• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could change the genre of any game franchise...

ChrisD

Any turn based RPG into an action RPG.

fight me

I'll fight you, alright.

Right after you take your turn.

*Stands in place, rocking back and forth*
Occasionally I do something different for a second

Bring it on dude, I'm ready.

I like 'em both and have a few from each I'd like to see go to the other side of the fence

Playing Breath of the Wild I really want a Metroid game similar to that. Exploring different planets with total freedom could be amazing.

Harlequin

Tomb Raider should go back to being a 3D platformer with puzzle and adventure elements rather than the third-person shooter it's become.

I've also always thought that Assassin's Creed would work rather well as a stealth adventure RPG that focuses more on infiltration, subterfuge and character interactions.

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now.

Final Fantasy IX into an ARPG

The game is absolutely magical. Can't deal with the constant random battles though and turn based in general

I would turn Crimson Skies into a single player story driven game with a Indiana Jones/ Captain America type pilot who progresses in the story by plane and foot. A mix of open world and scripted set pieces.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Any of those Battle Royale-styled games into a singleplayer sandbox RPG. I'd love to explore those worlds, but I hate competitive multiplayer and losing all your stuff upon starting a new round.

Shin Megami Tensei: Call of Duty. Think about it.

More seriously, I'd love to see another 2D Metroidvania Batman game. Arkham Origins Blackgate was decent enough but it felt like a half step.
The Halo franchise needs a shot in the arm. A third person action-rpg would be welcomed.
As mentioned above, just give Metroid to From Software.

Also, gimme Steet Fighter the RPG. I've always been obsessed with that franchise but I completely suck at fighting games. I'd love to see these characters in a jrpg based solely on the SF franchise.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The Bureau: X-Com Declassified as an FPS

(Still bitter about that one)

Nottle

I want a Mass Effect game, mixed with Xcom and the new fire emblems. You have crew of well written personalities of various ME races. You employ powers similar to ME, but instead of a TPS, the camera is out above characters xcom style and you are commanding them. Once a mission is over you can have certain characters form bonds with each other, get class upgrades, and new abilities.

Overwatch to a tactics rpg game. Give me a big campaign mode with either the option to play as the opposite team. Everything about overwatch looks great but just not a fan of competitive shooting and the lack of story within the game.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
You would make it back into an FPS? I thought the game was good, personally. Sad it never got a sequel.

The original trailer looked great. Not saying that this wasn't good, but I'm really bitter we didn't get what was originally pitched.

I would turn otome games into Persona-esque RPGs or adventure games. Sweet Fuse is already pretty amazing, but it would be even better if you could actually play through the attractions.

NahaNago

I'd guess turn Tekken into a Yakuza type game. Turn halo in to a big RPG. I'd also like a Mario open world rpg. Turn the order 1886 into a sword and magic game. I'd like a mortal kombat scorpio bayonetta like game. digimon games into a diablo like game. FFXI into a jrpg.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Metroid into team based co-op kind of like monster hunter but make them cute looking and remove Samoa from it.

Oh and make a sports game version to.

Star Fox into a bullet hell style shooter by Treasure.

Kid Icarus into a Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta style action game

Guevara

Bioshock Infinite had great world-building and excellent design, but the rest of that game was nonsense and not very fun so fuck it: I'd make it open world.

The first Bioshock game allowed you to return to each area with the bathyspheres, so why not be able to travel around Columbia freely via the airships? You'd get more from the excellent world, and I think it would make Columbia more connected and organic. The first Bioshock had lite Metroidvania elements as well: get the fire magic to melt the ice and explore a new area, etc.

I'd do sort of a Sonic CD situation: each area would have a distinct past/present/future version. Past would be before the fall of society, present would be the current conflict between the founders and the Vox, future would be the dependent on whatever faction you supported. The game sort of hinted at this anyway, with the tear system around Chen Lin.

I certainly would have liked a reason to spend more time exploring Columbia, without having to slog through the campaign again.

