• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone lost enthusiasm for specific game platforms?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Just Nintendo in general.

I wanted to play 3D World, had a Wii U since launch...just no desire to get the game.

Now....I beg that it gets ported to the Switch...lol.

Ever since the N64 I've been losing enthusiasm for Nintendo. The game prices played a part in it. Somehow I got caught up in the Wii craze and had a boatload of games for it.

Still interested in the Switch tho. Hope it changes my mind.

EhoaVash

After a long sabbatical, Nintendo had me with the Wii, and then promptly lost me again.

It's not just how overpriced and underpowered everything of theirs is lately, I also don't dig the brands that everyone else seemingly goes loopy for. Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Pokemon for example do nothing for me, and they're becoming increasingly tied to those brands with endless sequels and spin-offs, while failing to put enough money behind big-budget new IPs. As a company they seem to be catering more and more to their fanbase, and I feel distanced from them as a result.

Lol Nintendo lost me with the wii with how much minigame collections they released, how much shovelware, etc, but they totally got me back with the Wii U/3ds because of this, focusing more and catering on what the fanbase likes ie more Fire emblem, etc

anyway op i know how you feel, the switch doesn't feel like "new tech" to me yet like how the wii first did, or how much of a beast the ps4 originally felt like to me.

The Wii was a big Nintendo disappointment that killed all interest I had in that platform. Except for the original Wii Sports, the motion controls were more hype than fun. I also just outgrew Nintendo style games. They are good enough that I'd buy one if they were on a platform I already own, but I won't buy a console just to play them.

I loved the 360 and thought for sure I'd be in the Xbox camp for life. The horrible XB1 rollout and poor hardware relative to the PS4 made me very reluctantly go for the PS4 at launch. Now I surprisingly find myself ambivalent to the XB1 exclusives this gen. I simply have little desire to play Halo and Gears. Xbox is in the same boat as Nintendo. I wouldn't mind playing their games but will not by their hardware to do so.

I owned the PS3 but was 2 seconds away from giving up on PlayStation last gen. However it had just enough exclusive games I liked, and worked well enough as a media center that I didn't regret buying it. The PS4 felt like the default best choice this gen, but to be honest gaming felt like going through the motions. I'm just not into the trend in online games with progression, and popular annualized single player games like Assassin's Creed don't interest me.

But boy oh boy has PlayStation made a comeback. I LOVED Horizon: Zero Dawn and the upcoming games I'm most interested in are exclusive PlayStation titles like Days Gone, God of War, and even Detroit. With all platforms now requiring paid subscriptions to best use them, I'm a single platform owner for the first time in my life and for the foreseeable future. Anything could change, but I am very happy with PlayStation and see no reason to change that.

I didn't necessarily lose enthusiasm with PS4, but I have lost enthusiasm of being tethered to the TV. I took off a week from work when Zelda came to play through it and spent 50/50 in docked/handheld mode and it was very convenient, especially with kids and never really being able to be stationary. After that, I've played through 4 or so Switch titles with the most hours going into Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ because the rogue-like aspect combined with portability just clicked with me and before I knew it I had 150+ hours into it (90/10 portable/docked). I see the same trajectory with MK8D which I played a lot on Wii U, but nowhere near the time I already put into the Switch version. Having the option is just great.

I've played through Nioh, a bit of Nier, and am in the last legs of Persona 5, but man, playing a 100 hour RPG where I needed to be stationary really knocked home the convenience of the hybrid model.

Triteon

Honestly I don't give a shit about where I play any particular game. I used to care a little and I had types of games i'd only exclusively play on a specific platform but as I've gotten older I care less and less. I still have preferences obviously for example I have controller preference (xbox) but the DS4 it pretty great too, as is the Switch pro. For single player games I'll generally use an xbox controller with my PC.

I no longer have much enthusiasm for new console releases. I know I was excited for PS4 and Xbone but since then It's felt like i've bought them out of habit. I bought a PRO, because I wanted the best version of PS4 exclusives and feel kind of dumb for doing so. The two games released so far this year I've played on PS4 didn't even have PRO support (P5 and Yakuza).

I bought a switch thinking it'd be my travel companion but I used it on the way to Bali last week and it was a disappointment. Its just too big to use comfortably in economy, and you cant detach the cons in flight mode.

