• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 |OT| High Society

Iorv3th

I didn't play the first game. Anyone else have trouble with the downswing being slow frequently? I can't figure out. If I don't finish my backswing and do the downswing I get perfect on downswing. Is the timing determined by how long you stay back or how fast you move the stick?

I'm a golf noob can someone explain the handicap index at the end of the round (and the handicap of like 72/114) and the stroke index on the scorecard

Played some offline "Official" courses since the servers are apparently on fire, 2 under for my first run not too mad

72 is the par. 114 would be the slope rating (difficulty of the course). 113 is the standard slope rating. Goes up to 155 for the hardest courses.

Handicap index is used to determine your personal handicap. You use an index because your hdcp will change depending on the difficulty of the course your playing and the tees. It might be a 15hdcp from the whites and 16 from the blue or even 18 at a harder course.

I'm not sure how this game determines personal index but it normally uses upto 20 scores and takes the 10 best and averages them. Probably doesn't use equitable handicapping.

Cheers. I should probably get a controller. Any recommendations anyone?

Using the xbox 1 controller. You can use a usb cable to make it wired. Works great with the game it has all the menu/button prompts for it.

Just finished my first round at +20, lol. Putting killed me, I really gotta work on that.

Shot a 96 then a 90 (with a 39 on the back 9). Putting is hard because some of these greens and bringing the putter back so far is weird. Some of the greens are just way too much slope on them and the only flat surface of the green is at the top.

Added. Anyone else?

My steam name is D3adcell

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I have the PS4 version. My tag is: Tekumseh

Same as my username here...

-NeoTB1-

I was finally able to log on late last night, but not enough time to do much. The server kept disconnecting, so I finally gave up and decided to go through the lessons before hitting up one of the offline courses. I may not be back on until this evening, so if someone else would like to create a GAF society on PS4 please be my guest.

ElNino

How is the presentation so bad on this game again? Uch. Puts me off the entire thing.
It's an indie game that focuses on a simulation style of golf and a robust course creation tool that has allowed the very talented designers to create thousands of amazing real and fictional courses.

The wife and I played multiplayer last night... a few things.

I like the graphics. Of course they can be better, but the shadows and detail seems great to me.

Is there a way to have our 2 characters look different? We were both playing with a generic looking dude with a black shirt and pants. Could not tell who was who.

My wife created a player, but I was wondering if I could create one as well or does the game only support one created player?

Putting is super hard. I have to learn what a max putting distance is, because I am really overshooting.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Putting is super hard. I have to learn what a max putting distance is, because I am really overshooting.

I find putting to be infinitely easier than non-full powered irons and approach shots. I have a hard time trying to hit like 75-80% on a 3H versus 21ft on my putts, ha.

ElNino

I find putting to be infinitely easier than non-full powered irons and approach shots. I have a hard time trying to hit like 75-80% on a 3H versus 21ft on my putts, ha.
With TGC1 at least, you would be much better off lofting/delofting via the shot shape as apposed to actually swinging 80%. I haven't played around too much with it in TGC2 yet, but it should work similarly where you can add loft to your shot and then hit a full shot to shorted (or increase) the carry distance (and roll out).

It was a bit too easy to dial this in with TGC1, but the principle is sound as I do this when playing "real" golf as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
With TGC1 at least, you would be much better off lofting/delofting via the shot shape as apposed to actually swinging 80%. I haven't played around too much with it in TGC2 yet, but it should work similarly where you can add loft to your shot and then hit a full shot to shorted (or increase) the carry distance (and roll out).

It was a bit too easy to dial this in with TGC1, but the principle is sound as I do this when playing "real" golf as well.

That's what I've been doing. But every once in a while, you have a lie that you just can't figure out. Although, I guess in those cases I'm clubbing up and getting a bunch of roll to gain distance...

Does anybody know if you can have more than one career? In other words, can my wife and I both create golfers and have separate careers?

ElNino

That's what I've been doing. But every once in a while, you have a lie that you just can't figure out. Although, I guess in those cases I'm clubbing up and getting a bunch of roll to gain distance...
Yeah, poor lies (with large % ranges) will change the approach for sure, both in effect on distance and direction (ie. down/up/side hill lies). That's why it is so important to stay on the fairway in many cases as you'd rather be hitting a (relatively) straight forward shot with a longer club than having some guess work with a shorter club out of the rough.

