• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone lost enthusiasm for specific game platforms?

It took me a while, but I eventually realized that I only collect games on Steam and rarely play them. That's more an issue of me not understanding that low cost isn't enough of an incentive to actually play a game.

I hear you. Sometimes it even has the opposite effect. You've paid so little for a game you don't place any value on it so are less motivated to play it.

I still get excited about trying new hardware, but I'm like that with all electronics. As for being feverish about the Switch, it hasn't resonated to that extent with me, either. I just play games where they're technically best or exclusively available. Once the excitement over new hardware dies down, they're just devices that let me play games.

Atomski

I just care about games and am an adult with limited time.. just no urge to own a console anymore I have so many games I love to play on PC that a console would just collect dust. Even on PC I have no loyalties I will buy games where they have the best deals.

I hate to say it, but I'm kinda over my Vita. I get the appreciative fire back sometimes when I go to reorganize my collection, and think about what I'd sell off to bring it down to a cool 40 or 50 titles... and I still love picking up great LRG releases that I actually want. If some shmups only release in Asia or Japan, I'll probably get those too.

Haven't been commuting as much. I'm pretty beat when I get to bed now, and don't have much energy to play some Vita in bed before I doze off. I'm already dozing off.

I'm all about this PS4 Pro and this Samsung KS8000... and I buy about 2 or 3 4K UHD bluray movies a month now too, so that's what I want to be looking at and doing with my time. The current gen backlog is pulling me in this direction, and I want to prioritize picking up stuff for PS4.

Surprisingly, Microsoft removing the snap feature from Xbox One has really decreased how much I use it now. If I'm not going to be able to keep TV snapped while I play, then I might as well play on my PS4 Pro for a better overall experience.

I hear you. Sometimes it even has the opposite effect. You've paid so little for a game you don't place any value on it so are less motivated to play it.

This happened a while back for me and i realized buying 30-40 games in steam sales did nothing for me. Stopped buying humble bundles as well just because they were cheap. If i want somehting i just buy it at full price now and play it.

I've pretty much stopped playing on handhelds...my 3DS, Vita, and PSP aren't used often. And when I do feel like playing on one, it's either not charged, and/or doesn't have a game in there that I feel like playing, and then get too lazy to find said game's cartridge

3DS.

I own a lot of games for it. I bought OG, XL and N3DS XL. Eventually, I just reached a point where the system just felt too dated. I just got sick of the ugly pixelly 240p next to my Vita, my phone, my tablet and my laptop.

Vita and 3DS are about as old but my Vita feels infinitely more playable. Everything is moves and looks crisp.

Pachinko

I've been falling out of love with the xbox brand since 2010 ... Scorpio looks to be a solid attempt at getting it all back on track and I hope it takes because competition is good.

Oh and handhelds... I keep buying the damn things but the lover affair ends sooner and sooner each time. Haven't really truly loved a new handheld since the original PSP came out. That thing was amazing in 2005 ... but the Vita and 3DS despite some great games just haven't gotten much use from me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hardware is a frustrating and expensive means to an end, and except insofar as first parties perform expensive welfare in funding money-losing projects that third parties wouldn't, I'd generally prefer if hardware was commoditized and consoles did not exist.

Rizific

Since the announcement of play anywhere, I just couldn't give a shit about Xbox anymore. Playstation rarely excites me these days too.

oSoLucky

I just play specific games. The various systems are just a means to an end.

Same here. I don't really love any systems as much as I may love their libraries.

But switch has better port begging.

Flash in the pan. PS4 and (especially)PC are the veterans around these parts. In about 2 more years we can maybe put the Switch in that talk. Bonus points if first party games start getting begged a la Bloodborne and Bayonetta 2.

Anteater

I can't really say I was ever enthusiastic for any of them, I just buy whatever that has the games I want to play...

Crayon

I haven't been excited by a new console in a long ass time, op. You just see them come and go a few times and it's more or less gone. Switch got me pretty amped actually, so it's possible to touch that again.

Anyhow it's okay because the games keep progressing up as the endless line of new boxes keep tumbling down.

My PS4

So much so I sold it.