I've completely lost faith in Microsoft, they've ruined and passed up too many opportunities for me to believe my money and time is well spent in their ecosystem, and no beefier specs on future consoles will change that. I don't care about specs, I care about games, and that's something Microsoft simply doesn't seem to understand, or want to understand. They've been nothing but a huge disappointment this gen. I had been playing Xbox exclusively since the very first one when I was just a kid, but now I've moved on to PC and PS4, and soon probably Switch.

Guardians

Banned
I sold my XBox One S after getting the Nintendo Switch. I really like Microsoft, but I decided that one videogame console is enough and I would always go with Nintendo in the end because I grew up with Nintendo :)

KORNdoggy

nintendo about 3 gens ago, they just never grew up with me.
xbox this gen. because i find it hard to find time for more than one system these days.

Waji

Playstation was losing my interest pretty hard with the PS3 and even though some big games I'd like to play finally came out on the PS4, I just can't be moved to care. Playstation peaked at the PS2 for me.
More or less the same for me. I loved so many games on PS1 and 2 but then it just stopped and now I find more satisfaction from Nintendo first party games.
And the recent Nintendo consoles have something different.
I never really cared about the consoles themselves.
As you say, it just was boxes that can play games.
I'm ok playing with a classic pad but I much more enjoy the freedom of joycons for example.

Skronk

Banned
I don't really like my PS4 anymore, I've never really been into any Sony system. I guess I just don't really like their design philosophy or exclusive games but people said it was better than Xbox One so here I am.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Even though I have a PS4 Pro and Xbone with plenty of games, I hardly ever use them. PC is where it's at right now.

Novocaine

PlayStation kind of, I'm sick of discs ejecting. I haven't gone back to Persona 5 and kind of feel no desire to because of the chance I'll lose hours of progress. I'm also still a little bitter on the way they handled the Vita.

I absolutely despise my PS3 now.

Like I can't even look at it anymore. If there's a PS4 port available, I sell the PS3 version and buy it on PS4.

Did it for Devil May Cry 4, MvC3, DmC and I'm about to do it for Dragon's Dogma

LOL this is me. When the PS4 came out, the 3 was hot garbage.

Playstation doesn't interest me at all. Only thing I wanted to play was PT, got to do that last weekend, it was everything I had hoped for.

XBOX One S still looks interesting though. But with how much I'm out and about, the Switch is king with portability.

I played a game on my X1 for what feels like the first time in forever. The bulk of my gaming has been on PS4, mostly because it has the games I want to play.

I lost interest in Nintendo's right after the N64 generation, I felt like the franchises I loved were getting pulled in weird directions, but Nintendo is on the up and up for me in interest these days with some fresh ips and solid games.

I just don't know that I'll ever jump in with how expensive there evergreens are, and sadly that's all I'd want their consoles for. They really priced me out.

MazeHaze

Banned
I used to be a Sony fanboy. I hated xbox and took pleasure in how bad the xbox one reveal was. I also hated Nintendo and took pleasure in going to Wii U forums in 2013 to laugh at all of the "just wait until smash and kart come out, wii u is gonna break sales records!"

Then I got a PC, and now I just love everything. It took the focus off of battles for exclusives and timed DLCs and made me focus strictly on games. Now I play PS4 just for exclusives, and I bought a Switch. Hell I'd buy an xbox one if Msoft wasn't bringing all their games to PC already.

X1 and Switch.

X1 was going to be an exclusive machine this gen and it just doesn't have anything I give a shit about on it yet. I sold mine a few months ago, and I do plan on getting a Scorpio if only for enhanced backwards compatibility with 360 games, but I need to see some good exclusives as well.

Switch is a weird one, it's a combination of it not really having any games as it is also an exclusive machine but it's new so that's forgivable obviously. However, I got it for the chance of playing games that would normally be on handhelds to play on my tv. That will probably happen eventually but since I couldn't give a shit about the portability aspect of it, it kind of sucks that docked mode seems to be gimped with a lot of stuff at the moment so it's just collecting dust until they address that.

MaDKaT

Was pretty firmly in Sony camp from the beginning and up until Neo was basically confirmed but not announced. Ditched my PS4 to build a PC and VR(Vive) and havent been back. I may get a PS4 eventually for some exclusives, probably God of War. Certainly watching the Switch and will jump if it is ever cracked like the PSP/Vita. MS did well for me this gen and put the series I want on PC. Overall my enthusiasm for consoles has diminished a lot and I can easily see myself sitting out the rest of this gen.

