returning. Assuming Link and Tetra didnt decide to return home for no reason in their quest to find a new large continent to settle as a new Hyrule, this game must take place pretty far from WW's settings. I'm guessing that upper screen of a map divided into 4 sectors is the entire world map for the game.

Anyway, the game looks awesome. A huge step up from when the game was first announced and it had the dungeon with 2ft-high walls :D

Top Bottom