I'll buy it again when there's either 10 exclusives I want to play. (Sat at about 5 right now)

Or sub 100

Loving my switch though.

My Xbox one is effectively just a tall roku. I can't remember the last time I played an actual game on it

I also don't get all the adamant love for the switch. It's not a disaster like the Wii u (which I also bought day 1), but it's not some revelatory new gaming experience. Using it in tabletop mode fucking sucks, sideways joycons are the worst, most uncomfortable first party controllers I've ever used.

RPGam3r

Liked Xbox, loves the 360, and bought and sold my One despite wanting to love it. I don't think I've ever sold a console mid gen in my 30yrs of gaming.

I didn't care much for the GameCube/Wii, PS2/3/4, Xbox/360/One and DS, PSP, Vita, but I still get excited by the right platforms. 3DS and Switch in particular I've been really happy with. Wii U less so but I still had a lot of great times with it. I don't think I felt more excitement with the older systems from my childhood (basically started with SNES and Game Boy) than with the 3DS, Wii U and Switch. I did grow bored with the industry at large as I'm not really into photorealistic stuff and shooters, but Nintendo games and systems are just as good or better than they were at the time.

RPGam3r

My Xbox one is effectively just a tall roku. I can't remember the last time I played an actual game on it

I also don't get all the adamant love for the switch. It's not a disaster like the Wii u (which I also bought day 1), but it's not some revelatory new gaming experience. Using it in tabletop mode fucking sucks, sideways joycons are the worst, most uncomfortable first party controllers I've ever used.

You may not get the love bc the things you think are bad are not a universal truth. I love table top mode, being able from day one to play the same game on the go and on my TV is pretty relevatory, I don't use joycons sideways buy I do love them in the grip and seperated.

oSoLucky

You may not get the love bc the things you think are bad are not a universal truth. I love table top mode, being able from day one to play the same game on the go and on my TV is pretty relevatory, I don't use joycons sideways buy I do love them in the grip and seperated.

I think the love will die down soon. It's like this with any piece of new hardware really. The whole thing reminds me of the PS4 launch and Resogun. Man was I tired of hearing how fucking voxels were a revelatory "next gen" experience.

Fredrik

Except for Switch my interest for console gaming in general is kind of luke warm right now. The AAA games output isn't enough for me when most games are multiplats and are better on PC and the first party exclusives often gets delayed.

I guess the saving grace could be 4K because I can't afford to go 4K on PC for many years to come. PS4 Pro is interesting for the awesome exclusives (but Sony need to push devs to use Pro better) and Scorpio is interesting because of Play Anywhere (which would allow me to testrun 4K until I can afford it on PC without double dipping on games). E3 will be very interesting. The exclusives output need to become better though.

redcrayon

I've completely lost enthusiasm for playing games on the telly since my daughter was born, even when I have an hour to myself. Just sticking with portables now.

I only have a PS4 to play third party games on, and first parties of course, so the PS4 is what I do most of my gaming on. I'm really interested in the Switch. One thing I like about the PS4 are all the sales. I don't want to buy most games at launch day prices, so I know that if I wait a while I can get it for 10-20 cheaper. Not the case with Nintendo. Games almost always stay at launch price untill the final year(s) of the system. Its what dampens my enthusiasm a little bit.

I had a gaming PC, but had sooo many problems with it. Computer crashing, BSODs, video card crapping out, computer losing connection with the internet now and then, Windows 10 not installing, games crashing, driver bullshit. I don't think I'll ever get into PC gaming again.

brian577

Banned
Nintendo in general ever since the Wii U's announcement. At that point I realized Nintendo games were no longer appealing to me. I'd owned ever system from the SNES to the Wii, loved them all. For some reason the Wii U didn't excite me, I didn't want to go out and buy it, I just didn't. Knew I'd never be happy with Microsoft so I bought a PS3 and never looked back.

Flash in the pan. PS4 and (especially)PC are the veterans around these parts. In about 2 more years we can maybe put the Switch in that talk. Bonus points if first party games start getting begged a la Bloodborne and Bayonetta 2.

man...if bloodborne 2 got announced at E3 and the first reply for the Bloodborne 2 thread is 'switch?', i'm gonna hulk out.