LKSmash

I switched from 360 to PS3 last gen midway through to get at their exclusives and have a blu ray player. Aside from TLOU and The Show (of all things), turns out I don't care for their exclusives at all. Came back to Xbox this gen and been pretty happy about it.

Definitely my PS4. Last gen I played just about everything on 360 until I tried the other side with the PS3 slim. Once I got to that point, PS+ and the variety of single player experiences made me switch over fully.

This gen I started with PS4 but just can't find enthusiasm for it anymore. I don't have many friends who play games on PS4 so it feels silly to pay for online. PS+ hasn't offered many games that I'm interested in and games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon don't feel like games I need on day one. I'll hold onto it so I can buy first party exclusives once they go on sale, but otherwise my wife and I use it for streaming/blu rays primarily.

occelinho

I lost all interest in pc gaming a few years ago.

If it wasn't for the Switch that would also be true for Nintendo platforms, but I'm actually really interested in the Switch. Just waiting for a price drop and more games.

Mine would have to be the switch. I use to buy portables but they just aren't conducive to my lifestyle. If I'm at home I'm not playing a portable and I drive to work. So there is no time during my commute. I have a 3ds and Vita both with a plethora of games I've never even opened the box for.

Gator86

They've always just been boxes you play games on. That said, I'm always willing to buy a PlayStation. It's never a question of whether it will get support, be abandoned early, have great exclusives, etc. They've had the best library of games each gen they've been around. Sony consoles are the most reliable thing in gaming but I don't think enthusiasm is a good descriptor for it. It's just a reliable brand of box to play games on.

The first one that came to mind for me was the 360.

The first couple years I had it I played a ton, but then around late 2008 when the updated dashboard came out I kind of just stopped using it much. I think that was around the time I got my second red ring of death, and I got frustrated with it. Ended up using my PS3 and Wii way more that gen.

Of course the 360 didn't get completely unused. I still played Mass Effect on it, and when the matte slim 360 came out I bought one and retired my original one. Backwards compatibility on the X1 has made me play through quite a few more 360 games too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My switch has been collecting dust for a outside 2 months now. I thought Zelda was bad, have no interest in playing MK again and the rest of the library has been underwhelming. I was excited enough to buy this when it was available but now I just wish I waited a bit. Doesn't help that I've spent like 600+ hours playing games from 2017 on my PS4 so far

Nintendo were pretty much dead to me before the Switch, and I only have a Switch because someone bought it for me as a gift. I generally don't have much time for Nintendo. I feel as though they don't listen to their fans, they often make weird stuff that no one asked for, and leave popular franchises for dead because they aren't Mario titles.

antibolo

Banned
The Switch has convinced me that I no longer care about home consoles. Nowadays I can't stop feeling like playing video games at home is a waste of time that could be spent doing something more productive and/or creative.

eXistor

I've never been much of a fan of the Xbox brand, never appealed to me. I have all three systems though, but that's because I love videogames and I can't very well miss out on cool exclusives. I really dislike the overall look and feel of the systems.

That happened to me with Sony when I got the PS3. Loved the PS2 but the PS3 did very little for me and ended up becoming my least favorite system of all time. It soured me so much that I honestly didn't wanna get a PS4 for the longest but, eventually, I ended up getting one and, despite not loving it, I do like it. It already has more games I like and am interested in than the PS3 ever did and I have yet to get every game that interests me

I've also lost my enthusiasm for the 3DS but that's more to do with the fact that it feels like such a downgrade to the Switch, based off of what I've tried out, and I've owned it for so long that I just wanna move on to newer hardware

Bulby

Havnt touched my PS4 since the Switch.

Part of it is the tv being in the bedroom and my GF needing to get up super early for work. But I have never owned a hand held and I am completely in love with the concept. I want EVERY game like this. Graphics be damned.

Copper

I've barely touched my PS4 since I got a Switch. With the portability, why would I?

Same my PS4 has been collecting dust lately since P5. My Switch has been getting a lot of use and I imagine will continue with Disgaea 5, ARMS, and Splatoon 2 coming out. What's on the plate for PS4 in the upcoming months?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nintendo: lost me with the Wii release.

Xbox: lost me after that utter shitshow reveal this gen. Also not a fan of their heavy gaas push.

PC & Playstation: still got me baby.

Xbox coming from a lifelong fan. I finally sold my Xbox 4 months after Quantum Break & have been waiting for a reason to get a new one. Then switch came along and stole its spot in my home. The focus on GaaS & stale franchises I could care less at this moment.

