• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Good idea!

FF has such a rich history it's always nice to randomly chat about it, outside of the latest news and such

Playing Xenoblade right now, it really makes me want to go back and play XII afterwards, but I'm going to play XIII and try and appreciate it for what it is rather than what it's not

Kalnos

Banned
Final Fantasy 10

I think FFX has a really good setting, one of the best in the series, but I can't stand a lot of the characters. If Lulu ceased to exist I probably wouldn't have noticed, not to mention Auron who seemingly knew about everything but decided to tell nothing.

StuBurns

Banned
Over time I'm going to attempt to merge FFGaf with CreepyGaf, here's step one:

KzIcS.png

Strange right?

Magnus

X is always shat upon when I encounter FF fans in the wild. I've never heard anyone speak fondly of it in person. 'tmakes me sad.

Conversely, all of those people loved XIII. Up is down and down is up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Boney said:
what about that laughing scene

Like I said, best. :p

Japanese laugh scene is the best.

Joei

I hope FFX HD sells well so they make the one that really needs to be done in HD, FF12.

Emitan

Joei said:
I hope FFX HD sells well so they make the one that really needs to be done in HD, FF12 IZJS.
There you go. Don't settle for less. I need IZJS and uncompressed voice acting!

Aeana

Billychu said:
That costs money. Isn't the PSP version the best one anyway? DS one is so ugly and the PSP one is so purty.
The PSP one is the same game as the original, just with different graphics and The After Years tacked on. The DS version is actually completely rebalanced and turned into a much better game, in my opinion.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
StuBurns said:
Over time I'm going to attempt to merge FFGaf with CreepyGaf, here's step one:

http://i.imgur.com/KzIcS.png[IMG]

Strange right?[/QUOTE]

Is that Camilla Belle? Try Camilla Belle. :p

Boney

Banned
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I really should get around to playing XII one of these days...
Me too, that, VIII and XIII are the only ones I haven't played, but the idea of IZJS existing makes me not wanna play my vanilla XII

ULTROS!

Boney said:
hook me up please! now i'm curious

Im on my PS3 browser. Anyone wanna do it?

Aeana

Glass Rebel said:
What's so good about FFIV DS over the SNES version? I have the DS one here and I play it sometimes but I'm curious.

Edit: Oh, you answered it already :)
I really like the balance changes they made, and the augment system that was added to give the different characters a method for customization. The system itself has some problems, but it is workable and still manages to be an improvement in my eyes.

Boney said:
Me too, that, VIII and XIII are the only ones I haven't played, but the idea of IZJS existing makes me not wanna play my vanilla XII
Yeah, that's kind of the reason I'm hesitant to try it, too. I've heard IZJS was a big improvement.

And I'm slowly trudging through XIII. I'm at Chapter 7, I think.

Cheska

ULTROS! said:
Hey look, I've been crystallized! Great thread Kagari.

Anyway, what top 3 FF games had the best cutscenes? I'd say FFX, FFVIII, and FFVI.

Oh God, cutscenes from VIII will hold a special place in my heart. I remember being completely mesmerized by quality and content. Ballroom scene is one of my all time favorite cutscenes in games, period.

StuBurns

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Is that Camilla Belle? Try Camilla Belle. :p
Nope, it's Victoria Justice, I found it the other day googling her. I've seen the film where Camilla Belle pretends to be deaf, awful movie.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aeana said:
I really like the balance changes they made, and the augment system that was added to give the different characters a method for customization. The system itself has some problems, but it is workable and still manages to be an improvement in my eyes.

It also has a perfectly reasonable auto attack system and the cutscenes are pretty decent.

Also it may be a minority opinion but I just hate the flash game looking sprites of the three PSP games (I, II, IV) and prefer the old school look of the GBA version.

ULTROS!

Billychu said:
How do you browse GAF on your PS3?
Magic, I also watch Youtube vids with this browser!

