• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Beth Cyra

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Haven't played it yet, but I've heard amazing things about the combat and the Dressphere system.
The story is something else, perosnally I love it and think it really brings something to the table after Chapter 2.

However, I would say that anyone who loves either ATB or Job System to give X-2 a real shot, because the gameplay is those two things merged and they added a ton of crack.

Truly amazing.

Aeana

Billychu said:
No, it's a bad opinion. Bananas are good.
I don't think it's a bad opinion at all. FF4's story is really pretty ridonk. At least, the way it handles characters leaving your party is.

Emitan

Aeana said:
I don't think it's a bad opinion at all. FF4's story is really pretty ridonk. At least, the way it handles characters leaving your party is.
I haven't played much of IV but saying it's the worst FF? Crazy talk.

Eh, may as well post my favorites.

Final Fantasy XII - Incidentally, I initially hated this game because I found it too hard. Ragequit the first time after getting my ass kicked by Garuda. Came back a few months later and played it again. Found an entirely new appreciation for it. :D

Final Fantasy XIII - Yeah, yeah, linearity blah blah blah don't give no fucks about that.. Looooved the battle system. Even when I was getting my ass kicked, I never stopped enjoying it. Also, the soundtrack. A glorious big budget Hamauzu soundtrack. *drools* The game itself is gorgeous, and I loved all of the character interactions as well. Sazh and Vanille had the best, by far.

Final Fantasy VI - Soundtrack + story + loads to do.

As for least favorites, I don't really have any. Seems like a cop-out, but it's true. I've played and loved every game in the main series, barring the MMOs, as I haven't the time or patience to play MMOs. :V

Billychu said:
No, it's a bad opinion. Bananas are good.

Indeed

176320~Banana-Split-Posters.jpg

Seriously though, FF4 is the game that set the standard for telling a story in a FF game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like the most: IV, IX, X
I liked too: VI, VII, XIII
Mixed: I, VIII

Have yet to complete: II, III, V, XII

Beth Cyra

Electivirus said:
Eh, may as well post my favorites.

Final Fantasy XII - Incidentally, I initially hated this game because I found it too hard. Ragequit the first time after getting my ass kicked by Garuda. Came back a few months later and played it again. Found an entirely new appreciation for it. :D

Final Fantasy XIII - Yeah, yeah, linearity blah blah blah don't give no fucks about that.. Looooved the battle system. Even when I was getting my ass kicked, I never stopped enjoying it. Also, the soundtrack. A glorious big budget Hamauzu soundtrack. *drools* The game itself is gorgeous, and I loved all of the character interactions as well. Sazh and Vanille had the best, by far.

Final Fantasy VI - Soundtrack + story + loads to do.

As for least favorites, I don't really have any. Seems like a cop-out, but it's true. I've played and loved every game in the main series, barring the MMOs, as I haven't the time or patience to play MMOs. :V
The least favorite thing is pretty close for me as well. I really enjoy the majority of the franchise.

I do feel that VI and IX are the two weekest games in the series but I don't rate either as bad games.

Plus I just had to qoute someone else who has XIII in their top three.

Mine go.

VIII

XIII

X-2.

Each one had something really special. Plus I loved Ultimecia and Shuyin as the villians and actually cared about them at the end of the day.

XIII battlesystem and Fang get it into number two. Plus I loved the soundtrack.

comparing IV to any real story yeah it sucks, but IV set the standard that the story was one of the focal points, and not just a byproduct. It is a VERY important game in that regard

and the way it handled your party was awesome. i liked the fact that the situation was dynamic

V probably has my favorite story. Mainly because of the GBA version's localization. What else can you do when the story is so bog-standard? Why, make fun of it in the best way possible, of course! :D

Aeana

Electivirus said:
V probably has my favorite story. Mainly because of the GBA version's localization. What else can you do when the story is so bog-standard? Why, make fun of it in the best way possible, of course! :D
They should add a laugh track when they remake it.

DKnight said:
It has knights on airships, that's like the opposite of atrocious.
That's not a really convincing argument. :p

And it's the worst one I have played, bar-none. Just ugh with a side of UGH. Over-abusing character deaths only to have the game go "lol we're back" is NOT a good way to "handle a party." It's worse than FF6's overabundance of characters.

Aeana

Electivirus said:
Outside of the Tactics series and Dissidia, I haven't tried many of the spinoffs. :(
That's forgivable provided that you go purchase Chocobo's Dungeon for Wii right now.

