• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: "Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat"

Loris146

Software is the biggest issue for MS this gen.

Back in 2006 when i saw Gears of War the first time i thought " I have to play this game at all cost " . Almost the same reaction with Halo 3. I don't feel the same about Gears 4 and Halo 5 at all. I don't care about them and if you don't care about the games it's over. The hardware is unattractive without great games.

Xbox exclusive software lineup for 2017 is definitely the weakest, least exciting in the brand's history. It'll be probably be fine next year and going forward as delayed titles and unannounced in-development ones hit, but the timing of a first party drought couldn't be worse to coincide with the new hardware roll-out. That said, this will still sell to hardcore users and people with money to burn. I'm not convinced it would change all that much if X1X had the greatest software lineup in video game history as the price is too high to do many long-term sales and most console players picked their platforms well before now. Xbox brand is still in rebuild mode until the next gen wave starts in a few years.

Kusagari

If XOX was lower priced, the reason would be best console multiplatform games. Pretty huge reason for many gamers, including me. As a PS4 only owner the best games this gen have been multiplatform anyways and the same was last gen.

But at 499 I think the price is just too much.

MS already lost the multiplatform war when everyone bought a PS4. If you play online games then you buy a system to play with your friends and your friends are on PS4.

El Topo

I still don't understand why people thought they were going to suddenly drop a whole bunch of new games at gamescom.

They never said they would.

Why anyone would expect anything but old trailers, a Jurassic Park theme park game announcement and an unboxing video from a 90-minute live presentation from the biggest videogame conference in the world after an already lackluster showing at E3 is beyond me.

Rough.

But there's really just no reason to have a GamesCom conference so soon after E3. Just not enough time between them.

This is what happens, and even though people know not to get their hopes up, inevitably they do, and feel burned/disappointed.

2 major shows a year really feels like the max, and they need to be spaced apart well. You can drop by other shows, but don't treat them like it's an E3. It just often doesn't go well.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Without even saying anything about the quality of those games (because that remains to be seen, regardless of what our opinions might be based on what we've seen so far), do any of those games make you sit up and think "I really need an Xbox one X for these games"? They are not exactly tour de force showcase games.

Couldn't you say that about any game? Like wasn't The Order at one point supposed to be THE game for Sony for awhile.

You never know what game will end up being the next big thing.

jelly

They picked a bad year to launch it, honestly.

There's no compelling exclusive for people to buy alongside it. And you won't see any mention of the XB1X versions of Call of Duty, Destiny or Battlefront 2 because Microsoft fucked up and let Sony grab the marketing rights for those games.

They are selling the system on specs alone.

I imagine the marketing rights got very expensive for Microsoft after the Xbox One launch or weren't even offered after PS4 ran away in sales and it's possible marketing/spend was cut by Nadella or whoever. They have Shadow of Mordor....

Famassu

I have the exact opposite take. People are buying consoles for multiplatform games more than exclusives. Having the best tech to match the new TV to play Battlefront 2 or whatever is in line with the market.
Not when it costs 200-300€/twice more than the cheapest alternatives that still play most multiplatforms perfectly fine for more casual players who aren't as allergic to imperfect performance/IQ as tech geeks.

SpotAnime

I love this quote:

Eurogamer said:
There were true 4K editions of Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Zoo Tycoon, all perfect for the discerning seven-year-old in your household who throws a hissy fit at the mere mention of checkerboarding.

It's true, and I've said before in other threads: Microsoft gave people reasons to turn on their existing Xbox Ones, or maybe also to buy an Xbox One S on the cheap (sans that exorbitant Minecraft LE edition), but the argument to upgrade to a premium, $499 console just isn't there.

So why did Microsoft bother and not just wait until next generation. That's another thing, this 500 bucks box, what's it's life span before next gen rolls around, 3 years?

Did Microsoft just want the label, Xbox One doesn't suck anymore, look at the graphics?

That price tag should tell you that MS isn't exactly aiming for the top. It's way too premium to compete in the market. They're purposefully serving a niche hardcore.

kiguel182

I think the problem isn't exclusives but price.

A game being PC/Xbox only wouldn't be a problem if the price of the console wasn't so close to a PC. Couple that with the fact that there are also a lot of PC/PS4 exclusives and then it becomes "why not buy a PC?".

I think the 250 Xbox S is a great value for your money but the X? I mean, if you care that much about graphics I guess I can see it but for a bit more you can get good graphics with tons more games. I don't know, it's in a weird position.

Personally this gen made me want to switch for PC + Switch when my PS4 gets obsolete. This whole "is this game coming to my console?" is tiring and it seems to happen way less on PC.

