• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 |OT| High Society

Griss

Really wish performance was improved much more with regards to pop-in - it's bloody atrocious. :-( (looking to play on a ps4 pro).

However, I'm still considering purchasing but would like to know if there are any Real Courses in the game?

I am right in thinking I can get any Real Course via the Course Editor albeit with different names?

If so, is there a comprehensive list anywhere which points me in the right direction of said Real (imitated) Courses?

Yes, people are doing incredible jobs with what they call RCRs - Real Course Recreations. They often don't have the real name attached due to IP issues, so you have to follow threads online to know what they are - for example the classic Augusta National recreation is, I believe, called Magnolia National.

This thread on HB Studios' official forums is a decent place to start. The other place to check is the TGC Tours course list.

Not all courses are suitable for being made in TGC. Courses that have very high rough like the long fescue seen at Erin Hills in the US Open this year. There's only one heavy rough style and only one light rough style (colour/texture can be changed). So not everything will be there but there's some great ones.

If you just use the in-game search tools you could end up with a lazy or poor version of what you're looking for so I'd use the forums.

Yes, people are doing incredible jobs with what they call RCRs - Real Course Recreations. They often don't have the real name attached due to IP issues, so you have to follow threads online to know what they are - for example the classic Augusta National recreation is, I believe, called Magnolia National.

This thread on HB Studios' official forums is a decent place to start. The other place to check is the TGC Tours course list.

Not all courses are suitable for being made in TGC. Courses that have very high rough like the long fescue seen at Erin Hills in the US Open this year. There's only one heavy rough style and only one light rough style (colour/texture can be changed). So not everything will be there but there's some great ones.

If you just use the in-game search tools you could end up with a lazy or poor version of what you're looking for so I'd use the forums.

Thanks Griss.

Yeah I seen that one online and that's why I thought it must be happening.

Cheers :)

brentech

I'm currently doing my best to recreate Jack Nicklaus's Miurfield Village course.
The water (elevation) tool is probably the biggest hurdle so far.

For the most part I'm just getting the distance and shape of the hole right. Then working to get as close as I can get with the bunker / hazard locations. The tools don't always lend themselves to a perfect recreation, but I'm liking how it looks so far having the first 3 holes completed.

I'm currently doing my best to recreate Jack Nicklaus's Miurfield Village course.

For the most part I'm just getting the distance and shape of the hole right. Then working to get as close as I can get with the bunker / hazard locations. The tools don't always lend themselves to a perfect recreation, but I'm liking how it looks so far having the first 3 holes completed.

Great course. Post it here for us to look when you finish and good luck.

:)

Griss

I'm going to try to do my local course. It's hard... I'm using the measure tool in google maps satellite data to layout the rough width and length of the fairways and greens, and then using the mesaure tool in the designer to lay out those exact same distances.

I'm trying to get a handle on using splines to lay out the fairways, but it's tough enough.

For me, though, the biggest hurdle is in getting nice rolling undulations in the fairway and just general elevation work that doesn't look janky. Also my local course has thick walls brush all around, and I'm not sure I can do that with the tools provided.

I had set up the course using pre-generated holes and just moving the waypoints around which helps but I feel like it's less accurate than starting from scratch. I was able to set up the entire basic layout in two hours using the pre-generated stuff but when working from scratch it took me two hours to do half of one hole.

There's no doubt that it's a stunning tool, though. Some of the things people are making in tutorial vids are amazing. Someone has used the new skyscraper models you can place to make a par 3 course with the tees and greens on the ceilings of different skyscrapers. Amazing.

Can you explain that putting stuff more? I'm not sure I get it.

The marker tells the game what distance you're trying to hit the ball. If you get close to that distance with the length of your putt swing, the game will say that you basically DID get that distance.

So if you set your distance to 20 feet and do a swing that would be 22 feet, the game will make it so that the ball goes 20.5 feet or thereabouts. Because it's hard to get distance right in the game, they basically made it so that if you get 'close' the game makes it so that you get it 'near-perfect'.

