• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 |OT| High Society

pots555

Awesome. So after my first round using "Player" difficulty for the extra distance, I couldn't hit a fairway. I even watched my analog go straight up and down and in the game it was going to the right. Going back to standard for the 2nd round lol. Awful 1st round.

Same here. I need to get better!

-NeoTB1-

Just a heads up. I'll be out of town this weekend and all next week with limited internet access, so there won't be any updates to the OT during that time. If you still want your name added to one of the platforms, send me a PM and I'll take care of it as soon as I'm able.

To my fellow American friends, enjoy the holiday!

krpiper

Hey guys since I see that the Xbox and PS4 Societies are named the same (Glory and Fortune CC), I went ahead and made us a discord https://discord.gg/DHVBCwc

Its just rough as I threw it together before work but I will tune it up later this weekend!

Griss

The servers cooperated last night to the extent that I was able to get a 5 event career season in and get a handicap. Ended up at +1.4, which seems way too low - the game puts you on really easy courses to start with. Still, it was fun. Won three events, tied for first in another, and came second in the last despite starting +6 on my first 9 (it was a two-round event). That was on medium difficulty, which I think is a good starting point - the opposition generally shoots around even par.

The second course I played was total desert - no grass at all. I reckoned it was a new biome because such courses do exist in Australia etc, but it was pure shit. Couldn't tell the 'fairway' from the 'rough' from the 'green' - everything was just rock. Quit after 9 holes and came back later... and the textures loaded. It had been a normal course after all, just totally untextured. Was proud of winning that tourney because for the first 9 holes I was just guessing with the direction of my shots and was in the rough off almost every drive.

As for the career, it's a bit confusing at first. When you select career it takes you to a society screen so it's easy to think that it's linked to the society you joined. But in reality it just sets up your own single-player society with 99 AI characters to play against. I renamed the best ten of those guys to PGA tour player names for a bit of flavour, lol. Good that you can do that.

Also, the amount of options with player customisation is good. At first I thought all the options were garbage, but then I realised you're meant to use custom colours at which point they made sense, and I was able to get my avatar kitted out exactly how I like. You get plenty of coins for playing career - I made about 2,000 just playing that one 5 event season.

Also, regarding performance, I turned off anti-aliasing and I think that has improved the performance - I haven't had any shots ruined by frame rate drops since doing that.

Has anyone had any luck accessing the stats part of the personal profile menu yet? I can't get that to work at all, even when the servers have been functioning. I want to know that that part of the game is good - it would be absurd to have to start an excel sheet keeping track of what courses I've played and what my scores were.

I saw the Gaf society has a tournament up with two score already posted - I'll play this evening. Looking forward to it.

ElNino

Awesome. So after my first round using "Player" difficulty for the extra distance, I couldn't hit a fairway. I even watched my analog go straight up and down and in the game it was going to the right. Going back to standard for the 2nd round lol. Awful 1st round.
I noticed last night when I was using the Tour clubs, that your back swing has a significant impact on your ball flight even though it doesn't really show up on the swing feedback interface. As far as I can tell, that only shows how accurate you are on your down swing, and I was finding that even if I was fairly straight and inside the cone, I was still missing right.

I finally noticed I was not pulling back straight, more to "7 o'clock" on the stick. When I started making an effort to pull back straight, my shots were much better. I assume that these factors are amplified if you are using the Player or Tour clubs, but I haven't done any real testing yet.

The servers on PS4 seem to be stable this morning, so I started a tournament. It will last through July 3rd. 4 days to get 4 rounds in. Shouldn't be a problem. Its a 100 buy in. Hopefully a lot of people join in and we can start growing our Clubhouse.

Will join when I get home. Thanks for setting it up.

Griss

Regarding the bouncy ball issue, from their forums:

McBooger said:
In fairway its great!

For rough i think the issue is that there is no way to account for what the ball is actually hitting. If it hits a steep face without grass then it should have a huge bounce, but if it lands in tall grass there should be no bounce at all. Ideally the designers should have more flexibility in defining surfaces through more rough textures and bounce should be tied to the texture where the ball lands. Having some randomness for bounce in heavy rough would make sense as well since sometimes it bounces and sometimes it dies quickly IRL.

