• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone lost enthusiasm for specific game platforms?

MoonFrog

Hmmm....generally I like the feel of a new console but I don't get too deeply in love. A nice interface helps. I liked 360 at launch and recently PS4 felt really clean to me when I got it.

I did love the SNES, the GCN, and now the Switch.

I also loved the original PS.

So it has always been off/on with me and software love has always been much much bigger.

Xbox.I just don't currently have any reason to use it as I've a very capable pc along with Ps4 and Switch.Even my older Xbox consoles and games I don't touch anymore,and I'm always playing retro stuff...just not Xbox

ghostjoke

Banned
Owning 360/PS3 killed it for me. Every time I had to switch over to one, I kept wondering what purpose they had for existing other than holding games hostage, especially when I was using the exact same input device. XB1/PS4 lacked the jump compared to previous gens and now with half-gen, there are way too many things similar to the aspects I dislike about PC creeping in with very few or mediocre versions of the positives.

Nintendo at least try and justify their hardware. For all its faults with controls, the Wii felt like its own thing and a console through and through. Lukewarm on the WiiU, but I see a place for the Switch as a pure console due to its portability. I'd still prefer the ability to crank up the games on a PC, but it's got a better argument that the other two.

I've barely touched my PS4 since I got a Switch. With the portability, why would I?

Same here, I have two expired ps+ subs now, and honestly am contemplating just selling off the PS4s and keeping the one Pro for exclusives.

My wife and kids love their switch and so do I, between that and PC and the stupid $140 ps+ renewal staring at me I'm not feeling Sony much more.

kromeo

I haven't turned the xbox one on for over a years and outside of getting the urge to replay Tales of Vesperia or Lost Odyssey I don't think I ever will again

I've barely touched my PS4 since I got a Switch. With the portability, why would I?

I knew this was going to be the first comment as soon as I saw the thread title, this forum is so predictable atm

With the death of the 3DS, Nintendo almost does not exist to me. 3DS is dead to me because there isn't a single game in the near or far future coming out on it that I would buy and I'm about to sell mine.

I still think the Switch can easily go the way of the WiiU because the WiiU had a ton of excitement around it when it first came out and well, we know how that turned out.

I own every console this gen. If I could go back, I'd take every penny which went into PS and Xbox shit, and keep it. I am just plain not a fan of their consoles anymore. Not when it takes half a generation for the good exclusives to show up. I'll just game on PC instead.

PantsuJo

I have completely lost interest in smartphone gaming.
Me too.

The platform simply doesn't work for me: the touch input, the screen size, the large amount of micro transactions in lots of games...

I can't go back, despite my efforts in the last 2 years.

Edit:
I knew this was going to be the first comment as soon as I saw the thread title, this forum is so predictable atm
Lol I agree

petran79

Banned
Sony and Microsoft take success for granted since they have money to spare. They are not even trying anymore. While Nintendo face an identity crisis.

Dreamcast was the peak really. Sega infused their last life drop on that console.

Still keep that old chap near the laptop.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

To play the many games Switch lacks and will never have.

Anyways for me PC really took the wind out of my sails when it comes to consoles. I barely touch my PS4, and have actually missed out on Plus freebies because I didn't think about it or didn't feel like turning the system on.
My Xbox is no more now that they offer buy anywhere. Made no sense to hold onto it.
Even Switch hasn't rekindled things much. It's a great piece of hardware, but we're in the early stages where there's too few games.

Even then I'd prefer to put my money aside for PC upgrades over anything pertaining to consoles.

Chao

Loved my Xbox 360 last gen, but Xbox one -and scorpio for that matter- doesn't look all that appealing to me.

Don't care about Forza or halo which apparently is the only thing that Microsoft cares about lately, so unless they start pumping out new fun IPS in the future there's absolutely no reason for me to even consider Xbox as a platform, owning a PS4 pro and a Switch covers everything I'll ever need.

I won't buy a new console only to have the same multiplats as the competition and LESS exclusives, seems dumb.

I absolutely despise my PS3 now.

Like I can't even look at it anymore. If there's a PS4 port available, I sell the PS3 version and buy it on PS4.

Did it for Devil May Cry 4, MvC3, DmC and I'm about to do it for Dragon's Dogma

I feel like this. The PS3 is just horrible, bad controller, bad UI, slow, loud. Even though I've got a stack of PS3 games I'd idly like to play at some point in the future.

Fbh

Nah.

I actually have to constantly remind myself that right now there is literally only one game on the Switch that I want and that waiting for some good bundles later on or maybe even a hardware revision is smarter.

Nintendo became pretty irrelevant to me after the GC, the majority of their IP doesn't interest me and their hardware is ridiculously overpriced.
MS haven't grabbed me this gen with the Bone, last gen was a lock with better ports and the cheaper price point. With their focus being on releasing games for the Bone and on PC I doubt i'll ever see a point in investing in the XBOX platform again.
I've not bothered with my PS4 for a while now and most multi-plat games I seem to favour my PC recently, paying for online can fuck off too.
My Vita has weathered the storm its my go to device at the moment despite being dead.

