• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Square Enix Seeking Developers for Numbered Game of “Super-Famous” RPG Series

TDLink

It's 2017 and we still don't have a new Chrono game or remake. Screw you SE.

Quite frankly, the only Chrono related news I'd like to hear is Square-Enix re-releasing the original unaltered version of Chrono Trigger for the 3DS/Switch Virtual Console. Wasn't a big fan of the changes/additions in the DS version, so having the game in its pure untouched state on the go would be pretty sublime for me.

I'd much rather have a remake of Chrono Cross than Trigger. It would benefit from it a lot more.

AmyS

At last, Agni's Philosophy / Final Fantasy XVI going into development....

But won't see the light of day until PS5 is out.

xOrCGUf.jpg

YeIUEL0.jpg

I don't really get why people want a new Chrono game so bad.

Trigger was a perfect one-off. It did everything it needed to do from gameplay to story. Cross had some strengths like the presentation but it was ultimately a bit unnecessary. It kinda shat on Trigger's story in a lot of ways.

And I don't why people would want Square-Enix of today to touch it. Most of the people who made Trigger (aka the Dream Team) have long moved on, haven't they? I recall hearing Yuji Horii in particular wasn't interested in returning to it.

IMO the people who made Trigger and Cross haved moved on, but their successors are somewhere out there. These played the Chrono games when they were young and loved them and are now adults, just like us -- except they're now game developers. There's no reason a game as good as Chrono can't ever be made again.

IMO I Am Setsuna was a decent, small step in the right direction, but that team obviously needs more experience and more... time.

oti

Banned
Final Lighting Fantasy Part Deux

A new Trilogy in the gripping tale of everyone's favourite heroine.

MilkBeard

At last, Agni's Philosophy / Final Fantasy XVI going into development....

But won't see the light of day until PS5 is out.

xOrCGUf.jpg

YeIUEL0.jpg

Lol.
I think Agni's Philosophy would be a cool game, but it's probably not going to be XVI (unless some other developer takes over the idea from BD2). It would be cool to have an Agni's Philosophy spinoff developed alongside FF XVI, though.

theofficefan99

Great if they haven't even started on XVI's concept art it ain't gonna be released until like 2022.

Unless they're smart and don't use Open World and don't waste 3.5/5 years of development canning things whilst making a new engine.

Philippo

Looking for concept artist doesn't mean the game is necessarily that early into production. They might just looking for extra manpower on secondary things.

FFXVI has definitely been into pre-production at least since last tear, maybe in some form even back in 2015.
If they're using a good engine (UE4 i reckon) and have a well organized team and a tight schedule, i am positive about this being out at the very end of the gen.

The announcement is going to be another SE thing though, they'll probably announce it this year to capitalize on FF's 30th anniversary and FFXV's success, then go for the usual long silence.

Now about the team, i think Ito is actually a pretty high possibility, with Tabata being split between FFXV content and Pc version and that other project that was teased. An ace move would be to have Yoshi-P as producer. No idea who they could pick for the other roles (character designer, writer, art director, composer), but they have a large pool so i hope they'll experiment a bit.

Really hopeful about this one: they can start fresh with a blank slate, a competent engine from the beginning, no developement hell scenario at their back like XV, and a few more years of this gen to get it out before next gen hits. Plus they got a good amount of feedback out of XV about where to go with the series, and the public image of the series is much better than the previous transition." (XIII->XV).

Don't fuck it up with your usual shenanigans SE.

MilkBeard

Looking for concept artist doesn't mean the game is necessarily that early into production. They might just looking for extra manpower on secondary things.

FFXVI has definitely been into pre-production at least since last tear, maybe in some form even back in 2015.
If they're using a good engine (UE4 i reckon) and have a well organized team and a tight schedule, i am positive about this being out at the very end of the gen.

The announcement is going to be another SE thing though, they'll probably announce it this year to capitalize on FF's 30th anniversary and FFXV's success, then go for the usual long silence.

Now about the team, i think Ito is actually a pretty high possibility, with Tabata being split between FFXV content and Pc version and that other project that was teased. An ace move would be to have Yoshi-P as producer. No idea who they could pick for the other roles (character designer, writer, art director, composer), but they have a large pool so i hope they'll experiment a bit.

Really hopeful about this one: they can start fresh with a blank slate, a competent engine from the beginning, no developement hell scenario at their back like XV, and a few more years of this gen to get it out before next gen hits. Plus they got a good amount of feedback out of XV about where to go with the series, and the public image of the series is much better than the previous transition." (XIII->XV).

At this point, Luminous is complete and I think capable of handling FF XVI. But the devs have a lot of options now. It will be interesting to see what they choose.

FF XV is a beautiful game with a lot of good tech, especially since they developed it in 4 years. I think a lot of people on gaf are mistaken to think that the engine is a mess.

BaasRed

Banned
Yall crazy if you think an obscure title like Chrono Trigger is gonna get another installment. This is totally about Kramer's Hentai Adventure and we all know it.

Fraxin

If Ito is handling the project, then I would expect a return to fantasy. With the art being handled by Hideo Minaba maybe. Yoshi-p would be good as a producer, if there is something that he did well with FFXIV is that he gave Soken a chance to compose a FF game and he did an excellent job. And imagine them using Luminous again.