Right now the bounce in the rough can be "exploited" on some holes to bank the ball into the fairway in an unrealistic way.

And the reply by an HB Studios member:

AdamV HB said:
100% agreed McBogga, currently that is a limitation of the system. Heavy Rough is heavy rough, no matter what the current theme's "heavy rough" visually looks like. Overcoming this limitation is on our list of todos.

Sounds like it confirms what I was saying - that there's no actual physics being done for the bouncing of a ball into the long grass. Which would be why it feels like the ball is pretty much bouncing the same off every surface that isn't sand, rock or water (basically any grass surface). Glad that they're looking into all this.

I think an issue that's just as big is how penal hitting the ball into light rough can be in terms of distance. Anyone who plays golf knows that light rough doesn't kill your distance, it just makes the shot harder to execute and harder to apply spin to the ball. So losing 10-15% of your distance because you ended up in light rough just isn't sim golf to me.

And there doesn't seem to be enough variance in the lies you get in the heavy rough, either. Sometimes all you can do in really heavy rough is hack out back to the fairway. But sometimes the ball sits up and you can attack it with a wood and hit a perfect shot as far as you would have off the fairway.

A good example of where the system is limited is that there's no concept of a flyer in this game, despite that being a very real issue coming out of the rough in real life. I'd like to see them improve this stuff but unfortunately I think that the game's issue is that 'heavy rough is heavy rough' and there's no way to make some of it thicker or lighter etc.

Helznicht

Ended up at +1.4, which seems way too low -

AND interest is gone. I have Golf Club 1, do not play it because of the zero challenge. Even pros do not hit the fairway off the tee EVERY TIME. I hope Xbox one gets BC for the OG Xbox BC, its the only decent golf game with any challenge off the tee.

But seriously, I don't get what the issue is. Please feel free to explain your stance because as someone who has played an extensive amount of golf games, I see no glaring issues with TGC2.
The main issue is that at a glance you can't read TGC2 OSD/HUD very easily. Why?

* lacks contrast (white text on very pale semi-transparent black background) [Rory has white on solid black]
* legibility varies depending on background because of above
* mixed case text is more difficult to read [Rory uses all Caps]
* icons and text are too small
* too close to edge of screen

Putting screen:
1. Where it says 3,E,-2 what does it say above the 3?
2. What does it say on the shapes to the right of the word Putter?
3. What are the icons next to the buttons in the lower right?

Driving screen:
1. What does it say under 87 YDS?

Of course with familiarity all these questions can be answered. But at first glance it's very difficult to answer them. The designer responsible for the HUD has obviously not considered basic legibility.

There's a reason TV graphics for sports events are done the way they are. They're tried and tested.

Uh to me this hurts your argument. The less garbage on screen the better.
Less garbage? There's more on screen in TGC2! And it's badly laid out and illegible.

This isn't a mobile game, why would anyone need to see anything at a glance? They are staring at it. Rory looks like an ipad port, with each module placed in an easily accessible corner ready for a thumb press. The actual real estate used may be similar but TGC lets its UI disappear in the background unless you are actively looking at it while Rory shouts in your face and you can't avoid it. It's awful.

Griss

AND interest is gone. I have Golf Club 1, do not play it because of the zero challenge. Even pros do not hit the fairway off the tee EVERY TIME. I hope Xbox one gets BC for the OG Xbox BC, its the only decent golf game with any challenge off the tee.

Whoa whoa whoa you're jumping to conclusions.

When I said that the opening courses were easy, I meant easy. You have to play off the reds (women's tees) meaning that multiple par 4s are driveable, meaning a chip and a putt results in birdies. This is why my handicap ended up low. Had I been playing back tees I would have ended up with something more like an 80, which was the first practice round I shot.

