• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night: IGN Article [Quack Quack Slurp Slurp]

Shauni

Eh, if I can read Starship Troopers, I can play this game if it ends up being any good. All we really know now is that it looks pretty. Once it comes out we'll actually know if the story is GG-pandering or legit sci fi.

What about Starship Troopers?

Arkage

Banned
And current (this year) tweets and such indicate that he hasn't changed personally.

Which tweets are these? I haven't seen any recent ones. I know the game address the controversial subject of universal basic income, but that's not a GG/feminism related topic.

Ashodin

Like is said, he might still have shitty opinions about women but he's said the game doesn't reflect them.

Palmer Luckey is an asshole but that doesn't make Oculus a GG propaganda tool.

Not even comparable. Oculus is a piece of tech with zero ideology into it. Furthermore, the Oculus is out of Luckey's hands, meaning we are likely spared any sort of funding he would have done to support terrible games that reflect his views on the device.

Which tweets are these? I haven't seen any recent ones. I know the game address the controversial subject of universal basic income, but that's not a GG/feminism related topic.

Look a couple pages back. And sorry, not tweets, like.

gdt

Yeah I can’t support this. The actual basis and premise of the game is vile. I might’ve been able to separate the artist but he’s infected the game with his views.

Gonna need some receipts on that one.
This is extraordinarily dense.

Based on the recent twitter activity people are so fond of bringing up, he isn't shy about his shitty views regarding women and feminism.

If the game was still about that, why wouldn't he just own it?

The people who have seen it are excited about it. If there was still an overt gamergate message in there, it would be clear.

Alucrid

Banned
Like is said, he might still have shitty opinions about women but he's said the game doesn't reflect them.

Palmer Luckey is an asshole but that doesn't make Oculus a GG propaganda tool.

i'm also not buying oculus products because of him. i hope this doesn't give you an aneurysm

Dr.Acula

Banned
I really hope the dev just didn't understand what GG was about and was seduced by its biases, and since the disastrous E3 has educated himself and has had an epiphany, and with that, changed the plot away from a condemnation of feminism.

I will wait for the reviews to see what the message of the game ultimately is.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Because it's bad for business, and Microsoft was on his ass the moment his past came up. Why do you think fluff pieces like this keep coming out where all they can talk about is how pretty the game is?

You have no right to call anyone extraordinarily dense when we're currently contacting doctors to see if you've even got a brain. You can't keep deflecting or ignoring when people ask you to back up your posts. So start being more honest or own up to being a piece of shit.

Alucrid

Banned
Because it's bad for business, and Microsoft was on his ass the moment his past came up. Why do you think fluff pieces like this keep coming out where all they can talk about is how pretty the game is?

You have no right to call anyone extraordinarily dense when we're currently contacting doctors to see if you've even got a brain.

yep

SwRaDdS.jpg

Wamb0wneD

You do you.

Hey it seems you ignored that one, so I'm just gonna repost it:

"Oh so you know what has changed? Please tell me. Choosing to believe a guy who wrote that instead of waiting to jump to the defense of the game before seeing what actually has changed says a lot about you."

I'm still waiting to see the reason that you're so sure this game doesn't propagate mysogyny anymore.

Dmax3901

This is extraordinarily dense.

Based on the recent twitter activity people are so fond of bringing up, he isn't shy about his shitty views regarding women and feminism.

The people who have seen it are excited about it. If there was still an overt gamergate message in there, it would be clear.

Maybe cause he's seen the backlash and doesn't wanna add to it by being honest about said shitty views. It's not rocket science.

They've keep the narrative very under wraps, and mainly only tweet about visual and technical updates. That such a message is present wouldn't be clear at all at this point.

Since it seems the vast majority in here think this game will be focused upon anti-feminism and pro-GG ideaologies, despite the claimed later change of heart by that individual dev, and addition clarification by the team and publisher that this will not be the case, what happens if the game is released and there is no controversial content concerning those topics?

Because I get the impression that it doesn't really matter what is in the game, because this guy's tweets pissed you guys off so bad you'll reject the game outright no matter the content is in the end, no matter if there was any change of hearts. Is my impression right or wrong?
Considering that

1) the kinds of tweets he liked and retweeted before and after the reveal, the claim that he changed his beliefs is hard to take at face value

2) the main tweet about the story was made a year into development, and that the game has been in development for four years, and the core mechanics and concept is based heavily around narrative and choice, the notion that the game's story and foundation for its world-building could be changed so significantly from then is kind of suspect

Because even if the story is perfectly fine, I still wouldn't want to support a person with such beliefs. I mean, he wanted to use Vivian James in his game
DCFGwK9UIAES2nr.jpg

You have no right to call anyone extraordinarily dense when we're currently contacting doctors to see if you've even got a brain. You can't keep deflecting or ignoring when people ask you to back up your posts. So start being more honest or own up to being a piece of shit.

