• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 PC dropping GFWL for Steamworks

petran79

Banned
Early VAC banned you from all games on the same engine, but I believe they stopped doing that a couple of years ago and now if you get VAC banned on newer games it's just for that game.

I liked what Sumo Digital did with Sonic All Star Racing.
they picked 3 top players in order to help them decide whether players should be banned. If 2 out of 3 voted, then they'd ban hackers.

Someone needs to do the same for SF4 though the problem is the far greater player base and that Capcom will likely not care at all.

The mods responsible need to have expert players opinion on that

Seik

Banned
Thanks Obama.

googleplusl8jnj.jpg

Seriously, this is great news!

alstein

Is there really reasons to be worried for the transition or most likely not?

I'd only worry if you bought AE on another platform.

My big concern is button config, which will really only be an issue for tournies or if friends come over with weird sticks. (and I doubt we see offline PC tournies)

Blitzhex

This is amazing news. Now half of the world that's been region locked because of GFWL can actually buy the game without having to jump through hoops.

ArjanN

And who does GFWL benefit? I can tell you it is certainly not the consumers.

I can tell you that Steamworks benefits the hundreds of thousands of people that don't live in regions were GFWL is even sold.

Ding. That alone makes moving to Steamworks a big win.

I liked what Sumo Digital did with Sonic All Star Racing.
they picked 3 top players in order to help them decide whether players should be banned. If 2 out of 3 voted, then they'd ban hackers.

Someone needs to do the same for SF4 though the problem is the far greater player base and that Capcom will likely not care at all.

The mods responsible need to have expert players opinion on that

That works for suspicious leaderboard scores in Sonic Transformed, not really the same situation in a fighting game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ultra is a DLC update for $15, so if you already have Super SF4, you can pay $15 for an update and 5 extra characters.

But you don't get the first round of outfits from Super for free. Which really is the WTF bit. They're giving outfits out for free but if you already paid for/have an earlier version you get jack-shit, even if you don't own the previous outfits they're giving out for free.

It's truly "come on Capcom..."

petran79

Banned
Ding. That alone makes moving to Steamworks a big win.

That works for suspicious leaderboard scores in Sonic Transformed, not really the same situation in a fighting game.

there are suspicious PP and BP leaderboards on GFWL PC version.
they remain unchanged for years....hope at least we'll not see 99999 PP or BP players.

VAC will not work against lag-switchers or turbo users though, so I wonder whether the mods will be able to ban those players too if there is video evidence.

SF4 is a hard nut to crack.....

Tizoc

But you don't get the first round of outfits from Super for free. Which really is the WTF bit. They're giving outfits out for free but if you already paid for/have an earlier version you get jack-shit, even if you don't own the previous outfits they're giving out for free.

Heh yeah taht sucks.
On the PS3, the 3rd Outfits DLC batch are not 'on-disc' nor are they available via an update/download patch.
If you play against someone who has them, but you don't, online, then the player who has a 3rd batch outfit will be reverted to that character's default color pallete.

Dario ff

Banned
And who does GFWL benefit? I can tell you it is certainly not the consumers.

I can tell you that Steamworks benefits the hundreds of thousands of people that don't live in regions were GFWL is even sold.

Even on regions GFWL works, they still seem to grab some weird outdated region list on the Steam store and block it anyway. Couldn't buy Dark Souls or any of the versions of SF4 at all because of that.

Totally interested on this now.

vg260

Nice. It would be great if they scrubbed GFWL from SFxT PC as well. Maybe that's why they never released all the DLC - just waiting to re-tool it.

SamVimes

I know that Steamworks is more functional at a base level. They're about the same at the end game though. Ultimately, Steamworks only benefits Steam/Valve fanboys.

You know, maybe i would like to be able to send a message to a friend i'm playing with without having to spend 2 minutes.

El Sloth

Banned
This is amazing news. Now half of the world that's been region locked because of GFWL can actually buy the game without having to jump through hoops.
I hadn't considered this when looking at the AE PC version playerbase. I wonder how significant a boost it would have seen if it wasn't region locked.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I'll be paying 55 dollars that day now. Couldn't be happier about that.

They're not giving them out for free.

You have to buy the version that is more than double the cost of the digital upgrade.

and honestly on Steam you could probably pick up all the existing DLC for like sub 5 dollars during a sale. So I mean you still win.

kirblar

Curious, how hard would it be for TOs to switch for PC for tournies- I see good and bad points.

The good being controllers, the bad being folks saying the hardware is a bit off.
You wouldn't be able to replicate consistency of play from PC to PC. Not happening.

zulfate

How is the pc community for fighting games? Now that it will be on steam i am sure it will be great. I will be buying this for sure

AutumnAve

Shit I almost bought that stick last week. And i would have been pissed as hell if it didn't work with my PC. Any chance it works on Asus motherboards without any issues?

The Via chipset is what to look for, that or get any Hori stick or Madcatz stick after the Chun Li TE. I use the Hori Soul Calibur V stick, as my TE is incompatible with my Mobo's chipset.

Nabs

How is the pc community for fighting games? Now that it will be on steam i am sure it will be great. I will be buying this for sure

It's really easy to find a game in AEPC. I'm sure it'll be even better when Ultra comes out.

alstein

there are suspicious PP and BP leaderboards on GFWL PC version.
they remain unchanged for years....hope at least we'll not see 99999 PP or BP players.

VAC will not work against lag-switchers or turbo users though, so I wonder whether the mods will be able to ban those players too if there is video evidence.

SF4 is a hard nut to crack.....

Turbo isn't that bad- it's a real benefit on AE- it's the folks who have macros that enable OS that are more of an issue. I've run into a few of those, and there's no way VAC folks would be able to spot this (you can by going into replay- if inputs are extemely consistent for complex stuff, esp if there's heavy lag, it's probably someone who has a macro)

Part of the problem is AE's design is such that "cheating" on inputs gives a tremendous advantage- it's one reason why you see and will continue to see much less of an issue with Skullgirls, because the design of Skullgirls negates much of that (weight classes for juggles, easier inputs, no 1f links, fewer OSs)

ArjanN

You wouldn't be able to replicate consistency of play from PC to PC. Not happening.

Wouldn't you though? SFIV is really easy to max out.

I guess there would be more setup required obviously.

Turbo isn't that bad- it's a real benefit on AE- it's the folks who have macros that enable OS that are more of an issue. I've run into a few of those, and there's no way VAC folks would be able to spot this (you can by going into replay- if inputs are extemely consistent for complex stuff, esp if there's heavy lag, it's probably someone who has a macro)

Part of the problem is AE's design is such that "cheating" on inputs gives a tremendous advantage- it's one reason why you see and will continue to see much less of an issue with Skullgirls, because the design of Skullgirls negates much of that (weight classes for juggles, easier inputs, no 1f links, fewer OSs)

The couple of cheaters I've seen (and they are very rare) are generally bad at the game though, because they're not really interested in getting better. They're also not the types to stick around longterm anyway.

The Via chipset is what to look for, that or get any Hori stick or Madcatz stick after the Chun Li TE. I use the Hori Soul Calibur V stick, as my TE is incompatible with my Mobo's chipset.

I have a Asus P8P67 PRO motherboard, Anyone know if it's compatible? The problem is arcade sticks are not available far and wide where I'm from and have a limited choice. :\

Top Bottom