• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night: IGN Article [Quack Quack Slurp Slurp]

gExxSC0.png

Dear god Ryan there's a reason it's not getting RTs.

How can somebody be so oblivious to this?

Feep

Banned
If the game tells it's story in an interesting way I'm happy to give it a shot. That doesn't mean I necessarily agree with the reality of the premise on which it's created.

Every day you - yes you - consume products created through the exploitation of, and cruelty to, people, animals and our planet. Why draw the line with a guy who had some shitty ideas?
Yeah, why try to do anything good or morally upstanding, when all of us are partially complicit in the evils of modern capitalism?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I remember when people said Phil Spencer would drop this game once the controversy began.

hahahahah

fuck this game.

If the game tells it's story in an interesting way I'm happy to give it a shot. That doesn't mean I necessarily agree with the reality of the premise on which it's created.

Every day you - yes you - consume products created through the exploitation of, and cruelty to, people, animals and our planet. Why draw the line here?

I can't think of too many things more inessential than a video game, and in turn can't find any sort of justification for going out of my way to help prop up this particular developer.

It's not complicated, bud. In fact, it's incredibly simple.

What exactly is your insinuation here? Are we supposed to be attacking Mr. McAffrey for doing his job and being excited about an upcoming videogame?

I think it's fair to get pissy at McAffrey for promoting a shitty guy's video game built around a shitty gamergate wet dream. Especially when his own co-workers were harassed by Gamergate (Chloi Rad, Alanna Pierce)

Ashodin

This game and its view should not be supported. It should be left out to dry imo.

If anything, pay the artist and make something better.

Unless they're also party to this

Alucrid

Banned
The last bit(and his follow up post) are damning, but complaining someone is trying to be slick because they went straight to reply isn't really evidence when people do it all the time here.

I'm not even intending to defend a specific poster. I'm just not a fan of the mob mentality that says 'This person isn't aware this game was made by an asshole! Clearly, they are also an asshole!'.

that's a small mob. but considering the repeated pattern of that shit happening in the last thread i'm going to give the side eye to posts like that.

Yeah, why try to do anything good or morally upstanding, when all of us are partially complicit in the evils of modern capitalism?
The phone or laptop you typed this reply on was made in a factory that workers have thrown themselves off the roof of because of the way they're exploited.

Why are you happy to support Apple, Samsung or whoever else who have literally driven people to kill themselves but this is a bridge too far?

And people shitting in IGN? Really? Are people going to bitch out Netflix for streaming Miramax movies now?

The phone or laptop you typed this reply on was made in a factory that workers have thrown themselves off the roof of because of the way they're exploited.

Why are you happy to support Apple, Samsung or whoever else who have literally driven people to kill themselves but this is a bridge too far?

And people shitting in IGN? Really? Are people going to bitch out Netflix for streaming Miramax movies now?

I mean, why even try being a good person at all. Right? Right?

Mechazawa

What exactly is your insinuation here? Are we supposed to be attacking (or "calling out") Mr. McAffrey for doing his job and being excited about an upcoming videogame?

Riding hard for some goobergater shit cuz it's an Xbox exclusive is definitely something worthy of derision.

(And as a side note, completely unsurprising from Mccaffrey.)

Ashodin

This is not the same thing. And in all honesty any Miramax movies Weinstein had personal hands in should be obscured or removed from views.

IGN should have done the research before trying to promote this game. It has a clear negative spiel that needs to be looked at and rejected.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

This game is significantly different circumstances. It has gamergate views built right into the narrative.

This is less like buying a phone from suspect workplace conditions and more like buying a book from milo yiannopoulos.

Alucrid

Banned
At least have some semblance of perspective.

Animal cruelty, human exploitation and destroying our planet = A-OK.

Someone with shitty views about feminism = I hope his career is ruined and he rots in hell

why does it upset you that people decide to not buy something so much that you're trying to call them out for being hypocrites? i have to buy gas from someone. if i can avoid adding "the last night" to the list of things i've bought from shitty people, why not?

Someone with shitty views about feminism = I hope his career is ruined and he rots in hell

Holy shit.

Someone is actually defending this game using an argument like this.

Wow.

Your argument was rooted in the notion that all things we consume are going to result in negative consequences, which is true. But that logic, when examined to the fullest, is banal. We don't go anywhere with it, it can be used to negate action on literally anything.

Ashodin

why does it upset you that people decide to not buy something so much that you're trying to call them out for being hypocrites? i have to buy gas from someone. if i can avoid adding "the last night" to the list of things i've bought from shitty people, why not?

Basically, vote with your wallet. It always works.

This is not the same thing. And in all honesty any Miramax movies Weinstein had personal hands in should be obscured or removed from views.

IGN should have done the research before trying to promote this game. It has a clear negative spiel that needs to be looked at and rejected.
Bullshit. Closing your eyes and ears to contrary opinions is not the way forward.

I don't support this game's supposed message. But I'm happy to explore it even if it means at the end of the game I sit back and say "well that was fucking dumb"

Magwik

Banned

Every day you - yes you - consume products created through the exploitation of, and cruelty to, people, animals and our planet. Why draw the line with a guy who had some shitty ideas?
This strawman gets destroyed every time people decide to protest something. Please stop wasting everyone's time.
Ugh

BBboy20

Do you realize humans are capable of being concerned with all that?

Also: views also can lead to destruction too...hence the wake GamerGate has...especially when it sparked and educated a new generation of white nationalists...

Wamb0wneD

Game looks amazing

Looks amazing,It is a Xbox exclusive?

Who's stopping you?

the game looks gorgeous, I will keep an eye on it

Game looks awesome. Can't wait!

Yeah, I'm still looking forward to this. I'll wait for reviews and impressions, but it is definitely on my radar. Looks too damn good.

People commenting this is a bad look for IGN are overestimating the amount of people that know of and/or care about the controversy.

Sorry I don't get some moral upbringing trash talking the game. I'm gonna buy it because I want to experience the world the devs made, as it looks incredible.
I'm just on the second page but what the fuck? I'm the last person who would advocate for witch hunts and one of the first who takes issue with the increasingly binary nature of the discussions on this site, especially in OT, but you just have to read this tweet of the dev:

Like, if you are still interested in the game after that I don't even know what to say. This isn't just about some political views of the dev, the damn game itself is based on his political beliefs. Why would any reasonable person look forward to this? Because it looks good? God fucking damnit.

I know many innocent gamers that simply enjoy video games and have 0 idea pertaining to gamergate or the antics of the creator.

Arguing that a game's central themes or identity won't, at the very least, subconsciously influence the person playing the game is disingenuous. Sure not everyone will walk away an alt-righter, but subtle propaganda is still propaganda.

Ashodin

Bullshit. Closing your eyes and ears to contrary opinions is not the way forward.

I don't support this game's supposed message. But I'm happy to explore it even if it means at the end of the game I sit back and say "well that was fucking dumb"

It's not closing my eyes if I see it and reject it. I have to know what it is to know to reject it. Your logic is faulty.

I don't have to "explore it" to know what it's about beforehand.

Top Bottom