• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night: IGN Article [Quack Quack Slurp Slurp]

nynt9

That's typical neogaf. I tend to ignore the drama culture that seems to be so popular these days.

The game looks good.

His beliefs are not my own.

Because I buy the game does not mean I support his beliefs, regardless of what neogaf says, thinks, or believes. It means I like the game and support his work on the game.

There's a reason it's never a good idea to bring your personal life to the workplace.

THE GAME IS ABOUT MISOGYNY AND THE DEVELOPER SAID #GAMERGATE IN HIS TWEET DESCRIBING THE GAME

How many more times does this need to be posted before people stop coming in with the “sure his views are bad but the game is separate from his views so I’m fine” hot takes?

Speely

Banned
THE GAME IS ABOUT MISOGYNY AND THE DEVELOPER SAID #GAMERGATE IN HIS TWEET DESCRIBING THE GAME

How many more times does this need to be posted before people stop coming in with the “sure his views are bad but the game is separate from his views so I’m fine” hot takes?

Infinite times. They've already decided. They just don't care about relating feminism to a dystopia for white men. They Just. Don't. Care.

Is that all still the premise of the game? I've read a few articles now and it seems to have changed but I can't see to what?

The creator said that it has changed, but he didn't say to what. It would be much easier to give the game the benefit of doubt if he at least did that. All the while he's still propping up some distasteful views.

Imagine if this game looked ugly, then the creator said "it's pretty now guys, I swear" without showing any new screenshot. All the while still posting some ugly pictures on the net.

That's typical neogaf. I tend to ignore the drama culture that seems to be so popular these days.

The game looks good.

His beliefs are not my own.

Because I buy the game does not mean I support his beliefs, regardless of what neogaf says, thinks, or believes. It means I like the game and support his work on the game.

There's a reason it's never a good idea to bring your personal life to the workplace.

You're part of the problem.

Wamb0wneD

Is this what's happening with this game or is this a silly strawman?

KmpDjSb.png

For fucking sake, can you stop playing dumb already.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
"I'm sorry about being into white supremacy and I regret that my game is about the virtues of white supremacy. Can we just move on?"

This thread makes my head hurt, can someone explain in simple words what all the scandal is? Why are people hating on the dev? or the game?

I do, but it's fiction. Fiction is not reality. Nor do I want it to be. I like to experience things in fiction.
Fiction and reality are not some distant forever-apart entities. Fiction can mold and influence, convince and enlighten, spread and introduce ideas to people. By presenting certain views through specific lenses and scenarios, what is blatant and ugly when exposed and laid bare could be presented as understandable or even logical, easy to digest and believe.

Consider The Birth of a Nation or Bannon’s grotesquely racist and xenophobic favorite novel The Camp of the Saints or propaganda films

Not saying The Last Night is on the same level as those, but the underlying truth is the same. Media that spreads racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, etc. views can and will influence some who consume it.

Shauni

maybe you should check your memory. this was his apology https://youtu.be/YdR08gxzJXU?t=1h3m29s

shitty tweets he liked leading up to E3
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=240319113#post240319113

shitty tweets he liked after E3
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241101096&postcount=3644

maybe you can point me to where he explicitly says he regrets his stance on gamergate and did not intend the game to reference his lame views? maybe you're talking about the other guy who worked on the game?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240375952&postcount=2971

who said the tweets were from "way back when" and when pointed to tweets less than a month ago said "look the tweets don't matter"

I mean I feel like my trailing off was pretty specific in it's skepticism lol

Ashodin

Is your name really the_sealion instead?

Because you really look like you're sealioning now.

Fiction and reality are not some distant forever-apart entities. Fiction can mold and influence, convince and enlighten, spread and introduce ideas to people. By presenting certain views through specific lens and scenarios, what is blatant and ugly when exposed and laid bare could be presented as understandable or even logical, easy to digest and believe.

Consider The Birth of a Nation or Bannon's grotesquely racist and xenophobic favorite novel The Camp of the Saints or propaganda films

Hell why do people think the backlash against The Confederacy HBO series was so huge

At the end of the day you're more than welcome to buy the game. It's your choice. No one here can order you not to do it.

But you can't act like this game is being treated unfairly when not only is there a bad GG message behind it, but also that the lead himself, even though he says he apologized, continues to post or repost things that are questionable in a bad way.

Sure there are more issues in the world that you can bring up. But some of those things are out of our hands individually. We can't just fix the world's ecosystem in a year and prevent anyone else from harming it, but we can start with the little things.

Again at the end you decide whether or not you want to buy the game. It's a beautiful game. I think so. But the presentation and the history behind it isn't something I'm comfortable with. Especially during these times. That's why I'm not buying it.

Kinsei

Banned
That tweet is more than 3 years old and he's said several times since that the game has changed significantly.

Now YOU stop playing dumb for fuck's sake.

He can easily be lying.

Since he liked a tweet by Ian Miles Cheong just a few days ago it's safe to say that his views haven't changed.

Alucrid

Banned
He can easily be lying.

Since he liked a tweet by Ian Miles Cheong just a few days ago it's safe to say that his views haven't changed.

just for the record, that tweet was from may 2017 a month before E3. it's important because it dispels the narrative that he's changed over the years.