I'm playing on medium swing difficulty (called Player Clubs) by the game, and I'm only hitting about 62% of fairways. That seems right to me. If that's too much to you, you can move to Tour Clubs and honestly finding the fairway at all becomes an incredible challenge.

So if you're looking for a game with more challenge than the first TGC, that's the one area I'd say the devs have nailed here.

The other hugely important thing is that lofting your club no longer gives you a percentage - something I always complained about as being against their sim game design in the first game. Now you have to play it by feel and dialing in a lofted shot that bites on the green is really a tricky business and quite easy to mess up. Multiple times I've had a 105 yard shot, lofted my 120 yard pitching wedge to what I thought was an appropriate amount only to end up in a hazard 5 yards in front of the green.

The main issue is that at a glance you can't read TGC2 OSD/HUD very easily. Why?

* lacks contrast (white text on very pale semi-transparent black background) [Rory has white on solid black]
* legibility varies depending on background because of above
* mixed case text is more difficult to read [Rory uses all Caps]
* icons and text are too small
* too close to edge of screen

Putting screen:
1. Where it says 3,E,-2 what does it say above the 3?
2. What does it say on the shapes to the right of the word Putter?
3. What are the icons next to the buttons in the lower right?

Driving screen:
1. What does it say under 87 YDS?

Of course with familiarity all these questions can be answered. But at first glance it's very difficult to answer them. The designer responsible for the HUD has obviously not considered basic legibility.

There's a reason TV graphics for sports events are done the way they are. They're tried and tested.

Less garbage? There's more on screen in TGC2! And it's badly laid out and illegible.

It's funny, because I disagree with you on the in-game HUD (there was clearly a conscious decision to go for 'non-intrusive' rather than 'easily-readable' and that's okay) but I agree that there are multiple elements of UI design that aren't great in this game. For example. the easiest thing to do in golf is a tournament leaderboard but the one here is nonsense. It should show your total score to par and your current round score to par. Instead it shows... net scoring? What the fuck is that, exactly? And there's too much wasted space.

The scorecard itself isn't very well done either, when a game like Everybody's Golf or Mario Golf has been nailing that for over a decade, allowing you to see which fairways you missed, hazards you hit into etc. What's more, the game loads the scorecard before the UI is in place, so you get a split second of the elements jumping around the screen. It's janky. I do suspect some of this is due to how Unity handles complex UIs and the fact that the game needs to work for both controller and KB+M but that's not an excuse.

I totally agree that TV graphics are tried and tested and that TGC should have taken them more into account, especially the leaderboard.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

OK - so your issue isn't with the information and what's being presented; your concern is almost exclusively with the final "coat of paint". That's a different thing entirely than what I thought you were getting at.

In that case, yeah - I can see where the issue is. If they could sharpen and do a better job contrasting the info against the course and landscape, I don't think anyone would complain...But if they went full on text boxes and blocks, I think there would be a bunch of "NOPE!" going on.

OK - so your issue isn't with the information and what's being presented; your concern is almost exclusively with the final "coat of paint". That's a different thing entirely than what I thought you were getting at.

In that case, yeah - I can see where the issue is. If they could sharpen and do a better job contrasting the info against the course and landscape, I don't think anyone would complain...But if they went full on text boxes and blocks, I think there would be a bunch of "NOPE!" going on.

I would. I want it to blend in unless I am looking directly at it, and I think they have done a fantastic job with that.

ElNino

I would. I want it to blend in unless I am looking directly at it, and I think they have done a fantastic job with that.
Thankfully, you can disable the HUD or set it to fade out after a few seconds so I don't see it often anyways.

I also found TGC1 too easy to find the fairway off the tee unless the winds were strong and/or there was an extreme course design. TGC2 is much more difficult to hit straight off the tee, if you are using Tour clubs at least.

brentech

I've played a lot of TGC1 and probably 8 rounds in TGC2 so far.

I can't say I've ever had a hard time seeing the information that is on the screen. The only thing I wish they did better was leaving the flag in the hole until I can more easily see the cup.

Maybe they can make high contrast as an option for people having difficulty in the future, but it is something I absolutely don't want in my own game.

