• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Phantom Hourglass Screens

Jaagen

Damn, this game looks good. The only thing that worries me now is that the dungeons look kind of "samey". There's no real variation in the tileset.

king zell said:
news_250507_zelda6.jpg

This is my favorite image. When DS launched, I never expected this level of detail.

jarrod

Banned
Looks stunning, I imagine the animation will be real visual shocker though. Hopefully it's a step up design wise from Minish Cap, but EAD's involvement can only be a good thing really.

linkboy

I really wish Nintendo would think about adding regular controls to the game, just incase some people don't care for the Stylus controls.

The game looks fantastic, though.

ethelred

linkboy said:
I really wish Nintendo would think about adding regular controls to the game, just incase some people don't care for the Stylus controls.

Yes. Also, I think they should just put an end to this faddy DS experiment -- it's pretty clear the whole two screens / stylus control is a really bad idea for games. Hopefully the GBA2 will get announced this E3.

ziran

Looks amazing!! :D

I'm really looking forward to stylus only gameplay, I think EAD can make it work brilliantly. My most anticipated DS game, might even brave the Japanese version.

Dascu said:
There is only one big dungeon with a timelimit, namely until the hourglass runs out. You can get more sand for the hourglass by exploration, going to other islands and beating other dungeons.

I hadn't heard of this..that sounds like a good idea.

theBishop

Banned
Looks awesome... I'm more impressed by this than I was by Twilight Princess.

Rezbit said:
It just goes to show in the hands of the right developer the DS can match the PSP graphically.

Yeah.... not so much.

AniHawk said:
Cautiously optimistic about this one. On the plus side, it looks awesome and directly continues from TWW. On the negative side, stylus only (it killed Wario) and traveling in a boat.

A direct continuation of Wind Waker? Count me in!

I hope so. I also hope Mario Galaxy sells well enough that we get to see a new platformer more than twice a decade.

I completely agree. The NES and SNES were graced with several quality Mario platformer games each, and now it seems we're lucky to get one in an entire console's lifespan.

ethelred said:
Yes. Also, I think they should just put an end to this faddy DS experiment -- it's pretty clear the whole two screens / stylus control is a really bad idea for games. Hopefully the GBA2 will get announced this E3.

Huh? Sarcasm? O_O

Diablos54

ethelred said:
Be quiet, Anihawk...

agent069

Banned
news_250507_zelda7.jpg

this one looks terrible, repetitive textures FTL.

I hope there won't be much area like that. The others pix are pretty good though :)

news_250507_zelda5.jpg

So judging from this screen, is it safe to say that there's going to be a huge overworld to sail around? That'd be awesome if they managed to cram most of Wind Waker's map onto a DS cart.

theBishop

Banned
agent069 said:
news_250507_zelda7.jpg

I hope there won't be much area like that. The others pix are pretty good though :)

Give it a break dude, its a 3D DS game. The thing has less than 1MB video ram.

M3d10n

agent069 said:
news_250507_zelda7.jpg

It almost looks like it was done on purpose, like an attempt to make the dungeons look old-school by using tile-sets. But they really should throw in a few different tiles to break the repetitive look, at least around the corners and borders.

nofi

theBishop said:
Give it a break dude, its a 3D DS game. The thing has less than 1MB video ram.

And it'll be a veritable feast of textures on the other screen. :)

The game's looking fantastic. WANT.

It looks awesome! :D :D

news_250507_zelda5.jpg

I really like this new green hearts!! It really defines Link and the overall Zelda series. I hope they keep this for the future Zelda games. <<IMHO

I like.

The only Zelda game I ever made anything resembling decent headway in was Minish Cap (1 dungeon). I might buy this game when it comes out.

Eteric Rice

AniHawk said:
Nintendo didn't even keep it on shelves. And then they put ALttP under the Player's Choice logo instead. Seriously, in 2006 you couldn't find that damn game brand new anymore.

I'm still looking for Minish Cap. :(

f@luS

More than a member.
agent069 said:
news_250507_zelda7.jpg

wow crap. I though it looked good and u came. No i see only repetitive texture and it really does hurt my eye. Don...t want this pics anymore :lol

It looks ok but i wanna see it in motion, ive the feeling everything will be kinda "shaky"

Link Man

Banned
ethelred said:

:lol

Oh, and for all the nitpickers:

nothitit.jpg

Snow

Holy crap.

The art style looked really nice already for the DS when they first showed it, but it took a nice leap looks wise since then.

Blablurn

Still not a fan of it, but grafics are pretty improves. Do they changed links model a bit?
But still, I hated the Demo last year, so I hope they iomproved gameplay aswell.

Kuran

Banned
Sorry, but this is a bad example of DS polygons.. I never thought this game looked good. :/

I look at Dragon Quest 9 as good evidence that nice 3D games can be achieved on this hardware.

This looks garish... and the dungeons look like they were built with badly colour matched lego blocks.

Dr.Hadji

I'm starting to get some LA vibes from this game. Not in terms of style but how the game outpases the limitations of the system. LA can go out against any console Zelda, hopefully PHG will do the same.

theBishop

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
I'm starting to get some LA vibes from this game. Not in terms of style but how the game outpases the limitations of the system. LA can go out against any console Zelda, hopefully PHG will do the same.

I think my favorite thing about this game is that it is a return to the top-down roots. I'm sorry to Minish Cap fans, but that game should not be called "Zelda". Phantom Hourglass looks like the kind of Zelda I've wanted since Link to the Past.

I just hope the touch screen stuff isn't too obnoxious.

Fatalah

Wow, I always thought the game looked good, but it's only gotten BETTER.

Holy crap, I didn't think this was possible on the DS. Now I expect ALOT more from other developers! I can't wait to play this game!

PS-- Somebody please port a AKI wrestling game!

Top Bottom