Keinning

It's a shame he didn't get the character increase yet, we'll never know what the rest of that third tweet was going to be.

Maybe he really doesn't like the Neo Geo. Shows how wrong he is.

When someone resort to "bunch of virgins" you know they have a killer argument in their hands

Wamb0wneD

They're being intellectually dishonest. I don't trust them to be posting in good faith whatsoever.

Yeah I get the feeling that's the case.

This thread makes my head hurt, can someone explain in simple words what all the scandal is? Why are people hating on the dev? or the game?

One post above yours.

That tweet is more than 3 years old and he's said several times since that the game has changed significantly.

Now YOU stop playing dumb for fuck's sake.

Oh so you know what has changed? Please tell me. Choosing to believe a guy who wrote that instead of waiting to jump to the defense of the game before seeing what actually has changed says a lot about you.

Arkage

Banned
Since it seems the vast majority in here think this game will be focused upon anti-feminism and pro-GG ideologies, despite the claimed later change of heart by that individual dev, and addition clarification by the team and publisher that this will not be the case, what happens if the game is released and there is no controversial content concerning those topics?

Because I get the impression that it doesn't really matter what is in the game, because this guy's old tweets pissed you guys off so bad you'll reject the game outright no matter the content, no matter if there was a change of heart. Is my impression right or wrong?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
just for the record, that tweet was from may 2017 a month before E3. it's important because it dispels the narrative that he's changed over the years.

Do you have a link to it to confirm? The timestamp on the image shows September

And? Tim Soret might be a piece of shit but he's said that the game has changed significantly and what he tweeted in 2014 about THE GAME isn't representative of THE GAME in 2017.

Gonna need some receipts on that one.

Since it seems the vast majority in here think this game will be focused upon anti-feminism and pro-GG ideaologies, despite the claimed later change of heart by that individual dev, and addition clarification by the team and publisher that this will not be the case, what happens if the game is released and there is no controversial content concerning those topics?

Because I get the impression that it doesn't really matter what is in the game, because this guy's tweets pissed you guys off so bad you'll reject the game outright no matter the content is in the end, no matter if there was any change of hearts. Is my impression right or wrong?

If the game releases without any of that stuff, people will acknowledge that.

There will still probably be a much smaller debate over supporting Tim Soret though.

Ashodin

Since it seems the vast majority in here think this game will be focused upon anti-feminism and pro-GG ideaologies, despite the claimed later change of heart by that individual dev, and addition clarification by the team and publisher that this will not be the case, what happens if the game is released and there is no controversial content concerning those topics?

Because I get the impression that it doesn't really matter what is in the game, because this guy's tweets pissed you guys off so bad you'll reject the game outright no matter the content, no matter if there was a change of heart. Is my impression right or wrong?

At the end of the day, even if the game is released with ZERO influence of the creator's ideologies into the game itself, you are STILL supporting him by buying it. And current (this year) tweets and such indicate that he hasn't changed personally.

So there's that.

He can easily be lying.

Like is said, he might still have shitty opinions about women but he's said the game doesn't reflect them.

Palmer Luckey is an asshole but that doesn't make Oculus a GG propaganda tool.

Stoop Man

Eh, if I can read Starship Troopers, I can play this game if it ends up being any good. All we really know now is that it looks pretty. Once it comes out we'll actually know if the story is GG-pandering or legit sci fi.

Speely

Banned

Because I get the impression that it doesn't really matter what is in the game, because this guy's tweets pissed you guys off so bad you'll reject the game outright no matter the content is in the end, no matter if there was any change of hearts. Is my impression right or wrong?

In my case, your impression is right. If someone were to promote a Neo-Nazi game and then pivot once the backlash started, I would assume they were full of shit and only thinking about their margins.

This is literally no different. He created this game with this vision in mind. I am not calling for the guy's execution for Christ's sake. I (and others) are merely being vocal in not supporting something that was born from a hatred of equality for women.

It's not that hard. Some decisions have hard consequences (and SHOULD have.)

Since it seems the vast majority in here think this game will be focused upon anti-feminism and pro-GG ideologies, despite the claimed later change of heart by that individual dev, and addition clarification by the team and publisher that this will not be the case, what happens if the game is released and there is no controversial content concerning those topics?

Because I get the impression that it doesn't really matter what is in the game, because this guy's old tweets pissed you guys off so bad you'll reject the game outright no matter the content, no matter if there was a change of heart. Is my impression right or wrong?

If the game doesn't have a feminism dystopia as a setting, then I'll happily back off.

Alucrid

Banned

no. he said it's not about that anymore and that he's changed over the years. which is immediately contradicted by his twitter history. then another dev says that they would have never allowed it in the game and that he hasn't been that way for years. when directed to his twitter history he proceeds to say that it doesn't matter. so i really don't have much reason to believe what they've said after E3 and they haven't done much, well really anything, to convince me otherwise.

Like is said, he might still have shitty opinions about women but he's said the game doesn't reflect them.

Palmer Luckey is an asshole but that doesn't make Oculus a GG propaganda tool.
Oculus is not a story driven adventure game with choices that change the narrative. One huge difference might be the writing?
we might be talking about different images then.

https://imgur.com/qRRa1Hk

says may 1 on the liked tweet, uploaded to imgur on june 12
What a chaanged man.

Top Bottom