Cheska said:
Oh God, cutscenes from VIII will hold a special place in my heart. I remember being completely mesmerized by quality and content. Ballroom scene is one of my all time favorite cutscenes in games, period.

Yeah, that ballroom scene was breathtaking. I keep a save file right by there in case I feel like revisiting it. Definitely a favourite moment of mine from the series.

Emitan

Boney said:
are those crows!?
Japanese laughing crows. A very rare species. Now they're just used for video game voice acting.

ULTROS! said:
Magic, I also watch Youtube vids with this browser!
GAF just appears as a mess of garbled characters for me. Are you able to read the Matrix or some shit like that?

Wazzim

Banned
djplaeskool said:
FFXIV Post-Patch 1.19:
NQaAo.gif

Seriously, if you haven't played in a while, check it out again.
"Cool, I'll start it up."

-puts in DVD, starts game-

*1 hour of updates*

FFFFuuuuuuu.jpeg

StuBurns

Banned
I loved the transitions in FFVIII, from a cutscene to the level background. Also moving around over the CG (I believe 7 did that too though). I'm still waiting for someone to do something with that concept. I know you can have video textures, I wonder if it's possible to have a 3D room made up of video textures.

I always loved the Garden War scene in VIII. Mainly because in the midst of all the chaos, there's that one guy who hilariously gets knocked off of his motorcycle by some random dude.

FINAL FANTASY X
The fight between
The Lion dude and his brothers
on Mt. Gagazet made me tear up. The music transitioned into the fight, no special battle music, and the fight itself was an extension of the story not in some isolated land.

Hornless! Hornless!

this is the music, imagine this in a touching cutscene and transitioning into a battle and this just continues to play. damn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUZZQ-hvRTs

sublimit

Banned
Billychu said:
GAF just appears as a mess of garbled characters for me. Are you able to read the Matrix or some shit like that?
Google neoGAF on your PS3 and click the 2nd link from the top that says gaming discussion.I think that's the way it worked for me.
I also browse it from my PSP.

Labadal

Let the list war begin!
I'm joking, I'll be elaborating on my list when I get some time.

1. VI
2. IX
3. XII
4. Tactics
5. X
6. TA
7. VII
8. V
9. VII CC
10. IV
11. TA2 (Currently playing.)
12. I
13. VIII
14. XIII
15. III
16. MQ
17. II

Let me add that the only games I don't like are FFII and Mystic Quest. The games that had some things that were good: XIII, VIII, I and III. All the other games on the list are games I would give a high score if I had to rate them.

Apenheul

Man God said:
It also has a perfectly reasonable auto attack system and the cutscenes are pretty decent.

Also it may be a minority opinion but I just hate the flash game looking sprites of the three PSP games (I, II, IV) and prefer the old school look of the GBA version.

You are not alone, graphically I like the SNES/GBA versions most, although I must say that I enjoyed FFIV DS a little more because of reasons Aeana stated. It feels like a new game. And it's also one of my favorites in the series.

Apenheul

Final Fantasy II

I don't get why so many people put this entry on the bottom of their list (please spare me the weapon-leveling system argument), I personally liked it better than 1, 3, and 13. It was more streamlined than 1, still allowing for exploration but at least gave some decent hints as to where to go, and the progression was really good IMO.

ULTROS!

FFXIII

This game has the best seamless cutscene to battle transition ever. You won't notice a thing!

Billychu said:

Ill show you a pic once I get my laptop. Strange, hope Im not the only one to be able to do this.

Chiave

Alpha-Bromega said:
FINAL FANTASY X
The fight between
The Lion dude and his brothers
on Mt. Gagazet made me tear up. The music transitioned into the fight, no special battle music, and the fight itself was an extension of the story not in some isolated land.

Hornless! Hornless!

this is the music, imagine this in a touching cutscene and transitioning into a battle and this just continues to play. damn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUZZQ-hvRTs
Damn, that was a good scene. Mt. Gagazet was awesome :<

Top Bottom