LAA

Hmm, FF/Chrono seem the most likely.
Want to say TWEWY, but probably not that famous.

Not really interested in Agni's Philosophy becoming a game either, so I hope it's not that... The concept doesn't grab me like FFXV did anyway.

Philippo

At this point, Luminous is complete and I think capable of handling FF XVI. But the devs have a lot of options now. It will be interesting to see what they choose.

FF XV is a beautiful game with a lot of good tech, especially since they developed it in 4 years. I think a lot of people on gaf are mistaken to think that the engine is a mess.

Yeah Luminous is definitely complete now, but it feels like Tabata's team is still perfectioning it (like the Nvidia presentation from a few days ago). Probably also making it easier to use for all purposes.
I feel like that team will keep working with it with their next project as the "first" title developed from the ground up with Luminous, and only then SE will make it the de facto engine for all intnernal AAA projects.

But XVI? I think they'll stick with UE4. It's faster, easier to use, more complete atm. Standing by SE Ceo's words from a while back, they don't want to repeat the gap between XIII and XV. Hence, till Luminous isn't 100% usable by everyone, they'll use UE4 on XVI to get it out before the end of the gen imho.

If Ito is handling the project, then I would expect a return to fantasy. With the art being handled by Hideo Minaba maybe. Yoshi-p would be good as a producer, if there is something that he did well with FFXIV is that he gave Soken a chance to compose a FF game and he did an excellent job. And imagine them using Luminous again.

If i can dream a bit, my ideal team would be
Producer: Naoki Yoshida
Director/Lead Combat designer: Ito
Character Designer: Yuki Matsuzawa
Art Director: Kamikokuryo
Composer: Sakimoto
Writer: Kazutoyo Maehiro (if too busy with XIV, then Daisuke Watanabe)
Event director: Jun Akiyama

Fraxin

Yeah Luminous is definitely complete now, but it feels like Tabata's team is still perfectioning it (like the Nvidia presentation from a few days ago). Probably also making it easier to use for all purposes.
I feel like that team will keep working with it with their next project as the "first" title developed from the ground up with Luminous, and only then SE will make it the de facto engine for all intnernal AAA projects.

But XVI? I think they'll stick with UE4. It's faster, easier to use, more complete atm. Standing by SE Ceo's words from a while back, they don't want to repeat the gap between XIII and XV. Hence, till Luminous isn't 100% usable by everyone, they'll use UE4 on XVI to get it out before the end of the gen imho.

Great team, except that I don't know why you want Watanabe if Maehiro is too busy. Watanabe was the scenario writer for FFXIII trilogy.

Not a huge fan of Sakimoto. I hope Uematsu handles the OST or maybe for once Mitsuda ( that is if he does a good job with XC2).

Id add Minaba with Kamikokuryo as art directors.

Yuki has some nice art pieces, wondering if she can also be a good character designer. If it's possible I'd like Kazuya Takahashi to handle the character designs.

At this point, giving it to Platinum is the only way we're going to see FFXVI before, like, 2028. Let them start work on it now and they'll probably beat FFVII Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 to market.

H3xum

Curious to as why so many people think it'll be a FF game. Don't you think they learned their lesson announcing too early?

DKHF

Curious to as why so many people think it'll be a FF game. Don't you think they learned their lesson announcing too early?
Why does hiring people now indicate they are announcing it early? Guerrilla Games/Sony was hiring people for Horizon 4 years before the game was announced. Job recruitment postings aren't the same as announcing a game.

I know Square Enix love announcing games way too early (so it's plausible they will with this) but this isn't evidence that they are doing that with this game.

extralite

Most encouraging thing about the timing is that most of SE's bad directors seem to be busy at the moment... Oh right, what's Toriyama up to nowadays?

The last thing he was credited for (I think) was as director for the second Mobius x FFVIIR collaboration event (Japan only), earlier this year. Those usually don't even get credits, so he could have been the director of Mobius proper since the beginning. Mobius is still ongoing so he should be busy?

FinalAres

The last thing he was credited for (I think) was as director for the second Mobius x FFVIIR collaboration event (Japan only), earlier this year. Those usually don't even get credits, so he could have been the director of Mobius proper since the beginning. Mobius is still ongoing so he should be busy?

Yep, they announced Mobius was his in January, looks like he's been directing it all along. Which was kind of obvious from looking at the game. All of FFXIIIs weaknesses were present in full force in Mobius.

So yeah thank god he's busy.

Ito isn't though...

FinalAres

Is Ito involved with the FFXII remaster? Wonder if he has the bandwidth for that plus FFXVI.

He's only supervising, he's essentially a consultant. From the interviews you can see the level of involvement he's had and its not enough to fill his time by a long shot.

In a recent interview the directors were asked what Ito was up to and they laughed and said it was a secret.

Now you can read that any way, and tbh I think they would have reacted that way if you'd asked 4 years ago when he wasn't apparently working on something (although I think he was working on something that got cancelled), but its certainly possible he's getting started with XVI. He's got the creds.

MilkBeard

Yeah, that makes sense. I think BD 2 will continue perfecting it, and I believe they mentioned that they now have to focus on training other teams to use the engine if they decide to do so. Either way, I'd love to see BD2 make more games with it.

Top Bottom