ElNino

I've played a lot of TGC1 and probably 8 rounds in TGC2 so far.

I can't say I've ever had a hard time seeing the information that is on the screen. The only thing I wish they did better was leaving the flag in the hole until I can more easily see the cup.

Maybe they can make high contrast as an option for people having difficulty in the future, but it is something I absolutely don't want in my own game.
This I will agree with. Depending on the lighting on the green, it can be difficult to see the hole sometimes.

Griss

Did the first two rounds of our tournament. Played okay tee to green but had three 4-putts. One of which was like a 10 foot putt, there was a massive frame skip in the back of my stroke and I ended up hitting it like 80 yards. Sucked hard.

Shot +3 in round 1 then -4 in round 2 to bring me to -1 total, and with my handicap that leaves me at net +2 for the tourney.

Went back down to Standard clubs and shot 13 strokes better in the 2nd round of the tournament. Its crazy the difference.

I'm wondering if it's gonna be considered fair for people to be playing with different types. As far as I know there's no way to restrict the use of different types of clubs in a tournament.

But for someone who wants to use tour clubs and have a really difficult, real golfing experience, it might be frustrating to play against people using standard clubs who will probably be able to go sub-60 on standard courses without too much difficulty. Note that I'm not complaining - I'm happy with Player Clubs or switching to Standard if that scores better - I'm just wondering how others will see it.

Also, as for tournaments, is there any way to play a different course each round? I feel like that might be more fun than 4 rounds of the same course. And are the pin positions different on each day? I didn't pay attention to that.

Gameplay is so good but even on the PS4 Pro performance doesn't seem great. So annoying.

Performance is shite but improved for me when I turned off anti-aliasing. I'd rather see jaggies than have a jerky swing.

You can push X on the Xbox to put the flag back in when you are putting

Does anyone know what this is on Playstation?

Hedrush

Gameplay is so good but even on the PS4 Pro performance doesn't seem great. So annoying.

I think performance issues are down to the way the game connects constantly to the servers. I've had 3ft shots go 10ft past the hole because the game has lagged out as I was taking my shot. I've had drives go from the tee right up to full swing in one laggy frame because of the games constant need to try to connect to it's servers. When you disconnect from the net completely the game runs so much smoother. The servers were running fine this afternoon and I had no issues then the game started having issues connecting again to the servers again and some of my shots were messing up.

can anyone confirm if local multiplayer can use multiple profiles at the same time?

golf club one lacked this, just GUEST GUEST GUEST

Did the first two rounds of our tournament. Played okay tee to green but had three 4-putts. One of which was like a 10 foot putt, there was a massive frame skip in the back of my stroke and I ended up hitting it like 80 yards. Sucked hard.

Shot +3 in round 1 then -4 in round 2 to bring me to -1 total, and with my handicap that leaves me at net +2 for the tourney.

I'm wondering if it's gonna be considered fair for people to be playing with different types. As far as I know there's no way to restrict the use of different types of clubs in a tournament.

But for someone who wants to use tour clubs and have a really difficult, real golfing experience, it might be frustrating to play against people using standard clubs who will probably be able to go sub-60 on standard courses without too much difficulty. Note that I'm not complaining - I'm happy with Player Clubs or switching to Standard if that scores better - I'm just wondering how others will see it.

Also, as for tournaments, is there any way to play a different course each round? I feel like that might be more fun than 4 rounds of the same course. And are the pin positions different on each day? I didn't pay attention to that.

Performance is shite but improved for me when I turned off anti-aliasing. I'd rather see jaggies than have a jerky swing.

Does anyone know what this is on Playstation?

I don't see a problem with the different clubs. If someone is good enough to use Player or Tour clubs and can put the ball in the fairway consistently, that means they are better than me who uses Standard and they will beat me. Golf Club is 100% skill based golf and I love that.

Griss

I don't see a problem with the different clubs. If someone is good enough to use Player or Tour clubs and can put the ball in the fairway consistently, that means they are better than me who uses Standard and they will beat me. Golf Club is 100% skill based golf and I love that.