It was not a empty building, what games you want is a personal choice...we didn't say these things when the original Wii outsold its competition, so sales of a system isn't everything. I have a MBA, and make a living analyzing financials...so i am very familiar with quarterly financials and it looks like the Xbox division is doing fine(of course it could be doing better...as every division in every company could) so i really don't understand the "concern".
The Xbox One is tracking better then the Xbox 360, and nobody considered the Xbox 360 a failure, so i really don't understand the narrative from a business point of view, and lastly the most played and highest grossing games on every system are usually multi plat games like Call of Duty, not your last of us, or your uncharted...so exclusives matter, but established games still rake in the most on individual consoles, and of course on a whole.

Duxxy3

Would you rather they not release PC versions?

Not having PC versions would make the Xbox 1 a much more necessary device. That goes for all the cross play games. It's nice that there are PC version, but it detracts from Xbox at the same time. People can disregard the system because it really is not necessary if you have a PC. In my opinion, as much as I love play anywhere, it is a mistake. It's something that Sony and Nintendo would NEVER do.

You're redefining the word "essential", I guess.

Oh you're serious? I'll ignore you from now on in this topic.

More negativity towards Xbox. What else is new at this point? Yes I'm well aware of how shitty their offerings are when it comes to exclusives this year and it's a big problem for sure but honestly it's getting a bit tiresome now.

All I know is that I'll be getting the One X in November and I'm excited to play tons of games on it, whether they are exclusives or not really shouldn't matter all that much then. Let's just enjoy shit for a change.

It's fine if you like what they're offering, but their offerings are not immune to criticism when compared to their competitors.

Phamit

Imo MS is still trying to get away from the TVTVTVT image, the most powerful console for enthusiasts seems to be another step to change their terrible showing pre-launch.

Most people play Multiplats anyway and they do it on console, despite PC versions being available. So not on PS4 is all MS need in terms of exclusives.

Why? You can get them on PC.

How much overlap is there between people with powerful gaming PCs and people who want a console but haven't bought one this gen?

I don't think the fact that you can get a lot of MS 'exclusives' on PC is that big a deal to a great number of people.

Whoever they praise/critisize in the article at hand.

It's simple:

Praise PS thing -> Sony bias
Praise Xbox thing -> Microsoft bias
Praise Nintendo thing -> Nintendo bias
Say Xbox is better in a game comparison -> Microsoft bias
Say PS is better in a game comparison -> Sony bias
Be critical of Sony -> Microsoft bias
Be critical of Microsoft -> Sony bias
Be critical of Nintendo -> ?? SEGA bias ??

Of course there's also the idea that they are just chiming in with their opinion without any overarching agenda, but that's ridicolous if you can instead subscribe to the idea that they have stock in the opposing company just because they said something critical people might not agree with.

That's because Eurogamer are sensible chaps with impeccable taste and they have a clear Amiga bias like all right-minded folk.

Sadist

Well you know, they're not wrong.

The Xbox One X itself, the message was just as vague and not very satisfying when the Pro was shown. There is nothing wrong with having a slew of great third party titles, but at this point in time, for some people looking into buying something new, they want something that has a clear identity. MS keeps on regurgitating "But it has the most POWAH ever!", but that's just stating facts; the consumer wants more: Sony has exclusives people want. Nintendo's message with Switch and the games it has makes everything clear. MS... who knows?

*unless you bought a pc somewhere in the last 8 years.

That list of people who bought a PC within the last 8 years isn't very big.

The One X is for the folks who aren't PC enthusiasts and want the best multiplats right now. I doubt it will sell much compared to the One S, which isn't doing so well either.

I am interested to see how well it does this Fall/Winter.

Also, as some have mentioned, if MS brass was willing to take the hit, $399 would make this thing blow up the ps4 pro, but those hopes were shattered at E3 already.

If you're first (or same month) and have the most powerful console, you don't really need exclusives. If you are late and most powerful console, you kinda do need exclusives - and killer ones at that.

On the other hand, let's say MS did have that Zelda or Uncharted killer game. At $500, one game can't be the persuading factor. You'd need like 3 games previewed and a history that tells fans that there are more "you will want this!" -new games to come in the future for that console. Currently MS is Gears and Halo and the numbers for those are down.

I was thinking something very similar.

I watched a portion of the Major Nelson unboxing video and thought it was corny. The fact that he had those white gloves on was rediculous. I have a $2500+ PC and I don't touch it with white gloves lmao!

Simply talking about it being the, "most powerful gaming console " doesn't mean much without the software to back it up. I'd say Horizon Zero Dawn looks better on my PS4 Slim than anything shown for the Xbox One X.

Without even saying anything about the quality of those games (because that remains to be seen, regardless of what our opinions might be based on what we've seen so far), do any of those games make you sit up and think "I really need an Xbox one X for these games"? They are not exactly tour de force showcase games.

Right, that's why I said that I feel they need a "big" title or two for next fall. =)

shandy706

What Xbox One exclusive is essential to have. Which one is one of the games that will define this generation?

One more thing..

Forza Horizon 3 is probably the best arcade racing game in a decade.