The long putter goes from 0-160 feet. That means there's an absolute ton of variance in the amount of distance you can put on putts. That makes a system like this that says 'close enough' very important.

brentech

Yeah, it took me about an hour per hole after deleting all the holes on the generated course.
I'm not going quite as far. Doing some guess work.
Using a map on Bluegolf.com which gives a you a nice satellite image, but the hole information isn't quite up to date. So on the golf courses site which has a really great PDF and a description of each hole on the website, with up to date hole info.

edit: I was having some problems re-creating creeks. Kind of screwed up all my work, then I looked up the course and it looks like someone already made it or transferred over from TGC1. They nailed the creeks and everything else, so.....looks like that's taken care of.
Will probably start with a local course instead now.

Look up Muirfield Village for some random's great course recreation though!

Damn I practiced victory village two nights in a row and when it counted R1 of the GAF tourney I shot a 76.

Brutal! The greens really worked me.

TURBO1112

Just finished Xbox gaf event. Rough first round at 77. Then had two ok rounds at 70 and 71.. Shot a 66 in final to tie ElNino at -4 for the event. Good stuff.

Catphish

The last golf game I really enjoyed was TW13, which had both the Masters and country clubs. I was so disappointed when EA dropped cc's from the franchise.

For those who have played TW13, how does TGC2 compare?

PS guys, next tournament is set up. Northern Forest is the course. Its the longest tees, greater distance than the previous 2 tournaments and is just a tough ass course in general. I've actually been practicing with Player clubs because of the distance of this course. Standard would suck.

SZips

I don't think I've ever been more frustrated at a golfing game than I am with this one when it comes to putting. Even after six hours in this game and under 10 hours in the first game, putting just eludes me. It's less a feeling of accomplishment when I finally sink a putt and more of one of relief.

It honestly feels like a total crapshoot half the time, especially with some real terrible hole placements, and greens that may as well just be sheets of ice for how much the ball accelerates and travels.

ElNino

Just finished Xbox gaf event. Rough first round at 77. Then had two ok rounds at 70 and 71.. Shot a 66 in final to tie ElNino at -4 for the event. Good stuff.
Nice final round! I was never very comfortable on this course for some reason. I was okay off the tee for the most part, but I struggled to find the right landing spots on my approaches and my putting was not great overall.

I did have one really lucky bounce on a tee shot I was sure was going in the water. I missed a 10ft putt for birdie so it was a bit wasted, but I guess I would have been bogey or worse had it gone in the drink.
Lucky Bounce

Joined the PS4 society...

Jeepers to the scores you guys are posting. I'll be BRINGING UP THE REAR!

I tried the tour clubs and was really surprised at how much I was spraying the ball around. Kind of ridiculous. Going back to standard felt much more like TGC1, but it kind of felt too easy...?

ElNino

Joined the PS4 society...

Jeepers to the scores you guys are posting. I'll be BRINGING UP THE REAR!

I tried the tour clubs and was really surprised at how much I was spraying the ball around. Kind of ridiculous. Going back to standard felt much more like TGC1, but it kind of felt too easy...?
Try the Player clubs and see how you like them. So far they are a happy medium for me. I can still lose my shots if my swing is off, but the penalty is not quite as extreme as on Tour. It helps that the club distances are pretty close to what my "real life" golf is like as well, so it feels pretty natural to me.

Try the Player clubs and see how you like them. So far they are a happy medium for me. I can still lose my shots if my swing is off, but the penalty is not quite as extreme as on Tour. It helps that the club distances are pretty close to what my "real life" golf is like as well, so it feels pretty natural to me.

Just hit some balls at the driving range with the Player clubs and you're right; not as punishing, takes real concentration to get those drives straight. Will give them a try, thanks!

ElNino

I don't know why but I assumed we were all using Tour clubs. Think I'll try Players in this weeks tourney.
I was using Tour, but it became frustrating to miss my targets most of the time while I adjust to the swing this time around. When I get more comfortable I might switch back... or if we can force everyone to use them.

I LOVE the fact that in TGC2 when changing your loft it doesn't give you updated yardage based upon your change.

It felt like easy mode in the first one.

Starting to get a feel for the player clubs.

And the tip for moving the 'cone' when putting to closer to the pin is a GODSEND!

ukas

I LOVE the fact that in TGC2 when changing your loft it doesn't give you updated yardage based upon your change.

It felt like easy mode in the first one.

Starting to get a feel for the player clubs.

And the tip for moving the 'cone' when putting to closer to the pin is a GODSEND!

Each click is +/- 3 yards or so.

I finished round 1 at +18 haha. I thought I would choose a course that would challenge the better players in the club. This certainly does that.

