• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 PC dropping GFWL for Steamworks

Bravocado

frnXxyM.gif

Great news and a great gif.

nowai

Will buy on PS3 AND PC day one to show support.

Take note publishers, this is how games should always be released.

Grief.exe

I know that Steamworks is more functional at a base level. They're about the same at the end game though. Ultimately, Steamworks only benefits Steam/Valve fanboys.

And who does GFWL benefit? I can tell you it is certainly not the consumers.

I can tell you that Steamworks benefits the hundreds of thousands of people that don't live in regions were GFWL is even sold.

nded

Second set of costumes and every costume for the DLC characters. Nothing substantial, but enough to show they're not going to bother with the game anymore.

I'm pretty sure I have all the alternate costumes on PC. Three alts for everyone from Vanilla and two for everyone else.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about SFxT. Carry on then.

TaKeRx

I can't be the only one that liked GFWL right?

I'll be buying the game regardless, but It felt good getting xbox notifications on the PC.

nded

I can't be the only one that liked GFWL right?

I'll be buying the game regardless, but It felt good getting xbox notifications on the PC.

I think most people who don't own an Xbox don't give a shit about any of that and end up focusing on just how awkward and clumsy GFWL is compared to Steam.

alstein

I wonder how big the PC community is compared to consoles for fighting games.

It's gonna explode in the next year or so. Skullgirls, KOF13, and now USF4- and probably the best version of each.

Yatagarasu as well.

The big test is going to be Xrd and what Arc does.

This right here is the reason I don't think I need to buy a PS4 anymore.

TaKeRx

Oh god, GFWL overlay is fucking horrible

You can't even see achievement icons when they pop up

Haha yea, but it was cool regardless. What was also cool was getting a new set of achievements even if you had the xbox counterpart. GFWL was bad so I'm not complaining.

I think most people who don't own an Xbox don't give a shit about any of that and end up focusing on just how awkward and clumsy GFWL is compared to Steam.

True. I was only speaking for myself.

Oublieux

I know that Steamworks is more functional at a base level. They're about the same at the end game though. Ultimately, Steamworks only benefits Steam/Valve fanboys.

Disagree. I know Steam in itself is a DRM, but GFWL is just terrible. Have you ever tried to back up a save game from a GFWL game? It's terrible, hidden away in some obscure directory, and the saves are also encrypted to prevent achievement hacking. Being unable to backup saves in a quick manner was a huge pain, to be honest, and the deal breaker for me.

wutwutwut

You will need to have some sort of server/account system for online play, no? How would Steamworks be worse than any other sort of account system the developers could come up with?

I have AE and all the DLC for PC. I hope upgrading SSFIV AE to USFIV for a fee drops GFWL for SW and we're not required to buy the full standalone title.

Acronym Fighter.

TaroYamada

If we could just get Virtua Fighter I'd never worry about console exclusive fighters again, PC would have the best of the best from the fighting genre. Just give it to me SEGA. With each passing year PC gets more and more of the games I give a shit about and I miss consoles less and less. It's nice but there's still some games lingering over there for no apparent reason.

alstein

If we could just get Virtua Fighter I'd never worry about console exclusive fighters again, PC would have the best of the best from the fighting genre. With each passing year, PC gets more and more of the games I give a shit about and I miss consoles less and less. Just give it to me SEGA!

I know about the VF- I heard VF had two arguments against it: sales, and a worry that the game wouldn't run perfectly on enough PCs.

That said, I'm not buying a console just for VF this gen like I did last gen. If I can get enough of my fix with just the PC- why spend $400+ a $50 junk fee every year.

TaroYamada

I know about the VF- I heard VF had two arguments against it: sales, and a worry that the game wouldn't run perfectly on enough PCs.

That said, I'm not buying a console just for VF this gen like I did last gen. If I can get enough of my fix with just the PC- why spend $400+ a $50 junk fee every year.

I also had heard a PC port was discussed in SEGA Europe but nothing ever came of it. I have no idea why they would have felt PCs would have struggled to run it though, thing ran on a p4 in the cades IIRC.

If we could just get Virtua Fighter I'd never worry about console exclusive fighters again, PC would have the best of the best from the fighting genre. Just give it to me SEGA. With each passing year PC gets more and more of the games I give a shit about and I miss consoles less and less. It's nice but there's still some games lingering over there for no apparent reason.
I think Sega are missing out on an opportunity to introducing a recent 3D fighter on PC. Hopefully they see it as a worthwhile endeavour sometime soon but all I can do is hope.

Eusis

Let's rip this the fuck up.

- Steamworks games all register with Steam, meaning you can count on redownloading from Steam rather than hunting down whatever service you got it from, downloading, THEN activating GFWL in it again.

- Steamworks almost always comes at the exclusion of any other DRM, whereas GFWL games have frequently had Securom.

- I've personally had random issues with being unable to log into GFWL, this doesn't happen with Steam and if it did it'd be sorted out before I booted up the game.

- Infamous saving and patching issues.

Probably most damning however is that Microsoft has been kind of bad about supporting their random initiatives in the long run, and now this is something to be concerned about with GFWL as no new games come with it, we're moving to a new generation that won't be BC with the 360 whereas GFWL's kind of been tied to the 360, and some games look to be set to patch it out. There's no indication of a loss of support for Steam from Valve any time soon, so basically for countless reasons we are far more confident in Valve's service than Microsoft's.

... At least with Origin they seem to be trying to match Steam feature set wise with me being able to activate games I got elsewhere (even Steam!) in their service, while Uplay's in some sort of weird middle ground where Steam stuff stays on Steam but a free copy of AC:B I got is in my Uplay account. That'd easily be the worst though if they hadn't eased up on their online bullshit.

... Anyways, I hope that either we get DLC on Steam to have this version, or at least they implement a HUGE discount that brings the new game to the same price as the DLC on consoles.

Tizoc

wtf is ultra street fighter 4?! you've got to be kidding me lol.

Anyways this is good news, I owned a GFWL only one due to it being gifted it from a friend.

Ultra is a DLC update for $15, so if you already have Super SF4, you can pay $15 for an update and 5 extra characters.

Top Bottom