• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Caves, Dramatically Reduces Cost to Unlock Heroes

People are missing the point with this - ea could have kept the unlocks at 40 hours, its how you can unlock is the bullshit.

I mean as an example, if they just treated vader like a secret character like games used to, and you could only unlock him through hard work skill special requirements and dedication then yeah its fine, and ea could keep that achievement feeling....but once they allowed microtransactions etc in it fucks it all up.

In the end EAs gonna get what it wants and still they wont get the point unfortunately

Isurus

Eh, I'm actually good with this change. If folks want to spend a bunch of coin on star card, have at it. More power to them. Matchmaking is designed (supposedly) to, in part, match people based on the cards they've accumulated, so it should be ok. Also, I've played the trial for 3 hours and already unlocked Luke and got a coupe crates with credits. 10 hours for one character seems like a gross overestimate; it's not like I'm some kind of god player at this. I'm going for Vader now, but I'm expecting to have Luke, Vader, and the Emperor within 10 hours. Really not that bad of a grind.

I'm not a huge fan of p2w by any means, but I think this is a bit blown out of proportion. Very glad to see the hero costs reduced though, so kudos to the community for driving that.

Buying Mario Odyssey instead

Have fun searching for moons. It's a decent game, but don't go into it thinking it's perfect. For me, it's the most overrated game of the year.

Natarian

Neo Member
The only person confused here is you. Go back and look at the original post I quoted. They were saying that 10 hours down from 40 was not significant. Meaning 40 hours minus 10 hours is not a significant change. Hence 10 hours down.

The reality is it is 40 hours minus 30 hours. 30 hours down. Which is what I fucking said. And then what you tried to correct me by saying exactly the same damn thing. Argue with me some more about it if you like.

No offense but you are the one who is wrong and confused. You clearly don’t know what “10 down from 40” means. That doesn’t mean 40 minus 10. It means the amount to earn is 10 hours which is down from 40 hours which is the 75% reduction. You think you are saying the same thing but you’re not. “30 down from 40” would be the incorrect way of saying it.

JP

OP, are you working for EA? Or why do you fail to mention that at the same time they are also DRAMATICALLY reducing the rewards you earn?
As people keep saying in this thread, that's not actually what's happened.

They reduced the rewards that you earn from the campaign but also reduced price of buying the single player character that you can but you can still buy that character after completing the campaign. The idea is that the reward for completing the campaign is essentially unlocking that character for multiplayer, that's remained the same because there's no reason for changing it.

They've reduced the cost of multiplayer characters earned through multiplayer so that it now takes an estimated quarter of the time that it would have done initially. They've done that by lowering the costs to a quarter but not changing the rewards that people earn. Obviously, they've said it will take a quarter of the time as they've given an estimate of around 10 hours but your mileage will vary depending on your play. As some people have reported they're actually getting them at around the 3 hour mark.

All of this has been explained before you posted.

iHaunter

It should be 0.

Even if they are 0, game is SEVERELY P2W.

Don't drop this til EVERYTHING is free, including cosmetics.

royox

It should be 0.

THey are going to keep updating the game with new heroes, maps, starfighters and other stuff for FREE. If some whales want to expend money in things the other players can unlock playing it's fine for me.

It should be 0.

P2W needs to go...in every form...in every way. Everybody needs to keep their eyes on the ball on this one. Don't get taken with misdirection.

However they can do whatever they want with cosmetics. If it doesn't affect gameplay, it's in bound.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If the gameplay is an improvement on the first one and it takes 10 hours to unlock a major character like Vader or Luke, I see nothing wrong with this at all. The grind in so many other games seems to take as long to get the more meaningful gear. They just lack the pay option to increase chances which is just that - an option. As a fan, there is too much great Star Wars fun to toss this game aside like an unwanted Keurig.

Odd.

During the 10h trial I managed to accumulate over 35k credits - enough to buy both Vader and Luke.

That time estimate is totally ignoring the challenges which is one of your primary sources of credit income. It's easier to hate on a game when you ignore facts.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure you get 32,400 credits from finishing ALL the challenges, some of which take ages to unlock. That doesn't seem like a primary source to me, especially seeing as you managed to get more then that in only 10 hours of gameplay.

Unless they refresh challenges weekly i don't see this being your primary source, more like a supplementary source and that's only if they reset regularly otherwise they'll be irrelevant quickly.

But the problem here isn't really the grind in my opinion, it's the pay to win aspect of the contents in the loot boxes. My mate spent like $60AUS on loot boxes (more money then sense) and already has awesome gear.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Does P2W guarantee someone is better than you? If you unlock Vader and beat people who paid to unlock Vader, will anyone know who did and did not pay or will they just hate on the better player and accuse them of pay to win? I wish this game had everything unlocked and just let people have the freedom to play the game to its maximum potential from day 1, but given that isn’t an option right now, I will gladly take the reduction and try and enjoy the hard work of the developers in a setting I have loved for nearly 40 years.

Newk86

Here's what I imagine an EA cave to look like.

bfc43169cb9a946276dfaf3e91e34d25.jpg

Stop buying EA published games. Only way to stop this company.

There's enough people around who will support these practices to counter those who give a deserving middle finger to EA. As much of a Star Wars nut that I am I refuse to buy this game, but there's 10 others that will do so in my place and either willingly or begrudgingly throw money at their feet.

mario_O

Game is getting bad reviews in many sites because of this. This will hurt sales for sure.

Why dont we have a review thread here? Ugh. We need new blood asap.

No offense but you are the one who is wrong and confused. You clearly don't know what ”10 down from 40" means. That doesn't mean 40 minus 10. It means the amount to earn is 10 hours which is down from 40 hours which is the 75% reduction. You think you are saying the same thing but you're not. ”30 down from 40" would be the incorrect way of saying it.

Then there should be a comma, e.g. "30, down from 40."

In either case, I was using the verbiage the original poster I quoted used. In what world is a change to 10 from 40 not a drastic change (as the original poster I quoted said, if we are parsing his words the way you're choosing to)?

Natarian

Neo Member
Then there should be a comma, e.g. "30, down from 40."

In either case, I was using the verbiage the original poster I quoted used. In what world is a change to 10 from 40 not a drastic change (as the original poster I quoted said, if we are parsing his words the way you're choosing to)?

Okay, I understand where you are coming from. The difference is I just read the original post you quoted as “unlocking at 10 hours instead of 40 hours is still not a win” because 10 hours is still way too long to unlock a hero. Not that they had the math wrong.

Top Bottom