I still have a blast with this game even though I suck. It's just so good.

njs15

Took an 11 on the very first hole of the new PS4 tourney, but sort of recovered with 72-75-76 in the later three rounds. Starting to get a better feel for putting, but chipping is still really touchy.

Took an 11 on the very first hole of the new PS4 tourney, but sort of recovered with 72-75-76 in the later three rounds. Starting to get a better feel for putting, but chipping is still really touchy.

The chipping is a pain in the ass. I play a lot of real golf and it feels like the chipping and pitching are backwards as far as difficulty is concerned. You will pretty much pitch it within a yard or two in this game but a little 7 iron running chip from the fringe is a nightmare to get close. Hopefully they get tweaked in the future.

brentech

Finished 78 - 77 - 73 - 72

The last round I made 3 chip ins for birdie, along with a putt. Still ended up even on the round.

The career mode seems kind of stale but is that the easist way to earn credits? I'm up to level 10 for Society but not sure what the advantage is going higher?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is a fantastic golf game. One of the best I've ever played.

However, it has it's problems. First of all, what the hell is going in with the massive frame rate hitching on the PS Pro? Every single course hitches at almost the exact same points: initial flyover big half second hitch. Midway through any long drive... big hitch. But the most infuriating one is on every putt, right when the ball gets a few inches from the hole, huge half second hitch. Every time! How could they not notice this when it was in development?

Secondly, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this tempo mechanic. I've figured it out for most full range swings.. pull back, wait a beat when the animation hits the end of its backswing, then push forward. Gets me a perfect 80 percent of the time using player clubs.

What I don't understand is how tempo is supposed to work for mid swings, as I can't pause for a beat because the animation is mid-way through it's swing and it will just continue the backswing. There is no area I can pause for tempo in this case? Not sure what the game expects me to do.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Are you supposed to shape the shot by adjusting loft instead of trying to lessen your backswing when trying to land a closer shot?

brentech

How do you get perfect tempo when you shorten your backswing?
Nothing special really. When I decide to do a partial power swing, I generally take a moment to just pull back on the stick and get a visual idea of how far back the backswing goes and where I might want to cut it off at. Then try to do the same with the real swing.
Essentially comes down to guesswork but I played a lot of TGC1 and it usually gets me where I'm trying to go.

The actually work on the stick is pretty quick. Pull back and quickly change to forward. There is no pause.

I quickly went to the training to make a small clip to show: https://twitter.com/Brenttrek/status/884136696371138560

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Thanks, that was helpful.

How are you supposed to make money in this? I've been setting up 1 event 1 round seasons at medium difficulty, I come in first in the event, and I win 60 credits. Is that right? Am i supposed to set up my events/season differently?

-NeoTB1-

I'm back from vacation. Updated the OP with the people who expressed an interest in having their names added to the various platform lists. If I missed someone, let me know.

Played a few rounds over the weekend and I'm still running into the bug where if I finish a round, but leave before starting another one, it will put me back at the previous round and start doubling my score if I continue playing. Very frustrating. Anyone know of a work-around solution yet? Devs have not answered my query on social media.

brentech

Was going to start R2 of Northern Forest and I got that bug someone else showed earlier.

DEacPxYXgAAp295.jpg

GG

pots555

I am so bad. I have not finished a single tournament from the gaf society. I start to get discouraged when I'm at plus 7 after 3 holes... I must practice more on my putting...

-NeoTB1-

Was going to start R2 of Northern Forest and I got that bug someone else showed earlier.

GG

This keeps happening to me with every. single. tournament. I enter. If I don't finish up all the rounds immediately, but come back to it later, I get this. So damn frustrating. The only thing I haven't tried is leaving a round EARLY and coming back later.

I am so bad. I have not finished a single tournament from the gaf society. I start to get discouraged when I'm at plus 7 after 3 holes... I must practice more on my putting...

Nah, don't get discouraged. I belong to this one other society (forget the name right now) but everyone on there seems to be really, really good except for me. In a way, I like it because it helps me focus more on my own game and gives me something to aspire to. I've noticed that I'm slowly but surely narrowing the gap between us. Putting can be hit or miss for me, but by far my biggest shortcoming in my short game out of the rough around the greens. If I fail to hit the green, I know I'll be lucky to get out of any given hole with a par. More often than not, I'm staring down a bogey.

Just keep at it. A lot of us are in the same position.

Top Bottom