The PC platform is so accessable at this point that I don't really see the point of consoles.

It doesn't get all the games I want to play. In the last several months I've been playing Yakuza, Nioh, Horizon and Zelda.

But I still use it more than my consoles most of the time. Rocket League is the jam lately for me. Best version of Bayonetta and Vanquish <3

the DS/PSP were probably the last devices that felt like they had a reason to exist

consoles as devices haven't done anything interesting for a very long time. hard to be enthusiastic about what's basically a worse version of a computer

they are pretty cheap though, but i'm personally not going to be enthusiastic about that minor detail

Xbox One. I check out the BC list every week to see if something I own is available, download it, play it for 10 seconds, realize I played it to death 10 years ago, turn it off, then wait another week. Rinse and repeat.
Hope Cuphead is cool... :/

Ushay

I was totally devoid of Nintendo for many years, basically since the Wii. I felt like their first party output wasn't aimed at older gamers at all. Breath of the wild changed my perspective on the Switch (I now own one).

I also haven't owned PS4 this gen mainly because I prefer the Xbox online capability, controller and games. Again, with Horizon released that may change depending what Scorpio offers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PC Gaming and handhelds in general.....i still love consoles but if there is just any shot of a game coming to portable or getting a PC release i will wait out. The advantages of Steam and portable gaming are just too big.

Still so many unfinished consoles games that i will never get to....bit frustrating. Also handhelds have handled BC much better in the past.

Xbox since mid-lastgen. Still love my Halo and Gears and I really liked Quantum Break. But that's about all I played for a longer time on my X1.

Nintendo with Switch. Still didn't buy one because the Lineup is terrible and the product feels so unfinished. I have a Wii U and can play most games there for now. Doesn't help that I absolutely don't care for Arms and Splatoon. And for portable gaming I still have huge backlogs on Vita and (3)DS.

klee123

Nintendo platforms mainly.

Expensive underpowered platforms with only a few exclusives I want. Wii ,Wii U and 3ds were a waste of money for me.

Now that the switch is on par with current gen stuff is music to my ears since it means that unlike the 3ds days, Japanese third party devs making games with the switch in mind can easily port it to PS4 or PC with better performance and graphics.

Not even going to bother with the switch.

LAA

Can't say I don't feel excited to get new consoles, cause I definitely do.

As for losing enthusiasm, definitely Xbox One unfortunately.
I bought it just before sunset overdrive came out, and really ever since Halo 5, none of their games has had me really excited, and the games I've bought for Xbox haven't held my attention for long either and I don't really know much of their future games worth getting excited for, at the top of my head Cuphead right now and Halo/Gears/Forza Horizon sequels, which has got boring to a degree and just beyond sad the new IP they received they either cancelled... or didn't get it the time/resources it needed (thinking of recore here.. has potential but was too buggy/unpolished for me to complete).

Best thing it has going for me currently is the 360 BC. Good to have my old games playable on it, As well as ones I missed. Just to me, I don't understand why anyone would want a X1 over a PS4, when a PS4 has so much more, and the exclusives it has on offer aren't much or of as much quality as what PS4 has on offer and 3rd party games likely perform better on (till Scorpio anyway when it may change).

GametimeUK

From 2006 to 2010 I really loved the Xbox. Microsoft haven't been able to recapture that magic with me again. It's a shame. I have also fallen out of love with Nintendo, but the switch is beginning to change that.

bigjig

With a young kid the PC just seems disgustingly inconvenient for me now. I've been playing mostly PS4, but I hope to get a Switch soon. The ability to instantly suspend a game and resume it later is too good.

I kinda lost interest in Sony and Microsoft when I ralised I don't care about their first party stuff and would rather play third party games on other systems.

PSVR is pretty cool and the sole reason I held on to my PS4 for as long as I did but, meh.

Sayad

2DS, played Pokemon on it, bought Smash and barely played it, downloaded a Monster Hunter demo which was the last straw, this piece of shit hardware belong as far away from my sight as possible, just looking at it disgust me.

Top Bottom