• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In this thread we post screens of early videogame builds

bjork

el jacko said:
There's older:

mdb_e32k1_m4_02.jpg

mdb_e32k1_m4_04.jpg

mdb_e32k1_m4_07.jpg

mdb_e32k1_m4_14.jpg

more here

Weren't these for Zero Mission?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Shogmaster said:
Icons isn't exactly known for exacting information. They do more of sweeping generalised stories. I remember the story of that demo during the time it was being pimped. It was quite before the Square defection to Sony, and that demo footage was assumed by everyone as test for the next FF on N64. Later we found out that it was just a proof of concept (3D FF) done on SGI workstations.

So Square lied in their interview on the special?

Shogmaster said:
Icons isn't exactly known for exacting information. They do more of sweeping generalised stories. I remember the story of that demo during the time it was being pimped. It was quite before the Square defection to Sony, and that demo footage was assumed by everyone as test for the next FF on N64. Later we found out that it was just a proof of concept (3D FF) done on SGI workstations.

they were definatley before Square's defection because IIRC even Nintendo Power showed off those pics, assuming they were early work for Square's inevitable N64 FF game. Gamefan did the same thing.

they were just tests done on SGI workstations to show what Square would be doing for their next generation of videogames (i believe it was even shown at some kind of SGI show). Whether or not they were the planning stages of the Playstation FF games, we'll probably never know for sure.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ninja Scooter said:
they were definatley before Square's defection because IIRC even Nintendo Power showed off those pics, assuming they were early work for Square's inevitable N64 FF game. Gamefan did the same thing.

they were just tests done on SGI workstations to show what Square would be doing for their next generation of videogames (i believe it was even shown at some kind of SGI show). Whether or not they were the planning stages of the Playstation FF games, we'll probably never know for sure.

Shogmaster said:
More like Icon editors did lazy writing.

Square (not some G4 writer) said in the Icons special that they were committed to the PSX in 1994 and that the SGI work was just them testing out 3D when preparing for doing FFVII on the PLAYSTATION.

ManaByte said:
Square (not some G4 writer) said in the Icons special that they were committed to the PSX in 1994 and that the SGI work was just them testing out 3D when preparing for doing FFVII on the PLAYSTATION.

so you said exactly what i said?

ManaByte said:

Bad translation? Was this a Japanese Square dude? Some US Square PR dude?

For every screenshot you post where it isn't obvious what the game is I will kill you.

label your screenshots ffs. Albeit most are obvious not all are.

Vrolokus

Banned
ManaByte said:
Ok, it's just that so many Ninbots like to toss those images around to try to show that the N64 was going to have a FF game, when in reality Square never even considered the system for FFVII.

Christ, who cares? Are you trying to derail the thread?

As soon as I saw those pictures I knew somebody was going to jump in and educate us on what they really are. Does it matter what the "Ninbots" think? Leave it alone.

ManaByte said:
That isn't a build of any game. IT WAS NOT FOR N64.

It was a 3D test Square did to see if they could do 3D on FFVII for the PLAYSTATION.
I knew you'd chime in. It's the only reason I checked this thread. Because I knew someone would post a shot of FF64 (oooo) and then you'd respond with a scathing attack. It's okay because nobody really cares too much whether or not it was just a test or an early concept. What's important is that you couldn't resist.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Whoa, Ninja Theory was Just Add Monsters?

So Heavenly Sword is being made by the Kung Fu Chaos developer?

vantastic

Vrolokus said:
Christ, who cares? Are you trying to derail the thread?

As soon as I saw those pictures I knew somebody was going to jump in and educate us on what they really are. Does it matter what the "Ninbots" think? Leave it alone.
evilromero said:
I knew you'd chime in. It's the only reason I checked this thread. Because I knew someone would post a shot of FF64 (oooo) and then you'd respond with a scathing attack. It's okay because nobody really cares too much whether or not it was just a test or an early concept. What's important is that you couldn't resist.
:lol
i love all this "who cares" stuff.
if you don't care why did you even bother posting? just ignore the post. when you make replies like that it looks like you're whining. :lol

LakeEarth

ManaByte said:
The SGI images were shown in Nintendo Power. Obviously it wasn't 100% definite where they were going.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Is that football game the start of the 2k series? I remember being blown away when it actually came out on the DC.

SantaC

mdb_e32k1_m4_07.jpg

This one gets me all the time. I remember the hilarity when these screens was released on gaf. Is that boba fett?! :lol

bjork said:
Weren't these for Zero Mission?

Metroid 4 is not zero mission...

Furoba

ManaByte said:
Whoa, Ninja Theory was Just Add Monsters?

So Heavenly Sword is being made by the Kung Fu Chaos developer?

Yes, after Argonaut went bankrupt, they Argonaut's former CEO, together with the founders of JAM saved the studio and renamed it Ninja Theory.
Now they are a lot larger than they used to, and they've recently moved to another building.

Originally, they also had 'Kung Fu Story' in pre-production, but after Kung Fu Chaos, they couldn't find any publisher and went ahead with their other IP, Heavenly Sword.

Andonuts

I remember seeing an early, pre-E3 video of Metroid: Zero Mission (not too long after Fusion came out) that featured cartoony graphics and an extremely chibi samus. I just did a furious bout of googling but can't find any evidence of it, save a single mention in this review, which says: "One video, found for a brief period of time on Nintendo's Japanese website, showed an early build with even more cartoony graphics, bringing back Samus' large bubble-headed helmet, more in keeping with the style of the first game."

So until I or someone else finds this video, you'll all just have to use your imaginations!

NotWii

Banned
the.tutelary said:
Reallllllly Early Metroid on Cube (Development, Obviously)

metroid.gif

metroid2.gif
That is freaking cool, looks like the final Parasite Queen room in the game, without the yellowish lighting.
Got anymore? :p

Cool, Maya based tools :p

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
damn. that halo 2 tech demo could almost pass for a 360 game. well, not halo 3, but some lesser 360 game.

and i can't believe i was impressed by those zelda shots when i first saw them -- there were saturn and ps1 games that looked far better. n64 hype and my zelda fandom must have clouded my brain.

element

Furoba said:
I took three shots from a 2003 concept trailer, the file is too large to host though.
I remember seeing that trailer. it was pretty cool.

It is funny how bad Guild Wars looked before the art direction changed.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm sure alot of people remember when these screens came out, Top Gear Rally
Yeah, I remember that, it looked so incredible in pictures. Looked nothing like it when it came out, but I still played the hell out of it.

Jasoco

Banned
aurto511 said:
I always wondered what happened to that stuff when the final game came out. Frankly, I like the overworld of the one pictured there. For years I actually thought that was what the Japanese version looked like.

fartblast

Banned
soul creator said:

I love how this was nowhere to be seen in the final game. not even a trace. i swear looking at the back of the PDZ collector's box is more fun than playing the game sometimes

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Furoba said:
Picture%201.png

Picture%202.png

Picture%203.png

I took three shots from a 2003 concept trailer, the file is too large to host though.

OH CRAP!!! That looks nice. What machine was it running on? Was it real-time? Can somebody here find someway to host the video of these pictures?

Pellham

Banned
ManaByte said:
That isn't a build of any game. IT WAS NOT FOR N64.

It was a 3D test Square did to see if they could do 3D on FFVII for the PLAYSTATION.

Get off your high horse, that bit of info (albeit slightly incorrect) doesn't invalidate posting those images. Rusty didn't even say what they were.

Top Bottom