• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In this thread we post screens of early videogame builds

Pellham

Banned
Jasoco said:
I always wondered what happened to that stuff when the final game came out. Frankly, I like the overworld of the one pictured there. For years I actually thought that was what the Japanese version looked like.

wow that overworld looks AMAZING.

bjork

Ninja Scooter said:
Lambo64 was actually a suprisingly decent game (on the N64 at least, where there were like ZERO good auto racing games)

beetle01.jpg

bluemax

Banned
Jasoco said:
I always wondered what happened to that stuff when the final game came out. Frankly, I like the overworld of the one pictured there. For years I actually thought that was what the Japanese version looked like.

This reminds me, I swear I remember playing a version of SMB3 on these demo stations in the middle of the Kent mall in Washington state that had different levels from the the final game. When Lost Levels was announced I was excited cause I thought it was the lost levels from SMB3, but obviously it wasn't. I seem to also remember maps for levels in Nintendo Power that I don't recall ever playing in SMB3.

Am I just delusional?

element

OH CRAP!!! That looks nice. What machine was it running on? Was it real-time? Can somebody here find someway to host the video of these pictures?
it was a concept video of the direction they were thinking. not realtime, not even game engine.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Here are a couple from our studio (ah, the memories :) )

Rugby League (at December 02)

rl_01.jpg

Rugby League (when it shipped in December 03)

rlc_03.jpg

GripShift (at April 05)

gripshift-20050908110611253.jpg

GripShift (when it shipped in September 05)

gripshift-20050803100541239.jpg

Furoba

element said:
it was a concept video of the direction they were thinking. not realtime, not even game engine.

Yup, even the short Chinese voice acting wasn't real Chinese apparantly, just some mumbling. :D

Interesting to note that the logo from that concept trailer (July 2003) seems to be about the same as they have now. :)
The trailer was once hosted a seperate Just Add Monsters page, but that's offline now. One of the developer considers to put all the early stuff online one day though.

Brannon

Looking at the pictures and then I came across that atrocious Silicon Knights logo.

Good grief that thing is pure shit.

u_neek

replicashooter said:
Shenmue AKA Project Berkley
I remember that a lot of screens of scenes they originally used to show off Shenmue ended up being in the sequel instead i.e. all the screens with the Ren guy (or whatever his name was).

Mario said:
Here are a couple from our studio (ah, the memories :) )

Rugby League (at December 02)

rl_01.jpg

Rugby League (when it shipped in December 03)

rlc_03.jpg

GripShift (at April 05)

gripshift-20050908110611253.jpg

GripShift (when it shipped in September 05)

gripshift-20050803100541239.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Are you guys planning on a RL3? and if so on what console?

Riqa by Bits Studios. Originally planned as a Nintendo published N64 game, went on to become Rogue Ops for PS2/Xbox
riqa1.jpg

riqa2.jpg

Eternal Darkness for N64
01.jpg

iloveternaldarkness6.jpg

iloveternaldarkness8.jpg

iloveternaldarkness1.jpg

Too Human for PSone
toohumanss1.jpg

toohumanss3.jpg

toohumanss7.jpg

back when Denis had a hard-on for FF7 and Metal Gear Solid, rather than God of War and Devil May Cry.

MetalAlien

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'm sure alot of people remember when these screens came out, Top Gear Rally

top6.jpg

top8.jpg

top3.jpg

top15.jpg

top10.jpg

toprally25.jpg

toprally21.jpg

toprally16.jpg

Hell yea I remember those, I think of those everytime I play GT3. In the mags, when some of those were sharper, they reallyed looked nice. The real game looked nothing like it... but when I first played GT3, I was thinking some of the rally tracks finally looked as good as those Top gear renders. :)

MetalAlien

Banned
neopokekun said:
From the isometric version back in 1997.

whoa, never new that version existed/was a build!

I think I'm of the two people on this planet who actually enjoyed UltimaIX:Ascension

....at least when I had a machine that could run it and was patched :)

megateto

Was there ever any screenshot released for Exo?

Edge readers will remember the cover it got years ago, to finally get canned...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
jett said:
:lol I remember this game looking cool before Swingin Ape took over. Now it's vaporware...too bad. I wonder what prompted the developer switch.

Marvel Nemisis: Rise of the Imperfects.

From this page, has several scans from early Famitsu issues.

Megaman 3
RockMan3Gemini.jpg

Ooh... look at those planets! Of course, this is Gemini Man's stage. The planets were taken out of the level design, but their character tiles are still in the CHR ROM of the final release of the game, and the palette still cycles as though they were there, glowing. Some of the planet CHR tiles were taken out as they needed space for the robotic penguins

RockMan3Snake.jpg

The robotic snake is more metallic here, as opposed to the scaly one in the final. The floor doesn't seem to move yet.

RockMan3Top.jpg

Topman's stage with a different background.

Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts
ChouMakaiMura.jpg

Blue vase.

Super Castlevania IV
AkuDrac2.jpg

The map screen wasn't filled in like that in the final release.

Equinox
SolsticeII.jpg

Very different main character.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If anybody wants a quickly put together new avatar from that fantastic game pictured above
newavataryc4.jpg

Top Bottom