Does anybody know if you can have more than one career? In other words, can my wife and I both create golfers and have separate careers?
With separate profiles (Xbox/PS)? I would think each user could have their own career, but I haven't tried the career mode out yet.

Spades

It's an indie game that focuses on a simulation style of golf and a robust course creation tool that has allowed the very talented designers to create thousands of amazing real and fictional courses.

Right. And that excuses presenting the thing in a professional manner? OK.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm ok with it being more simmy but I just can't handle the swing - it is physically uncomfortable to flick my right thumb like that on the analogue stick. Shame but I would have at least liked an option of a non-flick control method

ElNino

Right. And that excuses presenting the thing in a professional manner? OK.
I'm not really sure what you are getting at. If the presentation of the game is that important to you, then feel free to not play it. And I'm not even sure what part of the "presentation" you are getting at? The menus? UI? In game?

For me, the mechanics of how the game plays and the thousands of courses that have been created is far more important than looking pretty in a trailer or screenshots. For me, this is basically the dream golf game and I think they've done a great job. No excuses needed.

I'm ok with it being more simmy but I just can't handle the swing - it is physically uncomfortable to flick my right thumb like that on the analogue stick. Shame but I would have at least liked an option of a non-flick control method
To be fair, golf itself can be physically uncomfortable for many people.

-NeoTB1-

Hmm...I can't seem to connect to the servers. Hopefully they get it running consistently in the next few days.

Yeah, I have a friend on right now and he still can't connect. It's a bit frustrating. The devs have been communicating on a fairly consistent basis, so here's hoping it gets fixed soon.

Gamegeneral

I had a bunch of server troubles yesterday but the base game definitely seems to be an improvement over 1. The tutorial prompts are a little invasive, but i'm enjoying myself.

Shame they didn't roll in VR into this version. I really want to play against my friend with a VR hat.

norm9

Fell asleep on the couch waiting for the servers to work last night. Hope it works a little better today.

How are the clothes options unlocked? Is it just from playing it?

eta- I have never in my life thought about what stick to use as the swing motion, even from years of Tiger Woods. That that is the first question the game asks you really threw me off.

lacinius

What do you mean by Flick??

I just pull the stick back with my thumb and then push it forward in one continuous sweeping motion... it's the same calm even tempo both to pull back and then push forward and my thumb never leaves the stick. The difficulty for me is pulling back straight and then pushing forward straight so that your swing remains in the "zone."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What do you mean by Flick??

I just pull the stick back with my thumb and then push it forward in one continuous sweeping motion... it's the same calm even tempo both to pull back and then push forward and my thumb never leaves the stick. The difficulty for me is pulling back straight and then pushing forward straight so that your swing remains in the "zone."

Hmm

I was kind of pivoting my hand and thumb to try and get a smooth motion from back to front

Klocker

I don't remember this being in the last version but I'm really digging changing the camera on the Fly With The d pad while the ball is in the air pretty cool feature

bigjig

I found it easier to hold the controller in my right hand and use my thumb and index finger on my left hand to swing the right analog stick at a good tempo

Hedrush

PlayStation Lifestyle have scored it 7/10.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/27/the-golf-club-2-review/

When taking a step back and looking at the big picture, The Golf Club 2 feels like a solid follow-up to an already promising new franchise. Unfortunately, though it attempts to correct some of the series’ deficiencies, it still fails to deliver a cohesive single player campaign. The lack of any significant progression is a blatant blind spot that will to continue to haunt the series. Thankfully the action on the course itself is authentic enough to take players from the peaks of birdie ecstasy to the lows of triple bogey tap-ins. If a golf game can make me embrace profanity this much, it has to be authentic. This may not be a hole-in-one, but sometimes a solid par can be enough to win a tournament.

Reviews all seem fairly favourable. Can't wait to play on Friday.

Griss

Man, I was so sure the release date was the 29th, and that it would unlock at midnight tonight. Instead it's another 30 hours or so. God damn it, what a terrible day it's been :(

Anyone know if the game has fixed one of the most egregious omissions of the first one - stats tracking? I always found it bizarre that there was no easy way to look over the scorecards of your past 20 rounds, or your average round etc... basic stuff that Mario Golf and Everybody's Golf has. Is there anything like that in this one?

