• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Caves, Dramatically Reduces Cost to Unlock Heroes

But internet protest never work.

They do, which is a good thing, but it also makes some places on the Internet unbearably unpleasant sometimes because it encourages people to complain incessantly about everything they don't like. Personally, I want people to be happy with their products so complain away, but I also get very tired of the bitching.

Experien

So we are saying there will be more Heroes in the big multiplayer modes? They are my least favorite thing about the last game.

Half a million users are pretty damn loud. Specially against one single user who gave the word in a name of a company.

Sadly, this victory isn't from GAF since you know when. Back in the day this victory could be ours.

But I'm glad gamers still can focus their voice towards stupid policy or anti consumer charges.

wipeout364

These games should be developed so everything(and I mean everything) is unlockable in 40 to 60 hours. If they wanted to go this route that they are on the game should be 20 dollars or free. Don’t support these assholes.

Next: protest with your wallets and be very mindful of what games are you buying. If you fall into Battlefront 2 you will be telling EA that little changes after some protest are all you want, and that you just don't care about the death of single player experiences, developers that respect you and don't try to milk every penny out of you through loot boxes or that kind of schemes, and that you really don't care about gaming and just want the next big thing the press and the marking tell you you should buy.

#SaveGaming from the likes of EA. I beg you!

PS: I don't need to think a thing, btw. Long ago I decided I'm not buying more EA games until they change their business practices and respect me as a customer. What will you do?

Haven’t bought a Ea since early last gen but don’t see them backing down in the distant future. This is probably to counter the loud noise being made. It’s in the company’s dna so expect future bullshit.

_Aaron_

They forgot to mention that they've also secretly reduced the rate at which you earn credits by 90%. So in actuality, it is costing you more.

Blam

Yeah how about this. Delay it for a month, and remove the entire loot box aspect. I don't want it in my game at all.

SirNinja

First off, way to boldly go against a claim that no one here was making. Second: things are still bad. Oh, so we go from 40 hours to 10 to unlock a hero? That's still needlessly grueling, and still a blatant cash grab. I'd rather not have to spend the better part of a day to unlock someone who was playable right at the start of the previous game.

The real protest, by the way, will be people not buying the game. All these downvotes and all the microtransaction price reductions (and again: those are from "supremely scummy" to "still pretty damn scummy") will mean absolutely nothing if 5+ million people buy the game and the whales still buy truckloads of lootboxes. Which unfortunately, probably is still going to happen. The holidays will come, The Last Jedi will be in theaters, and they're both going to do this game an infuriating amount of good. Don't count your chickens just yet - this has every sign of being a won battle in a lost war.

Dunki

The biggest fear I have that people who did sent all these threats think it was because of them and this will make things even worse in the future.

Great, they addressed a single problem. I'll pick it up if they address the other fifty (approx.) problems with the loot box system.

Hissing Sid

So take the piss but give a quarter of the piss back when gamers piss and moan?

Net result = You’ve still totally taken the piss.

Who’s caved?

Am I missing something?

keraj37

Maybe I am missing something, but waiting till game fully downloads I played 4 minutes in arcade mode, gaining enough for Vader:

Screenshot_5.png

Ajszenk

Does it still have microtransactions? Yes. So I won't buy it.

This is a very narrow minded view to take imo. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but are you opposed to things like Overwatch? To me cosmetic stuff isn't a big deal when done right.

Alebrije

EA : 70,000 credits for Vader is the sweet spot.
DICE: Ok, So we will inform our team we will ask 70,000 credits for Vader.
EA: Nope, you will charge 100,000 credits for Vader.
DICE: But people will complain, and become angry....
EA: Who cares, even with 70,000 they will complain. If they become angry with 100,000 you send a letter later declaring you heard the community and the new amount to get Vader is 70,000. So we end in the sweet spot again.
DICE: Ho , I got it PapEA

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This is a very narrow minded view to take imo. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but are you opposed to things like Overwatch? To me cosmetic stuff isn't a big deal when done right.

The loot boxes are the only reason I haven't bought Overwatch.

munroe

That is literally what I just said. But hey, thanks.

No you didn't, you said it would be 30 hours down from 40.

Maybe you're getting confused what "X down from y" means or the opposite "X up from y"

Basically X is the new value and y is the old value, so the original is correct, a 75% reduction results in 10 down from 40.

Fbh

Well that's better ... as long as we don't find out that the day 1 patch also lowers the rate at which you get credits, which at this point would honestly not surprise me anymore.

Still going to wait on a sale for this (lots of friends are getting it and I want to play with them eventually). My biggest problem continues to be the fact that the whole progression on this game feels designed like a F2P game.

This game is still en example of what I feared microtransactions would become. Instead of some optional thing on the side it has become the core around which the entire game has been designed.

Top Bottom