So Sony seems to be in my favours currently but im slowly swaying more towards PC with Sony handhelds being now defunct.

AllGamer

Nintendo. The Wii U is going to be my last Nintendo console. Their hardware is always underpowered and it's just not worth it anymore to buy their systems for just a few exclusive games.

tzare

Because most of ps4 games aren't available on switch?

On topic. I've lost faith in Nintendo. I'd buy a switch, but i just do not trust them anymore. Maybe the future will change things, but I'm waiting for now.

sublimit

Banned
My consoles were always the tools necessary to experience the games i wanted the way i wanted.Nothing more,nothing less.This hasn't changed since the 90's and i don't think it will ever change.

I used to check Xbox E3 and news, Phils threads lol etc...Too late in the gen now with an already huge back log of good games to play. Don't like the direction they are going in and have been more than happy with a PS4 and Switch.

teeny

I don't tend to get really enthused by the platforms or hardware. I mean, it's obviously great when the hardware is solid, functional and aesthetically good but, beyond that, I don't really feel anything. It's all about that games and, to that end, I've never owned a platform that I have not enjoyed using.

I do tend to go through bouts of using a certain console. Like others have mentioned, I'm currently on a Switch kick and have neglected my PS4. Occasional I'll play through five or so PS3 games in my backlog or revert to the GBA for a month or so, stuff like that.

I'm done with consoles and PC. Slow as fuck, restricted by space etc.

I'm handheld only and love it <3

3ds, psvita and switch for life haha!

nkarafo

Yeah, consoles in general. After having a good experience with gaming PCs i can't go back to them, even if they have a few good exclusives.

I'm personally done with Sony. I've realized that I don't have fun with their 1st party titles, and since gaming is about enjoyment, why continue paying for a platform in which I find no joy? For the first year ever, I will not watch nor even pay attention to anything Sony has going on at e3. I traded my ps4 in for a Switch and have not looked back or wished that I hadn't once

Emhemed

3DS. I like it when handheld games are simple and in 2D, but on the 3DS games have become more complex and 3 dimensional and I can't concentrate on a small screen.

120v

PC sapped that "christmas eve" sort of hype whenever a new console pops up. i'm still a sucker for shiny new hardware but it isn't particularly a gateway to next gen gaming greatness it was 10 or 15 years ago

iswasdoes

After halo underdelivered, I pretty much retired my xbox one, which had really only been a destiny machine till that point (which i also tired of)

Might go back to play gears which ive never played, but major fall from grace after I was 360 exclusive foro 7th gen

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I lost interest in anything home since the PSP
I don't trust Sony after the very early abandon of Vita

cuube

Neo Member
Lost interest in Wii after a strong start with it.

More recently I lost interest in XBONE due to it being essentially the same as PS4 for my uses.

Peltz

I've only really felt that for Nintendo systems. My Sony/Microsoft consoles just feel like "vessels to play games" as stated by the OP.

Nintendo systems, to me, always have a bit more of a personality and I tend to connect with the hardware aesthetics a bit more.

hotcyder

Probably at the tail-end of the 360/PS3 era. Didn't buy into either a PS4 or Xbox One. Slowly regretting my Switch purchase till they drop a few more exclusives too.

Everything I'm interested in is on PC for the most part, and my machine doesn't struggle too much with running it (despite costing around 400£ to build around 3 years ago)

However, I am rekindling to my 3DS again - now that some games are a little older and affordable, I'm finally trying Link between Worlds post BOTW.

Xbox one for sure. Mine's been packed up in its box for over a year. Last great Microsoft exclusive was Sunset Overdrive and with no follow up to that in sight or any great games that aren't available on the PS4 as well, it hasn't done itself any favors to me. Even if the heavens parted and we got a sequel to Sunset, chances are it'd also be available on Win10 thereby negating the reason to own a Microsoft console.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

After a long sabbatical, Nintendo had me with the Wii, and then promptly lost me again.

It's not just how overpriced and underpowered everything of theirs is lately, I also don't dig the brands that everyone else seemingly goes loopy for. Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Pokemon for example do nothing for me, and they're becoming increasingly tied to those brands with endless sequels and spin-offs, while failing to put enough money behind big-budget new IPs. As a company they seem to be catering more and more to their fanbase, and I feel distanced from them as a result.

Sizzel

Yup - I too remember going banana about new consoles. The better graphics, the great looking new games using new tech. I remember going from 2d-3d and the bit run up. The super nintendo was the high point for me. I peaked at 10 years old lol.

I realized I was all about better graphics and new tech, FPS, resolution etc.. so I went PC around end of PS3 era and full bore into it around 1st year or so of PS4. I still have consoles for the awesome exclusives, but they are pretty lame tech wise.

New console fervor has been replaced by NVIDIA GPU releases.

Top Bottom