Nah, my issue is the other way around from what you've mentioned - I believe players using Standard clubs will beat players using Player clubs, who will beat players using Tour clubs. Essentially people will be at a disadvantage for wanting to play a more realistic, difficult game of golf with more realistic scoring. Put it another way - is it fair for people playing on hard to get killed by people playing on easy? Because that's what I expect to happen.

I think people should be able to set up 'Tour Club only' societies and tournaments, and if the winning score is +20 then great, whatever. But if other players can use standard clubs I can't see many people using Tour clubs long-term, unless they have one of those cheat controllers or what have you.

Again, that's not what I want to be a part of. I'm just speculating / chatting.

Nah, my issue is the other way around from what you've mentioned - I believe players using Standard clubs will beat players using Player clubs, who will beat players using Tour clubs. Essentially people will be at a disadvantage for wanting to play a more realistic, difficult game of golf with more realistic scoring. Put it another way - is it fair for people playing on hard to get killed by people playing on easy? Because that's what I expect to happen.

I think people should be able to set up 'Tour Club only' societies and tournaments, and if the winning score is +20 then great, whatever. But if other players can use standard clubs I can't see many people using Tour clubs long-term, unless they have one of those cheat controllers or what have you.

Again, that's not what I want to be a part of. I'm just speculating / chatting.

The biggest difference between the sets is distance. Scrublands is a pretty easy course, but I set the tees on Blue, meaning anyone using Player or Tour clubs will still have an advantage because I'm having to use longer clubs into greens. I get your point, but even on easy courses, its still the distance factor that makes the difference.

Griss

Come home for the weekend, servers are down. Think "I'll just practice on the driving range." Find out that you can't use the driving range if the servers are down. Error HB-RS 1702.

Whoever designed the way the game interacts with the server really monumentally fucked up. How do you make the single player training mode server-dependent? How does that happen?

EDIT: Oh man, now it's not showing my 2nd round in our tournament. Wants me to play round 2 again. What the hell, man...

I'll just be paying the winners of the tournament's since I will never win anything. I am awful right now...I love this game though. Can't get enough.

T-0800

Think I'll stick to the first game and wait for Everybody's Golf. I was hoping they would fix the performance issues from the first game but it doesn't sound like it.

TURBO1112

Im -14 after the 2 rounds. But boy was it a tale of 2 different rounds. Shot -13 in first round and only -1 in 2nd round. So many 3 putts

Sweep14

Would like to join GAF society but coins needed. Stupid question of the day: How do you earn coins in this game?

AxeMan

Started to play with a controller and it's sooo much better than with KB/M.
There is one icon that pops up that I don't know what to press though. The pop up says to press a button to access more information or a tutorial but the button doesn't exist on the controller.

Is it the that the controller doesn't have this button? The icon is like two squares/rectangles stacked on top of each other.
Controller is a Logitech F310

Started to play with a controller and it's sooo much better than with KB/M.
There is one icon that pops up that I don't know what to press though. The pop up says to press a button to access more information or a tutorial but the button doesn't exist on the controller.

Is it the that the controller doesn't have this button? The icon is like two squares/rectangles stacked on top of each other.
Controller is a Logitech F310

That's the Xbone equivalent of the back/select button

Moreche

Think I'll stick to the first game and wait for Everybody's Golf. I was hoping they would fix the performance issues from the first game but it doesn't sound like it.
Same for me, I really liked GC1 but the PS4 performance was awful.

i caved and picked this up the other day and so far have been really enjoying it.

I never played the first game and most of my videogame golf experience is with the Tiger Woods and Hot Shots Golf series, but I knew what I was getting into with this more sim approach

I've played 6 rounds so far and am enjoying the unique control scheme. I'm steadily improving reading greens and have made some nice putts, but my short game is terrible. I'm having trouble getting the feel for using the wedges and any of the types of shots, but im sure it will just take more practice

I've only played solo and probably wont ever venture out into online play since im not good so my only disappointments so far are with some of the HUD elements primarily that the cursor/reticle blends in with the environment in most cases and is hard to see and the controls to move the camera forward aren't as intuitive as the golf games I am more familiar with.

