• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 PC dropping GFWL for Steamworks

ElFly

Curious, how hard would it be for TOs to switch for PC for tournies- I see good and bad points.

The good being controllers, the bad being folks saying the hardware is a bit off.

Accounting for price and convenience and consistency, and even stuff like power draw, I don't see the PC release overtaking the consoles.

Curious, how hard would it be for TOs to switch for PC for tournies- I see good and bad points.

The good being controllers, the bad being folks saying the hardware is a bit off.
You'd probably get a lot of people complaining about placebo effects of different timing, but more importantly I don't believe the game can accept hotswapping controllers so having to restart the game for every match would be a hassle.

Aretak

One DRM for another but let's all pretend it means something like the fauxnboys we are.
Steam might be DRM too, but at least it actually works as intended 99% of the time. GfWL is, and always has been, a broken mess. I can't imagine why anybody would feel the need to defend it.

alstein

You'd probably get a lot of people complaining about placebo effects of different timing, but more importantly I don't believe the game can accept hotswapping controllers so having to restart the game for every match would be a hassle.

You can config, as long as windows accepts the controller- that said some controllers might have issues- like early TEs have issues with some AMD rigs.

This is why I think we may see consoles for tournies, but PCs with a healthy netplay scene.

How do the Melty folks handle tournies being run on PCs?

Thanks! Now to find a decent fighting stick for pc....hell yeah!

Just get a TE. They work on PCs.

Steam might be DRM too, but at least it actually works as intended 99% of the time. GfWL is, and always has been, a broken mess. I can't imagine why anybody would feel the need to defend it.

I think it's more worry about PC being monopolized by one company and then going evil. I don't think that would happen, as PC is open enough that if Valve did go evil, folks would just adopt something else. I don't have any particular love or hate for Valve- Steam could be better- especially on support , but it's acceptable. Much better than GFWL.

Unconfirmed so far, Hoping they offer us GFWL owners a path to upgrade.

Being realistic here, dont think its gonna happen. Personally, GFWL does suck but I like it for SF4 since all my friends are on XBL. When Im on PC and my practice crew gets on, I can just turn off the PC version and switch over.

Regardless, Im buying a new disc for 360 and ill do it for PC.

zulfate, Im selling my original SF4 TE stick with orignal box for $100 +shipping. Its in great condition.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discuss...al-xbox-360-street-fighter-4-madcatz-te-stick

Heres a link with pics.

Being realistic here, dont think its gonna happen. Personally, GFWL does suck but I like it for SF4 since all my friends are on XBL. When Im on PC and my practice crew gets on, I can just turn off the PC version and switch over.

zulfate, Im selling my original SF4 TE stick with orignal box for $100 +shipping. Its in great condition.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discuss...al-xbox-360-street-fighter-4-madcatz-te-stick

Heres a link with pics.

Well if you bought AE on Steam there is no real reason Capcom couldn't offer the discount other than to be dicks.

Same with most of the PC DD serviced honestly.

Heres a link with pics.

I'm certainly not paying 40 bucks for an upgrade. :\

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm absolutely fucking atrocious at photoshop... but uh yea.

9510884981_837a3404d3_o.gif

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Damn the end is nigh for GFWL. I gotta start grinding those achivements while I can :(. I wonder will the netcode be improved with steamworks?

Zarx

Since Age of Empires 2 HD was Steamworks it's been pretty clear that GFWL is being killed off officially.

One DRM for another but let's all pretend it means something like the fauxnboys we are.
I am an ignorant fanboy of preferring to put up with one DRM instead of two, not having to install GFWL for a game I bought on Steam and not being required to add people I already have friended to a separate friend list just to play them.

OK so when we update AE to Ultra, the GFWL thing disappears and we get Steamworks instead? Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread but I assume this is how it's going to work?

Korezo

What about for people who bought the retail disc version? I have to buy the damn game again? I bet pc is not getting the $15 ultra dlc upgrade.

vg260

Kinda sucks for those that brought the GFWL version. No upgrade path. =(

Hopefully so. However, not to sound cold, but going 100% Steam was the best decision for the PC userbase and long-term survival of the game, and even if there is not, it's a small casualty.

Eusis

no developers still use it. it's not clear gfwl actually exists right now.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft ISN'T giving permission to new games to use it, so at least half of these moves from GFWL aren't actually borne out of good will to customers but the more pragmatic need to use something else. And unlike GFWL a lot of people DO like Steam, and most moving to it did use it to some extent before, so may as well.

Top Bottom