Is this really acceptable?

Ashodin

They've keep the narrative very under wraps, and mainly only tweet about visual and technical updates. That such a message is present wouldn't be clear at all at this point.

And even that is damning in my eyes. They're literally trying to coast off the looks of the game. Which is fine for any other game that we don't know what it was about.

Arkage

Banned
Because it's bad for business, and Microsoft was on his ass the moment his past came up.

It's hard to argue it would be "bad" for business. It seems most progressives have written this game off completely already no matter the outcome, so what audience would he bring in by changing the ideology to a more progressive style? Doubling down on gamergate or "anti PC" stuff would likely increase his sales with the Colin Moriarty-types, as we all know Colin isn't hurting for money.

I can see MS being on his ass, though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Which ones. I've been pretty direct about my opinions sonindont know what the fuck you think I'm deflecting.

Opinions are not equal to the 'facts' you continue to spout about how the game isn't about GG or heavily influenced by his misogynistic and conservative-leaning viewpoints. Multiple people have also quoted you asking for different pieces of evidence and you've yet to actually provide. Get honest.

Wamb0wneD

Is this really acceptable?

Hey it seems you have a severe case of ignoritis so I'll repost again:

"Oh so you know what has changed? Please tell me. Choosing to believe a guy who wrote that instead of waiting to jump to the defense of the game before seeing what actually has changed says a lot about you."

I'm still waiting to see the reason that you're so sure this game doesn't propagate mysogyny anymore."

Which ones. I've been pretty direct about my opinions so I dont know what the fuck you think I'm deflecting.

Mine for example.

Opinions are not equal to the 'facts' you continue to spout about how the game isn't about GG or heavily influenced by his misogynistic and conservative-leaning viewpoints. Multiple people have also quoted you asking for different pieces of evidence and you've yet to actually provide. Get honest.

I think it's not gonna happen, I'm out of here now. I'm probably already on his ignore list by now lmao.

Ashodin

Wait, he wanted to use THE Vivian James? Isn't she like the mascot of GG?

....wait why is the mascot a girl? I thought they would choose a guy cause of their stances. Or is it satire?

Classic appropriation of what they hate to deflect claims otherwise. Lots of hate groups and stuff do it to hide their true beliefs.

Since it seems the vast majority in here think this game will be focused upon anti-feminism and pro-GG ideaologies, despite the claimed later change of heart by that individual dev, and addition clarification by the team and publisher that this will not be the case, what happens if the game is released and there is no controversial content concerning those topics?

Then good for him?

The game is not out yet, though. All we have is that story premise from three years ago. A story premise that - despite the creator's insistence that it has changed - was never clarified or updated. Meanwhile and elsewhere, the creator still propagates the same views he had three years ago. Wouldn't you say that it's reasonable to doubt him?

Dr.Acula

Banned

How would you feel if the dev was closeted GG, but MS brought in a writer to re-work the plot so that it becomes a feminist one? Does the success of the game promote the message of the new content, or of the original creator?

Stoop Man

At the end of the day, even if the game is released with ZERO influence of the creator's ideologies into the game itself, you are STILL supporting him by buying it. And current (this year) tweets and such indicate that he hasn't changed personally.

So there's that.

I understand not wanting to support views you find abhorrent, but you have to draw a line somewhere, and there's no general consensus on where that line should be. If he says "proceeds for this game go to Milo Yiannopolis's Little Hitler Camp for Boys" I'm out. If he is active in funding anti-feminist organizations, I'm out. If he has a history of sexual abuse and violence towards women, I'm out.

But if he's just a misogyny spouting cock, who just makes games for a living, I'm gonna view the game on its own merits. I honestly can't see how doing that has any demonstrable effect on emboldening dispicable ideologies. Do I need to throw out all my books by misogynists? Do I need to avoid businesses that employ racists?