PC. I've played on PC for most of my life and for a time was big into overclocking and tinkering but now, having gotten a PS3 a couple of years ago and a 2DS this year I've really lost a lot of enthusiasm for it, where before I was PC-only and didn't see the need to branch out. Two reasons mainly: namely Steam's poor achievements system (I *love* the Playstation trophies and they're more nicely done than Steam's), and also the constant focus on performance and upgrading. I by habit keep a framecounter running when I play on PC, but don't think about things like that when it comes to the PS3 or 2DS. Plus the reclining chair and TV are more comfortable than the PC. I'm still keeping it and not going to sell it or anything because it's still way too useful for CRPGs, visual novels and multiplats as well as other non-gaming things, but my heart isn't really there right now. I just want to be able to play the games I want to play, wherever they may be and I've learned the lesson that sticking to one platform is limiting myself too much.

Non portable systems. This is a byproduct of the fun I've had with the PS3 and then the 2DS. Since there's only 1 TV it means I can't play when others want to use it, so I've had situations where I've lost progress (1h30m in Persona 4 :( ) thanks to having to quit without warning. The thing though, is that being portable eliminates that and also makes it possible to play while in the car, waiting in line, or even doing things like cooking, and that + sleep mode make it easy to chip through long games - helpful since I like RPGs quite a lot. It's made me greatly appreciate a system that is portable and, again, I wonder why I didn't look into them several years ago.

The only platform I've lost a bit of enthusiasm for is PC and that's less the platform and more my timing/relaxation/setup situation.

While I love to tinker, I don't have the time for it as much as I used to, so I've been opting to go for the PS4 version of games in instances where it's not much of an issue. I still go for the PC version in situations that definitely warrant it (e.g. Prey) but I certainly am not using my PC to its fullest potential.

Actually, the Switch made me realise that I really love Nintendo. I'm 46, don't have much spare time to spend. I'm really thinking to go 'Nintendo only'.

I actually did not believe this day would come, but my interest in most games on other platform ( indies and some gems aside ) seems to be fading. Tbh... PS4 and XboxOne do not have the same impact on me as PS3 and Xbox360 once did.

The further I get into my career, the less time I have, the more worried I get about older games and the ability to play them. I can't get rid of my PS2 or PS3 or N64 or Wii U or any of the others because there are still games on them that I want to play. My enthusiasm for consoles in general is fading simply due to the fact that PC gives me access to so much. PC can definitely be a hassle from time to time (latest Windows 10 anniversary update messed up my connection to my TV and I had to reinstall the NVIDIA driver), but it's worth it.

The fact that I could sell literally all of my PC hardware, then build another in a few years and still have access to my games on Steam, GOG, and hard disc is enough to make me want to completely end my ties with consoles. I plan on making the PS4 and the Wii U my last consoles. At least, if I get any more consoles in the future I won't be keeping them.

RetroMG

My Xbox One is basically a glorified Netflix machine. I'd sell it and use my PS4 for Netflix instead, but the voice commands through the Kinect are really useful for watching TV while feeding/changing/playing with a baby.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've largely lost enthusiasm for my gaming PC I bought last spring (2016).

It's great for cheap indies and older games, but I mostly play recent AAA stuff and it's just hard to justify buying those digitally on PC vs. buying physically with the 20% GCU discount and selling after beating since I don't collect and rarely replay anything.

That said, I don't super regret getting it as I needed a new PC with decent specs for working at home so I probably spent at most $200 more (and probably less) than what I would have paid for a PC with out a gaming GPC. I game on it enough to justify that cost. Also nice to have access to MS first party stuff without needing an Xbox.

But I'm definitely much more invested in my PS4 and Switch and will continue to do most of my gaming there both due to the price reason and that Sony and Nintendo first party games are my favorite games.

liquidversus

Neo Member
I've been with Xbox for years and spent countless hours investing in their platform - either achievement hunting, playing with friends on Live, or playing big RPGs - but with MS' focus on multiplayer/live service games and a major lack of narrative-driven 1P games, I've totally given up on the platform. I've got a PS4 Pro that's got pleeeeenty for me to play.

Games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, for example, would never get the greenlight from Microsoft. Love the box, but I want MS to have the Uncharteds and Horizons for their system. Sounds like it'll never happen.

Top Bottom