Aeana

Professor Beef said:
I avoided Tactics Advance because my friends told me horror stories about the Judge system. Did it make a return in the DS sequel?
It's different in A2. In A2, you have laws but there are no serious consequences for breaking them. Instead, you get several bonuses for following them, which works out much better.

Lebron

Thread needs more Dancing Mad love.

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXVNKtmWnc

The Black Mages Version(one of the finest guitar solos to ever grace a VG track): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdt74rarv4g

Distant Worlds(heard this live, my body was not ready) version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMFCM0SKbnY

I need to replay FF IX and Tactics(original) again. Those with VI are my top three. Though the position does tend to change after each play through, but I still think VI will remain on top. So many things I missed with that game when I first played through it when I was younger. I want to go back to those glorious times, bring back the Gooch :(

Aeana said:
It's different in A2. In A2, you have laws but there are no serious consequences for breaking them. Instead, you get several bonuses for following them, which works out much better.

I liked A2's law system better, but goddamn some of those laws seem perfectly designed to make you break them as soon as possible.

"No moving more than 1 tile."
"No getting robbed (when facing a team full of thieves)."
"No dealing > 20 damage per attack (what the HELL?)."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
In the end, the way I found to enjoy it was to just go ahead and use anti a couple of times on my characters to boost their MP some and then play pretty much normally, going to Mysidia early to grab some fire spears as well. It worked very well and I had a great time.
Huh, I should try that out next time I play through it. That's smart.

Kazerei said:
How many people think the best FF is the first one they played? *raises hand*

I owned a SNES, but didn't play FFIV or FFVI, and I've never owned a PS1. But when I got a PS2, I finally picked up FFIX. To me, it's like the ideal FF game, and I compare all other entries to it. The story is great, the characters are fun, and the gameplay is solid. Overall FFIX feels like a traditional FF game refined to perfection. Mmmyeah.
Final Fantasy I is not my favourite FF game. I didn't really start caring much about FF until I played FFIV... which made me care about narrative in games, so it was pretty effective. It's not among my favourites, but I like it all the same... and it has some of my favourite characters.

However, I do agree with your feelings about FFIX. I love that game very much, and I feel like it's one of the idealized FF games out there (I mean, I guess since it's an homage to the series it's supposed to feel that way).

Electivirus said:
Outside of the Tactics series and Dissidia, I haven't tried many of the spinoffs. :(
I tried playing Tactics after a friend lent me his PSX copy. It's probably because I haven't played any SRPGS before this, but I got bored pretty quick.

I do plan on persevering, though!

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I tried playing Tactics after a friend lent me his PSX copy. It's probably because I haven't played any SRPGS before this, but I got bored pretty quick.

I do plan on persevering, though!

Yeah, I bought The War of the Lions off of PSN a few weeks back. Haven't made much progress because it's sooooooooo friggin' HARD. :(

I've played FFVII-FFXII, minus FFXI and X-2. I am not interested in FFXIII and FFXIV. My ranking:

1. FFXII
2. FFVII
3. FFIX

(big gap here)

4. FFVIII
5. FFX

IX could be great, but the slowness is inexcusable. I can never replay it because of that, even though I've wanted to many times. FFVII is perfectly playable though. Very brisk pace and I find the 3D graphics to be much cleaner looking than VIII and IX.

Only FF game I'm excited for is Versus XIII since it looks like it combines FFXII with KH. If SE announces FFXII HD remastered for PS3, then I will look forward to that too.

ULTROS! said:
Just wondering, did anyone like FFVIII not for its gameplay but rather for its overall presentation? Like the cutscene direction, its towns and dungeons, its GFs, and the special attacks?

I liked it for both. I believe it has the best atmosphere in the series and I would live at a Garden in an instant if they existed.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Electivirus said:
Yeah, I bought The War of the Lions off of PSN a few weeks back. Haven't made much progress because it's sooooooooo friggin' HARD. :(
FFT is pretty tough if its your first time with the genre. FFTA for the GBA has as brilliant tutorial that explains how the game works, and is much easier to get into because of it.

Ellis Kim said:
FFT is pretty tough if its your first time with the genre. FFTA for the GBA has as brilliant tutorial that explains how the game works, and is much easier to get into because of it.

Heh, my first was actually A2. Haven't even played Tactics Advance yet.

Fou-Lu

Why is it so damn hard to get into FF5? I'm probably about half way finished it, but it feels like work to play it. I finished the first four games in a couple of weeks.

Aeana

Ichor said:
Why is it so damn hard to get into FF5? I'm probably about half way finished it, but it feels like work to play it. I finished the first four games in a couple of weeks.
If you find FF5 hard to get into but not 3, that's confusing to me.

Top Bottom