Overall i've been pleasantly surprised at how much im enjoying the game despite being bad at it

brentech

Working on finishing the Society event. Done with R1 and R2.
Not a crazy high difficulty course, but some tough greens.

Dubz

Anyone have a putting guide they can point me to? I'm getting better, but still not understanding when I should use the left stick to move the red line back and forth. I swing with the right stick so you know.

Griss

So I encountered a crazy bug that wrecked my society tournament with you guys. I mentioned earlier that it wasn't recognising that I played round 2? So I said fuck it, while I did well in that round (-3) I'll just play it again. So I press 'Begin round' and it places me... at the 18th hole, where I had finished round 2 yesterday. But it thinks I'm playing hole 1. So I have to continue and play a whole new rounds. But every score I got on every hole was added to yesterdays score. So if I parred a hole and parred it yesterday my score was now 8. Meant I ended up with about 150 strokes, +75 for the round or something crazy.

Made a video showing off the bug here as otherwise I wouldn't believe it myself.

Some other vids:

14 people in the PS4 Society so far. Next tournament is set for July 3rd and its at Victory Village from the Blue tees(7,000 yards roughly). Buy in is once again 100. If you guys think the buy in is too high or low let me know.

Griss

14 people in the PS4 Society so far. Next tournament is set for July 3rd and its at Victory Village from the Blue tees(7,000 yards roughly). Buy in is once again 100. If you guys think the buy in is too high or low let me know.

I'm not really sure how the buy in works. Does it go to the club or to the prize pool?

Either way, 100 coins is not a lot of money in this game - I've made over 5,000 coins just from playing our 4 round tournament and then a level 1 single player season (5 events, 6 rounds total).

However I'd leave it at 100 for now so that if new players are joining they can jump into the Gaf tournament right away. In the future I reckon you'd make it higher though.

I'm not really sure how the buy in works. Does it go to the club or to the prize pool?

Either way, 100 coins is not a lot of money in this game - I've made over 5,000 coins just from playing our 4 round tournament and then a level 1 single player season (5 events, 6 rounds total).

However I'd leave it at 100 for now so that if new players are joining they can jump into the Gaf tournament right away. In the future I reckon you'd make it higher though.

50% goes to the club, 50% to the purse.

Just joined the society. Thank goodness the servers are up and running correctly.

tumblr_mavlwksj0z1qady5mo1_r2_400.gif

Same for me, I really liked GC1 but the PS4 performance was awful.

I'm in that boat. I got a refund for my XB1 digital copy. Apparently some people think that sim means frustrating and stupid. If it wasn't the servers, it was the janky putting.

I might be willing to give it a try once the devs have time to fix there servers and issue a patch, but this reeks of early access in the same way the first game did.

Once servers come back up, prepare for another round of complaints as the devs still don't understand how to get a H2H match working.

Honestly, for all its flaws and bare bones features, I still enjoy booting up Rory more.

And Everybody Loves Golf looks like a ton of fun. That could keep me from trading my PS4 in for an X1X.

Played in an official society tourney (open to all) and just realized they have no purse. Checked all the handicapped ones and none of them do either. Why would I stay in any of the official societies when they have no purses that I can see... Am I missing something here?

I guess it's just to be in a big group over the year but that would be one huge time commitment with no money payoff. Plus to me at least the purse is a huge part of the fun. Seems really odd that they don't put purses on them, especially given that they are all multi-round tournaments.

ElNino

If it wasn't the servers, it was the janky putting.

Honestly, for all its flaws and bare bones features, I still enjoy booting up Rory more.
It is understandable for some to not care for the game, but I still have no idea how you can say these two things at the same time.

Putting is TGC1/2 is probably the best putting mechanics I've seen for a "sim" golf game (ie. not Powerstar/Hotshots). You need to get a feel for how hard to putt, but I can't say I've ever thought the putting was janky in TGC.

Top Bottom