Pokemon SRPG
I've always hated the suggestions of making it more action based, but it could definitely work as an SRPG with small fields or battles and more environmental usage

Animal Crossing as a Tropico-like economy management and city-building game: you scale your way up from low-level gathering tasks as you cultivate relationships with the villagers, developing fruit farms and sustainable fisheries and logistics services in a multilevel chain of production where your animal friends can find employment in tune with their interests and skills. Then you funnel the profits back into housing developments, public works, and beautification projects that attract more villagers to your town, not capped at the usual handful but up to the dozens or even a hundred. As with fruit trees in the existing game, you can establish trading relationships with other players online based on pricing disparities over what you are able to cultivate locally.

The endgame objective, as before, is ultimately to furnish your own mansion and customize the aesthetics and layout of the town to your own liking. But the idea is to take the town-building in New Leaf to its natural conclusion and develop an economy layer that is a little more involved than watching the turnip prices, a system that has yet to move forward from the original AC.

Meanwhile, I love the world, aesthetics, character design, and overall sense of movement in Overwatch, but as a competitive FPS most of this is wasted on me. Render it as anything else, really, from a turn-based squad strategy game like Code Name: STEAM (which would actually involve overwatch) to a 2D tag-team fighter.

Tain

Persona in a heartbeat holy shit

I don't need it to be a 3D action game, but some flavor of that would probably be ideal. It's such a gorgeous game and I have so little interest in traditional JRPG combat.

AerialAir

Banned
Nobody thought of how great a Danganronpa RPG would be if it still retained the VN parts?
Pokemon SRPG
I've always hated the suggestions if making it more action based, but it could definitely work as an SRPG with small fields or battles and more environmental usage
Have you played Pokémon Conquest? Not 100% SRPG, but pretty close.

Aaron D.

I'd turn GTA V into a Walking Simulator.

In other words, strip out all the guns, explosions, and potty humor. Keep the world as gloriously detailed as it is right now. And create personal, human stories. No bombast. Just authentic portrayals as found in titles like Gone Home or Life Is Strange, minus that whole time-travel thing. :p

Bonus props if you could make it a vehicle Simulation game as well. Taxis, Bus driver, etc.

Wonko_C

Perfect Dark: Platforming-TPS in the vein of Rise of the Tomb Raider with Joanna's gadgets replacing Lara's tools.

Star Fox: Ace Combat clone by Project Aces, with DFM from Assault Horizon because I hate you all. :)
Kidding, just make it optional.

woopWOOP

Pokemon S-
Pokemon SRPG
I've always hated the suggestions if making it more action based, but it could definitely work as an SRPG with small fields or battles and more environmental usage
What he said.
That one spinoff was pretty neat, a game like that featuring all 800+ monsters and multiplayer battles (6 vs 6 units??) would be so dang cool.
Real talk:

Skies of Arcadia into a MMO. The original is one of my favorite games ever, but it was good enough that I don't need a sequel to try to recapture what it did with better visuals.

The setting is amazing, and would be a great backdrop for a MMO. Various pirate bands. Ship combat, complete with players operating different parts of the ship. Territory battles over islands. An expanded elemental system.

Moons as raids. Whatever!

So many things could be done if this setting was social.
This would be the first new MMO I'd give a whirl since a very long time.
As long as they keep the cartoony anime style atleast.

Souls games into turn based RPG's. If only.

I'd love to see what an action RPG Persona game would be like. Maybe with KH-style combat but with the usual Persona flair.

Overwatch I'd love to see spin off into a lot of different genres. I love the universe very much and I feel it has so much potential to be... well anything really.

Pizza

Holy FUCK please make Pokemon into an MMO already. It's so frustrating dealing with a franchise that's so perfectly designed for the kind of social experience the MMO genre provides and instead get gimped by the patented Nintendo diet-multiplayer features.

This. Swap trainers that jump you when you make eye contact with questgivers, keep in random encounters, challenge other players on the field.

Make the story be the grand return of team rocket and add in raids and shit.

Kirby should have stayed a multiplayer metroidvania series.

Top Bottom