Period

They've set the bar...and it's a lofty one.

Ms are going to struggle with no first party games . All these patches for games I have already played has no appeal to me .

We need NEW first party exclusives , I've already played most these games (or if I haven't because they have no appeal so why would I rebuy a HD version)

Xbox is falling further and further behind and that saddens me because I loved it early on (sunset , rude , recore , quantum ). But they just don't have the original games I want anymore .

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
...At this point in the console lifecycle, Microsoft needs more than prettier versions of multiplatform games if it's to make serious inroads into Sony's considerable lead this generation.

It needs new and exciting games, and just one reason to make the Xbox One X essential - an Uncharted, or a Breath of the Wild, to make the console's case for it. Forza Motorsport 7, as fine as it looks, doesn't quite cut it - alongside Gears of War and Halo, it feels like yesterday's news, and not the shot in the arm that's needed right now.

People have been saying this, although a few Xbox fans have downplayed it, as if EA's Pass or shared multiplatform games make a difference.

Personally I can't think of a more boring game to release alongside the system, then yet another Forza.

Does anyone here really believe this was the final sales pitch?

its the overpowered, niche version of a product that traditionally MS focuses on at home (as opposed to abroad) at a european gaming show.

their pitch for the holiday is "hey if you play a ton of games theres the X and if you dont and you have kids heres a minecraft console cause these little bastards cant get enough of that minecraft shit"

At least in America there's nothing to worry about. Anyone watching any NFL game will know that Xbox X is the most powerful console ever and will be the best place to play madden.

Peltz

I would bet that Microsoft/Xbox becomes the primary marketing partner for many 3rd party games going forward. It's the only way that this strategy works.

Akai__

Brutally honest article, but sadly it's true. All I have this year is Cuphead/maybe Ori 2 and everything else is 3rd party. Kinda bummed about it.

Please step up your game MS. :(

Talk about Eurogamer biting the hand that feeds them with exclusive breakdowns of the tech.

Couldn't agree more though. Has nothing on offer.

We literally had people accusing Eurogamer of being MS shills during the Xbox One X initial "reveal". Now, that they are being rightfully critical, people are saying "biting hands that feeds them". lol

I said this 4 months ago, but any site, that is actually reliable and has a good track record, is not going to suddenly sell out just because they were honored with an initial "reveal".

Guymelef

People say multi platforms sells consoles, not exclusives, ok can be true.
Maybe just a "few" of the PS4 sold this year are thanks to 2017 exclusives, ok can be true.

But the problem at this point is XBO is doing like shit this year even with all those multi platforms.

Not having PC versions would make the Xbox 1 a much more necessary device. That goes for all the cross play games. It's nice that there are PC version, but it detracts from Xbox at the same time. People can disregard the system because it really is not necessary if you have a PC. In my opinion, as much as I love play anywhere, it is a mistake. It's something that Sony and Nintendo would NEVER do.

Sony and Nintendo also don't have the ability to operate within the PC market like Microsoft does. I still don't see it as a bad thing to offer that option.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There's nothing on the horizon. That's the problem. It was for me anyways. Once Scalebound was cancelled, I found nothing of interest and sold my Xbox one.

Just because you don't find Sea of Theives and Crackdown 3, as well as Ori and the Will of the Wisps compelling doesn't mean it's bad.

I didn't like Nioh or Nier Automata. Does that mean the PS4 lineup is garbage and I should sell my PS4?

Nah.

Eurogamer basically confirming what everyone else is thinking for the most part. Aside from prettier games, what's the selling point? Not so much an issue for the PS4 Pro as the PS4 is selling well as is, but with the XB1 not selling, the XB1X needs more of a hook than it currently has.

GHG

Couldn't you say that about any game? Like wasn't The Order at one point supposed to be THE game for Sony for awhile.

You never know what game will end up being the next big thing.

I'm talking about how the games look. Hence "tour de force".

Despite all of its shortcomings, the order was the showcase title for the PS4 for a while from an audiovisual perspective. Much like Ryse was for the Xbox One. I don't see anything like that for the Xbox One X and it's a great shame considering the hardware on offer. You also get titles like that pop up on the PC every now and then like the Crysis Series, Metro games, etc. Considering what Horizon achieved they should have a title at launch that blows the socks off everything else in existence from a graphical perspective.

So yes, we can mention things like state of decay, cuphead, crackdown etc, etc but none of those titles scream "this needs 6tf to look this good, you must buy an Xbox one X to experience this".

Fox Mulder

MS has never really been about first party titles beyond the usual Halo and Forza. They leaned on third parties since the first Xbox and the new exclusives they have tried this gen have been failures.

They lost the generation when they designed the xb1 for TV and Kinect and third parties put out better games on the ps4.

I'm still invested for Forza and better looking third party games. I'm just never going to have interest in PC gaming either.

Top Bottom