Hmm

I was kind of pivoting my hand and thumb to try and get a smooth motion from back to front

I did this for a long time in the first one. This is the path to ruin.

That's not a good excuse. The are so many indie games with good interface and presentation.

norm9

Can't play any of the official courses in regular mode. On all courses, I can only practice. On PS4

So servers still jacked up then. WI'll see what the deal is on xbox.

Eta- I was under the impression it saves your progress when you get disconnected. I keep getting booted to the beginning. Even my tutorials that I finished resetted.

Trying to get through the 1st round of a tournament in my society is a huge headache. Constantly losing connection to server. Might just give up for awhile.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just finished my first "Career" tourney. +22 after 4 rounds for the first place finish. Not thrilled with it, but I'll take it. First round was bad and put me behind, but the last 3 were much better (shot par on the last round, don't remember the others).

Also, I don't think clubhouses are anything but "home screens" to look at. I'm sad because that had potential. Instead, it's sort of a wasted feature.

The jaggies were pretty bad in the first game. How is th AA in this one?

I'm playing on PC with max everything and it looks awesome.

Servers are worse tonight for me. I can't even get online (X1)

Yeah, servers were fine an hour or two ago, but when I finished my rounds for the night, they were kind of fucked.

danowat

Banned
Impressions seem a little mixed at the moment?, might wait for either a patch or drop in price.

Is it fair to say the core of the game (mechanics and simulation) are good, but the presentation and 'game' around it lacks a bit of spit and polish?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Impressions seem a little mixed at the moment?, might wait for either a patch or drop in price.

Is it fair to say the core of the game (mechanics and simulation) are good, but the presentation and 'game' around it lacks a bit of spit and polish?

I really don't know what people are talking about with regards to presentation. It's better and more responsive than TGC1. If you liked that game, you'll love TGC2 since it's more of the same but better. It's really that simple.

-NeoTB1-

I won't get into the presentation debate, since I'm a little confused what people are upset about. As nicoga3000 said, this game is an improvement over the original in just about every way. Aside from the shaky server issues, I have been very happy so far.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've not played the game, but from what I've gathered watching Youtube videos it means that the UI and the way the game and it's menus are presented aren't up to scratch.

I guess I just don't see it myself. In terms of playing golf, it's super simple and crazy easy to jump into. Maybe it's because I played a lot of TGC1, but nothing feels really confusing at the moment. That said, if someone has made up their mind about how bad the presentation is, there is no way I nor anyone here on GAF will be able to change their mind.

Par 4 and a 5 foot put for birdie. I suck at putting and 4 shots later I sink in for a double bogey.

Nothing scares me more than a short putt on a carnival green. Almost a guaranteed miss for me.

-NeoTB1-

Par 4 and a 5 foot put for birdie. I suck at putting and 4 shots later I sink in for a double bogey.

This just happened to me the other day. My fault for landing the approach shot above the hole. That first putt trickled all the way off the green (30 feet or so). I've never thrown my controller in frustration, but there are times when playing golf that I feel like it.

Griss

Yeah I know those putting woes - that was the biggest shock for me when I bought the first one. I've got some great capture gallery videos of putting on someone's version of Augusta in the first TGC. A 5 foot putt lips out, looks like it'll go just a foot past. 30 seconds later I've watched it trickle all the way off the green, down a fairway and into a bunker, lol.

On the 'very fast' setting the green speeds in the first game were insane. I always wondered if the game had any kind of 'legal pin placement' rule to counteract how punitive the speeds could be. (Typically a legal position is considered to have 2-3 feet of flat green around the cup on all sides.)

One of my biggest problems with the first game was watching your ball break on the green after a non-putt shot without any way of 'seeing' the break itself. So it often looked like your ball was rolling uphill or breaking left on flat ground after landing it from a long iron etc. I always thought that if there was a button to toggle a heightmap while the ball was rolling that that would have satisfied my 'How the FUCK is the ball turning THAT way?!?' rage.

Can't wait to get stuck into this tonight. I'm a Euro currently living in the EST timezone so I'll be on at about 7pm.

Top Bottom