Considering that

1) the kinds of tweets he liked and retweeted before and after the reveal, the claim that he changed his beliefs is hard to take at face value

2) the main tweet about the story was made a year into development, and that the game has been in development for four years, and the core mechanics and concept is based heavily around narrative and choice, the notion that the game's story and foundation for its world-building could be changed so significantly from then is kind of suspect

Because even if the story is perfectly fine, I still wouldn't want to support a person with such beliefs. I mean, he wanted to use Vivian James in his game

If I recall the other dev who made a few posts on GAF seemed to be on board with Tim's anti-pc message. That poster really quickly vanished once this all surfaced, eh?

Speak in coherent sentences please. Evidence of what?

The only evidence people have of the game being "about misogyny" is a tweet from 2014 that the creator has since disowned.

Why are his multiple statements regarding the game's content in 2017 less relevant as "evidence" than a 3 year old tweet?

Stoop Man

Wait, he wanted to use THE Vivian James? Isn't she like the mascot of GG?

....wait why is the mascot a girl? I thought they would choose a guy cause of their stances. Or is it satire?
She's their idea of an ideal girl gamer. One that essentially hides the fact they're a girl and puts up with rape jokes.

Yeah if she were in the game, I'm out. That would be just pandering.

Wamb0wneD

The only evidence people have of the game being "about misogyny" is a tweet from 2014 that the creator has since disowned.

Why are his multiple statements regarding the game's content in 2017 less relevant as "evidence" than a 3 year old tweet?

Because he's a piece of shit. The fact you put "about misogyny" in quotes is really really telling. Did you really put me on ignore for a simple question? God damn. I wish that function wouldn't exist.

I'm still waiting to see the reason that you're so sure this game doesn't propagate mysogyny anymore."

Mine for example.

Tim Soret in 2014: this is a game set in a dystopia where feminism won.

Response: Concrete evidence. Fuck this game about misogyny and fuck anyone interested in this gamergate propaganda.

Tim Soret in 2017: That was a silly thing to say and the game isn't about that anymore

Response: Yeah but where's the evidence??

Ashodin

Do I need to throw out all my books by misogynists? Do I need to avoid businesses that employ racists?

The "line" is drawn explicitly at supporting ideologies that will cause negative impactful futures for those involved.

Your arguments of "throwing out books" or "avoiding businesses" are just bait to try to get me to say "No" to any of them so you can justify them.

If you knew a book was misogynist by nature, you would (hopefully) avoid it because it has terrible things in it that you don't want to support. If this is an old book, likely no proceeds are going to the person who wrote it (as they might be dead!).

People that employ racists is a much harder thing to discern, which is something you'll likely engage in without realizing it.

The point is that having the control over what you want to consume and support is the basis of engineering the reality and life you want to see yourself and others have.

Knowing when to use that effectively is a major point of life. You have to act to engender change, and the action here is to stop this game from making too much money to embolden the creator to create more works that espouse his views, which negatively impact people.

thefuckdudepart2bdp2b.png

This dude is trying to go to town on me and straight-up creating a off-topic tangent in the process.
He's not going into town on you. He's trying hard to act like the mighty know it all chum just because he was once well known for a gaming channel. What a sad person. If he really was passionate about it he would just shut up and buy the game without whining on Twitter.
Classic appropriation of what they hate to deflect claims otherwise. Lots of hate groups and stuff do it to hide their true beliefs.

She's their idea of an ideal girl gamer. One that essentially hides the fact they're a girl and puts up with rape jokes.

Yeah if she were in the game, I'm out. That would be just pandering.
That's so dumb. That's so freaking dumb. They could have easily done something else but instead they chose the one thing that they are actually afraid of. What morons.

Because he's a piece of shit. The fact you put "about misogyny" in quotes is really really telling. Did you really put me on ignore for a simple question? God damn. I wish that function wouldn't exist.
What the fuck are you talking about the ignore function for? Stop fabricating bullshit.

Ashodin

That's so dumb. That's so freaking dumb. They could have easily done something else but instead they chose the one thing that they are actually afraid of. What morons.

They literally had to make up a girl that would represent their beliefs because holy shit why would any woman do that

Alucrid

Banned
Tim Soret in 2014: this is a game set in a dystopia where feminism won.

Response: Concrete evidence. Fuck this game about misogyny and fuck anyone interested in this gamergate propaganda.

Tim Soret in 2017: That was a silly thing to say and the game isn't about that anymore

Response: Yeah but where's the evidence??

your 'gotcha' posts are terrible

If you disowned a story premise, the very least I expect as an "evidence" is for you to outline new story premise. He hasn't. That's all there is to it.

If the game looked ugly three years ago, then the creator released multiple statements about how the game is not ugly anymore now without showing any screenshot, would you be inclined to believe him?

Top Bottom